Blasphemy! Seven clubs lock horns for the title after sir Alex Ferguson's retirement!

• Thread starter Thread starter KevinHann
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 2K
  • Views Views 373K
View attachment 418263

Premier League predictions: Lawro v Sarah Michelle Gellar

BBC Sport's football expert Mark Lawrenson is pitting his wits against a different guest each week this season.

This week he takes on American actress and producer, as well as Arsenal fan Sarah Michelle Gellar. Gellar came to prominence in the late 1990s, landing roles in 1997's horror films I Know What You Did Last Summer and Scream 2. She portrayed Buffy Summers on the TV series Buffy the Vampire Slayer, for which she won six Teen Choice Awards, the Saturn Award for Best Genre TV Actress and received a Golden Globe Award nomination for Best Actress ? Television Series Drama. She also gained recognition for her performances as Kathryn Merteuil in Cruel Intentions.

View attachment 418262
Lawro vs Arsenal fan Sarah

A correct result is worth ONE point. A correct score earns THREE points.

Arsenal - Manchester City
Sarah Michelle Gellar: You just had to put me here for this game, didn't you? 2-1.
Mark Lawrenson: I think the Citizens will be on the up after taking the local derby, and Arsenal were really poor away in the North East. 1-3.

Brighton - Newcastle
Sarah Michelle Gellar: I can't bet against the champions here, can I? 0-3.
Mark Lawrenson: I'll go for a surprise here, I think the Magpies will be slightly prone to complacency and this is an away game coming right after a string of tough contender derbies. 1-1.

Chelsea - Cardiff
Sarah Michelle Gellar: Another game I can't bet against our rivals, 2-0.
Mark Lawrenson: I will side with the charming guest here, the Blues will be dominant at home. 3-1.

Manchester United - Tottenham
Sarah Michelle Gellar: This has draw all over it, 2-2.
Mark Lawrenson: Tough game to call, could go either way but while I fancy the draw I think the Red Devils weren't that bad away to City and will get a result here. 3-0.

Last week, Lawro got three results right, with no perfect scores. His score of 3 was good enough to beat the predictions of Newcastle fan Cheryl Cole, who managed one correct result with no perfect scores.

Total scores after Week Fourteen
Lawro: 62
Guests: 39

View attachment 418260
Premier League
Round 15

Saturday 6th December 2014:

Arsenal - Manchester City 2-2
Giroud (14), Mertesacker (89); Ronaldo (60), Silva (86)
View attachment 418243View attachment 418242View attachment 418241

Brighton - Newcastle 0-2
Debuchy (2), Donovan (pen 27)
View attachment 418245View attachment 418244

Chelsea - Cardiff 2-1
Ramos (58), Thiago Alcantara (81); Cornelius (21)
View attachment 418247View attachment 418246

Manchester United - Tottenham 2-0
Hernandez (3), Bale (26)
View attachment 418250View attachment 418249View attachment 418248

League Table:

View attachment 418251

Mark Hughes has been fired by Stoke City president Peter Coates. Hughes' departure is thought to have been triggered by the club's poor league position, forcing Stoke into a decision. The former Q.P.R. employee had been manager at Stoke since May 2013. Stoke have been disappointing in the Premier League so far this season and find themselves in 18th position. They have lost four of their last five games in the league.

View attachment 418225
O'Neill becomes second managerial victim this season

Queens Park Rangers manager Harry Redknapp is currently odds-on favourite to be offered the job, although nothing has yet been heard from the Queens Park Rangers camp. Stoke City officials are refusing to comment but speculation suggests that Gary Bowyer, Steve McClaren and Sam Allardyce could also be in the mix.

Odds for next Stoke City manager:
5-2 Harry Redknapp (Q.P.R.)
5-1 Gary Bowyer (Blackburn)
5-1 Steve McClaren (Derby County)

Odds for next manager to get the sack:
6-4 Oscar Garcia (Brighton)
6-4 Martin Jol (Fulham)
6-4 Jurgen Klopp (Manchester City)

Gary Lineker: Good evening and welcome to Match of the Day for our thoughts on the 2014/15 Premier League season! It seems the race will be as tight as ever this time around and as we all know it is those direct 6-pointer clashes that play a decisive part in deciding who will fly and who will fall. For this reason we will be focusing solely on those giant games in Match of the Day. Stay with us as Alan Hansen and Alan Shearer aid me on analyzing the key aspects of what happened and why it happened for you!

Arsenal - Manchester City
2-2

View attachment 418222

Gary Lineker: Manchester City arrived in London for the title contender clash with Arsenal as heavy favourites but it was the Gunners who surprisingly took the initiative from kick-off and pressed their opponents high up the pitch. This lead to a good early goal from Olivier Giroud which instilled confusion in the visitors camp. The Citizens couldn't recover before the half time whistle and Arsenal were probably even a bit disappointed they couldn't turn their advantage in those minutes to a more convincing lead. It seemed that would come back to haunt them as the second half was much different and City were much more dangerous despite still struggling to hold possession. Cristiano Ronaldo materialized this threat on the hour mark and all of a sudden the game was there for the taking for both sides. There were a number of opportunities either way but it was City who got in the driver's seat to take all points with a late goal from David Silva. Arsenal didn't give up though and defender Per Mertesacker redeemed his mistakes from the previous derby by towering in the opposition's box and heading in a much wanted and completely deserved equalizer. Neither team could go on and score a third and both contenders had to settle for a point.
Alan Hansen: It's very important not to lose these direct clashes and on that page both clubs will be relieved with avoiding defeat although I can see Arsenal should regret missing on a great chance to record a morale-boosting win here. They had great momentum for over thirty minutes in the first half but poor finishing prevented them from putting the game beyond Man City's reach. City nearly took the win in the second half thanks to their increased aggression which cost them no less than four yellow cards and I couldn't but admire their tactical discipline which allowed them to regain control of the play through measured fouls without losing their heads and getting a player sent off.
Alan Shearer: I have to commend PoM award winner Jack Wilshere for his presence in the middle for Arsenal, he also created a good goal for his team. Good words have to go Mertesacker's way after criticizing him last time around - the German came off the bench with 13 minutes to go and found his way to the scoresheet with a crucial, crucial late equalizer. Another sub stole the show for the away team - David Silva came on at half time and got a goal and assist in a masterclass performance. I'll also pick up Matija Nastasic, but for the wrong reasons - the Serbian made a bad mistake and gave away a goal when his team was in control and on track for a big win.
Gary Lineker: So nobody won the battle of tacticians between Wenger and Klopp. This was perhaps a better result for the German manager despite the late equalizer though as the Citizens were away from home and remain in touch with league leaders Newcastle. Arsenal have slided down to sixth, six points adrift from the top. But what do you know, I already read the first reports Jurgen Klopp is under pressure - tells you all about knee-jerk reactions from boards nowadays!

Gary Lineker: Good evening and welcome to Match of the Day for our thoughts on the 2014/15 Premier League season! It seems the race will be as tight as ever this time around and as we all know it is those direct 6-pointer clashes that play a decisive part in deciding who will fly and who will fall. For this reason we will be focusing solely on those giant games in Match of the Day. Stay with us as Alan Hansen and Alan Shearer aid me on analyzing the key aspects of what happened and why it happened for you!

Manchester United - Tottenham
2-0

View attachment 418213

Gary Lineker: Tottenham took the London - Manchester train knowing they would need a win to remain in contention for the title, or even the top four. Despite the much more healthy point total of the hosts the same applied for them though so it was pretty much a game that had to be won. Spurs manager Andre Villas-Boas expressed he would be employing a positive setup and chase a result but it was Man United who started brightly and lady luck shined upon them when Hernandez took a speculative effort just three minutes into the game and it somehow got in. It was a struggle for the visitors after that but it was to get worse. Former Spurs star Gareth Bale returned to haunt them with a great solo goal midway in the first half - which ultimately wrapped up the match for the Red Devils. Nothing much happened after - Man United didn't want to and Spurs weren't able to commit bodies forward. A routine win for the home side and major disappointment for the visitors, especially for the manner they surrendered with so much time left to play.
Alan Hansen: You wrapped up my analysis as well, Gary. I would add Spurs weren't helped by an injury to Townsend early in the second half but even then I would put the responsibility for this performance on Villas-Boas. Despite his pre-match comments he played a single striker up front and two of his three subs were defenders coming in while Adebayor - unpopular with the fans or not, never got on the pitch.
Alan Shearer: It was an all-round below par performance for the entire Spurs team, though some credit must go to Lloris for pulling half a dozen class saves to keep the score respectable. The entire defensive unit worked brilliantly for the Red Devils and PoM winner Gareth Bale was amazing up front.
Gary Lineker: I think we can now put Spurs out of the running for the title, at least for the time being. Sadly they will also find it incredibly difficult to get back in the mix for the top four as well, with competition so tough this season. Manchester United took the points here but it was only enough to maintain the four point gap to the top and avoid slipping down the table with surprise package Southampton knocking on the door.

Sting @OfficialSting what a tool @ Marseilles can you beiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiilieve 1m

#ChampionsLeague
Anderlecht - #nufc 0-5
Vertommen o.g. (23), Suarez (33), Sissoko (38), Ben Arfa (61), Remy (87)

Expand

Simon Pegg @simonpegg what a tool @ Marseilles can yo-----i------ue 1m

#ChampionsLeague
#CFC - Lyon 3-0
Thiago Alcantara (28), Willian (59, 65)

Expand

Usain St. Leo Bolt @usainbolt what a tool @ Marseilles can youiiiilievmmme 1m

#ChampionsLeague
Viktoria Plzen - #mufc 1-1
Rozhon (74); Rooney (pen 13)

Expand

Liam Gallagher @liamgallagher what a tool @ Marseilles can you--iiiiiiiiiiiiiii 1m

#ChampionsLeague
#mcfc - Paris Saint-Germain 4-1
Jovetic (13, 18, 23, 27); Fischer (39)
LGx

Expand

Phil Collins @PhilCollinsFeed what a tool @ Marseilles can -u-----------e 1m

#EuropaLeague
#THFC - Panathinaikos 3-0
Defoe (14, 27), Eriksen (52)

Expand

View attachment 418183

Premier League predictions: Lawro v Ricky Hatton

BBC Sport's football expert Mark Lawrenson is pitting his wits against a different guest each week this season.

This week he takes on former WBA (Super), IBF, IBO and The Ring Light Welterweight Champion, and WBA Welterweight Champion, as well as Manchester City fan Ricky Hatton.

View attachment 418182
Lawro vs Manchester City fan Ricky

A correct result is worth ONE point. A correct score earns THREE points.

Newcastle - Everton
Ricky Hatton: the champions are in good shape and throwing the punches right now, can see them win this easily. 3-0.
Mark Lawrenson: I think it will be closer than most people suppose but the Magpies should still come on top - 3-1.

Manchester City - Brighton
Ricky Hatton: We must win this and Brighton aren't in the same category, hopefully we put them on the ropes and the goals flow. 4-0.
Mark Lawrenson: The Citizens can be their own worst enemies if they allow any complacency to sneak in - even then I expect them to dominate this. 3-1.

Aston Villa - Chelsea
Ricky Hatton: Tough game for Chelsea, they might slip up here. 1-1.
Mark Lawrenson: I can see it being a pretty close game but the Blues will come on top - 2-3.

Tottenham - Arsenal
Ricky Hatton: Big derby, fierce rivals, can see them canceling each other out - 2-2.
Mark Lawrenson: Spurs need to arrest the slide at some point but I don't think it will be at this game. 1-2.

Manchester United game postponed

Last week, Lawro got two results right, with no perfect scores. His score of 2 was a perfect match for the predictions of Arsenal fan Sarah Michelle Gellar, who managed two correct results with no perfect scores.

Total scores after Week Fifteen
Lawro: 64
Guests: 41

Last edited:
View attachment 418178
Premier League
Round 16

Saturday 13th December 2014:

Newcastle - Everton 3-0
Santon (4), Donovan (10), Howard o.g. (71)
View attachment 418169View attachment 418168

Manchester City - Brighton 2-0
Jovetic (14), Ronaldo (66)
View attachment 418167View attachment 418166

Aston Villa - Chelsea 0-1
Hazard (60)
View attachment 418165View attachment 418164

Sunday 14th December 2014:

Tottenham - Arsenal 1-2
Ayew (31), Lichtsteiner sent off (70); Garay (45), Giroud (45+3)
View attachment 418163View attachment 418162View attachment 418161

Manchester United game postponed

League Table:

View attachment 418160

Tottenham - Arsenal
1-2

View attachment 418157

Gary Lineker: This North London derby saw the roles reverted to usual as Spurs enjoyed a rare better season than Arsenal last time - but now are back to their usual under performing. As a matter of fact Tottenham needed a win just to keep top four ambitions alive while Arsenal were still in the mix for the title. None of it mattered on the pitch as the hosts were the better side in the opening half and when Andre Ayew gave them the lead it was nothing less than they deserved. Arsene Wenger was probably already wondering how to change that at half time when Spurs reverted to their usual sloppy selves and gifted their arch rivals not just an equalizer, but a second goal - all nicely packed and delivered with a ribbon to Garay and Giroud. Spurs were never the same side after the break and any hopes of a comeback were crushed when Lichtsteiner got himself sent off for two bookable offenses within just 14 minutes in the second half.
Alan Hansen: It is a pity the hosts surrendered such a hard fought lead in this manner but it shows how lack of confidence in those big games can literally bury you. I genuinely think Spurs would have won this game if they hadn't lost so many title contender derbies already this season. It wasn't down to individual mistakes but shortage of belief as an unit. Other than that Tottenham dominated the game and maintained the upper hand in all important stats even after playing 20 minutes in reduced numbers. The Gunners will be relieved and I think they know exactly how lucky they were at White Hart Lane this time.
Alan Shearer: The Tottenham midfield was top notch this game - Ayew, Eriksen, Paulinho and Sandro won the battle with their Arsenal counterparts over large patches of time. Lichtsteiner will want to forget this match as quickly as possible - not just because of the sending off, he was at fault with the goals. It says it all when you look at who performed for Arsenal - Garay, Vermaelen and Filipe excelled but only because they had a lot of work to do. Of course the PoM award went to Isco, who was essential for the Gunners by masterminding the comeback with two genius assists.
Gary Lineker: Weird to say this but Andre Villas-Boas won the duel with Wenger, even though his team was left empty-handed in the end. A win is a win though and it allows the Gunners to remain six points from the top. Tottenham are in free fall in 8th, fifteen points behind the leaders and lagging nine behind 4th.

Lee Clark has been hired as the new manager of Stoke City, confirming speculation that he would leave Norwich. Forty-two year old Clark is said to be relishing his new role at Britannia Stadium and has already turned his attentions to the match against Hull on Saturday.

View attachment 418144
Clark returns to the Premier League

Clark was reserves manager at Newcastle before he even retired from his playing career in 2006. He became assistant manager at Norwich in November 2007 and held that role for a year before taking up his first job as a manager at Huddersfield. That was followed by a brief spell at the helm of Birmingham City before returning to the Canaries where he was until Stoke lured him back to the Premier League. Norwich will be paid 2.0 million pounds in compensation.

English Title Contenders Cup Watch

View attachment 418140

Quarter Final

Tuesday 16th December 2014:

Newcastle - Hull 4-1 (aet)
Remy (2), Suarez (94), Cisse (108), Donovan (pen 115); Livermore (45+2)
View attachment 418135View attachment 418134

Liverpool - Arsenal 2-0
Oxlade-Chamberlain (3), Ibe (16); Gibbs sent off (27)
View attachment 418131View attachment 418130

Wednesday 17th December 2014:

Manchester City - Fulham 4-1

Pedro (19, 29, 38), Jovetic (84); Kasami (90+1)
View attachment 418128View attachment 418127

Norwich - Sunderland 0-2
N'Diaye (15), Smith (25)

English Title Contenders European Watch

View attachment 418120

First Knockout Round Draw

Manchester United - Valencia

Juventus - Chelsea

Paris Saint-Germain - Newcastle

Basel - Manchester City

Galatasaray - Olympiakos

AS Monaco - Dortmund