Ask all your laptop/desktop questions here

So I got a custom made PC last Christmas, and every so often my PC will not sync to the screen, i had the creator of it to look at it for me, and he took out some of the RAM to make it work, but it's not done anything, really. I turn it on and off until it works, normally dosen't take more than 15+ times, sometimes coming on in one, but since Friday now, my PC's not been working at all, I've tried syncing it to ther screans and even my TV but nothing. It's been fine, I can live with turning it off and on until it works a few times, but this time it's just not working. My screan is syncmaster 913v, I'm on Win 7 btw.

Hi there, I have installed (with disc) FM 2011 onto my pc but when i try to launch it i get and error "cannot run game: failed to set up graphics system". I could play FM 2010 fine but not with 3D also I couldn't use stream on FM 2010. Please HELP!

From now on, if you want to ask about whether this laptop or that desktop is a good deal, or if it would be suitable to run FM or any other game, ask in here.

This will stop the Football Manager discussion forums from getting clogged up with threads that aren't really anything to do with the game.

Subsequent laptop/desktop threads will be closed.

:)
Just out of sheer curiosity,does anybody know why the fan runs as much whilst playing?

cheers guys:)

Hi there, I have installed (with disc) FM 2011 onto my pc but when i try to launch it i get and error "cannot run game: failed to set up graphics system". I could play FM 2010 fine but not with 3D also I couldn't use stream on FM 2010. Please HELP!
http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/f115/xml-issues-failed-to-set-up-graphics-and-crash-dumps-t50859.html
Just out of sheer curiosity,does anybody know why the fan runs as much whilst playing?

cheers guys:)
Are you asking why your fan ramps up its speed while you are play?
If you are, it is because your computer is getting hot and the fan is increasing speed to cool it down.

Hi guys, Having a problem with the installation of 2011 from a disc. Have had it running but then it wouldn't restart saying it couldn't find data. Tried to uninstall which cleared some of the info but not all and now wont run at all. I'm using a 3 year old dell running vista and the game played fine while it was working. any ideas?

I bought my laptop last week, so I'm finding it odd I only have half a star in the graphics display menu. The 3d game runs ok but there's the occasional slowdown.

Is it normal?

Other than the 3D the game speed is ok.

Here are my specs:

Card name: Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator HD
Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
Chip type: Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator HD (Pentium)
DAC type: Internal
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0046&SUBSYS_143A103C&REV_02
Display Memory: 1696 MB
Dedicated Memory: 64 MB
Shared Memory: 1632 MB
Current Mode: 1366 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Last edited:
Not sure if this is a thread for a general laptop query or not, but here goes...

Due to my house having thick walls and 4 people being connected to my network I sometimes have a very weak wi-fi signal. This irritates me as youtube videos can take ages to load. I was wondering if there was some form of "range booster" that would enable me to have a stronger signal ?

Not sure if this is a thread for a general laptop query or not, but here goes...

Due to my house having thick walls and 4 people being connected to my network I sometimes have a very weak wi-fi signal. This irritates me as youtube videos can take ages to load. I was wondering if there was some form of "range booster" that would enable me to have a stronger signal ?

you could get a usb network adapter.

I bought my laptop last week, so I'm finding it odd I only have half a star in the graphics display menu. The 3d game runs ok but there's the occasional slowdown.

Is it normal?

Other than the 3D the game speed is ok.

Here are my specs:

Card name: Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator HD
Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
Chip type: Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator HD (Pentium)
DAC type: Internal
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0046&SUBSYS_143A103C&REV_02
Display Memory: 1696 MB
Dedicated Memory: 64 MB
Shared Memory: 1632 MB
Current Mode: 1366 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Normally spoken laptops have very low 3d graphic cards.
Maybe the little lags you experience are because your laptop is doing stuff on the background like updating or processing? Since you said you can watch alot without problems. One that can give a big lag is the Search Index Switched on. Also the cooling of laptops aren't good. Some might advise to use a sort of gel-thing you can put your laptop on to help cool it. Is your machine getting hot when you watch your game in 3d?

hello,

having not played this for past couple of years i bought fm 2011 yesterday. my old laptop passed away just before christmas so been planing a new one for couple of months but now im planning it all around this game.

im pretty clueless how different specs compare to the suggested requirements so i was hoping folk on here might be able to offer oppinion.

so far i found this Asus laptop £600 down to £485

• Display: 13.3" HD TFT (1366x768, Color-Shine, LED)
  • CPU: Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor SU7300 (1.3GHz)
  • Graphics: Embedded Intel® GMA X4500MHD
  • Storage: 320GB (5400rpm)
  • Memory: 4096MB (2048x2) DDRIII 1066 RAM
http://www.asuslaptop.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=UL30A-QX131V

how would that run? 3d and many leagues?any other suggestions would be great thanks, i'd hugely appreciate any advice. my only real plans for this are to rock fm 2011 and some kinda music software perhaps like reason or ableton.

i think £500ish would be my preferred budget.

cheers again guys

steve

your memory of 4GB is great and dual processor is good too. The graphics card is standard but good enough to not experience lags.

What kind of music software you talk about? I know for sure that Traktor DJ Studio works great on this machine you'd like to buy.

excellent mate thanks very much. would i have trouble running more than a couple of leagues? i used to struggle with just scottish and anglish on my old one.

i have only really used FL Studio before but wanted to upgrade to something a bit better. just for programming tunes. spacey dub style tunes

People with Asus laptops...How have you got on with it? Is it alright? and Do you recomend Asus laptops.

i downloaded the game from the internet and cannot get the latest patch can anyone help

my laptop has no disk drive how can i play fm 11 can you buy it from a site and download?? sorry if already been asked

my laptop has no disk drive how can i play fm 11 can you buy it from a site and download?? sorry if already been asked

you can buy it from steam. You don't need a disc to play it

cool mate cheers and what about new patches how they work and updates can you get them even tho the games on steam