Blasphemy! Seven clubs lock horns for the title after sir Alex Ferguson's retirement!

• Thread starter Thread starter KevinHann
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 2K
  • Views Views 373K
View attachment 407967

Premier League predictions: Lawro v Usain Bolt

BBC Sport's football expert Mark Lawrenson is pitting his wits against a different guest each week this season.

This week he takes on Manchester United fan Usain Bolt - the Jamaican superstar sprinter widely regarded as the fastest person ever.

View attachment 407966
Lawro vs Manchester United fan Usain

A correct result is worth ONE point. A correct score earns THREE points.

Newcastle - Hull
Usain Bolt: I don't think Newcastle will drop points here. 2-0.
Mark Lawrenson: The Magpies have struggled to show their impressive form from the past three seasons but they are still too good for the Tigers. 3-1.

Manchester City - Chelsea
Usain Bolt: It would be perfect if these two end up in a draw, wouldn't it? 2-2.
Mark Lawrenson: It is a very close affair and I'll back the Citizens just because they are at home. 2-1.

Blackburn - Manchester United
Usain Bolt: Rovers have little experience as title contenders and we will take full advantage of it - 1-3.
Mark Lawrenson: If the Red Devils underestimate their hosts they would be in big trouble. 2-2.

Arsenal - Bolton
Usain Bolt: The Trotters are quite ambitious, they nearly lured the Man City manager - haha! 1-1.
Mark Lawrenson: No trouble for Arsenal here. 3-0.

Last week, Lawro got two results right, with one perfect score. His score of 4 was a perfect match for the predictions of Tottenham fan Phil Collins, who scored 4, managing two correct results with one perfect score.

Total scores after Week Three
Lawro: 13
Guests: 15

View attachment 407940
Premier League
Round 4

Saturday 10th September 2016:

Newcastle - Hull 5-1
Remy (21, 25, 43), Balotelli (22), Donovan (64); Brady (9)

View attachment 407926View attachment 407925

Manchester City - Chelsea 3-1
Ronaldo (20), Gotze (73, 78); Fabregas (81)
View attachment 407922View attachment 407921View attachment 407919

Blackburn - Manchester United 1-2
van Ginkel (6), Carvajal sent off (52); Verratti (pen 33), Pogba (89)
View attachment 407917View attachment 407916View attachment 407915

Sunday 11th September 2016:

Arsenal - Bolton 1-0
Cavani (53)
View attachment 407912View attachment 407911

League Table:

View attachment 407909

Last edited:

Gary Lineker: Good evening and welcome to Match of the Day for our thoughts on the 2016/17 Premier League season! It seems the race will be as tight as ever this time around and as we all know it is those direct 6-pointer clashes that play a decisive part in deciding who will fly and who will fall. For this reason we will be focusing solely on those giant games in Match of the Day. Stay with us as Alan Hansen and Alan Shearer aid me on analyzing the key aspects of what happened and why it happened for you!

Manchester City - Chelsea
3-1
View attachment 407903

Gary Lineker: Man City welcomed reigning champions Chelsea at the Etihad having tasted defeat already this season but determined to inflict a first loss to their visitors in the campaign to stay hot on the trails of arch-rivals Man United. The Blues needed a win even more or risked dropping seven points behind the top. Ronaldo gave the hosts a first half lead but the fireworks were left for the closing quarter hour of the match when Gotze turned up another gear and scored a quickfire brace to seal victory. The Blues could only pull a consolation Fabregas goal but it was little comfort for traveling fans!
Alan Hansen: Mourinho had a tactical plan of holding possession but I thought it didn't work at all. The Citizens were happy to play on the counter and created many, many chances. They were just better in all components of the game, most notably dominating the heading department by winning 73% of the aerial battles while the Blues only managed 48%. Chelsea were forced to commit numerous fouls to interrupt the flowing counters but it didn't help and the quality of Ronaldo and Gotze was just too good for the visitors!
Alan Shearer: It was all about Ronaldo and Gotze - each of them also got an assist, the latter won the PoM award as well. Fabregas was the only Chelsea player to save face and I thought the David Luiz performance in defense was simply outrageous and Jose should probably drop him.
Gary Lineker: This win allows Man City to stay within three points from the top but it is bad news for Chelsea who are reduced to midtable after only picking up 5 points from the opening 4 games this season.

Gary Lineker: Good evening and welcome to Match of the Day for our thoughts on the 2016/17 Premier League season! It seems the race will be as tight as ever this time around and as we all know it is those direct 6-pointer clashes that play a decisive part in deciding who will fly and who will fall. For this reason we will be focusing solely on those giant games in Match of the Day. Stay with us as Alan Hansen and Alan Shearer aid me on analyzing the key aspects of what happened and why it happened for you!

Blackburn - Manchester United
1-2
View attachment 407882

Gary Lineker: Ewood Park was in feverish anticipation for the clash with league leaders Man United - a home win would have placed Blackburn above their visitors! Rovers got off to a brilliant start with an early van Ginkel goal but a penalty half an hour in the game allowed Verratti to score in his debut and it was all level at half time. Rovers suffered a massive hit just after the break with Carvajal getting his marching orders but even down to ten men, the hosts held on until the final minutes when Paul Pogba scored a vital winner to seal a massive win for Man United.
Alan Hansen: It was a pity Carvajal spoiled the game with his stupid sending off as Rovers were clearly dominating and I felt they could and should have won it. Actually the hosts remained the better side even after the red card but let's not take any credit away from Man United - they won ugly and that's what counts when you have title aspirations!
Alan Shearer: There weren't any breathtaking individual performances and van Ginkel took the PoM award. De Gea was decent in goal for the Red Devils and Pogba did pretty well to come off the bench and score the winner with his only shot.
Gary Lineker: Man United continue to helm the table and they still have a perfect record! Blackburn have slided down to seventh though and are now five points behind.

View attachment 407867

Champions League Title Odds (Sky Bet):

5-2 Manchester City
5-2 Chelsea
3-1 Manchester United
4-1 Newcastle

10-1 Juventus
10-1 Paris Saint-Germain​

Last edited:
View attachment 407839

Premier League predictions: Lawro v Leonardo DiCaprio

BBC Sport's football expert Mark Lawrenson is pitting his wits against a different guest each week this season.

This week he takes on Hollywood superstar actor, producer and Liverpool fan Leonardo DiCaprio who has been nominated for three Academy Awards and nine Golden Globe Awards. DiCaprio won the Golden Globe Award for Best Actor for his performance in The Aviator.

View attachment 407838
Lawro vs Liverpool fan Leo

Stoke - Blackburn
Leonardo DiCaprio: This should be an even match and I think there won't be a winner. 1-1.
Mark Lawrenson: I'll back Rovers for a win at Britannia but it will be tough. 2-3.

Bolton - Manchester City
Leonardo DiCaprio: Can't see past the visitors in this one. 0-3.
Mark Lawrenson: The Citizens are on fire at the moment and the only question is how many will they score. 0-4.

Chelsea - Southampton
Leonardo DiCaprio: The champions aren't at their best yet and could drop more points against a very good Saints team. 1-1.
Mark Lawrenson: I just can't imagine Chelsea will fail to win this at Stamford Bridge. 3-1.

Aston Villa - Newcastle
Leonardo DiCaprio: There will be goals at Villa Park but the Magpies should have the edge in the end. 2-4.
Mark Lawrenson: I'll also back the visitors in this one. 1-3.

Arsenal - West Ham
Leonardo DiCaprio: London derbies are so unpredictable. 1-1.
Mark Lawrenson: The Gunners are too good for the visitors in this one. 3-0.

Manchester United - Tottenham
Leonardo DiCaprio: I can see Spurs getting a result at Old Trafford. 1-2.
Mark Lawrenson: The Red Devils are in perfect shape and form right now and Tottenham aren't what they used to be so home win for me. 3-1.

Last week, Lawro got three results right, with no perfect scores. His score of 3 was just good enough to beat the predictions of Manchester United fan Usain Bolt, who scored 2, managing two correct results with no perfect scores.

Total scores after Week Four
Lawro: 16
Guests: 17

View attachment 407836
Premier League
Round 5

Saturday 17th September 2016:

Stoke - Blackburn 3-1
Arnautovic (6, 90+4), Pugliese (90); Ljajic (37)
View attachment 407835View attachment 407834

Bolton - Manchester City 1-1
Rantie (4); Messi (3)
View attachment 407833View attachment 407832

Chelsea - Southampton 2-1
Lewandowski (3, 25); Davis (61)
View attachment 407831View attachment 407830

Sunday 18th September 2016:

Aston Villa - Newcastle 1-3
Adebayor (75); Alvarez Balanta (16), Salvio (21), Suarez (65)
View attachment 407829View attachment 407828

Arsenal
- West Ham 4-1
Cavani (26, 30, 50), El Shaarawy (35); Jarvis (17)
View attachment 407827View attachment 407826

Manchester United - Tottenham 3-1
Bale (33, 35, 45+2); Higuain (20)
View attachment 407824View attachment 407823

League Table:

View attachment 407825

English Title Contenders Cup Watch

View attachment 407822

Third Round

Tuesday 20th September 2016:

Newcastle - Nottingham Forest 4-0
Remy (pen 2, pen 25), Ben Arfa (31, 65)
View attachment 407821View attachment 407820

Arsenal - West Ham 2-0
Aubameyang (18, 26)
View attachment 407813View attachment 407812

Derby County - Chelsea 0-4
Mata (59, 68, 86), Neymar (87)
View attachment 407819View attachment 407818

Q.P.R. - Manchester City 0-6
Aguero (19, 23, pen 38, 50), Sigurdsson (21), Kompany (34)
View attachment 407817View attachment 407816

Wednesday 21st September 2016:

Cardiff - Manchester United 0-3
Henriquez (6, 36), Rooney (69)
View attachment 407815View attachment 407814

View attachment 407809

Premier League predictions: Lawro v Simon Pegg

This week he takes on English actor, comedian, writer, film producer, director and Chelsea fan Simon Pegg. He is best known for having co-written and starred in the Edgar Wright features Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, and The World's End, and the comedy series Spaced.

View attachment 407808
Lawro vs Chelsea fan Simon

Manchester City - Arsenal
Simon Pegg: I'll back the Gunners to sneak a draw but it will be hard. 2-2.
Mark Lawrenson: Sorry, can't see past the Citizens for this one. 3-0.

West Ham - Manchester United
Simon Pegg: This is a good place to see Man United drop points at last! 1-1.
Mark Lawrenson: I'm not going to bet against the Red Devils here. 1-3.

Derby County - Chelsea
Simon Pegg: We already won against the Rams in the midweek cup game, should win this, too. 0-4.
Mark Lawrenson: The Blues don't have any room for further errors and I think they will win. 0-3.

Newcastle - Everton
Simon Pegg: I'll back the Magpies here. 2-0.
Mark Lawrenson: The Toffees could pose some threat but I don't think they can contain the hosts to get a good result. 3-1.

Blackburn - Hull
Simon Pegg: Rovers should win. 2-1.
Mark Lawrenson: I second that but also think the hosts will score big - 4-0.

Last week, Lawro got four results right, with two perfect scores. His score of 8 was way too good for the predictions of Liverpool fan Leonardo DiCaprio, who scored 1, managing one correct result with no perfect scores.

Total scores after Week Five
Lawro: 24
Guests: 18

Last edited:
View attachment 407805
Premier League
Round 6

Saturday 24th September 2016:

Manchester City - Arsenal 3-1
Gotze (2, 18, 44); Cavani (25)

View attachment 407796View attachment 407795View attachment 407794

West Ham - Manchester United 0-4
Eckersley sent off (24); Rooney (15), Bale (37), Giroud (76), Hamsik (86)
View attachment 407793View attachment 407792

Derby County - Chelsea 1-4
Vazquez (79); Thiago Alcantara (25), Lewandowski (50, 65), Oscar (70)
View attachment 407791View attachment 407790

Newcastle - Everton 4-1
Baines (14), Balotelli (35), Lamela (52), Salvio (84); Welbeck (63)
View attachment 407789View attachment 407788

Monday 26th September 2016:

Blackburn - Hull
7-2
Lukaku (10), Robben (25, 30, pen 43, 82), Lallana (41), Vermaelen (90+1); Austin (3), Schneiderlin o.g. (45+2)
View attachment 407787View attachment 407786

League Table:

View attachment 407785

Manchester City - Arsenal
3-1
View attachment 407782

Gary Lineker: Arsenal were sitting one point over their hosts in this derby Man City prior to the match at the Etihad and needed at least a draw to keep it that way. Mario Gotze had other ideas in mind though and continued his red hot streak of form with a first half hattrick, sandwiching a Cavani goal for Arsenal. The Gunners couldn't find a way back in it after the break and Man City keep marching after putting the slow start well behind their backs!
Alan Hansen: Wenger tried to set up his team in a way to play open football and try and match the Citizens but it was nothing short of suicide at the Etihad! Man City carved the visiting defense open six times and any of those clear-cut chances should have been a goal - while the Gunners only had two golden chances. Yes, the away team gave a good fight and lost with dignity but being gracious in defeat is not good enough! I'd say a good word about Man City although we all know what they are capable of and Arsenal played it in their hands in this match.
Alan Shearer: The major worry for Klopp is the injury Ronaldo picked up in this game which will probably keep him out for the next three weeks. Other than that Gotze obviously picked up the PoM award and Modric was at his usual greatness to provide two assists, but I'd also commend Lahm and especially Yaya Toure for their performances. No noteworthy displays in the visitors team, although De Sciglio and Isco were below par.
Gary Lineker: This is another title contender derby victory for Man City and they keep the pace of the Red Devils while taking the toughest games off the fixture list. Arsenal slide down to sixth and are now 7 points behind in the title race.

Back