Attempting to replicate Dortmund's Gengenpressing

• Thread starter Thread starter manutd7182
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 229
  • Views Views 73K
are you playing rooney as ap? i think the problem i have is i ahve no wingers sold them all when using old tactic so have to play de bryune and welbeck there

are you playing rooney as ap? i think the problem i have is i ahve no wingers sold them all when using old tactic so have to play de bryune and welbeck there

I play Rooney as AP yes. As for the wingers, I use Welbeck, Kagawa, Januzaj and Zaha there. Zaha being more of an actual winger than the other 3. So I think Welbeck and De Bruyne will be fine in these positions.

For me the new version is worse than the V2 - it feels a lot stiffer and also less efficient in scoring goals :( Maybe it's the players who I have at Chelsea, but it doesn't dominate the opponent like the V2 used to.

For me the new version is worse than the V2 - it feels a lot stiffer and also less efficient in scoring goals :( Maybe it's the players who I have at Chelsea, but it doesn't dominate the opponent like the V2 used to.

Hmm I see, I've made an additional change is that I've shifted the striker more to the right. Maybe it would help if the wing back's are pulled back, but keeping their roles and duty. See how that goes.

So as I've promised, results from my Liverpool save. Using V2, this is by far the best counter attacking tactic I've played. Even games against smaller teams, in which they let me control the possession, I'm applying a lot of pressure and scoring very well.
View attachment 441139View attachment 441136

A couple of matches example. This swansea team was 4th and on a winning streak when I faced them. Here's what happened.

View attachment 441135

And as far as the pressure goes. Here's a nice little game against City.

View attachment 441138View attachment 441137

As you can see, pressure works great. I'm very happy with this tactic, and even my board don't mind it even though one their philosophies is possession and attacking football. I still get more possession than the other team in most game, but score mostly from counter attacks. Losses are few, and either against great teams (barcelona, ajax) or when morale is low (reading).
As far as the striker goes. I have Suarez and Lewandowski. Suarez is loving this tactic, when I play him up front he scores brilliantly. This tactic generally fits him well and he scores from every one of the front four positions.
Oddly enough, Lewandowski is struggling playing up front, and doesn't score as often. But as results are great, and I do have other players that are scoring well (Insigne and Harry Wilson on the IFs are doing brilliantly), I don't really mind.

Well done mate, very good tactic, especially considering so many tactics are failing with this patch.

I'm going to try this with Manchester United. My front 4 are Insigne(Left inside forward), Januzaj(CAM), Regen(Right inside forward) and Fierro as a striker. Which version do you guys think is best?

edit:what changes were made in the 3.1?

So as I've promised, results from my Liverpool save. Using V2, this is by far the best counter attacking tactic I've played. Even games against smaller teams, in which they let me control the possession, I'm applying a lot of pressure and scoring very well.
View attachment 450749View attachment 450757

A couple of matches example. This swansea team was 4th and on a winning streak when I faced them. Here's what happened.

View attachment 450758

And as far as the pressure goes. Here's a nice little game against City.

View attachment 450752View attachment 450755

As you can see, pressure works great. I'm very happy with this tactic, and even my board don't mind it even though one their philosophies is possession and attacking football. I still get more possession than the other team in most game, but score mostly from counter attacks. Losses are few, and either against great teams (barcelona, ajax) or when morale is low (reading).
As far as the striker goes. I have Suarez and Lewandowski. Suarez is loving this tactic, when I play him up front he scores brilliantly. This tactic generally fits him well and he scores from every one of the front four positions.
Oddly enough, Lewandowski is struggling playing up front, and doesn't score as often. But as results are great, and I do have other players that are scoring well (Insigne and Harry Wilson on the IFs are doing brilliantly), I don't really mind.

Well done mate, very good tactic, especially considering so many tactics are failing with this patch.

Glad to see V2 is performing well. I've also released a V3 for people who are sort of struggling with V2 to see if there are improvements with that version but still, it's good to see the original system is performing well for you. Hope this keeps up!

I'm going to try this with Manchester United. My front 4 are Insigne(Left inside forward), Januzaj(CAM), Regen(Right inside forward) and Fierro as a striker. Which version do you guys think is best?

You can give both V2 and V3 a try. Give both tactics a go for a number games each and see which one is working the best for you.

Hmm I see, I've made an additional change is that I've shifted the striker more to the right. Maybe it would help if the wing back's are pulled back, but keeping their roles and duty. See how that goes.

We might be thinking in a similar way, because I've already tested that in few matches - still nothing noticeably better. I'll be tweaking and testing, and I'll post if I get to something good :D

edit:what changes were made in the 3.1?

Just the crossing from my wingers. Nothing major.

We might be thinking in a similar way, because I've already tested that in few matches - still nothing noticeably better. I'll be tweaking and testing, and I'll post if I get to something good :D

Yeah, I noticed that for V3, although my team does dominate. The striker doesn't always perform compared to V2. But for V2, the left winger does not get involved at all, hence I tried to replicate the Gotze/Reus combination by shifting my CAM to the left. As well as noticing sometimes for V2, my team can get done by a through ball via the middle hence why I've pulled back my BMW to a DM role and pushed the Full backs forward to try and limit the space for the opposition. Hope you manage to find something good mate, I'm still trying to tweak this tactic to get this as best as possible haha.

I don't know if it was a coincidence but Insigne wasn't getting involved at all during the 1st half of my match, switched his role from support to attack and he scored 2 goals and made 1 assist in the 2nd half.

Back