Bolton v Arsenal (Sun)

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 117
  • Views Views 5K
Well he's good, but not good enought to be a Top4 club's No1. VDS , Cech , Hart , Szczesny, Reina. Who doesnt belong?

Stekelenburg would be great fix. Not too young to disturb Szczesny's development.

Funny you should mention Reina...he's made a lot of mistakes this season and is as unreliable as Szczesny. I wouldn't be happy if Wenger brought him into the club anyway.

I'm honestly going to cry my eyes out, with what's wrong with Wenger.

Funny you should mention Reina...he's made a lot of mistakes this season and is as unreliable as Szczesny. I wouldn't be happy if Wenger brought him into the club anyway.

Reina >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Szczesny.

i dont know to be honest but they have to start trying to look at those kind of targets

Wenger should just spend something to get people off his back. Could see him really venting the frustration today too, it has to be getting to him. With the amount of deadwood they have as well, it's not like they couldn't afford a relatively big signing without breaking budget anyway.

Well I wouldnt want Reina either at club. He'd cost over 20m whereas we could get Stekelenburg for something like 10m.

Regardless of positions, I think Arsenal need to sign some winners, because currently they are a collection of very talented bottlers. I think major changes have to be made, not to improve the technical quality, but to improve the mental side of the team.

"If you can prove my principles are wrong, I am ready to change them all. Conceding a goal from a corner in the last minute is not enough to convince me."

Surely losing a 4-0 lead should do something to convince him, though?

You're the only team along with United to consistently be in the CL, hardly falling from grace. Why would you get another world class striker so he/RVP can benchwarm? Name a striker of that quality that will be happy not being guaranteed his place. Djourou and Koscielny have looked promising at times, and you have TV5 coming back which is a massive boost.

There's places to improve and players that need to be sold, but the overhaul you suggested is ridiculous. For a squad of an average age of 23 or whatever, I'd say they're successful. Just needs another leader on the pitch for them to look up to, be it TV5 or someone new.

Whats the point of being in Europe when your not gonna win it we even struggled to finish first in a group we should have dominated
We need a WC ST because we need to change our formation why don't we go back to the 4-4-2 that was so successful for us
the Cb's never look confident to me and always look like they are ready to concede and in the CB position you can't be good one game and be average the next next to the GK it is the most consistent position
the suggestions i suggested are simply there to improve the team
A team of

Given/Adler

Sagna -TV5 - Cahill - Baines

Wilshere/new DMC - Cesc

Walcott -------------------- Nasri

RVP----------------- WC striker
only 4/5 changes made that made improve the team a **** of a lot while song,szczesny, djourou, Jack etc are allowed to develop and rotate

by bringing in Cahill and Given (unlikely) we bring in leaders who know how to cope with the pressures on PL

Wenger should just spend something to get people off his back. Could see him really venting the frustration today too, it has to be getting to him. With the amount of deadwood they have as well, it's not like they couldn't afford a relatively big signing without breaking budget anyway.

Even without selling they have a decent budget, arsenals real problem is that they have quite a high wage bill, its not too far off ours. They need to cut the deadweight in the summer, free those wages for better players.

do you people agree that cohen shouldn't be booked! For heaven's sake he was paying tribute to his father just respect someone's emotions.

Wanted Arsenal to win this to keep the pressure on United. This probably rules them out of any sort of comeback, they'd need to beat United and rely on them losing two more games, aswell has making up the goal difference. That's now only 2 wins for Arsenal in the last 11 games. Those against Orient and Blackpool, interesting no one talks about this.

Anyway, pleased Sturridge keeps scoring. Will be looking forward to seeing him back next year.

Even without selling they have a decent budget, arsenals real problem is that they have quite a high wage bill, its not too far off ours. They need to cut the deadweight in the summer, free those wages for better players.

Yeah but I assume they want to leave a certain amount in the bank to maintain their fiscal health. So they could just sell so that their net spend stays within budget if you get me.

---------- Post added at 06:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:43 PM ----------

do you people agree that cohen shouldn't be booked! For heaven's sake he was paying tribute to his father just respect someone's emotions.

He wasn't booked..

He had to be booked, emotion is no excuse for breaking the rules...sorry.

Mancini will never sell us Given and Adler has better chance on winning CL in Leverkusen than with us so I dont think he'd like to join.

Yeah but I assume they want to leave a certain amount in the bank to maintain their fiscal health. So they could just sell so that their net spend stays within budget if you get me.

---------- Post added at 06:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:43 PM ----------

He wasn't booked..

they are actually suprisingly healthy but i see what you mean, i'd sell anyway to prevent a bloated squad

Yes he may of been but rules are rules. It's like Enzo Zidane headbutting an opponent in memory of his father. Unlikely as that is and how out of context it is, it's still against the rules.

Same old Arsenal. I think they have to invest.... possibly Gary Cahill?? and they should have signed Mark Schwarzer at the start of the season

Thing is, under Wenger, Arsenal have NEVER been outside the top 4 since the 96-97 season, which to be honest (and going by the strength of the Premiership in the past along with the quality of opposing managers) is totally remarkable to me-and not by spending that much money.
But as I said on another thread, they lack the mental quality of the Sol Campbells, the Keowns, Vieras. They always had the mental ability, the strength, and the drive to try to go out and never lose sight of what they wanted. Wether or not its down to bad man-management, I don't know. But in the past, they always had players like that, players like Ian Wright, who would always spur the team on, and through steely grit and determination, go to play and win. But for some reason, they just cannot seem to get that balance between flair and strength and mental ability right. They need a NATURAL leader. It's so obvious, that some of the players are mentally burnt out, and just can't hack it in high pressure games. That's why I have a feeling Cahill will be wearing an Arsenal shirt next season. Once they get a holding midfielder like Viera aswell, it will bring a lot more balance to the side. Who that'll be, remains to be seen.
So, before blaming Wenger and his transfer policy, take a look at the players. Yes Wenger has to buy, but it's not all down to him. Without him, would Arsenal have always been in the top 4 since 96-97? Highly doubt it, highly. Yes, its been a while since you've had a trophy since 2005, but to pin the blame on him totally is wrong imo. He's proven before he can get it right, and next season, he will get it right.

Last edited:
I've always had respect for Arsenal - well ever since Thomas's last minute heart-breaker scored at Anfield in THAT game. I've always been envious of the football they've played under M. Wenger - it's ****** hard to play lovely football AND win the Premiership, but he managed to do that until fairly recently ( in Liverpool terms, that IS fairly recent history ). I'm not an expert on Arsenal's finances but didn't the move to the Emirates reduce his spending power for a while ? Wasn't he forced to rely on his excellent crop of young players coming through the academy ? Perhaps he's now convinced himself that he is some sort of footballing Svengali who can fashion young stars almost at will & that paying big money for outside talent is beneath him ? I'm not saying he's a suitable case for treatment or anything but maybe he's handicapped by his own stubbornness ? The game of football is constantly evolving - perhaps he should too ?

Having said all that, I wish he'd joined us instead of the Gooners !

Back