• Draw

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Real Madrid

Votes: 6 31.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Love the Barca hatred in this thread.
Also love the fact that nobody mentions that Madrid were just as bad as Barcelona? I guess jealously plays a part there.

"Trouble ahead? RT @barcastuff: Ronaldo: Do I like to play in a defensive team like Madrid? No, but I have to adapt to what the coach wants" not good. Bye Bye Mourihno?

Indeed. "Jealousy" or a general feel that for all their wonderful football, Barca are quite an ugly football club for several reasons; including surrounding the referee and trying to get someone sent off at every possible opportunity for minimal contact.

Busquets has done it three times in 2 years now, hasn't he? Vs Inter and now vs RM twice?

Yes, Pique is quality, and Busquets does his job very well. Dani Alves isn't great at defending though, and I don't rate Valdes that highly either. At full strength they are better, but if it is anywhere near today's line up for the final then I would be very pleased. I can't see a left back at Barcelona that will be able to cope with Valencia's pace.

If Arsenal had Vermaelen available for the majority of the season then they might well still be challenging for the league. I honestly think their defence is underrated

Valdes is a great keeper just unlucky to be Spanish. He has won the Zamora trophy 3 times in comparison to Casillas' one. Not saying Casillas is worse but Valdes is great

1. Debatable but just about. Lacks depth though, injuries could become an issue.
2. United also had a much weakened team, with Fabio and Raphael playing on the wings, and O'shea and Gibson in the centre of midfield

I don't know why you are so anti-United. Fletcher can do the job that Pepe did tonight, should SAF ask him to. We are much more disciplined and versatile than Real Madrid, I am no longer scared of Barca. Sure, they are a great team, but Real have shown that they aren't invincible this season, and we are probably better and more defensive than any of the big teams that were in the competition. I'm sure it will be a tense and boring (for the neutrals) game, but I cannot wait for it.

Trust me i am more anti Barcelona than i am Utd. No way is Fletcher the same type of presence as Pepe. Its not in his nature simple as that. Also you say you are no longer scared of Barca because Madrid have proven they can beat them but you forget who is in charge of Madird. Jose has a sensational record against Barca at Chelsea and Inter, like i say i hate Barca more than Utd but i just think Utd will be grinded down too much as the game goes on.

Yes, Pique is quality, and Busquets does his job very well. Dani Alves isn't great at defending though, and I don't rate Valdes that highly either. At full strength they are better, but if it is anywhere near today's line up for the final then I would be very pleased. I can't see a left back at Barcelona that will be able to cope with Valencia's pace.

If Arsenal had Vermaelen available for the majority of the season then they might well still be challenging for the league. I honestly think their defence is underrated

I'm not saying Arsenal's defense is bad, I like Djorou, and I think Koscielny isn't bad, but they don't coordinate well. They need someone to organise the defense and Szczesny isn't doing that either. I don't really like Clichy either, to be honest. I'm absolutely sure Barça's defense will be a much harder nut to crack for United.

I do agree with you, though, on Valencia. One of my favorite players in the Prem, and I think he can run amok on the left. And if Masche is forced to play CB again, even though he was pretty solid (IMO he had a better match than Piqué today), he's shorter than any of United's forwards, and a good cross could very well mean a goal.

I presume the straight red can be appealled, but the damage has already been done. Real can't possibly pull back a two goal deficit without Real opening them up again.

No it cant, unless its a case of mistaken identity then any red card in European football cant be appealed.

Also love the fact that nobody mentions that Madrid were just as bad as Barcelona? I guess jealously plays a part there.

"Trouble ahead? RT @barcastuff: Ronaldo: Do I like to play in a defensive team like Madrid? No, but I have to adapt to what the coach wants" not good. Bye Bye Mourihno?

I admire the football that Barca play, much as I admire Wenger and Arsenal. The fact is though, Barca's poor sportmanship and cheating has evoked a dislike of them that I never before realised. It is a generalisation, however. I have nothing but respect for Messi. He is kicked left, right and centre, gets up and barely complains, battles for every ball and can still produce moments of magic like today. That doesn't disguise the fact that his team cheated to win the game.

I believe José didn't have the best of relationships with Ronaldo since before joining Madrid.

Indeed. "Jealousy" or a general feel that for all their wonderful football, Barca are quite an ugly football club for several reasons; including surrounding the referee and trying to get someone sent off at every possible opportunity for minimal contact.

Busquets has done it three times in 2 years now, hasn't he? Vs Inter and now vs RM twice?

Like most players in most clubs around the footballing world. Which doesn't mean I like it, I absolutely hate it with my heart, but it's become commonplace in recent years, you can't point your finger at anyone in particular.

No it cant, unless its a case of mistaken identity then any red card in European football cant be appealed.

Are you sure? I thought that was two yellows? - eg Fletcher a few years ago when he missed the final

Alright, jealously was perhaps the wrong word to use, but everyone acts as if it's only Barcelona that ever dive, or play act or anything. It's pathetic. Though, i guess because they're successful, everyone loves to hate them, just as everyone loves to hate United, and why everyone loves Arsenal (because they don't win anything). Honestly, every team in Europe (big teams anyway - talking top 4 in each country) does what Barcelona and Madrid did tonight.

Pepe, can easily see why he got a red, went in with the studs showing and i guess the ref will say with 'aggressive' force. Harsh maybe, but easy to see why it was given.

Afellay changed the game imo (as well as Pepe's sending off). He was much more direct than Pedro, and wasn't afraid to run at Marcelo and expose his defensive weaknesses that everyone knows exists. Messi's second was just pure genius, went past at least 5 Madrid players with ease. Can't think of anyone else in the world who can run at that speed, and keep the ball glued to his foot. Incredible.

Sensing that the relationship between Mourinho and Ronaldo isn't great. Didn't look happy at all tonight and his comments after make you wonder. Do Madrid keep the worlds most expensive player, or one of the worlds greatest coaches? One will surely go. Knowing Madrid, it'll be the manager.

Ugly game, but deserved for Barcelona.

and why everyone loves Arsenal (because they don't win anything)

Someone said today that Sergio Ramos was going to transfer to Arsenal, so that he never had the chance to break another trophy again.

Everyone thinks it'll be a Manchester United v Barcelona final?

I'm thinking Schalke v Real Madrid!

Pepe is a kick boxer and deserves all the reds he can get. I'm shocked people say this wasn't a red, perhaps the Brits on this forum are too used to seeing a snapped leg every now and again that this was just a standard tackle for them. If that foot was on the ground this could easily be a career ender.

The match on the other hand was much worse than these teams are capable of and the diving was disappointing till Messi saved the day.

Hopefully the 0-2 will make for a better rematch since Jose can't hide on his anti-football tactics now.

Can RM appeal the red card/suspension of Pepe? Clearly not a sending-off at all..

Missed the 2nd half (saw ITV highlights) but two magnificent goals by Messi gave Barcelona a deserved (just about - having 80% possession and doing nothing with it doesn't give you a divine right to win a game) win on the night. Barca's plan B coming through again.. If at first passing around with no end product doesn't succeed.. Uh... Give it to Messi and watch on.

You have to say that had Pepe been on the pitch, though - the likelihood of Messi scoring that 2nd goal would have been significantly less likely. Not just because it means they have 11 men, rather than 10 but because Pepe had him in his pocket until he was harshly sent off. His no-nonsense approach to man-marking Messi and going in hard whenever he got the ball limited his impact almost entirely.

Getting really sick of Barca (and Real to an extent: Di Maria and Marcelo, particularly) and their ugly antics on the pitch. Both Pedro and Busquets (again - third time in 2 years) fell down holding their faces after minimal contact. The challenge by Arbelona on Pedro wasn't even anywhere near being malicious or anywhere near his face.

@CJACKO - Better defence, same problems. V vulnerable to counter-attacking (especially with Nani getting in behind Dani Alves), inability to defend set-pieces properly (Vidic, Smalling, Ferdinand all brilliant in the air) and lack of adequate cover. If Puyol or Pique are injured, they're pretty screwed. Abidal was superb against Arsenal but may not be able to do that again and Milito is really poor.

They also have a better forward-line, but again - same problems. They don't take a lot of chances - against us, against Madrid several times over - and Utd won't give them as many chances with a better side and not a make-shift Cup side. and they overcomplicate it a lot of the time as well.

The main difference between Arsenal and Barca is that they have Messi tbh. Obviously they're generally a better side but Messi can change a game in an instant - on his own, he's effectively Barca's Plan B: Knock it around for a while and hope for an opening.. If that fails, give it to Messi and watch him go.

Saying that if Arsenal had Messi they would be Barcelona I don't think is true. Barcelona have a better team blend and they know where everyone is to receive the ball. Furthermore Arsenal can't take their chances at the moment where as with Villa up front Barcelona look very impresive. Barcelona are much more advanced then Arsenal and Arsenal would have to improve there strike force as well as getting Messi. Going on to the team blend that Barcelona that can only be acheived how they did it. Most of their players have trained together not only in there youths but as well in the national squad, this is always talked upon but I don't think Wenger gets that starting to buy youth players from the the U.K. would really help with there comunication. This may take years and I know Arsenal have produced some good talent but in order to be a "Barcelona standered" they need to look at their youths and start all the way from grass root level of football.

ugh, ugly game filled bad tempers and bad sportmanship lit up by a moment of genius. If you go defensive against barca, yuo have to play on the counter nt just contain, time and again the ball just came straight back to barca's front line. Real Madrid didnt do enough to test their weaknessed

Neither tie is over but, its likely to be a United-Barca Final

---------- Post added at 01:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:14 AM ----------

Pepe is a kick boxer and deserves all the reds he can get. I'm shocked people say this wasn't a red, perhaps the Brits on this forum are too used to seeing a snapped leg every now and again that this was just a standard tackle for them. If that foot was on the ground this could easily be a career ender.

The match on the other hand was much worse than these teams are capable of and the diving was disappointing till Messi saved the day.

Hopefully the 0-2 will make for a better rematch since Jose can't hide on his anti-football tactics now.

lol career ender? it wasnt even near that kind of area to be a leg breaker for one thing. if his leg had been planted it wouldnt have broken. Perhaps you shouldnt generalise "the brits"

I'm a lot newer to football than most of you I presume.....just started watching in earnest about two years ago (give me a break, I'm american), and have only become fanatic in the past year.....probably mostly because of FM. Like a lot of people, I really admired Barcelona for their unique precision and style and they've been one of the few clubs I'd go out of my way to watch.

But over the past few matches, they've absolutely made me sick to watch, with the incredible petulance and playacting. And while accusations like that are almost universally met with either "everyone does it", or "what about Madrid/CR?", the fact is that no one is close to as ridiculous in their endless attempts to manipulate or deceive the ref at every single opportunity. Only the godlike Messi is immune to it, made even more incredible by the rough treatment he gets on a regular basis, even moreso in these Clasicos.

And maybe its not worth repeating for the Nth time, but Busquets is simply shameless and lacks anything resembling integrity. Its sad that a game like this was one of the few shown on regular cable TV here in America, because this kind of behavior is exactly what prevents the sport from getting any traction in the states. A guy like Busquets would be considered a pariah over here, he would be laughed and/or jeered off the field everywhere he went. They really need to start using replays to clean this stuff up, because it seems like using an adequate number of referees to accurately officiate the game is simply not an option.

Trust me i am more anti Barcelona than i am Utd. No way is Fletcher the same type of presence as Pepe. Its not in his nature simple as that. Also you say you are no longer scared of Barca because Madrid have proven they can beat them but you forget who is in charge of Madird. Jose has a sensational record against Barca at Chelsea and Inter, like i say i hate Barca more than Utd but i just think Utd will be grinded down too much as the game goes on.

Actually one of the bests ways to stop messi is to deny him the space to run into, some that carrick and fletcher do really well. people for get that when we played barca and won, our best tracking mid was playing at rightback. very tough, but doable

I'm a lot newer to football than most of you I presume.....just started watching in earnest about two years ago (give me a break, I'm american), and have only become fanatic in the past year.....probably mostly because of FM. Like a lot of people, I really admired Barcelona for their unique precision and style and they've been one of the few clubs I'd go out of my way to watch.

But over the past few matches, they've absolutely made me sick to watch, with the incredible petulance and playacting. And while accusations like that are almost universally met with either "everyone does it", or "what about Madrid/CR?", the fact is that no one is close to as ridiculous in their endless attempts to manipulate or deceive the ref at every single opportunity. Only the godlike Messi is immune to it, made even more incredible by the rough treatment he gets on a regular basis, even moreso in these Clasicos.

And maybe its not worth repeating for the Nth time, but Busquets is simply shameless and lacks anything resembling integrity. Its sad that a game like this was one of the few shown on regular cable TV here in America, because this kind of behavior is exactly what prevents the sport from getting any traction in the states. A guy like Busquets would be considered a pariah over here, he would be laughed and/or jeered off the field everywhere he went. They really need to start using replays to clean this stuff up, because it seems like using an adequate number of referees to accurately officiate the game is simply not an option.

Totaly agree with you, it ruins the game seeing people theatricaly going down the f.a. need to clamp down on this much harder then they are doing at the moment otherwise players. And yes they do need more officials or technology as football is getting out of control for either silly dives or dangerous tackles.

Actually one of the bests ways to stop messi is to deny him the space to run into, some that carrick and fletcher do really well. people for get that when we played barca and won, our best tracking mid was playing at rightback. very tough, but doable

But that was 3 years ago Mike?? I think we can all agree than Messi has improved just a tad since 2008.

Sensing that the relationship between Mourinho and Ronaldo isn't great. Didn't look happy at all tonight and his comments after make you wonder. Do Madrid keep the worlds most expensive player, or one of the worlds greatest coaches? One will surely go. Knowing Madrid, it'll be the manager.

Mourinho is probably the only manager for Real Madrid if they want to compete with Barca in the long run. Teams are not built in an instant, even Mourinho needs to be given some time before Madrid can actually play on an equal ground with Barca. If one of them is going to leave, I think that one should be Ronaldo. Yes he is one of the best but he is just one player and he isnt Messi. Better option of course would be keeping them both somehow.

About the game, my vote for "the best actor" goes to Di Maria, at one point he didnt wait for any contact to dive, he just did it and got the decision he wanted. What a talent!

Status
Not open for further replies.