Capello to Quit After Euro 2012

• Thread starter Thread starter Calum
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 103
  • Views Views 5K
Shearer and Keegan ;) But more seriously, there isn't a candidate other than Pearce imo. The FA had already confirmed an English manager next, and he's being trained for the role and will have had involvement with the national team and the U21s for over 5 years come Euro 2012.

I'd like Pearce to get the job, 'Arry's a great manager and all, but his shady background and Madsheep's quote about "tactics not being important" makes me a little bit worried..

I would go for Stuart Pearce or Harry Redknapp but seriously truth be told,as capable *** these 2 may be,there are better managers around who are not English

Be interesting to see which Englishmen will be in the limelight when this comes around.

I would like Ian Holloway as manager. Not for the results but for the comedy.... :P

In all seriousness how about Stuart Pearce ?

Why not Wenger...shame it is near impossible he will manage England

Not Pearce. Please.

I don't really care otherwise...

How might this affect England's Euro 2012 performances, knowing Capello will quit straight afterwards?

Im surprised no one has mentioned ROY HODGSON, didnt he once say he wanted to manage england?

I'd love Wenger to be the England manager. He'd get us playing great football and would give the youth a fair chance.

I doubt he'd take it though, purely due to his age. He's not much of a journeyman; his teams are a long-term commitment.

Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp says it would be "hard to turn down" the England job should he be approached to replace manager Fabio Capello.

Capello confirmed he will quit after Euro 2012 and Redknapp is favourite to succeed the Italian, with Blackburn's Sam Allardyce another likely candidate.
"If you're an Englishman it would be hard to turn it down. It's the pinnacle of your career," said Redknapp.
"If you've got good players, managing England wouldn't be that difficult."
The 63-year-old Spurs boss added: "And we've got good players, so I'm sure somebody out there could do it."
However, he stressed: "Honestly, it's not something I sit at home and ever think about. I really don't.
"2012? I look at my life and I worry about next week, to be honest."
o.gif

Redknapp was backed as a future England manager by West Brom boss Roberto di Matteo, who described him as "the obvious successor" to Capello.
"Harry is a great guy, a great manager, a football guy," said Di Matteo, whose team face Tottenham in the Premier League on Saturday.
"He has done a terrific job at Spurs and is very likeable."
Redknapp insisted that any replacement for 64-year-old Capello, who earns £6m a year to manage the national side, must be English.
"Why do the English lads waste their time doing their coaching badges and all the rest of the work if they're never going to get the chance to manage at the top level?," asked Redknapp.
"I want to see an Englishman get the job - whoever it may be - and there are lots of lads out there who could do that job, I'm sure."
Redknapp has steered Tottenham to the Champions League group stage for the first time this season, having joined the White Hart Lane outfit from Portsmouth in October 2008 when the north Londoners were bottom of the Premier League table with only two points.
He also hit out at the lack of opportunities available to English coaches.
"There are people out there in the lower divisions who could do my job, without a doubt," he stated.
o.gif

I want to see an Englishman get the job - whoever it may be
Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp
"John Still at Dagenham and Redbridge could do my job. He understands the game, fantastic on the game. Never gets a chance to manage in the Premier League."
Blackburn manager Allardyce, who was interviewed for the England role after Sven-Goran Eriksson's departure in 2006 but overlooked in favour of Steve McClaren, said it was "too soon" to be thinking about applying again.
"I don't think past one week, and if I get past one month then I'm very, very lucky," Allardyce reflected.
The 55-year-old added to Redknapp's calls for Capello to be replaced by an English coach.
"I'd always like to see an Englishman succeed but the politics that are behind it is very, very difficult to overcome sometimes because it depends where you are and what you're doing at that particular time if you're English," continued Allardyce.
Capello succeeded McClaren in 2007 but was heavily criticised for the national team's disappointing performance at the 2010 World Cup finals in South Africa.
However, England are joint top of Group G after two Euro 2012 qualifying wins.

Last edited:
I would love Harry Redknapp but being a Spurs supporter I want him to stay with us, personally I think Stuart Pearce would be great. :)

i reckon it'll either be Pearce, Redknapp or Hodgson, but i reckon there are other managers who are of different nationalities who are better for the job, Wenger wouldnt be a bad choice, Maradona would be interesting but i dont think he did well tactically in the world cup, was hid behind the stars in his team, but thats my opinion, but i reckon who ever takes the job won't achieve anything special.

Paul Scholes if he's retired from Man Utd by then,
If not, Steve Bruce.

Paul Scholes if he's retired from Man Utd by then,
If not, Steve Bruce.

Well, maybe if Scholes is an immense manager. Not all good players are good managers, doubt he'll have any real experience by then, so its unlikely.

I see Quieroz is available.

Here's a question who wants this job? Redknapp is one, does Pearce want it or anyone else mentioned so far? It's probably the most demanding national gig going around - more than Italy, Argentina, Brazil or any of the other traditional football superpowers. Mclaren had a disaster of a time and had to go coach overseas to rebuild his reputation (which he's now proceeding to rip to shreds again at Wolfsburg). It's a potential career killer. Nearly everyone in recent memory after this gig has fallen off the face of the earth in management either by choice or by force.

Back