Capello to Quit After Euro 2012

• Thread starter Thread starter Calum
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 103
  • Views Views 5K
Hasn't earned the right? How?

as his managerial record is less then impressive.

He done okay with the kids sides, but failed with city and forest. Surely to be england Manager, you should at least of had some sort of success at club level.

He done okay with the kids sides, but failed with city and forest. Surely to be england Manager, you should at least of had some sort of success at club level.
not at all, i think that club success can sometimes be irrelvant, especially if you are looking to build for the future. look at loew and klinnsman for germany. there is an inherent understand between players and manager becuase they have worked together for so long. if you are looking for someone to do a 2 year sting then yes, club experience is important, but if we are looking a along term job (which we really should be imo, there is a lot to be fixed before we can be anywhere near they very very best) then you want pearce hands down

If you look at past appointments at national level e.g Van Basten, Klinsmann, Maradona none of them had success at club level yet were made national coaches and all of them got their respective nations to major tournaments.

not at all, i think that club success can sometimes be irrelvant, especially if you are looking to build for the future. look at loew and klinnsman for germany. there is an inherent understand between players and manager becuase they have worked together for so long. if you are looking for someone to do a 2 year sting then yes, club experience is important, but if we are looking a along term job (which we really should be imo, there is a lot to be fixed before we can be anywhere near they very very best) then you want pearce hands down

But Pearce doesnt deserve the job, you can use Loew and Klinnsman as an example. I could use Sven and Maclaren. It worked for the Germans because they have a world class squad, we simply do not.

If you look at past appointments at national level e.g Van Basten, Klinsmann, Maradona none of them had success at club level yet were made national coaches and all of them got their respective nations to major tournaments.

Look what happened to all of them though, they got to a major tourny then where sacked after it. Maradonna didnt stay long, and his regime was a complete failure really. he nearly did the impossible by having a team full of Messi, Tevez, Aguero and Mascherano and not qualifying.

But Pearce doesnt deserve the job, you can use Loew and Klinnsman as an example. I could use Sven and Maclaren. It worked for the Germans because they have a world class squad, we simply do not.

Look what happened to all of them though, they got to a major tourny then where sacked after it. Maradonna didnt stay long, and his regime was a complete failure really. he nearly did the impossible by having a team full of Messi, Tevez, Aguero and Mascherano and not qualifying.

If I'm not wrong, Loew was assistant then became manager, was it the case with Sven and steve mcclaren? I dont know much, just making sure.

He was caretaker at Forest, and it was his first job too. Was also still playing at the time. He had an ok first season with City cos they nearly qualified for the UEFA cup, his next two weren't so good but he managed to keep them up before he got the sack.

I will defend Pearce forever because he is a Forest legend haha, I think he deserves a go at England manager.

what do you mean he doesnt deserve the job? it sounds like youve written off peacre and wont accept any argument to the contrary

the german squad 2004 was a wreck, and Klinnsman and Loew rebuilt it into a world cup side. who says that pearce cant do the same,since he knows and understands the strengths and weaknesses of those who will form our side in 4 years

Last edited:
My point was Scott, those I mentioned had no prior experience and yet they still got to the major tournaments. Managing at club level is entirely different to managing a nation. Cap has one of the best club records yet he is finding it hard at national level. It takes a different mentality to manage a nation than a club. You are saying it should be someone that has had some record at managing club level then there are more qualified people than Mark Hughes but it does not work that way. If England are looking to build long term then someone like Pearce is ideal.

If I'm not wrong, Loew was assistant then became manager, was it the case with Sven and steve mcclaren? I dont know much, just making sure.

It was the case.

what do you mean he doesnt deserve the job? it sounds like youve written off peacre and wont accept any argument to the contrary

the german squad 2004 was a wreck, and Klinnsman and Loew rebuilt it into a world cup side. who says that pearce cant do the same,since he knows and understands the strengths and weaknesses of those who will form our side in 4 years

So on your basis he deserves the job because it worked on a one off with Germany. We arent the Germans, Capello isnt Klinnsman and Pearce aint Loew. You cant give someone a job on the basis a similar situation worked once, he hasnt been a big enough success to be England manager, Unless he gets a club job and be successful for the nexr 20 months, for him to be considered is stupid.

It was the case.

So on your basis he deserves the job because it worked on a one off with Germany. We arent the Germans, Capello isnt Klinnsman and Pearce aint Loew. You cant give someone a job on the basis a similar situation worked once, he hasnt been a big enough success to be England manager, Unless he gets a club job and be successful for the nexr 20 months, for him to be considered is stupid.
no im saying pearce has been sucessful with the under 21s, he knows the under 21s inside out, he has been in the england set up for a long time. when you are bringing players through to the side seniors side he can build an style into england from the ground up, make a genuinely strong foundation

club experience isnt the name as national team experience. if you want some for 2 years you get someone like ancellotti. if you want a long term project you want someone who knows the side and can mould team. you certainly dont want mark hughes.

we re just going round in circles, i think between me, j gibbard, and Ianc we've shown why he could makea good england manager, certainly if we are aiming for some to be there a long time.

The advantage of U 18s,U21s manager becoming manager is all there to see with Barcelona. Pep knows inside out of youth players as he was the manager of Barca B and the amount of players he is promoting is unreal. Might work with England as Pearce knows youngsters better than many.

My point was Scott, those I mentioned had no prior experience and yet they still got to the major tournaments. Managing at club level is entirely different to managing a nation. Cap has one of the best club records yet he is finding it hard at national level. It takes a different mentality to manage a nation than a club. You are saying it should be someone that has had some record at managing club level then there are more qualified people than Mark Hughes but it does not work that way. If England are looking to build long term then someone like Pearce is ideal.

Cap has got as good as record with England as any of them you named. I Bet percentage of wins in competitive games is very similar if not cap is better, I dont go looking for stats on the net, I just reckon it is. Hughes has got time on his hands, He has managed at club and international to good results, and managed top starts aswell.

no im saying pearce has been sucessful with the under 21s, he knows the under 21s inside out, he has been in the england set up for a long time. when you are bringing players through to the side seniors side he can build an style into england from the ground up, make a genuinely strong foundation

club experience isnt the name as national team experience. if you want some for 2 years you get someone like ancellotti. if you want a long term project you want someone who knows the side and can mould team. you certainly dont want mark hughes.

we re just going round in circles, i think between me, j gibbard, and Ianc we've shown why he could makea good england manager, certainly if we are aiming for some to be there a long time.

Hughes isnt 60+ he has plenty of time. he moulded blackburn into a good sided, his side. A good number 2 doesnt mean your a good number one. Gibb has admitted he loves pearce, and your reasons are just he "knows the players"

The advantage of U 18s,U21s manager becoming manager is all there to see with Barcelona. Pep knows inside out of youth players as he was the manager of Barca B and the amount of players he is promoting is unreal. Might work with England as Pearce knows youngsters better than many.

with that barca team, i would of won trophies. so would of most managers, bara youth coach or not.

He also loves England and will be passionate about the job.The man is an England legend. He will get respect from the fans and more importantly, he will get respect from the players. He isn't nicknamed 'Psycho' for nothing. The players will listen to him.

He also loves England and will be passionate about the job.The man is an England legend. He will get respect from the fans and more importantly, he will get respect from the players. He isn't nicknamed 'Psycho' for nothing. The players will listen to him.
his side already play some good football. and at international level "knowing" is very important because you get nowhere near the amount of time you do with club level, from what ive seen of them they shape up fairly well tactically too

I love the country with a passion, I am called crazy by the guys i coach for cricket, doesnt mean i make a good international manager for england. The Fans, players and Media wont give too **** about him if we start to lose. Fabio is a bigger name in football then Pearce, yet we have players retiring, fans booing and the media slaughtering him.

his side already play some good football. and at international level "knowing" is very important because you get nowhere near the amount of time you do with club level, from what ive seen of them they shape up fairly well tactically too

Hughes again knows international football well. With pearce being an number 2 is a lot different to being a number one at any level. His name can only take him so far.

I love the country with a passion, I am called crazy by the guys i coach for cricket, doesnt mean i make a good international manager for england. The Fans, players and Media wont give too **** about him if we start to lose. Fabio is a bigger name in football then Pearce, yet we have players retiring, fans booing and the media slaughtering him.

Hughes again knows international football well. With pearce being an number 2 is a lot different to being a number one at any level. His name can only take him so far.
For the record Pearce isn't the number 2, Baldini is. Pearce is just a coach for England.

Its nothing to do with his name. Im talking about his abilities as England under 21 manager. international management requires an innate understanding of the players, a good motivational bond and tactical nous, which he has shown with the under 21s.

both Hughes and Pearce have shown they have the last two at international level, but Pearce has a big edge on him on the players,haiving been under 21 manager for almost 4 years, something that is incredibly important. I never said Pearce will make a good manager, since i cant see into the future, but he could be, he has the qualities to be one.

A an aside, you keep saying a number 2 doesn't always mean a good number 1. the same can be said conversely, a good number 2 wont always be a bad number 1.

Besides Hughes isn't going to get the job. Whether you agree with it or not, the FA have decided on an English manager after Capello.

For the record Pearce isn't the number 2, Baldini is. Pearce is just a coach for England.

Its nothing to do with his name. Im talking about his abilities as England under 21 manager. international management requires an innate understanding of the players, a good motivational bond and tactical nous, which he has shown with the under 21s.

both Hughes and Pearce have shown they have the last two at international level, but Pearce has a big edge on him on the players,haiving been under 21 manager for almost 4 years, something that is incredibly important. I never said Pearce will make a good manager, since i cant see into the future, but he could be, he has the qualities to be one.

A an aside, you keep saying a number 2 doesn't always mean a good number 1. the same can be said conversely, a good number 2 wont always be a bad number 1.

Besides Hughes isn't going to get the job. Whether you agree with it or not, the FA have decided on an English manager after Capello.

There said they would like an english manager, but will we who is available at the time. Sir Trevor Brooking Speaking
“Stuart knows he is not the automatic person,” Brooking told the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast.
“He came out of club management and he’s done really well with the under-21s but some would say he needs to go back to club management. Let's see what happens in the next couple of seasons.
“We've indicated that we'd like to go English but it's who is available at the time. Everyone’s thrown people into the hat but [we need to see] where they are with their clubs at the time."

To Me that backs up what i have said, he needs some club football experience. Simply being u21 manager, isnt good enough for the biggest job in the country. Rather see Maclaren back in 2 years then pearce.

fabio dont give a **** about the england team his just in it for the MONEY lol

fabio dont give a **** about the england team his just in it for the MONEY lol

Didn't you work that out when he originally took the job?! Italian managing the English national team, it's not like he did it because of his love for England is it?

Back