Blasphemy! Seven clubs lock horns for the title after sir Alex Ferguson's retirement!

• Thread starter Thread starter KevinHann
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 2K
  • Views Views 373K

Gary Lineker: Good evening and welcome to Match of the Day for our thoughts on the 2014/15 Premier League season! It seems the race will be as tight as ever this time around and as we all know it is those direct 6-pointer clashes that play a decisive part in deciding who will fly and who will fall. For this reason we will be focusing solely on those giant games in Match of the Day. Stay with us as Alan Hansen and Alan Shearer aid me on analyzing the key aspects of what happened and why it happened for you!

Arsenal - Newcastle
2-1
View attachment 416233

Gary Lineker: Arsenal welcomed league leaders and reigning champions Newcastle to the Emirates in hope to put the disastrous weekend loss behind. The postponed midweek game gave them just the opportunity to do so while keeping an eye on how the Manchester derby went in the same time. Newcastle were also hopeful of registering a good score to at least open a gap to Chelsea. It was the Gunners to start in a brilliant manner though with Candreva scoring an early opener to sent the home crowd into ruptures. The Magpies went looking for an equalizer but the goal gave Arsenal new-found belief and they struck again on the half hour mark with a good Giroud finish from inside the box. Newcastle wouldn't give up despite the two-goal deficit at half time and pulled one back through a Januzaj cross the home keeper misjudged badly to let it end up in his net. That was all the visitors could pull out though and it was Arsenal taking the three points at the Emirates.
Alan Hansen: I felt the Gunners wanted it more in the first half and once the early goal went in and the home fans got behind their team it was an uphill struggle for the Magpies. They were aggressive and creative as usual but lacked their famous bite in the final third and the equalizer didn't come to fruition despite the triple shake-up subs Hristov tried in the second half. By the way I am still at a loss why he withdrew Januzaj when chasing the game, the kid was looking sharp and didn't seem tired to me.
Alan Shearer: Other than the Arsenal goalscorers, I was impressed with Diego Reyes and Ben Davies who created the goals for the hosts. We simply must highlight the incredible PoM worthy performance by captain Vermaelen, who completely erased memories from the nightmare game he had last weekend. Januzaj was the only bright light in a largely threatening but even more wasteful Newcastle team.
Gary Lineker: This is a massive win for Arsenal and they can now look forward to the run in knowing they can get the results required to retain this golden 4th position. The Magpies had a poor game but must not dwell on it as they still have it all in their hands with so few games left to play.

Gary Lineker: Good evening and welcome to Match of the Day for our thoughts on the 2014/15 Premier League season! It seems the race will be as tight as ever this time around and as we all know it is those direct 6-pointer clashes that play a decisive part in deciding who will fly and who will fall. For this reason we will be focusing solely on those giant games in Match of the Day. Stay with us as Alan Hansen and Alan Shearer aid me on analyzing the key aspects of what happened and why it happened for you!

Manchester United - Manchester City
3-1
View attachment 416200

Gary Lineker: The city of Manchester looked feverishly forward to the clash of giants at Old Trafford - Champions League quota chasing Man United versus title hopeful Man City, David Moyes versus Jurgen Klopp, Gareth Bale versus Cristiano Ronaldo. This was the third time the clubs met this season, Man City winning both the corresponding league fixture and the Capital One cup clash - but the duel of record-breaking summer arrivals Bale and Ronaldo was still tied as they had a goal each in those two games.
Alan Hansen: When you have players like Ronaldo and Bale on the pitch, they are always going to be the key figures for their teams. This was the case in this edition of the derby - Bale opened the score in the 4th minute and Ronaldo equalized from the spot just 9 minutes later. It was the Welsh wizard who got the upper hand with a second goal to give the home side a half time lead. City couldn't utilize any of their other weapons and were entirely reliant on Ronaldo while the Red Devils played better as a team and it showed. Phil Jones added a third goal and Bale missed a chance to complete a hattrick by blasting a late penalty kick over the bar.
Alan Shearer: That penalty miss didn't prevent Bale from picking the PoM award and ultimately winning this season's duel with Ronaldo even if the Citizens prevailed in the overall clashes. Hamsik, Pogba and De Gea also were crucial to this vital win for the Red Devils. Despite scoring from the spot, Ronaldo was far from his usual quality and the only visitors player to make an impression was Arturo Vidal with his accurate passing, hard tackling and the amazing distance he covered on the pitch.
Gary Lineker: This win allows the Red Devils to stay firmly behind the Gunners' back in the league table in the race to 4th, but it denied Man City a great, great chance to capitalize on the wrong step by Newcastle. We can safely say the big winners from the postponed midweek games were... Chelsea, who got a lifeline in their own title bid without even playing.

Schalke are willing to accept a reasonable price for him but while my scouts find him a good match for Cabaye, they don't think very high of his potential. Goretzka himself doesn't seem very fond of a move to us as he rejected to even discuss a contract at this stage.
Marco Verrati or Illaramendi (latter is usually transfer listed for like 4-5M by RM), Did anyone else buy Ramsey?(don't remember) he is good and can play through balls like Cabaye. Lewis Holtby has decent tackling, can play as CM and is competent as DM, is young so can be retrained.

Marco Verrati or Illaramendi (latter is usually transfer listed for like 4-5M by RM), Did anyone else buy Ramsey?(don't remember) he is good and can play through balls like Cabaye. Lewis Holtby has decent tackling, can play as CM and is competent as DM, is young so can be retrained.

Ramsey is okay but not quite special - he's in the mix if we can't attract better quality. Holtby will hardly make the shortlist, the other two I will scout and consider as I'm not sure how good they are in comparison.

Ramsey is okay but not quite special - he's in the mix if we can't attract better quality. Holtby will hardly make the shortlist, the other two I will scout and consider as I'm not sure how good they are in comparison.
Goretzka is actually a beast for me and definitely the best CM. Would've recommended Pogba straight away if United hadn't bought him, he's also homegrown. Thiago is another world class DLP, but he's at Chelsea. These germans rarely come to England (Gundogan etc).

Last edited:
View attachment 416197

Premier League predictions: Lawro v Jay-Z

BBC Sport's football expert Mark Lawrenson is pitting his wits against a different guest each week this season.

This week he takes on American rapper, record producer, enterpreneur and Arsenal fan Shawn Corey Carter, known by his stage name Jay-Z. He is one of the most financially successful hip-hop artists in America. In 2012, Forbes estimated his net worth at nearly 500 million dollars. He has sold more than 75 million records while receiving 17 Grammy Awards for his musical work. Jay-Z also founded the sports agency Roc Nation Sports and is a certified NBA and MLB sports agent. He married American R&B singer Beyonce in 2008. They have a daughter named Blue Ivy Carter.

View attachment 416196
Lawro vs Arsenal fan Jay-Z

A correct result is worth ONE point. A correct score earns THREE points.

Everton - Newcastle
Jay-Z: This can open the title race wide open and I can see it happen - 2-2.
Mark Lawrenson: I won't bet against a Newcastle team looking to bounce back after the midweek loss at the Emirates - 1-3.

Manchester United - Nottingham Forest
Jay-Z: I'd like to say otherwise but simply can't see how Forest will stop Man United at Old Trafford. 3-0.
Mark Lawrenson: The Red Devils were great in the midweek game and that kind of form makes this type of game easy to win. 4-0.

Brighton - Manchester City
Jay-Z: Away win is certain, question is how many goals. 0-4.
Mark Lawrenson: The Citizens will also be hungry to bounce back to winning ways and it could get embarrassing for the hosts. 1-4.

Chelsea - Aston Villa
Jay-Z: Mourinho will not allow points to be dropped at home right now - 2-0.
Mark Lawrenson: Chelsea have enough quality to win this easily but I will look for a surprise here - 1-1.

Arsenal - Tottenham
Jay-Z: There couldn't be a better time for this derby! 3-0.
Mark Lawrenson: Spurs might be a pale shadow this season but overconfidence might serve Arsenal a bad favour here. 2-2.

Last week, Lawro got three results right, with no perfect scores. His score of 3 was a perfect match for the predictions of Chelsea fan Will Ferrell, who managed one correct result with one perfect score.

Total scores after Week Thirty-four
Lawro: 129
Guests: 116

Goretzka is actually a beast for me and definitely the best CM. Would've recommended Pogba straight away if United hadn't bought him, he's also homegrown. Thiago is another world class DLP, but he's at Chelsea. These germans rarely come to England (Gundogan etc).

Is Will Hughes in the same league or worse?

Is Will Hughes in the same league or worse?
Depends on how he's developed and injuries, for most people he's been beast, also his potential may vary from save to save. He's definitely worth checking out, if he wasn't seriously injured, he's still young, grab him up.

View attachment 416190
Premier League
Round 35

Saturday 25th April 2015:

Everton - Newcastle 1-2
Pienaar (48); Depay (18), Donovan (61)
View attachment 416183View attachment 416182

Manchester United - Nottingham Forest 2-0
Hernandez (3), Nani (53)
View attachment 416181View attachment 416180

Brighton - Manchester City 2-3
Keita (45+1), Buckley (79); Ronaldo (5, 19, 51)
View attachment 416179View attachment 416178

Sunday 26th April 2015:

Chelsea - Aston Villa 2-1
Cahill (7), Lampard (77); Kozak (89)
View attachment 416177View attachment 416175

Arsenal - Tottenham 1-2
Sagna (87); Vertonghen (14), Lichtsteiner sent off (31), Ayew (34)
View attachment 416174View attachment 416173View attachment 416172

League Table:

View attachment 416171

Depends on how he's developed and injuries, for most people he's been beast, also his potential may vary from save to save. He's definitely worth checking out, if he wasn't seriously injured, he's still young, grab him up.

So he is injury prone? Wouldn't touch him with a barge pole if so!

So he is injury prone? Wouldn't touch him with a barge pole if so!
He isn't, if he is in your save your scout will mention it in weakness. He is Lampard-esque in general, 38 game per season player. Also that reminds me of Ward-Prowse, though he can't play DM.

Arsenal - Tottenham
1-2
View attachment 416165

Gary Lineker: Arsene Wenger spoke about complacency while the Emirates geared up for the clash with fierce rivals Tottenham. The Gunners were in commanding position to make a return to Champions League football next season but victory over struggling Spurs was a must for that target to be met. Under-pressure visiting manager Andre Villas-Boas was more than happy with his team's underdogs status and despite Wenger's warning the Gunners did underestimate Tottenham and paid the price for it when Vertonghen got an early goal. The home crowd thought the game was going to be turned when Lichtsteiner was sent off on the half hour mark but before Arsenal could even think of committing more bodies forward the visitors broke through again and Ayew scored a second goal. This shell shocked the home side and even though Sagna pulled one back late in the game the equalizer never came.
Alan Hansen: The Gunners were blatantly complacent in this one and deserved everything that happened. I couldn't believe how wasteful they were in front of goal while Spurs definitely were the more organized and patient outfit even after the sending off. The confusion in Arsenal was so huge they couldn't even establish territorial advantage and their midfield kept giving the ball away in a totally irresponsible manner. This one can't be blamed on Wenger as he did all he could from the bench and introduced three offensive players after the break. You can't call yourself a professional player if you can't stand up to the challenge of securing Champions League football and in this particular game, there were way too few professionals in red and white shirts.
Alan Shearer: Sagna - who took the PoM award - was the only Gunner to save face from a very miserable home team. Spurs didn't shine that much individually but their team effort was second to none - but I will highlight Vertonghen and Coentrao for their solid defensive work.
Gary Lineker: Incredibly this shock result throws the whole season of the Gunners in limbo and they are now behind Man United in the table which means unless a miracle occurs they will kiss Champions League goodbye. Spurs fans had little to cheer for this campaign but will no doubt celebrate destroying their arch rivals' dream.

Barcelona - Newcastle 2-2
Puyol (26), Iniesta (31), Puyol sent off (64); Suarez (41), Varane sent off (45+2), Remy (59)

Proud with that performance but gutted with yet another red card - injuries and suspensions are mounting and with several players unregistered for this tournament we might not be able to field a fully fit team in the second leg :(

looks like its going to be a thrilling end to the season, so close there. I think NUFC will grab a second title in 2 years though.

View attachment 415993
April Watch

View attachment 415988
Premier League Table

The Contenders:

Newcastle (1st; 86pts; +56) - the Magpies picked up 9 points this month and it was enough to stay top of the league with three games left: Southampton (H), Stoke (H) and Swansea (A).
Player of the month: Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa (DC) 7.58
3 Current first team injuries:
Yohan Cabaye (DM/MC) - 3-4 months (broken leg)
Eduardo Salvio (AMRL) - 2-4 days (gashed leg)
Erik Lamela (AMRLC) - 11-21 days (torn groin muscle)

Chelsea
(2nd; 85pts; +57) - the Blues picked up 12 points this month to cut the gap to the top to a single point with three games left: Crystal Palace (A), West Ham (A) and Q.P.R. (H).
Player of the month: Eden Hazard (MC/AMRLC) 8.10
4 Current first team injuries:
Eliaquim Mangala (DLC) - 3-5 weeks (hip injury)
Juan Mata (AMRLC) - 2-5 days (groin strain)
Alexis Sanchez (AMRLC/ST) - 2 weeks (pulled hamstring)
Romelu Lukaku (ST) - 2-3 weeks (twisted ankle)

Manchester City
(3rd; 85pts; +43) - the Citizens picked up 12 points this month and sit one point off the top but their inferior goal difference will probably count as an extra point behind - their remaining games are also significantly tougher: Everton (H), Swansea (H) and Southampton (A).
Player of the month: Vincent Kompany (DC/DM/MC) 7.66
2 Current first team injuries:
Arturo Vidal (DM/MC) - 5-9 days (thigh strain)
Stevan Jovetic (AMLC/ST) - 2 weeks (twisted ankle)

Manchester United (4th; 73pts; +40) - the Red Devils picked up 9 points this month which was enough to overtake Arsenal in the race for 4th with three games left: Cardiff (A), Crystal Palace (A) and Aston Villa (H).
Player of the month: Gareth Bale (AMRLC) 7.76
2 Current first team injuries:
Anders Lindegaard (GK) - 5-6 weeks (broken finger)
Michael Carrick (DM/MC) - 1-2 days (bruised shin)

Arsenal
(5th; 71pts; +24) - the Gunners picked up 6 points this month which puts them in an outsider position for the last Champions League quota now as their poor goal difference doesn't help - final games: Nottingham Forest (A), Aston Villa (A), Cardiff (H).
Player of the month: Bacary Sagna (DRC/WBR) 7.14
8 Current first team injuries:
Per Mertesacker (DC) - 8 days (damaged achilles tendon)
Thomas Vermaelen (DLC) - 2-4 days (twisted knee)
Filipe (D/WBL) - 4-6 weeks (dislocated shoulder)
Mattia De Sciglio (D/WBRL) - 4-5 weeks (strained knee ligaments)
Aaron Ramsey (MC) - 4-5 weeks (lower back stress fracture)
Jack Wilshere (M/AMC) - 2-4 weeks (slipped disk)
Adel Taarabt (MR/AMLC) - 3-4 months (broken foot)
Carlos Vela (AMRLC/ST) - 3 weeks (strained ankle ligaments)

Tottenham (7th; 53pts; +4) - Spurs picked up 6 points this month which makes their current position nearly certain but it will probably bring them Europa League football - final games: Brighton (H), Southampton (H), Everton (A).
Player of the month: Fabio Coentrao (D/WB/ML) 7.00
3 Current first team injuries:
Ryan Bertrand (D/WB/AML) - 2-3 weeks (damaged foot)
Antoine Griezmann (ML/AMLC) - 2-4 days (bruised shin)
Karim Benzema (ST) - 11-21 days (broken foot)

Other teams to watch:

Southampton (6th) - the Saints are all but certain to maintain this position to the end and maintain Europa League football next season.

West Ham and Sunderland are in deep trouble at the bottom, needing at least two wins and results going their way to survive.

Newly promoted Brighton have already been confirmed as the first relegated club and will make a return to the Championship after having a taste of the Premier League.

April Player of the Month:
Cristiano Ronaldo (Manchester City)
View attachment 415990

April Young Player of the Month:
James Husband (Nottingham Forest)
View attachment 415991

April Manager of the Month:
Jose Mourinho (Chelsea)
View attachment 415992

Leading Goalscorers:
View attachment 415989

View attachment 415986

Premier League predictions: Lawro v Michelle

BBC Sport's football expert Mark Lawrenson is pitting his wits against a different guest each week this season.

This week he takes on English actress and Manchester City fan Michelle Keegan, who is best known for playing Tina McIntyre in the soap opera Coronation Street from 2008 to 2014. She attended St Patrick's RC High School in Salford, and later the Manchester School of Acting. Keegan worked at Selfridges in the Trafford Centre shopping mall and as a check-in agent at Manchester Airport. She went out with Hollyoaks and Emmerdale actor Anthony Quinlan from 2006 to 2008 and the model Brad Howard from 2008 until 2010. She was engaged to The Wanted's Max George after meeting him at one of their concerts in December 2010. They broke up in mid-2012. She began dating Mark Wright in December 2012. On 9 September 2013, it was confirmed the two were engaged. She has dated, engaged and broke up with a dozen other models, actors and musicians over the past two years.

View attachment 415985
Lawro vs Manchester City fan Michelle Keegan

A correct result is worth ONE point. A correct score earns THREE points.

Newcastle - Southampton
Michelle Keegan: I can see a surprise here. 1-1.
Mark Lawrenson: This will probably the toughest game for the Magpies till the end, if they win it, they can move on and defend their title - and I expect them to do just that. 2-0.

Manchester City - Everton
Michelle Keegan: We should win this easily, really, who are Everton? 3-0.
Mark Lawrenson: I don't think the Citizens can afford a mistake here, and they are way too good for the Toffees. 3-1.

Cardiff - Manchester United
Michelle Keegan: Away win is certain, question is how many goals. 0-4.
Mark Lawrenson: I will back up a surprise here. 2-2.

Crystal Palace - Chelsea
Michelle Keegan: This will end up in tears for Chelsea. 1-0.
Mark Lawrenson: Emotions aside, the Blues will murder them. 1-5.

Nottingham Forest - Arsenal
Michelle Keegan: Away win, easy to see. 1-3.
Mark Lawrenson: I also think the Gunners will take this. 0-2.

Tottenham - Brighton
Michelle Keegan: These two are about equally as poor this season so - 1-1.
Mark Lawrenson: Spurs will win this game, even though Brighton don't have any pressure on them now that relegation has been confirmed. 3-1.

Last week, Lawro got three results right, with no perfect scores. His score of 3 was a perfect match for the predictions of Arsenal fan Jay-Z, who managed three correct results with no perfect scores.

Total scores after Week Thirty-five
Lawro: 132
Guests: 119

View attachment 415980
Premier League
Round 36

Saturday 2nd May 2015:

Newcastle - Southampton 4-1
Donovan (18, 48), Remy (36, 46); Osvaldo (57)
View attachment 415973View attachment 415972

Tottenham - Brighton 1-1
Kaboul (8); Barnes (pen 86)
View attachment 415969View attachment 415968

Cardiff - Manchester United 2-0
Gunnarsson (34, 86); Rafael sent off (82)
View attachment 415967View attachment 415966

Manchester City - Everton 4-0
Modric (8), Ronaldo (10), Silva (40), Toure (57)
View attachment 415965View attachment 415963

Nottingham Forest - Arsenal 1-0
*** (8)
View attachment 415962View attachment 415961

Crystal Palace -
Chelsea 0-2
Hunt sent off (69); Ramos (24), Hazard (72)
View attachment 415960View attachment 415959

League Table:

View attachment 415971

Back