Attempting to replicate Dortmund's Gengenpressing

• Thread starter Thread starter manutd7182
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 229
  • Views Views 73K
Does this tactic work when not on classic mode? And anyone tried it with team other than Dortmund? Aha
I'm currently playing my 4th season with Chelsea (I make no transfers, just what I have + academy), but I'm using this tactic for like 1,5-2 seasons and it's brilliant! I agree, I had to tweak some little things like playing fluid against weaker teams to avoid 0-0/1-1 draws, or to give more attacking freedom for my fullbacks and the trio behind the striker, but it's just like I love to play - high press, super-fast counters and Lukaku scoring a looot of goals (43 last season) :D

Oh, im with you thanks for that! how do i know what version i am playing? cant remeber what one i clicked?

I think one of the difference between classic and normal is that the tactics require time to get used to in normal, the fluidity of tactic, whilst I think it's just plug and play in classic, though I'm not 100% certain. Never played Classic

Does this tactic work when not on classic mode? And anyone tried it with team other than Dortmund? Aha

It's the same match engine, classic or normal and I've been using this tactic with Manchester United and I'm on my 4th season. Although it is United. Haven't tested with a lower team though I've had some positive feedback from users who is managing a lower league club.

Maan,
I play as ManU and I got some problems with that. I usually do not have big possesion and even my defence is not good - I often get some goals from counter attacks and balls behind my defend line. And also I do not score goals, just max 2 per match. Dunno why :/ What to do with that?

Last edited:
Maan,
I play as ManU and I got some problems with that. I usually do not have big possesion and even my defence is not good - I often get some goals from counter attacks and balls behind my defend line. And also I do not score goals, just max 2 per match. Dunno why :/ What to do with that?

Have you tried reading the first post and some of the comments given by the different users? As this tactic isn't really a plug and play tactic and it needs you to focus on what the opposition does during the match. As for balls behind your defensive line, fast defenders or pull back the defence line may help. Offside trap against fast attacks can also help but beware of their movement. If they have high movement then do not use the offside trap.

This tactic has an amazing level of pressure and it's one of the best for FM 14 but needs some tweaks for the CF. I was playing with BVB and Lewandowski was AWFUL but the armenian was at level of Messi in 2012. Realy.

This tactic has an amazing level of pressure and it's one of the best for FM 14 but needs some tweaks for the CF. I was playing with BVB and Lewandowski was AWFUL but the armenian was at level of Messi in 2012. Realy.

Dave aka Lewandowski, is not a CF by nature, probably where you are going wrong :P

Try changing it to a DLF and see if that changes anything if you're using Lewandowski.

Dave aka Lewandowski, is not a CF by nature, probably where you are going wrong :P

Surprisingly I've managed to get Lewandowski to perform in a CF role.

By far the best tactic around.
Im using the V2 Attack with Spurs, home & away completely dominating games with 65-70% possesion, 20+ shots and winning by 4,5 and 6 goals.
I was 1 defeat away from being sacked but now we're cruising.
Well done, great tactic.

No, no, no - he is a CF, but Klopp played him behind Barrios in the early years, but in the national team and Lech Poznań (his club before BVB) he was always played on CF position :) But if you have a big striker like Lewandowski, you can set your fullbacks to attack and give them an instruction to cross more - my Lukaku is banging a ton of goals because of that :D

Im using the V2 Attack with Spurs, home & away completely dominating games with 65-70% possesion, 20+ shots and winning by 4,5 and 6 goals.
Well done, great tactic.

Cheers bud! Hope it continues working well for you.

No, no, no - he is a CF, but Klopp played him behind Barrios in the early years, but in the national team and Lech Poznań (his club before BVB) he was always played on CF position :) But if you have a big striker like Lewandowski, you can set your fullbacks to attack and give them an instruction to cross more - my Lukaku is banging a ton of goals because of that :D

Great stuff mate. Good to see these tweaks are working well for you man!

Well done, great tactic.

Looks nice :) what type of training do you use ?

I applied this tactic mid season, so at that point we were already on a mixed regime.
I'm sure there is good advice on the first page regarding training and tactic fluidity ;)

Looks nice :) what type of training do you use ?

Think I did mention on the first page. But it's Tactics, Tactics Only with Very High intensity during pre-season. Then Balanced and Attacking Movement with Average Intensity during the season.

I've noticed that after a season or 2, your tactic fluidity becomes at least 75% at the start of pre-season after using the tactic and I then use Team Cohesion and Tactics Only with Very High during Pre-season and the same as above during the season. But only use this change when you notice your tactic is at least 75% fluidity at the start of pre-season.

This tactic is great but I have one problem, I can't get my strikers to score at all. In fact, I can't even get them to play well.

Playing as Arsenal, I've tried Giroud as a CF, AF, TM and Poacher, and he didn't score once and didn't ever get a rating higher than 6.5.

Then I tried Walcott as a CF, AF and Poacher, with the same result. No goals, poor performances.

At the moment the only players that are scoring on a regular basis are the wide players.

Any advice?

This tactic is great but I have one problem, I can't get my strikers to score at all. In fact, I can't even get them to play well.

Playing as Arsenal, I've tried Giroud as a CF, AF, TM and Poacher, and he didn't score once and didn't ever get a rating higher than 6.5.

Then I tried Walcott as a CF, AF and Poacher, with the same result. No goals, poor performances.

At the moment the only players that are scoring on a regular basis are the wide players.

Any advice?

Try setting Giroud to CF or AF and give wide men the instruction of crossing often (I don't know how is it called exactly in english ver) and also ensure, that Giroud has the instructions of roaming and looking for a position (there are two similar instructions, one under another, click them both) and see if that works. My Lukaku scored like 46 goals in a season :D

Any advice?

Giroud, CF with Move Into Channels and Roam from Position
And don't use Walcott as a CF because he's not a CF.
Oh and set your Full Backs to Cross often. Maybe this helps. Hope it works for you.

Do you have any advice for vs. teams playing 4-5-1? I find that if I use the attack version, my defensive line gets exposed too often, so I've been trying control instead. It seems you really need good defenders for this tactic or else you're really vulnerable to counterattacks.

Back