Blasphemy! Seven clubs lock horns for the title after sir Alex Ferguson's retirement!

I'm only covering the players I listed in the squads when I started the story, mate - a good storyteller can't just ignore any elements he already put in, they have to go somewhere. There are some more transfers I will have to cover though there are only one or two loan deals in that list.

What is it that gets the story that interesting at this point? :)
It's interesting because you're posting regularly, and posting in an objective way (by pretending to be pundits) - which is really rare for FM stories. The eccentricity of your management style also makes it interesting, with each signing being supposedly controversial! Keep it up, buddy!

It's interesting because you're posting regularly, and posting in an objective way (by pretending to be pundits) - which is really rare for FM stories. The eccentricity of your management style also makes it interesting, with each signing being supposedly controversial! Keep it up, buddy!

And yet I'm still struggling to make it more interactive.

View attachment 416713
Fullback out instead of in for Red Devils
View attachment 455800
Last Updated: 24th July 2013

BUTTNER leaves - Moyes still pondering who to buy.

Despite failing to buy Leighton Baines and boasting a squad screamingly short for a fullback or even two, Manchester United rushed to sell Alexander Buttner (24) to Wigan in a 2.1m pounds deal. The former Dutch U21 is not in David Moeys first team plans.

View attachment 455799
Buttner leaves Old Trafford

As a matter of fact Buttner wasn't a part of sir Alex Ferguson's plans either - he played just five games - but also scored in two of them, meaning he was of some use. Selling your backup players at a time you need them and taking a loss in the same time is something that won't help the David Moyes cause and the Scot must be extremely careful what his next moves are. He was upbeat at the sale nevertheless:

Reporter: There won't be many thinking Buttner was Manchester United class, Mr. Moyes, but the fact remains you sold another player before signing a replacement?
David Moyes: The timing of the deal cannot bother me. It doesn't matter which comes first - the arriving player or the departing one. We are a big club and we are confident our transfers will be done in time.
Reporter: There have been suggestions Newcastle move for Leighton Baines caught you napping and now your prime fullback target is gone?
David Moyes: Leighton is a fine player and I wish him all the best but the press give him much more significance to our plans than there actually was. We did consider him, we had an opportunity to move for him once a transfer bid was made - we decided against it, end of story.
Reporter: Doesn't the pressure to buy someone, anyone build up though? Newcastle signed another player tonight and your fans are asking whether they are in a whooping time machine back to the 90's...
David Moyes: When we buy we will buy the right players for Manchester United, not just "someone, anyone". As for what's going on in the North East I don't know if they found some time machine but from what I remember it didn't turn out well for them in the 90's.

Alexander Buttner transfer verdict: 3.5/10 - getting rid of your backup players for a small fee is a recipe for disaster in my books.

Newcastle go double-digit for defender again

View attachment 455797
Rob Lee
Published at 9:41PM, July 24 2013

One thing fans up here were used to back in the glory days was spending in the double-digit bracket. Even back then it was rare to see such amount of cash splashed on defensive reinforcements though. Manager Hristov doesn't bother with such limitations as Newcastle announced yet another back four recruitment tonight - Kurt Zouma (18) puts pen to paper in a blockbuster deal which sees AS Saint-Etienne receive 17.0 million pounds. The Magpies will pay 7.0 million pounds straight cash to move the deal forward and the rest will be due over the next four years. The teenager is hardly the established player such a fee suggests as he only has one France U21 cap to his name and only broke through the ASSE youth ranks two seasons ago to record 40 appearances and 4 goals.

View attachment 455796
Zouma time as Kurt arrives at Tyneside

This is another bizarre piece of business from Hristov. It is hard to perceive why defense needs such a massive outlay on a teenage player when we already acquired the services of wonderkid Balanta. A more sensible investment in an experienced center back would have left some spare funds for an offensive upgrade. I'm not suggesting Kurt is a bad player but what you need in the heart of defense is experience and after spending so much in that area it still feels we are short of it.

View attachment 455795View attachment 455794View attachment 455793
Zouma compared to Balanta/Taylor/Yanga-Mbiwa

A quick look at our current options there suggests they don't really differ from each other so we lack tactical variety. I don't know whether Hristov goes for reputation over qualities or merely doesn't care about having different options but either way the team may be vulnerable should any opposition expose the inevitable weaknesses and there will be no plan B to counter that. Hristov was unfazed as he announced he is perfectly happy with the center backs at his disposal now and there will be no more arrivals in that position:

Reporter: Yet another gigantic fee on a young defender - most managers would say this is where you want your experienced players but you seem to differ?
Dimiter Hristov: Experience is a big asset but I feel talent beats that and our center backs are brimming with it right now. We have local lad Steven Taylor to lead the ranks in this area so I am comfortable with it. Our business here is done and we can now fully focus on other positions.
Reporter: The fans are perplexed at overspending for defensive figures and with your kitty significantly depleted there are concerns you will find it hard to replace players like Jonas Gutierrez and Gabriel Obertan while there are still expectations for a natural goalscorer. Not to mention you don't have experienced... or let's say at least established back-up goalkeeper.
Dimiter Hristov: Oh, back to the flair debate. We have plenty of that in the team already but rest assured that is the next area I will be working on and you can expect development over the next couple of days.
Reporter: So you promise the fans a flair player?
Dimiter Hristov: Of course, you don't seriously expect me to let them down on this one exactly, right?
Reporter: Fans would like you to go for Nicolas Gaitan, reportedly a Manchester United transfer target, to further put pressure on David Moyes.
Dimiter Hristov: We will have to wait and see what happens.
Reporter: There are reports you failed with a move for Estudiantes goalkeeper Jeronimo Rulli as his work permit appeal was turned down. Will you push on for a back-up keeper or that's not high on your list of priorities?
Dimiter Hristov: Rulli was our first choice replacement for Rob Elliot, yes. We will keep monitoring him and if there is anything new on that front you will be the first to know.

View attachment 455787View attachment 455789
Jeronimo fail - is he better than Elliot anyway?

I agree Gaitan would be a good signing and he'd come relatively cheap considering he is still on the Benfica transfer list. But can Hristov afford him AND a backup goalkeeper? Seems the habit of paying over the top got him cornered and it's not even August yet. It's time to see if the eccentric manager can wheel and deal or he will end up short of options in numerous key areas!

Kurt Zouma transfer verdict: 6.5/10 - good prospect but way too expensive and young considering we already brought in Balanta. Money could have been better spent.

We also keep tracking the transfer budget Hristov promised would be reinvested straight in the squad. The transfer fee for Kurt Zouma (7.0m pounds) has been deducted from the pot:

Newcastle transfer budget: 4.95m pounds (9.36m initial)

Last edited:

Piers Morgan @piersmorgan what a tool @ Marseilles can youiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiie 1m

More deadwood out tonight but Wenger needs to focus on big striker - Ozil
not enough #Arsenal

Expand

How much money did you get at Newcastle ? :O

The transfer kitty has a tracker attached as the media keep haunting me if I am going to spend and how I spend - you can check what my budget stands at throughout the window after every transfer in and out, mate - it is all in there, just take a look. I'm not going to spoil it for you but there are some big budget related surprises coming soon - I don't know how that major U-turn will appeal to the audience but I decided to go for it in the name of the story rather than replaying the entire transfer window.

The transfer kitty has a tracker attached as the media keep haunting me if I am going to spend and how I spend - you can check what my budget stands at throughout the window after every transfer in and out, mate - it is all in there, just take a look. I'm not going to spoil it for you but there are some big budget related surprises coming soon - I don't know how that major U-turn will appeal to the audience but I decided to go for it in the name of the story rather than replaying the entire transfer window.

Do what makes you interested, the story writing is a bit of fun

Best read so far by a million miles :) keep it up I'm glued :)

View attachment 455721

Nottingham Forest take Frimpong
Wenger opens room for another big capture?

View attachment 455720
Frimpong sets free from Arsenal

View attachment 455722
By Alan Smith
10:12PM GMT 25 Jul 2013

Arsenal have announced the transfer of defensive midfielder Emmanuel Frimpong (21) to Nottingham Forest for 725k pounds. The youngster became surplus to requirements after the arrival of Mathieu Flamini this summer and Wenger decided to give him a chance to develop somewhere else. Frimpong managed just 6 appearances for the Gunners back in 2011/12 but despite early promise he failed to convince the manager for a first team place after loan spells with Wolves, Charlton and Fulham.

View attachment 455709
Midfield grit not enough to keep Frimpong

Wenger is yet to add further to the squad after breaking the club transfer record on Mesut Ozil but the growing expectation is he will need to move on the market for a big name striker. Arsene refused to have his hand forced on spending massively again despite the financial emergence of the club this summer:

Reporter: The fans have shrugged off this transfer but I must ask why did you decide it is time for Emmanuel to move on permanently rather than let him go on another loan?
Arsene Wenger: Despite his best efforts Frimpong didn't show us enough consistency in his improvement over the past two seasons to warrant a place in the first team. At this age he was expected to be closer and we had to let him go while he is still young so that he can establish himself at another club. I wish him all the best!
Reporter: There is growing expectation for you to follow-up the Ozil signing and secure a quality striker to challenge Giroud up front. Rumors are you are tracking Karim Benzema...
Arsene Wenger: The fact we have more money to spend doesn't mean we will rush and splash it on sight like some other clubs have done this summer. We will only move when the time is right and the player is right for this football club.
Reporter: You are probably hinting at Manchester City, Tottenham and Newcastle, who all went on a spending spree this window. How do you expect them to perform this season? Is your position in the top four, something we have become accustomed to, under threat?
Arsene Wenger: We cannot afford to rest on our laurels so increased competition is always good to get the best out of our players. But I don't want to look back, what I want now is to focus on those ahead of us. The time has come to try and probably win some trophies this season.

Trophies are what all of us want but I am sure Wenger is more concerned with Tottenham than he is ready to openly admit. The manager is experienced enough to know we cannot win the title with Giroud and Bendtner up front.

Emmanuel Frimpong transfer verdict: 4.5/10 - not the deal Arsenal fans are expecting and the club could have brokered a slightly larger fee.

Liam Gallagher @liamgallagher what a tool @ Marseilles can you--iiiiiiiiiiiiiii 1m

Big winger signing from a big club at a bargain price while some spend big on
bargain player and some spend zilch at all #mcfc LGx

Expand

Lee Dixon: Citizens snap Barcelona winger
View attachment 455683
LEE DIXON Friday 26 July 2013
Manuel Pellegrini keeps overhauling the Manchester City squad with the signing of versatile winger Cristian Tello (22) from Barcelona for a reported fee of 8.5 million pounds. Tello is a 12 times Spain U21 international and can also play as a striker. He managed 37 appearances for the Spanish giants over the past two seasons and scored 10 goals.

View attachment 455682
Tello and Messi celebrate another goal

This transfer answers Pellegrini's call for winger reinforcements and the Manchester City squad should now be close to where the new manager wants it. Manuel admits any further activity on the market is now unlikely:

Reporter: You finally got your man, at a reasonable fee as well. Is there any other area you'd like to strengthen?
Manuel Pellegrini: The transfer market is always a work in progress but I am happy with the situation we have gotten ourselves to. We don't need to buy anymore so we can afford the luxury of sitting on the sidelines and move in if the right opportunity arises.
Reporter: This is certainly a healthy position to be in given your finances are in check...
Manuel Pellegrini: The spending at this club has been subject of heated debate over the past years but it is well under control and we are prepared to meet the new set of rules coming in football.
Reporter: You must be aware of the shocking news from the North East tonight...
Manuel Pellegrini: Yes, although I am not sure Newcastle are in breach of the rules right now. We are monitoring the situation there as it concerns all English clubs. This is exactly the reason the FFP was approved - the smaller clubs need to spend big to catch up and if there isn't a governing body to control that process they may go into financial meltdown.
Reporter: Do you fear that may provoke a chain reaction and further examination of the big spending clubs? This might be a concern for you an Chelsea.
Manuel Pellegrini: Not at all, our books are in perfect order and we have nothing to hide even if it gets to that. Although I really don't see so much of a problem at the time being as we are not talking about hundreds of millions. If they don't resume that ludicrous policy of theirs, Newcastle should be fine.

It is extremely comforting to know Manchester City are past that growing stage now and the fans will almost certainly be spared nerve cracking moments like the Newcastle scenario. But on the other hand I am sure Pellegrini is also watching what's going on there just in case some of those mouth watering players become available on the cheap. Just like all the big clubs in England and Europe.

Cristian Tello transfer verdict: 8.5/10 - a good winger with plenty of Champions League experience at great price - it is a good deal for Manchester City and perhaps the last lacking piece in the puzzle for Pellegrini.

Last edited: