Blasphemy! Seven clubs lock horns for the title after sir Alex Ferguson's retirement!

• Thread starter Thread starter KevinHann
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 2K
  • Views Views 373K
View attachment 429044
Confident Red Devils show Fulham who is boss
View attachment 450343
Last Updated: 1st December 2013

MANCHESTER UNITED make real statement to contenders.

We have been reading a lot about Newcastle and their "free-scoring" football. Let it be that way. Whether they get carried away in the spotlight or not is not something we should be concerned with, not at this stage. Because if anything Manchester United are doing their business quietly and efficiently. We are getting the points but we are also showing we can raise our game and score big when needed - as Fulham felt on their backs this weekend.

View attachment 450340
Red Devils have the confidence

All this is even more important because David Moyes and his squad have come under the huge pressure of a full-blown injury crisis without dropping the level of performances. Something none of the other contenders - and especially surprise package Newcastle - can say. This will give the team confidence they can handle whatever comes their way as they have already been past it. Trust me, experience makes the difference in such a difficult league.

View attachment 450339
Pundits eating humble pie

Some pundits rushed to greeting Fulham for their positive start and even went as far as guessing they might have a genuine chance of a top four challenge. I wonder where these pundits are now? Back in their holes or backtracking in their bold yet completely over the top statements, surely. How long will it take till those praising Newcastle now find themselves in the same position?

View attachment 450338
View attachment 450337
PUBLISHED: 11:41 GMT, 1 December 2013 | UPDATED: 11:43 GMT, 1 December 2013

Focus on the positives or road to perdition for Liverpool

The dominant feeling around Anfield after the Tottenham game was one of bitter disappointment. Liverpool had a two goal lead with ten minutes to go but failed to record a much needed win. While I completely understand the fans, Brendan Rodgers has a mammoth task at his hands to shut these emotions out of the dressing room.

View attachment 450335
This place must remain positive

Team morale is the only thing separating Liverpool from hitting a string of good form right now. There were a number of positives for everyone to see in the Spurs game and this is what Rodgers needs to force each and every player to focus on. Should the doubts and disappointment creep in all the good work will be under jeopardy. We have been patient so far and I think we should remain patient a little longer as there is certain progress in the team. Attack is functioning at its best at the moment and we just need to pull a good defensive effort.

View attachment 429064
The fans must believe and help

We are lacking a little bit of confidence and that's what needs to be addressed. The fans can help here. If they feel support from the stands they will improve even further. If they don't feel their efforts are being appreciated they may fold and all the positives I am talking about may disappear. The only road we'll have ahead of ourselves then would be the one to perdition.

Timo Werner? It'd be a luxury buy but I kept him around first team for season 1 while training him a CF Heavy. Dude's got ultimate PA in the game, going to be a beast.

Timo Werner? It'd be a luxury buy but I kept him around first team for season 1 while training him a CF Heavy. Dude's got ultimate PA in the game, going to be a beast.

Thing is he already moved to Dortmund for 11 million in the summer (I think Liverpool failed to sign him on deadline day). I'd love Aubameyang though to be fair.

View attachment 450313
November Watch

View attachment 450312
Premier League Table

The Contenders:

Manchester United (1st; 35pts; +25) - four wins from four games means the Red Devils are still top of the league even if just on goal difference.
Player of the month: Marouane Fellaini (DM/M/AMC) 8.14
1 Current first team injury:
Nemanja Vidic (DC) - 3-11 days (strained knee ligaments)

Newcastle (2nd; 35pts; +24) - the Magpies are defying predictions of impending collapse and remain a single goal off the summit of the Premier League!
Player of the month: Leighton Baines (D/WBL) 7.90
3 Current first team injuries:
Hatem Ben Arfa (AMRC) - 2-3 days (stubbed toe)
Yoan Gouffran (AMRL/ST) - 2-5 days (pulled hamstring)
Landon Donovan (AMRLC/ST) - 2-3 days (strained wrist)

Chelsea (3rd; 28pts; +11) - the Blues only drop points in a fierce draw with Manchester City which brings them one position higher in the table but they slip further away from the top two teams.
Player of the month: Eden Hazard (MC/AMRLC) 7.62
Oscar (MC/AMRC) - 9-12 days (twisted ankle)
Demba Ba (AML/ST) - 4-6 weeks (lower back fracture)
Samuel Eto'o (AMC/ST) - 11-14 days (twisted knee)

Manchester City (5th; 22pts; +8) - just five points for the Citizens this month see them stall fifth in the table and massive 13 points off the top.
Player of the month: Gael Clichy (D/WBL) 7.66
Samir Nasri (M/AMRLC) - 2-3 weeks (sports hernia)
Cristian Tello (AMRL) - 12-21 days (sprained ankle)
Stevan Jovetic (AMLC/ST) - 3-4 weeks (strained ankle ligaments)

Tottenham (6th; 21pts; +8) - Spurs grab seven points from twelve on offer which is enough to get a little closer to the elusive top four.
Player of the month: Christian Eriksen (M/AMC) 8.22
2 Current first team injuries:
Younes Kaboul (DC) - 5-14 days (fractured ribs)
Jan Vertonghen (SW/DLC/DM) - 2-3 weeks (sprained ankle)

Arsenal (13th; 13pts; -1) - five points return this month is only a slight improvement for the Gunners and they know they must do better and soon if they want to maintain their top four status.
Player of the month: Mesut Ozil (AMRLC) 7.30
1 Current first team injury:
Jack Wilshere (M/AMC) - 6-12 days (broken ankle)

Liverpool (16th; 11pts; -3) - five points for the Reds, too which is not good enough to move away from the bottom teams and closer to Europe.
Player of the month: Jordan Henderson (MRC) 7.52
2 Current first team injuries:
Aly Cissokho (D/WB/ML) - 2-8 days (hernia)
Steven Gerrard (M/AMRC) - 3-5 weeks (hip injury)

Other teams to watch:

Aston Villa (4th) - incredible month for the Villains allows them to climb in the top four!

Fulham (7th) - the Cottagers slide down the table but have a game in hand and keep European hopes alive.

Cardiff, Swansea and West Ham are in touch with teams under the safety line.

Everton, Norwich and Hull occupy the bottom three - the Toffees have slided under the line and the latter two have been there for a while but they all can get out with a positive result in the next round so it is all pretty open at the moment.

November Player of the Month:
Marouane Fellaini (Manchester United)
View attachment 450310

November Young Player of the Month:
Eder Alvarez Balanta (Newcastle)

View attachment 450309

November Manager of the Month:
Dimiter Hristov (Newcastle)
View attachment 450304

Leading Goalscorers:
View attachment 450311

Stay tuned for another round of Mark Lawrenson predictions before the next set of Premier League games!

Cardiff City have today unveiled Martin O'Neill as the person to replace Malky Mackay at Cardiff City Stadium. O'Neill brings a wealth of soccer experience with him and his arrival at the club will hopefully signal some promising times ahead for the Cardiff fans.

View attachment 450295
O'Neill replaces Mackay as Cardiff manager

Martin O'Neill is former manager of Norwich City, Leicester City, Celtic, Aston Villa and Sunderland.

View attachment 450285

Premier League predictions: Lawro v Cheryl Cole

BBC Sport's football expert Mark Lawrenson is pitting his wits against a different guest each week this season.

This week he takes on English recording artist, songwriter, dancer and Newcastle fan Cheryl Ann Cole, known as a member of the girl group Girls Aloud, as well as her solo singer career. Her group achieved 20 top-ten singles (including four number one singles) in the UK and six platinum albums (two of which went to number one) and earned five BRIT Award nominations from 2005 to 2010.

View attachment 450280
Lawro vs Newcastle fan Cheryl

A correct result is worth ONE point. A correct score earns THREE points.

Everton - Manchester United
Cheryl Cole: This has surprise written all over it. 2-2.
Mark Lawrenson: I don't think the Toffees are in any shape to steal anything from Manchester United. 0-3.

Hull - Arsenal
Cheryl Cole: Arsenal are too good for a newly promoted struggling team. 1-3.
Mark Lawrenson: The Gunners should win this against rock-bottom Hull although barely. 0-1.

Sunderland - Chelsea
Cheryl Cole: No personal questions here, please. 1-1.
Mark Lawrenson: I think Chelsea will win this. 1-2.

Manchester City - Liverpool
Cheryl Cole: Tough call. I think a draw should be fair. 2-2.
Mark Lawrenson: Given their current state Liverpool would be lucky to get anything from this game. I favour them to score but the Citizens will expose their defensive woes big time. 4-1.

Tottenham - Southampton

Cheryl Cole: This one should be easy for Spurs. 3-1.
Mark Lawrenson: Andre Villas-Boas will want to get back on track for the top four and this is a game that must be won. 1-0.

Fulham - Newcastle
Cheryl Cole: We are doing miracles this season and I see no reason why this has to stop now. 0-2.
Mark Lawrenson: It is about time for the Magpies to be stopped and this is one of the places I can see them drop points. 2-2.

Last week, Lawro got four results right, with no perfect scores. His score of 4 was good enough to beat the predictions of Chelsea fan Bill Clinton, who managed three correct results with two perfect scores.

Total scores after Week Thirteen
Lawro: 53
Guests: 44

Paris Hilton @ParisHilton what a tool @ Marseilles can youiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii--ii---iiie 1m

This is getting ridiculous, how many pens will the referee give?! And where is
Eto'o :'( #CFC #SAFC

Expand

Cheryl Cole @CherylCole what a tool @ Marseilles can you beiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiie 1m

Kicks flying around tonight hope Balanta and Tiote injuries are better than it
looks on TV #FFC #nufc

Expand

View attachment 450267
Premier League
Round 14

Tuesday 3rd December 2013:

Everton - Manchester United 0-2
Bertrand sent off (67); Rooney (1, 23)
View attachment 450266View attachment 450265

Hull - Arsenal 0-1
Cazorla (86)

View attachment 450264View attachment 450263

Sunderland - Chelsea 4-2
Giaccherini (15, 37), Gardner (pen 51, pen 83);
Torres (11), Lampard (pen 58), Azpilicueta sent off (87)

View attachment 450262View attachment 450261

Wednesday 4th December 2013:

Title Contenders Clash
View attachment 450260

Half Time
71' 1-0 Milner
Full Time

Final score

Manchester City - Liverpool 1-0
View attachment 450259View attachment 450258View attachment 450257

Tottenham - Southampton 2-2
Townsend (6), Soldado (70);
Benayoun (48), Ramirez (52)
View attachment 450256View attachment 450255

Fulham - Newcastle 1-4
Rodallega (39); Salvio (26, 55), Remy (44), Cisse (62)
View attachment 450254View attachment 450253

League Table:

View attachment 450252

Stay with Match of the Day for pundit analysis, manager interview specials and many more!

View attachment 450243
View attachment 450242
Premier League 2013/14
Round 14

Gary Lineker: Good evening and welcome to Match of the Day for our thoughts on the fourteenth round of the Premier League season! I will be your host after each round of games and Alan Shearer and Alan Hansen will assist me as we provide fresh post-match analysis. We will be focusing on a game or two we pick from the seven clubs we have highlighted this season - usually that will be the contender derbies.
Alan Hansen: We will also show you some interview specials with the managers right after the games, as well as occasional player profiles.
Alan Shearer: And finally, but not at last place, you will be updated with the latest news on injuries, dressing room events or even rumours surrounding your favourite clubs.
Gary Lineker: So are you ready? What really happened in the latest round of world's best league? Here we go...

1-0

View attachment 450241
Gary Lineker: The match we picked up today saw title contenders Manchester City and Liverpool clash at the Etihad as the hosts were looking to avoid losing further ground to the leaders and the visitors were in bad need of something to climb the table. It was a pretty uneventful game with James Milner scoring the winner for City near the end.
Alan Hansen: I feel Liverpool were unlucky to lose here as it looked their plan to employ an additional defensive midfielder was paying off with City unable to turn possession into goals. Quality off the bench proved decisive here as Milner was introduced at half time and took his only chance in the game to wrap it up for the Citizens.
Alan Shearer: There weren't many inspirational performances here. Clichy picked up the PoM award while Kompany and Zabaleta were also pretty efficient but that's all.
Gary Lineker: Let's see what the managers had to say after the game!

Reporter: James Milner came off the bench to win this game for you. You must be feeling you won the tactical battle with Brendan Rodgers today considering this was your only sub?
Manuel Pellegrini: I felt we needed something little bit extra from the wings as Liverpool were squeezing our play and Fernandinho couldn't offer much against their middle three, yes, but I don't think it took a genius to make that change. We just wanted to expand our game and it worked out nicely, that's all.
Reporter: How important will these three points be in your quest for the title?
Manuel Pellegrini: Obviously I can't talk about the title right now as we are too far behind at the moment. But we will keep concentrating on our games and if we pick up a string of good results we'll see where that puts us.Reporter: Once again we are sitting here discussing how close your side went to a good result only to see the cheese stolen under your nose near the end. It is now December and these results are beginning to add up, aren't you afraid your time to improve is quickly running out?
Brendan Rodgers: I can only comment on this particular game and I thought we were a match for the most expensive team in this league.
Reporter: You must accept the wide expectation before the season started was you would attack a top four position though and things are going in a much worse direction!
Brendan Rodgers: Our league position does not match the ambition and stature of this football club and we are well aware of it. Until I'm told otherwise I as the manager and the players at my disposal will be doing our best to improve.

Gary Lineker: Pellegrini is trying to build some momentum here but his side is struggling for consistency and he knows it. They simply must do better over an extended patch of games but as things stand none of the leading two are giving him any chance to get closer.
Alan Hansen: We keep talking about the pressure on Brendan Rodgers and you can see it is getting to him, he looked a crushed man in that press conference. I wonder how long it will be before the players lose confidence in him.
Gary Lineker: What do you have for us in the news and rumours section today, Alan?
Alan Shearer: The usual reports of pressure on Rodgers are still persisting but Wenger eased the clouds over his head with the hard win away to Hull. Kyle Walker got a groin strain for Tottenham and will miss the next 2-3 weeks. Cheick Tiote will be out for 4-5 days as his knock resulted in a bruised thigh but Newcastle will be happy the injury Balanta picked up is nothing serious and the player should be fit for their next game. Arsenal suffered a setback as Arteta will miss around two weeks with a twisted knee but Giroud was passed fit to play. Chelsea will be without the suspended Azpilicueta and captain Terry is a doubt for the weekend with a bruised thigh. There were no new injuries for the other title contenders.

That is all from this edition of Match of the Day! Watch out for the newspaper columns of our regular pundits to find out their take of the games!

I got Timo Werner for 5.5M + bonuses. And boy, he's grown into a beast at the age of 20 only! Rejected 35.5M bid from Bayern.

First of all, It's one of the best story I've seen on FM Base.... What a detail !! And I think you should consider selling Gouffran and get a true winger. Maybe Tom Ince because his contract run out in 2014 and he's a HG player. And maybe you could buy a free backup GK like Adan or loan one like Butland/Lindegaard/Fabianski/Pantilimon/Friedel. Btw, I'd like to try your formation on my FM save. Could you post the detail of your tactic like OI, general training, match prep, etc ? thanks in advance

Last edited:
First of all, It's one of the best story I've seen on FM Base.... What a detail !! And I think you should consider selling Gouffran and get a true winger. Maybe Tom Ince because his contract run out in 2014 and he's a HG player. And maybe you could buy a free backup GK like Adan or loan one like Butland/Lindegaard/Fabianski/Pantilimon/Friedel. Btw, I'd like to try your formation on my FM save. Could you post the detail of your tactic like OI, general training, match prep, etc ? thanks in advance

In the most immediate terms I'm considering selling Marveaux instead as I have a soft spot for Goofy, but the wings don't look too bad with Salvio and Ben Arfa starting there and Donovan and Depay providing cover. Tom Ince already moved to QPR, I had him on my list but he's just not good enough to fit my criteria. The goalkeeper position might be worth some consideration as Rulli will need time to get citizenship and if Alnwick lets me down I may make a move there.

As for the tactic - I let the assistant handle OI, general training is set to attack and attacking movement (although it took two full months of tactic prep to get it to fluid!), and the individual training of all players is set to the positional specialties that fit the formation (not the other way around). Whoever can't play the role I want them to will have to go.

Ugly wins just what the doctor ordered for Arsenal
Young Gunner fans need to acknowledge the worth of the points

View attachment 450133
Sol Campbell
The Guardian
, Wednesday 4 December 2013

I can see how much the game and the club have developed over the past twenty years by taking a look at the social networks. There are massive complaints about the way Arsenal won this weekend against arguably the worst team in the league. Cazorla's late winner was not enough to please the trophy hungry fans and they are reacting as if we lost the game.

View attachment 450130
Wenger falling victim of his success

To be fair Wenger is falling victim to his own success. The culture of attractive attacking football he installed at Arsenal over his lengthly spell here has spoiled our fans a little. They don't seem to value a good result for what it is if it isn't backed by a top class performance. The older generation remember the days when Arsenal weren't full of flair players though. We were famous for our exceptional defending back then. And to say it frankly that's just what we need right now as the team is evidently going through a very rough patch.

View attachment 450129
Fans need to stand behind the team

The fans need to be patient and stand behind the team. They are entitled to an opinion and are free to share it but that needs to happen after the games. Any attempt to vent frustrations during a match will inevitably affect the players and it will not get any better. As long as we remember this and stand together we will get out of this crisis.​

View attachment 429509
Tottenham need to win home games to challenge for top four
View attachment 450125
Last Updated: 4th December 2013

DRAW against the Saints not good enough for our ambitions.

Andre Villas-Boas was relieved to get a point after Spurs were trailing behind Southampton in the second half at White Hart Lane. A home loss is the worst case scenario but avoiding it must not cover the uncomfortable questions like why we conceded two goals in just four minutes after the break. All due respect to the Saints but they are still a side we must be beating at home if we are serious about getting in the top four this season.

View attachment 450116
Defensive training must improve

It is not the first time we crumble when a team refuses to respect our offensive qualities and comes out without fear. If the opposition comes at us looking for goals our defensive high line seems unable to cope with it and that is a major worry. Extra training sessions are needed and maybe Villas-Boas could do with another specialist in the coaching crew to address this.

View attachment 429538
Spurs face tough competition for top four

We need to remember that the summer spending does not guarantee us a place in the top four and we must look to match the likes of Chelsea and Manchester City, who are already running away. It isn't late to do so but if we are to home form needs to be much more solid than what we are seeing at the moment.

View attachment 450105

Premier League predictions: Lawro v Sarah Michelle Gellar

BBC Sport's football expert Mark Lawrenson is pitting his wits against a different guest each week this season.

This week he takes on American actress and producer, as well as Arsenal fan Sarah Michelle Gellar. Gellar came to prominence in the late 1990s, landing roles in 1997's horror films I Know What You Did Last Summer and Scream 2. She portrayed Buffy Summers on the TV series Buffy the Vampire Slayer, for which she won six Teen Choice Awards, the Saturn Award for Best Genre TV Actress and received a Golden Globe Award nomination for Best Actress ? Television Series Drama. She also gained recognition for her performances as Kathryn Merteuil in Cruel Intentions.

View attachment 449902
Lawro vs Arsenal fan Sarah

A correct result is worth ONE point. A correct score earns THREE points.

Tottenham - Chelsea
Sarah Michelle Gellar: While I think this will be even I just can't help seeing Spurs above us in the table so they must lose! 0-1.
Mark Lawrenson: I believe this will be another home draw for Spurs as Chelsea would be happy with a point at the Lane and have what it takes to pick it up. 1-1.

Fulham - Arsenal
Sarah Michelle Gellar: We must win this. 1-2.
Mark Lawrenson: I'm not sure Arsenal are convincing enough to back an away win here. I'll go for a draw. 1-1.

Sunderland - Manchester United
Sarah Michelle Gellar: This might be a surprise result. 2-2.
Mark Lawrenson: It won't be easy for the Red Devils but there is no room for complacency here. 1-3.

Manchester City - Newcastle
Sarah Michelle Gellar: Even match I think considering the impressive form of the Magpies. 2-2.
Mark Lawrenson: I will back the Citizens to inflict first loss to Newcastle this season. 2-1.

Aston Villa - Liverpool

Sarah Michelle Gellar: Aston Villa are in good form this season. 2-1.
Mark Lawrenson: I don't think Liverpool can afford to lose this game but will they be able to win it? I doubt this! 1-1.

Last week, Lawro got three results right, with one perfect score. His score of 5 was good enough to beat the predictions of Newcastle fan Cheryl Cole, who managed two correct results with no perfect scores.

Total scores after Week Fourteen
Lawro: 58
Guests: 46

Last edited:
Back