Capello to Quit After Euro 2012

• Thread starter Thread starter Calum
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 103
  • Views Views 5K
I couldnt stand pearce as england manager, an average manager with an average record. How does being english make him a suitable person ffs. We should go for the best man for the job, not the best nationality. I would honestly like to see Mark Hughes have a couple of great years at fulham, then take the job, So what he is welsh and been wales manager. He Was a success at Wales, a Success at Blackburn, a modest Success at city really( a lot better then Pearce) and hopefully will be good for Fulham. He knows international football well, i think because of who he is, he will get respect from the players. So why not?

I think Mark Hughes would be a could choice after he has a few seasons at fulham .
Maybe even Ian Holloway

Harry Redknapp. I reckon he is cut out for the job. It would probably be a note to retire on aswell. :)

I couldnt stand pearce as england manager, an average manager with an average record. How does being english make him a suitable person ffs. We should go for the best man for the job, not the best nationality. I would honestly like to see Mark Hughes have a couple of great years at fulham, then take the job, So what he is welsh and been wales manager. He Was a success at Wales, a Success at Blackburn, a modest Success at city really( a lot better then Pearce) and hopefully will be good for Fulham. He knows international football well, i think because of who he is, he will get respect from the players. So why not?

Because Pearce has no international experience, especially not with England, and a lot of the players who will hopefully be playing in 2012 from the U21s. Mark Hughes is a very good manager, no doubt, but i think he's only really successful when there's not a lot of pressure on him, Blackburn didn't have especially high expectations, nro with Wales, and probably the same with Fulham considering they don't have much money to spend. It's not because he's welsh that i don't want him, its because he hasn't been successful with a big(ish) club, maybe if he does well at Fulham, i would accept him, Woy Hodgson also needs to show he can do it at a top club (no offence Fulham fans), although Liverpool aren't as good as they have been, they're still a big club. To be honest, none of them are perfect, (who is?) but i do think that having an English manager is important for squad harmony and communication..

Because Pearce has no international experience, especially not with England, and a lot of the players who will hopefully be playing in 2012 from the U21s. Mark Hughes is a very good manager, no doubt, but i think he's only really successful when there's not a lot of pressure on him, Blackburn didn't have especially high expectations, nro with Wales, and probably the same with Fulham considering they don't have much money to spend. It's not because he's welsh that i don't want him, its because he hasn't been successful with a big(ish) club, maybe if he does well at Fulham, i would accept him, Woy Hodgson also needs to show he can do it at a top club (no offence Fulham fans), although Liverpool aren't as good as they have been, they're still a big club. To be honest, none of them are perfect, (who is?) but i do think that having an English manager is important for squad harmony and communication..

but pearce has done nothing on any note in his managerial career, he been relegated with forest, sacked by city and been u21 boss and been part of the 2010 world cup set up.

I think there is a pressure it any job, whether Blackburn have money to spend, he was always under immense pressure at city, he wasnt that bad, and most people where suprised at his sacking

Last edited:
but pearce has done nothing on any note in his managerial career, he been relegated with forest, sacked by city and been u21 boss and been part of the 2010 world cup set up. I think there is a pressure it any job, whether Blackburn have money to spend, he always has immense pressure at city, he wasnt that bad, and most people where suprised at his sacking

I'm a little confused Scott - you didn't really break that up enough for me to understand :S.

Evidently i stand pretty well corrected on Pearce, i thought he'd done quite well, he certainly has with the U21s and Capello has groomed him to take over when he leaves (a little like Blair and Brown - hopefully not as bad!) and he knows a lot of those players. Its true that Mark Hughes didn't do too badly at City, but i just think in general we need to give managers more time to prove their worth.

I'm a little confused Scott - you didn't really break that up enough for me to understand :S.

Evidently i stand pretty well corrected on Pearce, i thought he'd done quite well, he certainly has with the U21s and Capello has groomed him to take over when he leaves (a little like Blair and Brown - hopefully not as bad!) and he knows a lot of those players. Its true that Mark Hughes didn't do too badly at City, but i just think in general we need to give managers more time to prove their worth.

I am all for giving managers more time to prove themselves, but it must be the right man we are giving more time.

England Manager is the biggest job in the country and you are always under the spotlight, so i dont think we can give it to someone on the basis, that they are the current assistant so they can just stand up, especially when this regime is slated by so many. It is like Blair and Brown, Labour went from a political force to a laughing stock.

Pearce was player/manager with Forest and it was his first job as a manager. He was only the caretaker, too. Hughes only did better that Pearce at City too because Hughes had a much better squad, so I don't know how you can compare the two managers time at City.

Pearce has some form of international experience with the U21s too, and some of them may be making the step up to professional level soon. Nobody knows these players better than Pearce.

Pearce was player/manager with Forest and it was his first job as a manager. He was only the caretaker, too. Hughes only did better that Pearce at City too because Hughes had a much better squad, so I don't know how you can compare the two managers time at City.

Pearce has some form of international experience with the U21s too, and some of them may be making the step up to professional level soon. Nobody knows these players better than Pearce.

I am not disagreeing with that, but still i dont think he "knows the players" or "he was there u21 manager" is a good enough reason to be full england manager, Hughes was a success at international manager and knows how it works.

I am not disagreeing with that, but still i dont think he "knows the players" or "he was there u21 manager" is a good enough reason to be full england manager, Hughes was a success at international manager and knows how it works.

I wouldn't say that failing to qualify for Euro 2004 is a success.

Stuart Pearce should be the only one in contention for the job. Its the same when Andy Roxborough took over the Scottish National team. He was their technichal director since 1975 before he took over the job and was the ideal man at the time. He had no previous managerial experience prior to him taking the job and still had relative success with an ageing squad.

Ok you could say that Scotland is completely different to Englad as we have higher expectaions. This is where I think Pearce would be the most suitable candidate as he has had the experience of managing and has the experience of being part of the FA set up.

Its hard enough to choose an English manager as it is when there is probably about three names that are English when most of the top clubs go for a foreign lead. If people are against Pearce and about what he has achieved in the game then what have most of the others in contention won in way of honours. Not much.

I wouldn't say that failing to qualify for Euro 2004 is a success.

Come on he was Wales ffs. They had for there standards a very good campaign. Your statement there is stupid tbh. it is like saying everton didnt have a successful cup campaign losing to chelsea in the final or when Cardiff lost to Pompey. When them clubs wherent exactly expected to get that far.

---------- Post added at 11:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:34 AM ----------

Stuart Pearce should be the only one in contention for the job. Its the same when Andy Roxborough took over the Scottish National team. He was their technichal director since 1975 before he took over the job and was the ideal man at the time. He had no previous managerial experience prior to him taking the job and still had relative success with an ageing squad.

I think Pearce should manager england in the future, but no after Capello. It would be another Sven and Maclaren situation. Maclaren wasnt ready at the time, and became a laughing stock. it was 10 years to soon for Steve, do we really want the same situation with Pearce.

Can see what you mean Scott but whoever takes it over is in for a rough ride regardless. Cap has just had the worst time of it and survived by the skin of his teeth and he has a good record at club level. A majority of English fans still have a mentality that we should be ruling the football world on the National level but cant get their heads around that we just are not good enough. Even if Redknapp, Allardyce or even Hodgson or a manager with a good domestic level get the job I cant see them improving at the level we currently are so Pearce might as well be given it.

Can see what you mean Scott but whoever takes it over is in for a rough ride regardless. Cap has just had the worst time of it and survived by the skin of his teeth and he has a good record at club level. A majority of English fans still have a mentality that we should be ruling the football world on the National level but cant get their heads around that we just are not good enough. Even if Redknapp, Allardyce or even Hodgson or a manager with a good domestic level get the job I cant see them improving at the level we currently are so Pearce might as well be given it.

I see that, but it sends out the wrong message if we give it to someone who has had little success, basically we are resigning ourseleves qualifying then going out to anyone major in any championship with Pearce, we need a manager who has been successful with smaller clubs/ Nations against bigger clubs/ nations, someone who has earned the right through success not just nationility.

So for me, Hughes is the main option.

how would you all feel if david beckham was handed the job? i tihnk he be a great manager if he was to take on the england job he has a lot of respect from the other players and managers around the world i know he has had no manager Experience but i tihnk he could be the best manager for england.

how would you all feel if david beckham was handed the job? i tihnk he be a great manager if he was to take on the england job he has a lot of respect from the other players and managers around the world i know he has had no manager Experience but i tihnk he could be the best manager for england.

We would be ****** with Beckham in charge, the media would have a field day.

Don't think it's that much of a stupid statement mate, I can see where you're coming from and all but the fact of the matter is, he had no success with Wales apart from the win over Italy, and getting to the play offs. That's it. Pearce has taken the U21s from not reaching a semi final of a major tournament since 1988, and Platt didn't do too well with them.

Pearce however, has taken his team to at least the semi final in the 2 tournaments he has competed in.

Don't think it's that much of a stupid statement mate, I can see where you're coming from and all but the fact of the matter is, he had no success with Wales apart from the win over Italy, and getting to the play offs. That's it. Pearce has taken the U21s from not reaching a semi final of a major tournament since 1988, and Platt didn't do too well with them.

Pearce however, has taken his team to at least the semi final in the 2 tournaments he has competed in.

So, with that squad so he should as well. He hasnt earned the right to manage england, it will be another Wolly in the brolly situation. Too much too soon.

So, with that squad so he should as well. He hasnt earned the right to manage england, it will be another Wolly in the brolly situation. Too much too soon.

Hasn't earned the right? How?

Back