Ask UNCLE MAD (UNCLE MAD'S BOX OF CHOCCY'S)

• Thread starter Thread starter MANUMAD
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 217
  • Views Views 83K
I actually think that FM14 is the worst in the series (one man's meat is another's poison I guess). So I prefer FM15 obviously. On release it had some issues (esp almost all goals from a cross etc) but now everything seems to be fixed. So yes, its more than worth it ... and as always there's many teams that one can have enjoyable saves with. So far Ive really enjoyed: Lanus/Grasshoppers/AC Milan/Sassuolo/Midtjyland.

So i think the below scenario won't happen very often right?

View attachment 775097

BTW Ive just "spring cleaned" this thread, updated it etc ...

I very rarely do it. I generally appoint staff depending on their stats but also their personalities (to get better quality newgens)

Oh, just to make sure I understood you clearly, ALL coaching staff (coaches, *** man) contribute to the regens personalities?
I've always thought it was just the staff in charge of youth intake, normally the HOYD.

If all staff matters, would you go as far as to say even physios, maybe scouts or u-19 coaches also play a role in what personalities the regens get?

This years version I've noticed upon youth intake it says "these players were added because of the HOYD/staff in charge of youth intakes' personality.

I have a ***-man with professional personality now but his contract is running out and he want crazy money to renew (and he's not a good ***-man stat wise) so I'm intrigued to hear your answer!

Oh, just to make sure I understood you clearly, ALL coaching staff (coaches, *** man) contribute to the regens personalities?
I've always thought it was just the staff in charge of youth intake, normally the HOYD.

If all staff matters, would you go as far as to say even physios, maybe scouts or u-19 coaches also play a role in what personalities the regens get?

This years version I've noticed upon youth intake it says "these players were added because of the HOYD/staff in charge of youth intakes' personality.

I have a ***-man with professional personality now but his contract is running out and he want crazy money to renew (and he's not a good ***-man stat wise) so I'm intrigued to hear your answer!

Im not sure actually. On the one hand, the HOYD's personality is explicitly mentioned ingame (the message you get in your inbox about new youth intake talks about the HOYD's personality). But the FM legend that is CLEON, in a thread about AJAX and the T.I.P.S. system that they follow on youth and how that can be translated into FM with AJAX was implying that all coaches must have good personalities to get better youths. So I go by that - hence what I wrote above.

Here's the link:Ajax - When Real Life Meets Football Manager - FM14

Blow me!

Mediawatch has been trotting around rather casually thinking that Wayne Rooney is a better striker than he is a midfielder, purely on the grounds that he is a better striker than he is a midfielder. But what we have been lacking is statistical analysis to prove this point; thankfully, the Daily Telegraph's Charlie Eccleshare is here to - in his words - 'blow our minds'.

At this point, we had to make a cup of tea, take a deep breath and loosen our trousers.

Through a series of graphs and graphics, Eccleshare (whose name prompted a discussion that ended with the wonderful northern moniker Strongitharm) walks us through the key data...

* 'Looking at the two main attacking metrics of goals and assists, we can see that Rooney benefits slightly from playing in a more advanced role.'

Consider our minds blown.

* 'Rooney is able to get more shots off and more touches further forward when playing up front.'

Consider our minds further blown.

* 'Looking at the metrics that measure more defensive, and midfield contributions, unsurprisingly Rooney provides more when playing deeper.'

Consider our minds seriously blown.

* 'The overall difference to Manchester United is negligible, both in terms of results and goals scored, whether Rooney is played up front or midfield. What does come across though is how shot-shy and positionally withdrawn Rooney is when playing in midfield.'

So, in summary: Striker shoots more when played as striker.

BOOM.

I had 38 shots on goal and 10 ccs and yet I lost 1-0 to a team that had 2 shots!

... FFS isnt FM so unfair/unrealistic (I want my mummy!:'()

In this post I will attempt to give people ideas as to why such things happen sometimes and how to deal with and/or prevent them.

1. You must watch matches on Extended at least (best on comprehensive) to understand whats happening in a match and how to deal with it.

2. Look at opposition reports, opposition squads, previous matches of opposition but esp opposition's league position and reputation - TO UNDERSTAND WHETHER they will attack you OR be happy to sit back give you space in front of them soak the pressure and hit you on the counter. It really is that straightforward: the AI in all matches has these two options and works to exploit space (esp space behind you).

3. Equally simple is the logical outcome of the two ways that the AI will choose to play against you: those who attack and press you aim to push you back and restrict space in front of you (but - CRUCIALLY - leave space behind them to be taken advantage of). Those who sit back are happy to give up space in front of them but restrict the possibility of your players finding any space behind them.

4. If you do the background work as above you ll be able to predict which of the two options will be used against you so that you will be able to try and deal with them.

5. As alluded to by the post title and the first sentence, too often I see people coming on fm base to complain that they got beaten by a weak team despite total domination in match, having the (far) better players and when I read about their experience I see that they essentially play the same way against all opponents. Or if they dont, they make counterproductive changes.

6. People usually have a tactical setup that is more defensive (counter even) to use against stronger sides or away and a more attacking one to use against the weaker ones. Thats not necessarily the way to go (at least not always).

7. As indicated above, sides who attack you leave acres of space behind them for you to take advantage of. Through balls work better against them for example. But also mentality changes and role changes of a couple of crucial players (eg wingers). If you watch matches properly you ll see whether they tend to attack more from one side (so - aim to exploit it by having players running into the space behind opposition players on that side). You can go more attacking yourself (either as a whole or particular players) but that is risky as it would leave space for the opposition to exploit. Another option would be to sit deep and get them to come forward then fight for the ball, win it and launch quick counters to exploit the space left behind the opposition.

8. But, more to the point, what do you do if a team refuses to come out of its shell and restricts space behind it to be exploited by you? Do you press and attack like **** hoping they'll make a mistake to let you through to score? I sometimes do that myself but if the opposition can retain their shape then you re likely to lose (because you really leave acres and acres of space behind you to be easily exploited), and blame the game when really you should be blaming someone whose name starts with "s" and ends with "elf"! What if you set a trap of your own to lure them out of their shell so that you can find pockets of space behind them to exploit? What if you set your own team to be defensive or with a counter or standard mentality or not use pressing TIs? If you are the better team, they'll see the space in front of them and try to move forward and you can then easily pick them off and use the now exposed space behind them.

9. Dont forget width. You can use it to go "round" players or to restrict space yourself. Dont thinkthat width is only the y narrower" or "play wider" TIs. Its other things also such as: instructing fbs/wbs to stay wide, using the right mentality (attacking naturally employs wider formation for example), different roles (eg: the Raumdeuter is a space finder ...) etc

10. So what do I do against teams to park the bus? In a simple step by step process:

(a) Start with a standard mentality and a formation which has width (note that formations such as a 4231 with the 3 "AMs" being narrow in the middle (eg SS-EG-SS) can still have width if the players in the fb positions are wbs on attack and if the the two SS are given TIs to run towards the flanks).

(b) Watch the match carefully esp the first 15/20 minutes. If you see your players being forced to shoot from distance, have little penetration or keep losing sitters then time to change.

(c) Using the above narrow 4231 formation as an example- push the (currently sitting narrowly) SSs in the AMR and AML positions and turn one into an IF (support) and the other to a WINGER (attack). Have the IF sit narrower and instruct the wb behind him to overlap (TIs stay wide and move further up). At the same time add the play wider TI but also change your own mentality to COUNTER.

(d) Watch match for a while. Do you see any changes in the behaviour of both sets of players? Try to change individual player roles and/or give them additional PIs to press and/or move into channels and/or more direct passes (ie instructions which are designed to exploit space). If not much changes then go DEFENSIVE.

(e) Still cant break them down? In the 50th minute change formation in reaction to the oppositions play till that point.

(f) Still cant break them down? around the 65th minute become more aggressive (eg change mentality to control).

(g) Whatever you do dont play the last 15 minutes of such matches (where you re the much better team pounding the opposition) with attacking and/or overload and with too much pressing as thats when the AI/the game tends to punish you.

(h) Generally be mindful of the need to create movement to stretch opposition.

This wont always succeed but at least it will help you to be able to understand what is really happening in matches and you will be satisfied that you tried, by taking steps, to change stuff to gain advantages.

This thread in a way was sparked by my yesterday's match against BRENDN in the FM BASE league thingy. I started with a set of tactics went 2-0 in front but he changed approach a number of times, scored a goal in the 61st minute and I then had to keep tweaking to keep him out in what was a progressively very nervous last 15 minutes for me ...

Last edited:
OK, LFC ARE HATEFUL BUT LOLOLOLOLOL THE ****!

Pride Before A Fall
"When you talk about a guy to play in your place, you feel offended because it is your place. I hear them saying: 'They have Giroud and Welbeck but they need a world-class attacker'. It is like saying, we are not world-class attackers. There some things said which really p*** me off. It is human. I don't have an inferiority complex. I don't have their names but, on the stats level, I am just behind Diego Costa and Sergio Aguero" - Olivier Giroud, February 24.

Just a shame Wednesday night's game was played on grass rather than the "stats level", eh Olly?

AND:

Writes Neil Ashton in the Daily Mail: 'Only the hippest expert will pretend he knew how Monaco would approach this game before they trained at the Emirates on Tuesday. The rest of us were guessing. So was Wenger.'

Or, alternatively, anyone who watched one of Monaco's six Champions League group games or any of their recent Ligue Un games would know how they would approach the game.

It's not as if staying compact defensively and aiming to hit a side on the counter attack is a ground-breaking new football strategy. Still, shame on Wenger for not being one of the 'hippest experts'.

And LOLOLOL this ffs!

An Easy Solution
Said Brendan Rodgers on Liverpool's European schedule: "That extra period of 48 hours that City have could be crucial, certainly physically, especially as we will have very little preparation time. It'll just be about recovery. We can't train on the pitch at Anfield, we can't make it any worse than it is, so we're having to train during the day. But that's the way it's been dealt and we'll deal with it the best we can."

Poor Brendan. If only there had been some way that Liverpool could have avoided playing on Thursday nights and instead had Tuesday or Wednesday fixtures. Like beating Basel at home, for instance.

****** **** it never stops!!!

Reality Bites
Brendan Rodgers, February 19: "If we were in the Champions League now with this group and the confidence we're showing and the way of working then we would have had a chance."

February 26: It turns out that 'this group' is only capable of winning tournaments they're not actually in anymore.

Uncle MAD, what team shall I be?

Some ideas for saves:

1. Deportivo Cali - Colombia

Pros: The biggest stadium in Colombia. A bit of a sleeping giant. Huge squads (albeit not of terribly good players). Can challenge for honours outright but can you really build them up financially AND get them win continental competitions AND be self sufficient player-wise?

Cons: Too many matches per season. Only 4 foreign players allowed. Most Colombian players you can buy are **** (this may be a pro depending how you see stuff as it makes managing them more of a challenge).

2. Midtjyland - Denmark

Pros: Secure financially. Awesome squads full of young quality players (incl Pione Sisto, Sviatchenko etc). Not the best team in league so a bit of a challenge. Not too restrictive non-eu players rules.

3. Olympiacos - Greece

Pros: Background sugar daddy (I think). Squad likely to walk the league 1st season. But can you do something in Europe?

Cons: Squad is old with a lot of class players in on loans only.

4. Vitoria and Botafogo - Brazil

Both these teams are in the 2nd division. But squads are 1st division standard. They have enough to make them springboards for long term saves.

5. Duisburg - Germany

3rd Division. Good squad for level and not bad set up for long term save

You, good sir, are like Santa Claus for FMers, so many wonderful presents to unwrap! BUMP!

Last edited:
BURNLEY: RESPECT

In a bottom half in which every team has underperformed for significant periods of the season, Burnley keep on offering an example of how it can be done. Every time you think they have sunk without trace, Sean Dyche and his players pull another rabbit out of the hat. After seven games without victory, Manchester City were beaten by a team that will not give up.It would be an incredible achievement if Burnley could stay up. They have spent £51m on transfer fees in their entire 132-year history. Sunderland, one point and one place above them, have spent £78m in the last 32 months. This is a club playing at a level far above its station, and they have taken 40% of their points against the top seven.
The most impressive aspect of Burnley's unlikely survival bid is their total commitment to the cause. Their success is not achieved through any miracle formula or a reliance on expensive signings, but a dedication to fitness, stamina and hard work.
Dyche's side have covered a greater distance and made more sprints than any other team, with George Boyd in particular receiving notable praise for his tireless running. Boyd is keen to point out that this is a team game, and at Turf Moor that's easy to see. All for one and one for all is the only way to achieve more than the sum of your parts.
Burnley's hopes of survival are still slim. They face Southampton (a), Tottenham (h), Arsenal (h) and Everton (a) in their next four matches, and probably need to take four points from those games. But whatever happens between now and May, I was wrong about Burnley. Dismissing them out of hand in September was foolish, for there is plenty to admire in the power of collective diligence.

i never play with a real dm.
only a ball winning midfielder.
and a dynamic midfielder.

bwm dynamic md

aml support adv playmaker winger cut inside

most matches get 61% possession.
and like 10 shots on goal of the total around 18 shots.
the left winger shoots to many but can't get that number down.

LOL! The Daily Mirror

Impressive Cameo
Substituted at half-time, Adam Lallana was justifiably awarded a 4/10 rating by the Daily Mirror having missed Liverpool's only chance of the first half and been generally a bit meh.

Alberto Moreno was also substituted after a desperately poor 66 minutes and, also justifiably, was rated as 4/10 by the Mirror.

Steven Gerrard lasted only 38 seconds, in which he made one tackle before getting himself sent off for a clear stamp on Ander Herrera. Can you guess what the Mirror gave him out of ten? Yep, four.

What. A. Tackle.

i never play with a real dm.
only a ball winning midfielder.
and a dynamic midfielder.

bwm dynamic md

aml support adv playmaker winger cut inside

most matches get 61% possession.
and like 10 shots on goal of the total around 18 shots.
the left winger shoots to many but can't get that number down.

Not sure what you re asking me mate.

But -

1. Do you know what a bwm is/does? He tends to roam always following the opposition player in mf who is holding the ball. So he's much different than a dm/anchor
2. You say that you cant get aml player to shoot less? Try giving him the following instructions: sit narrower -+- shoot less (and maybe dribble more)
3. Whats a dynamic md? Is he a cm? with what PIs?

MANUMAD, going into my 8th season with portsmouth in the prem i have a great formation that works against everyone apart from the top 4 away. Thinking about setting up a 4-5-1 or 4-1-4-1 counter attacking formation. Any advice on player roles and player/team instructions?

I have a strong back 4 (wisdom and 3 regens), Kongolo, kasami, matic, cook for cm and some good regen wingers and strikers

Back