Blasphemy! Seven clubs lock horns for the title after sir Alex Ferguson's retirement!

• Thread starter Thread starter KevinHann
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 2K
  • Views Views 373K
How many points did Aston Villa get in last few months? Two? :I

They are 19th in the form table, mate - just one point off the past five games. On the positive side of things, that's just one point worse than Tottenham! ;)

Gary Lineker: Good evening and welcome to Match of the Day for our thoughts on the 2014/15 Premier League season! It seems the race will be as tight as ever this time around and as we all know it is those direct 6-pointer clashes that play a decisive part in deciding who will fly and who will fall. For this reason we will be focusing solely on those giant games in Match of the Day. Stay with us as Alan Hansen and Alan Shearer aid me on analyzing the key aspects of what happened and why it happened for you!

Newcastle - Manchester United
2-1
View attachment 416509

Gary Lineker: Saint James' Park was the venue of one of the decisive games left in the Premier League calender. While this rivalry has only been revived recently since its glorious days back in the 90s, it was a bit different with Newcastle and Man United chasing different goals at this stage of the campaign. The Magpies needed a win to maintain the distance to chasing pack Chelsea and Man City while the Red Devils were locked with Arsenal in a battle to retain top four status. It was the Magpies who truly wanted it more and attacked viciously from the start. The visitors could and should have given more of a fight but an early Suarez goal didn't help their cause and when Yanga-Mbiwa doubled the lead it was the least Newcastle deserved. It could still have been an interesting affair in the end because Rooney pulled one back just in time to give the Geordies nervous final minutes but the reigning champions held off the tamed Man United attacks in the end with ease.
Alan Hansen: It was a very, very one sided affair and I was left wondering how the Magpies didn't score more goals. Suarez and Ben Arfa were extremely dangerous and had a total of 15 shots combined, many of which on target. Newcastle could have had trouble in the end after manager Dimiter Hristov decided to give Suarez, Sissoko and Ben Arfa a rest with the Champions League quarter final first leg against AS Monaco looming midweek. But even then the Red Devils had little fight to give and Rooney's consolation goal was probably even more than they deserved.
Alan Shearer: As already mentioned, Ben Arfa and Suarez were very sharp for the Magpies, but central defenders Zouma and Yanga-Mbiwa impressed me even more. Walker from the visitors team also had a good game but the PoM award deservedly went to Man United goalkeeper David De Gea, who produced 13 quality saves to keep the score in respectable numbers.
Gary Lineker: It was a champion performance from Newcastle and if they didn't have a massive game midweek to think of I'd fear for the visitors. The result grants the league leaders' four point lead at the top is unscathed but Man United will be worried because this spiritless defeat has allowed Arsenal to build a four point lead of their own in the race for 4th.

Gary Lineker: Good evening and welcome to Match of the Day for our thoughts on the 2014/15 Premier League season! It seems the race will be as tight as ever this time around and as we all know it is those direct 6-pointer clashes that play a decisive part in deciding who will fly and who will fall. For this reason we will be focusing solely on those giant games in Match of the Day. Stay with us as Alan Hansen and Alan Shearer aid me on analyzing the key aspects of what happened and why it happened for you!

Tottenham - Chelsea
2-5
View attachment 416506

Gary Lineker: Chelsea arrived at doom-mongering White Hart Lane knowing nothing less than a win against a largely disappointing Spurs team would keep them in the title race as both Newcastle and Manchester City had already won their weekend games. For once Mourinho instructed his players to attack and they did to a devastating effect. Striker Robert Lewandowski showed why the Blues paid such a hefty fee for his services by bagging an early brace in the opening seven minutes of the game which effectively crushed any resistance the hosts could have mounted. Spurs did claw one back with a good Eriksen strike to keep hopes alive at half time. New recruit Papadopoulos put a massive dent in their bid for a comeback though with a stupid red card just after the break. This calmed Chelsea and Mourinho instructed his team to lower the tempo - which was punished with just 15 minutes to go as Payet shocked the visitors with an equalizer!!! Home cheers were quickly drowned though as Spurs collapsed immediately after - Hazard and Mata quickly restored the visitors' two goal lead, prompting frustration in Tottenham players. Spurs were reduced to nine men when Ayew got a second yellow and there was just enough time for Lewandowski to complete his hattrick with a late strike, sealing the final score - 2-5.
Alan Hansen: I won't say Chelsea didn't have to work for the win, but if Spurs weren't so willing to give it away by shooting themselves with the machine-gun Mourinho would have been in deep, deep trouble for his cautious approach in the second half. I have great respect for the Portuguese manager but I think Chelsea won entirely because of the tremendous individual class within the team and despite the man on the bench!
Alan Shearer: Eriksen was class for Spurs and he single-handedly inspired the comeback for Spurs, but the entire defense had a shocker - Lloris, Coentrao and Kaboul were simply abysmal! Thiago Alcantara had a rarely poor game across the pitch but there were multiple Chelsea players to make up for it. Hazard, Mata and Moreno were exceptional and PoM winner Robert Lewandowski was nothing short of world class in this match.
Gary Lineker: It wasn't a big surprise Chelsea won this match and the neutrals will be happy the Blues survived the scare at the end to keep the title chase a three-horse race.

Wait, who are the three new youth signings you mentioned?

By the way on the topic of new signings - I am open to suggestions for recruits on two key positions for the summer - would appreciate advice here.

I need big players who can expertly fill the following midfield roles:
- Regista
- Advanced Playmaker (support)

It would be best if the proposed ones aren't already transfered in a title contender club. I need genuine quality players who are already much better than what I have in these positions. Basicly you can say I am looking to upgrade Cabaye and Anita (just like I managed to upgrade Taylor with Varane in the previous summer - no sideways moves, please). Let me underline the priority is the players are most capable to fill the specified roles, and it would be preferable to pick someone no older than 25.

Last edited:
English Title Contenders European Watch
View attachment 416477
Quarter Final First Leg

Tuesday 7th April 2015:

Atletico Madrid - Juventus 1-1

Galatasaray - Manchester City 1-0

Chedjou (58)
View attachment 416473View attachment 416472

Wednesday 8th April 2015:

Newcastle - AS Monaco 3-1
Suarez (43), Lamela (58), Peruzzi (84); Ocampos (14)
View attachment 416471View attachment 416470

Manchester United - Barcelona 1-2
Evans sent off (56), Fabio sent off (77), Rooney (88); Messi (10), Neymar (19), Daniel Alves sent off (85)
View attachment 416467View attachment 416466

View attachment 416476

Quarter Final First Leg

Thursday 9th April 2015:

Fulham - Sevilla 0-1
Correa (36)
View attachment 416465View attachment 416464

Stuttgart - Swansea 3-4
Harnik (20), Abdellaoue (25), Rojas (88); Powell (45+1), Michu (47), Buscher o.g. (60), Cork (90+3)
View attachment 416462View attachment 416461

View attachment 416447

Premier League predictions: Lawro v Mel C

BBC Sport's football expert Mark Lawrenson is pitting his wits against a different guest each week this season.

This week he takes on British singer-songwriter, actress, businesswoman and Liverpool fan Melanie Chisholm, professionally known as Melanie C or Mel C. She is one of the five members of the Spice Girls, in which she was nicknamed "Sporty Spice". With the Spice Girls, Chisholm toured the world and sold over 100 million records worldwide. As a solo artist, Mel C has sold more than 12 million records. She has been nominated for BRIT and ECHO awards. She currently is the female artist with the thirdmost number-one singles in the United Kingdom. Chisholm has also received critical acclaim for her starring roles in the West End production of Blood Brothers and the British arena tour of Jesus Christ Superstar.

View attachment 416446
Lawro vs Liverpool fan Mel C

A correct result is worth ONE point. A correct score earns THREE points.

Sunderland - Tottenham
Mel C: This should and must go to the visitors, Sunderland aren't that good. 1-3.
Mark Lawrenson: I think Spurs are way too poor to string a good 90 minute performance for a win. 1-1.

Chelsea - Nottingham Forest
Mel C: Can't see past the Blues in this one. 3-0.
Mark Lawrenson: Chelsea have no error space and will win this easily. 4-1.

Arsenal, Manchester City, Manchester United and Newcastle games postponed

Last week, Lawro got two results right, with no perfect scores. His score of 2 was good enough to match the predictions of Manchester United fan Dereck Chisora, who managed no correct results with no perfect scores.

Total scores after Week Thirty-two
Lawro: 125
Guests: 109

Javi Martinez and Angel Correa

Thanks, I will scout them extensively. Not very optimistic on Javi Martinez, we tried to sign Gotze last summer but he wouldn't even negotiate a contract and had to settle with Lamela instead. Would probably need to win both the Champions League and Premier League to lure him away from FC Bayern.

Angel Correa is uncomfortable with MC though, he's a natural AMC which sadly doesn't fit my formation.

Do you think we should target other positions for summer recruitment as well? I'm considering wrapping up one big signing before the budget gets announced to utilize the spare money we got left now. Still undecided who on.

Last edited:
Manchester City - Newcastle 1-2
Newcastle win after extra time
Aguero (45+1);
Donovan (26), Santon (111)

What a triumphant win!!! Was totally resigned to losing with most key players in need of a rest to be fresh for the massive away game to AS Monaco - but the reserves somehow got us a great, great result against all odds!

English Title Contenders European Watch

View attachment 416370
Quarter Final Second Leg

Tuesday 14th April 2015:

AS Monaco - Newcastle 1-3 (2-6)
Ocampos (49), Danilo sent off (87); Ben Arfa (16), Remy (33), Baines (75)
View attachment 416367View attachment 416366

Barcelona - Manchester United 4-2 (6-3)

Busquets (31), Vidic o.g. (45), Messi (49), Cuenca (53); Blackett sent off (38), Bale (47, 76)

View attachment 416365View attachment 416364

Wednesday 15th April 2015:

Juventus - Atletico Madrid 1-0 (2-1)

Manchester City - Galatasaray 1-3 (1-4)

Silva (88); Drogba (11), Burak Yilmaz (21), Sneijder (24)
View attachment 416362View attachment 416361

View attachment 416369

Quarter Final Second Leg

Thursday 16th April 2015:

Sevilla - Fulham 2-2 (3-2)
Reyes (47), Rusescu (75); Berbatov (51), Rotan (80)

View attachment 416360View attachment 416359

Swansea - Stuttgart 5-3 (9-6)
Bony (13, 20), Dyer (45, 57), Flamini (84); Gentner (41, 74), Haggui (88)

View attachment 416358View attachment 416357

View attachment 416354

Premier League predictions: Lawro v Will

BBC Sport's football expert Mark Lawrenson is pitting his wits against a different guest each week this season.

This week he takes on American comedian, impressionist, actor, producer, writer and Chelsea fan Will Ferrell. Ferrell established himself in the mid-1990s as a cast member of the NBC sketch comedy show Saturday Night Live and has subsequently starred in the comedy films Stranger Than Fiction, Anchorman, School, Elf. He is considered a member of the "Frat Pack", a generation of leading Hollywood comic actors who emerged in the late 1990s and the 2000s, including Jack Black, Ben Stiller, Vince Vaughn and brothers Owen and Luke Wilson.

View attachment 416353
Lawro vs Chelsea fan Will Ferrell

A correct result is worth ONE point. A correct score earns THREE points.

Tottenham - Manchester United
Will Ferrell: I can see these two stealing points off each other - 2-2.
Mark Lawrenson: The way Spurs play this season it should be an away win - 1-5.

Newcastle - Brighton
Will Ferrell: I'll go for a shock result here, maybe out of desperation but you gotta do what you gotta do. 1-1.
Mark Lawrenson: Home win, and a big one. 4-0.

Manchester City - Arsenal
Will Ferrell: I will have my fingers and my toes crossed for a draw here. 2-2.
Mark Lawrenson: City are in the title race and the Gunners are relatively safe in fourth at the minute so I expect a home win - 2-1.

Cardiff - Chelsea
Will Ferrell: We simply must get three points in Wales. 0-4.
Mark Lawrenson: I think the Blues will take this, one way or another. 1-3.

Last week, Lawro got one result right, with no perfect scores. His score of 1 was not good enough to match the predictions of Liverpool fan Melanie C, who managed two correct results with one perfect score.

Total scores after Week Thirty-three
Lawro: 126
Guests: 113

View attachment 416349
Premier League
Round 34

Saturday 18th April 2015:

Tottenham - Manchester United 0-2
Rooney (18), Hamsik (86)
View attachment 416348View attachment 416347View attachment 416346

Newcastle - Brighton 1-0
Depay (1)
View attachment 416345View attachment 416344

Sunday 19th April 2015:

Manchester City - Arsenal 3-0
Jovetic (9), Fernandinho (19), Kompany (46)
View attachment 416343View attachment 416342View attachment 416341

Monday 20th April 2015:

Cardiff - Chelsea 0-4
Dawson sent off (32); Hazard (pen 21), Willian (36, 52), Lewandowski (79)
View attachment 416338View attachment 416337

League Table:

View attachment 416340

By the way on the topic of new signings - I am open to suggestions for recruits on two key positions for the summer - would appreciate advice here.

I need big players who can expertly fill the following midfield roles:
- Regista
- Advanced Playmaker (support)

It would be best if the proposed ones aren't already transfered in a title contender club. I need genuine quality players who are already much better than what I have in these positions. Basicly you can say I am looking to upgrade Cabaye and Anita (just like I managed to upgrade Taylor with Varane in the previous summer - no sideways moves, please). Let me underline the priority is the players are most capable to fill the specified roles, and it would be preferable to pick someone no older than 25.

Goretzka?

Tottenham - Manchester United
0-2
View attachment 416281

Gary Lineker: White Hart Lane has been everything but a fortress this season but David Moyes was still cautious leading his troops to a must-win game against Spurs. The Red Devils did a smooth job scoring once in each half to complete the task at hand - Wayne Rooney opening the score in the 18th minute and Marek Hamsik sealing the game with four minutes to go.
Alan Hansen: You make it sound like a walk in the park, Gary, but it wasn't so easy for Man United. Spurs pulled an untypical strong performance and I even thought they were worthy of more than the scoreline suggests. It was a fierce battle with tackles flying all over the pitch, which totaled to no less than ten yellow cards, five for each team. The hosts also had the majority of possession and created more chances but lack of confidence showed in their poor finishing. The Red Devils crafted two clear-cut chances and put both of them away which was the difference between two very even sides at White Hart Lane.
Alan Shearer: Despite this I can't point a single Tottenham player to praise. Eriksen, Diego Costa and Soldado were disappointing though. The Red Devils had quality throughout the team and Hamsik, Pogba and Vidic particularly shined. Jordi Alba was the PoM award winner though as literally everything went through him and he also created a goal for his team.
Gary Lineker: Man United faced unexpected resistance but came out on top to cut the gap to 4th to a single point - this might be a game David Moyes and his team will look back to as a turning point in their run in of the season. Tottenham were gutted at the full time whistle but they truly tried and it was a step in the right direction for them.

Manchester City - Arsenal
3-0
View attachment 416261

Gary Lineker: The Etihad geared up for one of the more meaningful title contender derbies left on the Premier League fixture list. The hosts were eying the title while visiting Arsenal needed to solidify their 4th position with Man United lurking behind them in the table. Whatever Arsene Wenger's tactical plan was it quickly went in limbo as Man City got a dream start, Jovetic and Fernandinho giving them a two-goal lead within the first twenty minutes. The Citizens claimed total control of the game and any hopes the Gunners might have had for a comeback was brutally strangled just after the break, Kompany scoring the final goal to seal a classic win for the hosts.
Alan Hansen: I think Klopp beat Wenger in the managerial clash as he simply didn't allow the Gunners to turn it into a tactical battle. Man City went all out on the visitors and leaned on the tremendous individual quality of their players, granting them license to go forward and express themselves. Arsenal's rigid formation crumbled under that pressure and it was over before Wenger could change anything.
Alan Shearer: Kompany picked up the PoM award for his key contribution to a clean sheet and the goal he scored but apart from the goalscorers I'd like to pick midfield maestro Luka Modric as the essential player to unlock the visitors' defense - he was incredible with his passing and created two of his team's goals. Arsenal were generally poor and their defensive line was error prone to the slightest push but captain Vermaelen was beyond recognition and will want to forget those ninety minutes ever happened.
Gary Lineker: Arsenal fans will be worried by the sudden drop of form at this crucial stage of the season - I doubt many were expecting a positive result at the Etihad but such a surrender is intolerable for a team challenging for top four. Pressure will only grow on the Gunners with Man United now really sniffing at their backs sitting a single point behind them in the table. The Citizens did exactly what was wanted from them to keep the top spot in sight and if they can win the game in hand they have the title race will be wide open.

Goretzka?

Schalke are willing to accept a reasonable price for him but while my scouts find him a good match for Cabaye, they don't think very high of his potential. Goretzka himself doesn't seem very fond of a move to us as he rejected to even discuss a contract at this stage.

Back