Chelsea vs Manchester United - 1/4 Final UCL - 6/4/11

Status
Not open for further replies.
So gutted.. not going to the match anymore!

Oh well.. ITV1 it is!

My auntie works for UEFA and put in a ticket request, but they are too in demand so she can't get them for me.

She's going to try and get me tickets to the final instead, because she's working on it personally :D

When the draw came out i believed Chelsea fans were more happy with the draw than Utd fans and rightfully so. Although Luiz has been immense their has been times where he has been slopy and one of them times was for Rooney's goal int he PL fixture a few weeks ago. For me he should have got alot tighter to Rooney and gave him way too much space although it was an excellent strike and Luiz made up for it later on. Chelsea will play Ivanovic alongside Terry and Bosingwa at fullback as Alex is still recovering but will be back in the squad in a week or so which will be huge going into the 2nd leg. At home i feel we will edge the game winning 1-0 and yes you guessed it im predicting Torres to bag his first goal in blue. Saw a stat today that Torres has scored in all 3 of his CL ties vs English sides and he normally plays well against Utd too so i think that will stand him in good sted.

I will leave my 2nd leg opinions when the game nears.

UTC!!!!!

TBH, i dont think any United fan was worried too muich about the draw. Many of the United fans i know wanted Barca, but were happy with the draw as the team wont be exhausted travlleing for away games.

And Atkinson wont be the ref ;) Hope we ger Overbo for the return leg :p

And also you said in some post that all united players knwe that was a penalty (Zhirkov-Smalling incident) but this is what Smalling said:

Smalling said: "I still don't think it was a penalty and that I was hard done by."

Last edited:
TBH, i dont think any United fan was worried too muich about the draw. Many of the United fans i know wanted Barca, but were happy with the draw as the team wont be exhausted travlleing for away games.

And Atkinson wont be the ref ;) Hope we ger Overbo for the return leg :p

And also you said in some post that all united players knwe that was a penalty (Zhirkov-Smalling incident) but this is what Smalling said:

Smalling said: "I still don't think it was a penalty and that I was hard done by."

To be fair he has only just come out and said that. During the game he didnt appeal at all and honestly if the shoe was on the other foot i would have accepted it was a soft penalty but never mind it was still a penalty.

actually really looking forward to this game now. i believe the fact that Luiz is unavailable to play is a big plus for United as he has had a great start to life in England. as i said yesterday, a score draw would be great for United but i wouldn't be to disheartened with a 2-1 defeat, as long as we take an away goal back to Old Trafford where i see us winning the game, all is good.

I'm really sorry, but I'm one step ahead here. Seeing as bragging was brought up, I have tickets for the 2nd leg, by hook, crook and lots of connections. I'm going to be close enough to hear Rooney Swear at me, and check out where I will be staying: Manchester Airport Hilton Hotel in Ringway, England , and before anyone brings it up - yes, my head is swelling even as we speak, it's the ultimate theater of dreams experience I could have ever asked for.

Rio Ferdinand and Rafael have both trained today ahead of the tie tomorrow, sparking speculation that both could take part.

Rio Ferdinand and Rafael have both trained today ahead of the tie tomorrow, sparking speculation that both could take part.

I was never in dout in the first place.

Think we will change back to 4-3-3 for this one, rather than the 4-2-2 which we won with last month. We got overran in the first half down the left flank with Evra bombing forward past Nani cutting inside. I think this being the first leg Carlo will go more defensive and go for the 4-3-3 which will give us more cover in the midfield. Also Rooney was a big problem dropping in the whole behind the striker all game, so a DM will be put there to cover the space. Have a feeling Mikel will be in a midfield three with Lampard and Ramires, with Essien going to RB. Yes, RB. Bosingwa isn't the best defensively so I can see him missing out, Essien has played RB before and was really good both defensively and going forward when needed.

Cech
Essien - Ivanovic - Terry - Cole
Mikel
Ramires - Lampard
Anelka - Torres - Malouda

Think possibly a 0-0 draw in the first leg, then anyones game in the second. Really too hard to call.

I think we will be a typical United formation against top opposition tomorrow night. 4-5-1. I believe Sir Alex will try and compact the midfield of the park and try to stop the influence the likes of Lampard, Essien etc can have on the game. Despite Rio training again, this game has came too early for him although I would expect him to be on the bench just incase. Like Rio, Rafeal has been training this morning but again I believe this match has come too soon for the young brazilian so I expect Fabio who had a brilliant game I though on Saturday to retain his place in the starting line up. Wayne Rooney has been in fantastic form of late and scored the last time the two teams met at the Bridge a few weeks back, will lead the line like he did on Saturday at Upton Park. Hernandez and Berbatov again will be on the bench and will come on if needed like Saturday. Elsewhere I fully expect to see Van der Sar back between the sticks and Nani also to come back in to the starting 11 in place of Darron Gibson.

4-5-1

Van der Sar
Fabio-Smalling-Vidic-Evra
Nani-Carrick-Giggs-Park-Valencia
Rooney

I believe the 5 man midfield, if of course we set out like this would make it very difficult for Chelsea to play through the midfield. The experience of Ryan Giggs who can and has played in the middle of the park will be key with Park Ji-Sung being his normal, tireless self whilst the form of Nani and the recent come back of Valencia will have to get forward and provide plenty of service for Rooney.

As you can see I have retained Chris Smalling at the back along with Nemanja Vidic. Despite Rio back in training which is brilliant news, I wouldn't want to throw him in to a game of this importance. The form of Smalling has really impressed me this season and he seems to grow as a player with each game he plays.

My final prediction for the game is 1-1. Wayne Rooney will give United a first half lead with Chelsea's Frank Lampard grapping the equaliser during the second half.

Ferguson just revealed in his press conference that Rafael and Ferdinand have been training for over a week, so both will probably start.

Cant see Carlo changing the formation this far into the season so will go with a 4-4-2 again. My prediction on the Chelsea line-up.
Cech
Bosingwa
Terry
Ivanovic
Cole
Essien
Ramires
Lampard
Malouda
Drogba
Torres

Say if Chelsea win this game tomorrow night but concede an away goal and the score ends say something like 2-1 does anyone think Chelsea will go pretty defensive in the second leg?

Say if Chelsea win this game tomorrow night but concede an away goal and the score ends say something like 2-1 does anyone think Chelsea will go pretty defensive in the second leg?

I think we will let Utd have the ball like we do against Arsenal and then hit them on the counter.

Honestly, no. I don't see it happening because it's not in Chelsea's repatoir (sp).

Honestly, no. I don't see it happening because it's not in Chelsea's repatoir (sp).

That is true and tbh it is always dangerous letting Utd have most of the ball attacking constantly because with their talent they will usually end up punishing you.

Ferguson just revealed in his press conference that Rafael and Ferdinand have been training for over a week, so both will probably start.

in that case then, replace Fabio with Rafeal. I'd still start with Smalling and Vidic though as they have been playing together over recent months and have formed a decent partnership.

2-0 Chelsea, Lampard and Torres (I going to keep saying him intill he does score!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.