Best manager ever?

Bobby Robson, with a transfer budget of nigh on nothing, developing youth, made Ipswich a force between 76 and 82, won the FA Cup, won the UEFA Cup, should have won the league twice... Moved on to England, semi-final... then success in Holland and Portugal before the poisoned chalice of Newcastle.

Think - Cooper, Mills, Butcher, Beattie, Burley, Mills, Muhren, Thijssen, Wark, Hunter, Talbot, Gates, Whymark, Brazil, Mariner, Geddis...

Revie or Wenger. Clough was too arrogant and full of himself to be the best, as he proved at Leeds. SAF hasnt done to bad either in fairness, as much as I dislike him

Surprised at the lack of mentions for Shanks and Paisley.

jose mourinho

Won't be saying that when he takes over from SAF...

---------- Post added at 06:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:47 AM ----------

Surprised at the lack of mentions for Shanks and Paisley.

Two fantastic managers mate...
Shankly built the club and Paisley followed it on..I just think that SAF is a shade above them 2 call me bias but thats my opinion...

Also What Brian Clough done with Derby then Forest was magnificent and will never happen again in this money mad foreign player world of the Premiership,...

Won't be saying that when he takes over from SAF...

well yer I would. I would love him back in the premier league, and I know it's not gonna be with chelsea.. he's still, and always will be, my favourite manager in the world.

Bobby Robson, with a transfer budget of nigh on nothing, developing youth, made Ipswich a force between 76 and 82, won the FA Cup, won the UEFA Cup, should have won the league twice... Moved on to England, semi-final... then success in Holland and Portugal before the poisoned chalice of Newcastle.

Think - Cooper, Mills, Butcher, Beattie, Burley, Mills, Muhren, Thijssen, Wark, Hunter, Talbot, Gates, Whymark, Brazil, Mariner, Geddis...

Another good shout...The nicest man in Football..Sadly missed!

---------- Post added at 06:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:52 AM ----------

well yer I would. I would love him back in the premier league, and I know it's not gonna be with chelsea.. he's still, and always will be, my favourite manager in the world.

Fair enough...I probs say the same if he managed Man U and left..

---------- Post added at 06:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:53 AM ----------

Revie or Wenger. Clough was too arrogant and full of himself to be the best, as he proved at Leeds. SAF hasnt done to bad either in fairness, as much as I dislike him

At least the first language in the dressing room was English...God knows what it is at Arsenal....(6)

---------- Post added at 06:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:54 AM ----------

No way to decide. Clough was a genius with a provincial side - the others listed are at or were at big clubs. Would like to see them cope on a shoestring (relatively speaking).

SAF at Aberdeen...Now that must compare a bit...

Contraversial but, don't get me wrong, what Clough did at Derby and Forest was incredible but what did he achieve post 1980 european cup? Two League cups and a relegation in 13 years...

It has to be Fergie - even if you forget what he has done at United - look at what he did with Aberdeen, 3 titles, 4 Scottish Cups, 1 league cup and 1 european cup winners cup in 7 years...

Then when he joined United they were and average side, with Liverpool, Everton and Arsenal the best teams around, 10 years later United were the dominant force in England and remain so to this day - he doesn't live off the reputation he got for winning a couple of trophies with a small club years ago, he has adapted to how football has changed over the years and managed to keep himself and his teams at the top

Since his first Title with Aberdeen in 1980 these are the years he has been trophyless

Thats it, just 8 years out of 31 that he hasn't won a trophy - phenomenal

"yeah but Clough did it with two small teams on a shoestring" - Aberdeen weren't a big team with lots of money....

Feel free to convince be that i'm wrong, we can have a chat about it and then we'll agree that im right :p

Last edited:
Clough. Those who mention Leeds forget that he took a team of journeymen to back to back European Cups.

Who cares about his short time at Leeds. It's irrelevant. He took Derby to success, and he did the same with Forest. Considering the players he had at the time, you cannot ignore that fact.

The signings he made,too - Trevor Francis. Refused to call him the first million pound player so it didnt go to his head. Roy Keane - who went on to become Uniteds great captain, and Sheringham, who went on to become a legend of the game, and many more such as Robertson, Gemmil, Burns, Viv Anderson, Birtles, Shilton etc.

He also managed to get Forest promoted to the then First Division, and win it straight away. No other team has done this since Clough managed it.

Wouldn't say he was the best manager ever, because certain people such as Fergie/Mourino etc have eluded his achievements, and their own can't be ignored. But if he isn't the best manager, then he's definitely in the top one, as the great man would say.

You all know the answer to this question is José Mourinho, still 90% of you will never admit it.

Miroslav Blazevic or Halihodzic. Both did wonders.
Guardiola, god, such a overrated manager. He changed two things in Barca, he got Dani Alves and Villa, Frank Rijkaard did 99% of work.
Mourinho. Had all the money in Chelsea didnt won ECC, but, with Porto, congratz, tho, little lucky against Monaco ( if i remeber correctly) and with Inter. He stopped Barcelona, well done, but, Bayern Munich is much weaker than Inter. Again, lady luck ( we all know what genius Robben is, that volley agains us, bravo) Both United or Chelsea would beat Inter in final ( we all know that semi-final robbery Barca-Chelsea). Ancelotti, Ferguson, Clough, Paisley, and Ill say is, even Wenger are better IMO
They all had (have) something that Mourinho dont have, consistency with one club. From Chelsea he "jumped" on Internazionale, and after Inter, Real Madrid (After Real, Man City i guess) .I want him far away from Manchester United.
Before spitting, He is class manager. Now go!

Hate to admit it, but Sir Alex is by far one of the best managers ever.

Bill Shankly is the best, though.