Blasphemy! Seven clubs lock horns for the title after sir Alex Ferguson's retirement!

• Thread starter Thread starter KevinHann
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 2K
  • Views Views 373K

Gary Lineker: Good evening and welcome to Match of the Day for our thoughts on the 2014/15 Premier League season! It seems the race will be as tight as ever this time around and as we all know it is those direct 6-pointer clashes that play a decisive part in deciding who will fly and who will fall. For this reason we will be focusing solely on those giant games in Match of the Day. Stay with us as Alan Hansen and Alan Shearer aid me on analyzing the key aspects of what happened and why it happened for you!

Manchester United - Newcastle
0-2

View attachment 418372

Gary Lineker: Both teams entered this Saturday early kick-off game fully aware a victory would put the winner on top of the league table before the other games of the round were played. It was always going to be a clash of styles but Old Trafford faithful were disappointed with the cautious approach David Moyes adopted for a home game against a team that was so convincingly beaten in the Community Shield curtain raiser just a few months ago. On the contrary, the Magpies were determined to leave the humiliating defeat behind their backs and played open, free-flowing football which saw them produce numerous chances. As the Red Devils appeared unable to cope it was only a matter of time before the goals came and the home crowd went silent midway in the first half when the visitors dealt a crushing quick double strike with Davide Santon and Loic Remy goals. Newcastle continued to dominate in the second half and it even though Man United had a late Nani goal disallowed they probably got away with the least damage possible. Final score - 0:2.
Alan Hansen: I think Newcastle countered David Moyes' possession based patient football very well by negating their midfield which was proven by all three home substitutions. Man United had a lion's share of accurate passes and dominated the air but Newcastle had the upper hand in the tackling department and that extreme aggression won them the game.
Alan Shearer: I would say the hosts still created a lot of decent chances and Robin van Persie was way below his usual level to squander most of them. Other than that I can't say any other of the home players underperformed, they were simply tactically outclassed. I'll mention Davide Santon from the visitors as he excelled on top of scoring the opening goal, but the ones who truly stole the show were the central defenders - Varane and Yanga-Mbiwa were tremendous and the latter picked up the PoM award.
Gary Lineker: I'll admit I expected Manchester United to win this and pile further misery on the champions but watching the game it was never going to happen! This is yet another twist in the title race as both teams remain close to the top.

Gary Lineker: Good evening and welcome to Match of the Day for our thoughts on the 2014/15 Premier League season! It seems the race will be as tight as ever this time around and as we all know it is those direct 6-pointer clashes that play a decisive part in deciding who will fly and who will fall. For this reason we will be focusing solely on those giant games in Match of the Day. Stay with us as Alan Hansen and Alan Shearer aid me on analyzing the key aspects of what happened and why it happened for you!

Chelsea - Tottenham
1-0

View attachment 418361

Gary Lineker: As Stamford Bridge geared up for the Saturday late kick-off game the home side were already aware they would need nothing less but a win to retain their lead at the top of the table. The visitors were pessimistic and their cause wasn't helped by the large number of injuries but it was probably the last good chance they had of cutting the gap at least a little bit. As the game progressed it became clear the best Spurs could hope for would be a draw as they rarely threatened and seemed happy to just try and contain their hosts. They seemed to be doing exactly that though, despite another nasty kick in the teeth late in the first half when winger Antoine Griezmann was unable to continue the game. Chelsea were becoming increasingly nervous as the final whistle loomed but then summer recruit Edin Dzeko finally broke the deadlock to seal a vital win for the Blues and break the visitors hearts.
Alan Hansen: I think it was a clash of pragmatic approaches with Villas-Boas happy to settle for a point and Mourinho chasing all three. The methodical play locked the game in a midfield struggle with neither side enjoying a prolonged spell of possession. The Blues were much more direct though and probably deserved the win as I really don't think you can go to Stamford Bridge and hope to sneak something without doing as much as registering a single shot on target.
Alan Shearer: There were two Spurs players who caught my eye in the game - Vertonghen and Lichtsteiner for their no-nonsense approach which was decisive in containing Chelsea for so long. As for the hosts, PoM award winner Eden Hazard was a class above all on the pitch with his constant running, earning free kicks and eventually creating the goal for substitute Edin Dzeko.
Gary Lineker: This result allows Chelsea to retain their position at the helm of the table but it effectively ends any hopes Tottenham might have had to challenge for the title with the gap for Spurs now up to eight points. I can't help but point out the top five is now congested within just three points - a brilliant setup for the season!

Usain St. Leo Bolt @usainbolt what a tool @ Marseilles can youiiiilievmmme 1m

#ChampionsLeague
#mufc - Zenit 3-1
Hamsik (57), Hernandez (pen 75, 90+3); Kerzhakov (59), Anyukov sent off (83)
#mufc qualify for Knockout round

Expand

Liam Gallagher @liamgallagher what a tool @ Marseilles can you--iiiiiiiiiiiiiii 1m

#ChampionsLeague
FC Bayern - #mcfc 1-2
Kroos (9); Silva (79), Jovetic (85)
#mcfc qualify for Knockout round
LGx

Expand

Simon Pegg @simonpegg what a tool @ Marseilles can yo-----i------ue 1m

#ChampionsLeague
Celtic - #CFC 0-1
Lukaku (86)
#CFC qualify for Knockout round

Expand

Sting @OfficialSting what a tool @ Marseilles can you beiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiilieve 1m

#ChampionsLeague
#nufc - Real Madrid 1-0
Cisse (32)

Expand

Phil Collins @PhilCollinsFeed what a tool @ Marseilles can -u-----------e 1m

#EuropaLeague
Sporting Lisbon - #THFC 0-2
Ayew sent off (10), Soldado (25), Sigurdsson (47), Lichtsteiner sent off (53)

Expand

View attachment 418331

Premier League predictions: Lawro v Bill Clinton

BBC Sport's football expert Mark Lawrenson is pitting his wits against a different guest each week this season.

This week he takes on the 42nd President of the United States from 1993 to 2001 Bill Clinton, who arguably named his own daughter on his favourite Premier League club.

View attachment 418330
Lawro vs Chelsea fan Bill

A correct result is worth ONE point. A correct score earns THREE points.

Manchester City - Chelsea
Bill Clinton: I won't let emotions stay in the way as a political solution is required here. 2-2.
Mark Lawrenson: I also think this one is likely to end even but I don't see that many goals in it. 1-1.

Stoke - Arsenal
Bill Clinton: Advisors tell me this is a pretty even affair - 1-1.
Mark Lawrenson: The Gunners will look to remain close to the top and I can see them just scraping the win here. 1-2.

Newcastle
- Sunderland
Bill Clinton: This is some sort of a derby, huh, isn't it? It must be even, too. 1-1.
Mark Lawrenson: I wouldn't go against the Magpies at home on this one, sorry. 3-1.

Tottenham - West Ham
Bill Clinton: This is some sort of a derby, isn't it? 2-2.
Mark Lawrenson: I think it's about time Spurs return to winning ways and will back them to outscore their opponents here. 4-2.

Fulham - Manchester United

Bill Clinton: Man United, eh? They must be good for it. 1-3.
Mark Lawrenson: I'll also back the Red Devils for a convincing result in London, 0-3.

Last week, Lawro got one result right, with one perfect scores. His score of 3 was a perfect match for the predictions of Liverpool fan Samuel Jackson, who managed three correct results with no perfect scores.

Total scores after Week Twelve
Lawro: 56
Guests: 37

View attachment 418321
Premier League
Round 13

Saturday 29th November 2014:

Manchester City - Chelsea 1-0
Ronaldo (pen 13)
View attachment 418320View attachment 418319View attachment 418318

Stoke - Arsenal 0-2
Huth sent off (27); Ozil (5), Butland o.g. (28)
View attachment 418317View attachment 418316

Newcastle - Sunderland 4-0
Zouma (11), Donovan (20, 82), Remy (89)
View attachment 418314View attachment 418313

Sunday 30th November 2014:

Tottenham - West Ham 2-1
Ayew (pen 31), Reid o.g. (43); Uche (37)
View attachment 418312View attachment 418311

Fulham - Manchester United 0-1
Vidic (84)
View attachment 418310View attachment 418309

League Table:

View attachment 418315

Manchester City - Chelsea
1-0

View attachment 418297

Gary Lineker: In a clash of cash-spending giants Manchester City entertained league leaders Chelsea hoping to pip them to the first place. It was always going to be a close game with both squads brimming with world class talent, especially as the Blues had the best defensive record in the league. Jose Mourinho knew a single goal might be enough to seal the win and perhaps that was why he went mad on the touchline when the referees awarded an early penalty kick for the home side - which Cristiano Ronaldo calmly slotted home. The visitors upped their game but neither team had the advantage and when David Luiz saw a straight red card with twenty minutes to go the match was as good as over. Final score 1-0.
Alan Hansen: Early goals change games and that's exactly what happened at the Etihad. Chelsea were forced to add more bite to an already direct style and it is a double edged sword as you commit excessive fouls and pick up more cards. I'm not saying that was wrong from Mourinho but Klopp had him backed to the wall and left him little choice. It backfired with the David Luiz red card and the game was lost for Chelsea - it's as simple as that.
Alan Shearer: I will not criticize any players of the visiting team despite the loss as they were forced to deal with a very difficult hand after the early call from the ref but I can't at least mention the fact Mata, Willian and especially Falcao had some chances to score but missed them. Courtois was impressive in goal though and kept his team in contention throughout the game. As for the Citizens their entire defensive unit worked hard, made no mistakes and was expertly organized by PoM award taker Joe Hart.
Gary Lineker: Jurgen Klopp's Manchester City took the points in a strategic game to pull Chelsea down from the helm of the league table and we now have the top five piled up within - please note this - a single point! I wouldn't even write out teams as low as seventh at the moment as Tottenham are there and the gap to the top is just six points for them.

English Title Contenders Cup Watch

View attachment 418296

Third Round Draw

Preston/Portsmouth - Chelsea
Manchester United
- Nottingham Forest
Reading - Arsenal
Aston Villa - Tottenham
Macclesfield - Newcastle
Liverpool - Manchester City

View attachment 418295

November Watch

View attachment 418290
Premier League Table

The Contenders:

Newcastle (1st; 31pts; +22) - the Magpies suffered a heavy loss to Chelsea but won all other games - including away at Man United - and retained first place this month.
Player of the month: Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa (DC) 7.72
0 Current first team injuries.

Chelsea (2nd; 30pts; +17) - the Blues defeated champions and league leaders Newcastle but stumbled to a loss away to Manchester City and remain second in the league table.
Player of the month: Eden Hazard (AMRLC) 7.50
1 Current first team injury:
Ramires (DM/MRC/AMC) - 10-14 days (twisted ankle)

Arsenal (3rd; 30pts; +16) - the Gunners enjoyed an unbeaten month and only dropped points in a goalless draw with Swansea - but they also know they would have been first in the table had they won that!
Player of the month: Filipe (D/WBL) 7.76
6 Current first team injuries:
Ezequiel Garay (DC) - 2-5 days (pulled hamstring)
Micah Richards (DRC) - 7-14 days (torn knee ligaments)
Mikel Arteta (DM/MC) - 12-21 days (hernia)
Isco (AMLC) - 5 days (strained knee ligaments)
Adel Taarabt (MR/AMLC) - 2 days (knock)
Lukas Podolski (AML/ST) - 5-8 weeks (knee tendonitis)

Manchester United
(4th; 30pts; +13) - the Red Devils missed on a chance to go top of the table by allowing a home loss to leaders Newcastle which pushes them down one place in the table for this month's review.
Player of the month: Gareth Bale (AMRLC) 7.34
2 Current first team injuries:
Fabio Coentrao (D/WB/ML) - 2-3 weeks (strained knee ligaments)
Shinji Kagawa (AMRLC) - 2-9 days (strained knee ligaments)

Manchester City (5th; 30pts; +12) - the Citizens remain fifth this month but were unbeaten, defeated Chelsea and just like Arsenal only drew one game which could have taken them top of the table.
Player of the month: David Alaba (D/WBL/MLC) 7.28
5 Current first team injuries:
David Alaba (D/WBL/MLC) - 3-4 days (bruised rib)
Samir Nasri (AMRLC) - 2-3 months (broken ankle)
Pedro (AMRL) - 3-5 days (damaged heel)
Sergio Aguero (AMC/ST) - 3-4 weeks (sprained ankle)
Alvaro Negredo (ST) - 3-4 weeks (broken arm)

Tottenham (7th; 25pts; +6) - Spurs lost to Chelsea but won all other games which is barely enough to keep them in contention and not allow any other team to run away at the top.
Player of the month: Jan Vertonghen (DLC/DM) 7.88
5 Current first team injuries:
Gomes (GK) - 2-3 weeks (sprained ankle)
Younes Kaboul (DC) - 5 days (damaged achilles tendon)
Mousa Dembele (M/AMC) - 8-14 days (torn hamstring)
Kevin Mirallas (AMRL) - 2-3 months (broken foot)
Diego Costa (AMRC/ST) - 4-7 weeks (torn calf muscle)

Other teams to watch:

Southampton (6th) - the Saints improved this month and climbed back to sixth despite the heavy competition - they are just five points off the top right now!

Aston Villa (8th) - the Villains slided down two positions and are struggling to keep up in contention for Europe but with nobody breathing in their backs they are the only other team still able to pose a threat.

Fulham, Brighton and Cardiff occupy the bottom three but things are very tight down there and a couple good results can shuffle a lot of teams - with teams as high as 9th just six points above.

November Player of the Month:
Yaya Toure (Manchester City)
View attachment 418294

November Young Player of the Month:
James Ward-Prowse (Southampton)
View attachment 418293

November Manager of the Month:
Jurgen Klopp (Manchester City)
View attachment 418292

Leading Goalscorers:
View attachment 418291

View attachment 418289

Premier League predictions: Lawro v Cheryl Cole

BBC Sport's football expert Mark Lawrenson is pitting his wits against a different guest each week this season.

This week he takes on English recording artist, songwriter, dancer and Newcastle fan Cheryl Ann Cole, known as a member of the girl group Girls Aloud, as well as her solo singer career. Her group achieved 20 top-ten singles (including four number one singles) in the UK and six platinum albums (two of which went to number one) and earned five BRIT Award nominations from 2005 to 2010.

View attachment 418288
Lawro vs Newcastle fan Cheryl

A correct result is worth ONE point. A correct score earns THREE points.

Newcastle - Arsenal
Cheryl Cole: This will be a very hard game for us. 2-2.
Mark Lawrenson: I also think it can go either way, I'll side with home advantage - 3-2.

Nottingham Forest - Chelsea
Cheryl Cole: Don't expect Forest to do us any favour here, Chelsea are too strong. 0-3.
Mark Lawrenson: It will be a crucial game for the Blues after the loss at City and they have always been great when in need to bounce back with a result. 1-3.

Tottenham - Sunderland
Cheryl Cole: It will be fun watching Sunderland get pounded here. 4-0.
Mark Lawrenson: I expect a closer game though, Spurs are close to the top and when pressure mounts they usually crack. 2-2.

Manchester City - Manchester United
Cheryl Cole: Anyone's guess here, I'll pick Man United. 1-2.
Mark Lawrenson: I'll side with the Citizens here, I think they might just sneak this game. 3-2.

Last week, Lawro got three results right, with no perfect scores. His score of 3 was good enough to beat the predictions of Chelsea fan Bill Clinton, who managed one correct result with no perfect scores.

Total scores after Week Thirteen
Lawro: 59
Guests: 38

View attachment 418286
Premier League
Round 14

Tuesday 2nd December 2014:

Newcastle - Arsenal 3-0
Suarez (26), Ben Arfa (58, 64)
View attachment 418285View attachment 418284View attachment 418283

Nottingham Forest - Chelsea 0-4
Hazard (13, 42, 45+4), Thiago Alcantara (27)
View attachment 418282View attachment 418281

Wednesday 3rd December 2014:

Tottenham - Sunderland 0-1
Mavrias (73)
View attachment 418280View attachment 418279

Manchester City - Manchester United 2-1
De Gea o.g. (66), Kompany (73); Rafael sent off (60), Bale (75)
View attachment 418278View attachment 418277View attachment 418276

League Table:

View attachment 418275

Newcastle - Arsenal
3-0

View attachment 418272

Gary Lineker: League leaders Newcastle welcomed improved title contenders Arsenal at Saint James' Park in a game which had to be won in order to retain the lead in the table. Managers Dimiter Hristov and Arsene Wenger exchanged some comments praising the opposition's style of play prior to the game itself but it was the Magpies who dominated the early minutes. This eventually materialized with a good Luis Suarez goal which was the difference at the interval. Arsenal were expected to come back fighting after the break but instead the Magpies ran rampant and Hatem Ben Arfa bagged a quick brace to seal a classic win for the hosts.
Alan Hansen: I think the Magpies were just too good for Arsenal today. The visitors were nervous and their passing was below the usual sharpness which made it easy for Newcastle to capitalize on any balls they stole from Arsenal's erratic midfield. As a matter of fact both Ben Arfa goals were wonderfully executed counter attacks. I don't think there is much to analyze - Arsenal might be a title contender but that just wasn't the case at Saint James' Park and to be fair 3-0 was the least they could have conceded.
Alan Shearer: I'll pick three Arsenal players who the fans will rightly demand explanation from - Sagna and Mertesacker were poor and at fault for those goals, but Szczesny was totally out of the game and it clearly affected his backline. Newcastle were strong in defense as usual, Varane and Yanga-Mbiwa bossing anything thrown their way. Suarez has been criticized for his poor goalscoring form recently but I thought he was on fire in this game, scoring the opener and assisting for another one. Of course, the standalone player was Hatem Ben Arfa, who deservedly bagged the PoM award.
Gary Lineker: We can say Dimiter Hristov won the battle of styles over Arsene Wenger on this occasion and his Newcastle team has done well to come through a derby-rich schedule list unscathed and still at the top of the league table.

Manchester City - Manchester United
2-1

View attachment 418267

Gary Lineker: The Manchester giants met for the first time this season at the Etihad sitting shoulder to shoulder on equal points in the league table. Fans and pundits expected a tight affair with a draw the most likely outcome but it was the Citizens who were determined to put home advantage to use and attacked tirelessly throughout the game. The audience at the ground and in front of TV at home had to wait until the last half hour to see all the action but it was all worth it. Rafael got his marching orders for a mindless tackle on the hour mark and it galvanized the game. De Gea was unlucky to see a deflected ball strike him in the back and bounce behind the goalline to gift the first goal for the home side. Kompany extended the lead further with a towering header seven minutes later but the Red Devils weren't going to roll over and Gareth Bale pulled them back in contention just two minutes later. The visitors tried to pile up a late charge for an equalizer but reduced numbers deprived them of the required energy and Manchester City held off to take three valuable points.
Alan Hansen: Man City completely dominated the game from start to finish, they simply murdered the visitors in every compartment - passes, tackles, headers, shots on and off target. They had twice as many clear-cut chances. And still it took a red card to break down a resilient Man United team... I think David Moyes was right to be fuming at the end and even though he has blamed the card on the referee I don't want to be in Rafael's shoes when they meet tete-a-tete in the dressing room. I will also note the visitors lost Nani to an injury prior to the booking and having used two subs at that point Moyes' options were very limited for the closing stages of the game.
Alan Shearer: We already agreed Rafael was the most influential player this game as his sending off literally wrapped it up for the hosts but the PoM rightly went to Vincent Kompany. I was also very impressed with the midfield pairing of Yaya Toure and Lucas Leiva who controlled the game for the Citizens. As for Man United Bale was the only bright light up front with his constant runs and everything dangerous went through him. Captain Nemanja Vidic also saved face with a solid game.
Gary Lineker: This valuable win allows Man City to stay close with the chasing pack but really harmed Man United who now find themselves four points adrift from the top.

Tyneside in shock - Mike Ashley releases extra funds!

View attachment 418265
Rob Lee
Published at 11:06PM, December 3 2014

I must admit I never expected to live to see the day... and had to check with the calendar if it's April 1st or something when I first saw the official statement. But it wouldn't go away so it must be true. Here is how it reads, directly from the club official site: "President Mike Ashley is pleased to announce that as a result of an improvement in the club's financial position, the board has raised the current transfer budget by 12.5 million pounds to the figure of 18.75 million pounds."

View attachment 418264
Official club statement - it's real!

This coming without any pressure from the manager or the Director of football at Saint James' Park! Incredibly, but the treble-winning success from the previous campaign has obviously boosted the financial revenue despite the vast outlay on new recruits in the transfer market. Sources at the club informed me a number of new sponsorship deals have been signed and that's probably the core reason behind opening the purse in such a generous manner. The fans shouldn't jump the January trophy signing wagon of joy just yet though as manager Hristov was quick to play down such suggestions and claimed he wouldn't be looking to add to the squad in the next month.

Back