Chelsea vs Manchester United - 1/4 Final UCL - 6/4/11

Status
Not open for further replies.
My grammer has always been poor, im from Portsmouth. I agree last season i said i wouldnt swap any left sided player in the world for Malouda with the form he was on (Messi plays on the right other wise it would be a no brainer). But i have to take into account his Chelsea career on a whole, yes he was sensational last season but that has been it. He cant make a 5 yard pass without giving it away and he just runs into trouble time and time again.

I've never really liked Malouda, and it took him a while to settle at Chelsea, but he was brilliant last season and the start of this. It seemed that his form dipped when you had that terrible run, and he hasn't found any since. The same can be said of a number of Chelsea players though. Given his age though, and a number of your players, some serious decisions have to be made about their futures at the club. I' personally offload Malouda and Anelka, and I think Drogba will leave anyway. Lampard can still cover the ground well and is a club legend - he still has a few good years left in him, although he may have to adapt his role as Scholes has done

Really? Strongest defence in the league, bought some decent young players in Luiz , Ramires and Torres (he just needs a better system and link player). I think they need to offload a few players (maybe Drogba, Anelka, Kalou) and buy a creative player. Get Sturridge playing regularly too.

Essien hasn't seemed the driving force that he once was, possibly down to the formation and his role in Ancelotti's tactics. The squad just lacks creativity, which begs the question; why didn't Benayoun come on today?

I'd suggest buying a right winger and creative midfielder (someone like Nuri Sahin)

I agree with you about Chelsea lacking a creative influence. I wouldn't describe any of front 6 that played tonight as particularly creative. I think we all know that Torres should eventually get back into form, and when he does he will be lethal if given the right service.

I also think you have a point about Benayoun. Presumably he didn't come on because he isn't fully fit. Then again it seems strange that he would be on the bench if this were the case. But he knows Torres from his Liverpool days, knows the sort of movement and supply that Torres likes, and has the flair to produce something with a pass or dribble. Something Lampard and Essien cannot do.

As if to prove it, Ryan Giggs claimed 3 assists in the 2 legs. Just goes to show that even though across the piece the two were fairly evenly matched, a creative player is the difference.

In my opinion, the 4-3-3 is the right formation for Chelsea, it suits the team they have. I honestly don't think they need to change much in the summer. If they bring in some younger players, and a quality creative link player, they can challenge next season. I'm not sure Drogba will be around to see it though.

Does anyone know if Carlo gave a conference and if so, what did he say?

Don't listen to ajt09.

What he actually did, was run up to the conference table, jumped up onto it, and shouted "F*%$ing what?!?...What?!?...F*%$ing ****!".

He the proceeded to strip to the tune of 'I need a doctor' by Dr Dre.

Don't listen to ajt09.

What he actually did, was run up to the conference table, jumped up onto it, and shouted "F*%$ing what?!?...What?!?...F*%$ing ****!".

He the proceeded to strip to the tune of 'I need a doctor' by Dr Dre.

way to build it up, quite disappointed it didnt happen now

Still, ever gracious in defeat, quickly deflected the question whether Drogba should have started though

I've never really liked Malouda, and it took him a while to settle at Chelsea, but he was brilliant last season and the start of this. It seemed that his form dipped when you had that terrible run, and he hasn't found any since. The same can be said of a number of Chelsea players though. Given his age though, and a number of your players, some serious decisions have to be made about their futures at the club. I' personally offload Malouda and Anelka, and I think Drogba will leave anyway. Lampard can still cover the ground well and is a club legend - he still has a few good years left in him, although he may have to adapt his role as Scholes has done

Yer i think Lampard is the only dead cert of the players you mentioned that will be here next season. Im still tempted to say that Drogba can recover his good form and has sufferd with illness this season. But if he stays then what does it mean for Torres. Chelsea and whoever is the manager in the summer have some big decisions to make about the club.

---------- Post added at 12:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:00 AM ----------

way to build it up, quite disappointed it didnt happen now

Still, ever gracious in defeat, quickly deflected the question whether Drogba should have started though

I think one thing we can all agree on is that Ancelotti has got to be the most gracious top flight manager around at the moment.

Yer i think Lampard is the only dead cert of the players you mentioned that will be here next season. Im still tempted to say that Drogba can recover his good form and has sufferd with illness this season. But if he stays then what does it mean for Torres. Chelsea and whoever is the manager in the summer have some big decisions to make about the club.

How many years do you think Terry will have then? He and Lampard imo are the inspiration for the team. If they were both injured, the team (imo) will be pretty screwed, and they are real tough to replace. And definately agree on Ancelotti. Absolute gent. And sadly, that could be his downfall at Chelsea

How many years do you think Terry will have then? He and Lampard imo are the inspiration for the team. If they were both injured, the team (imo) will be pretty screwed, and they are real tough to replace

I think Terry will be a Chelsea player until he is possibly 33 or even older maybe. With Luiz in the side now our defence is pretty much sorted for the next 5-8years if need be. But yer i take your point they are the inspiration but from what i know Drogba is more vocal in and around the training ground etc and even on the pitch so hes form has been a huge loss too, thats why maybe we shouldnt get rid of him just yet. Hes goal today was vintage Drogba, maybe their is life in the old Drog yet.

I think Terry will be a Chelsea player until he is possibly 33 or even older maybe. With Luiz in the side now our defence is pretty much sorted for the next 5-8years if need be. But yer i take your point they are the inspiration but from what i know Drogba is more vocal in and around the training ground etc and even on the pitch so hes form has been a huge loss too, thats why maybe we shouldnt get rid of him just yet. Hes goal today was vintage Drogba, maybe their is life in the old Drog yet.

If Drogba finishes the season this strongly, its gonna leave a real headache for Carlo come the summer

I think CJACKO must have been given sense for Christmas, no idea where it's come from! :p

i hope drogba does leave as he always ****** scores against us lol

Last edited:
Is it possible there's a possibility of a Schevchenko (pardon spelling) situation here? Ancelotti suggested he wouldn't be scared to drop him, but the board desperately want Torres to play in place of Drogba, when potentially, he's not totally adjusted yet? He has shown some of the Torres of old, but it there is a chance that Roman is desperate for Torres to show his worth too early

I personally don't think it's got much to do with Torres' form. It's the supply. Chelsea are used to sending it straight to Drogba, whereas with Torres you need the through ball. Completely different kind of supply, so it's not that strange he hasn't done well.

If Drogba finishes the season this strongly, its gonna leave a real headache for Carlo come the summer

It will indeed, Well Carlo or whoever else is in charge.

I think CJACKO must have been given sense for Christmas, no idea where it's come from! :p

Lol i have always spoken like this, but last year there wasent nothing bad to say about Chelsea because we were brilliant. If Chelsea have problems i will admit them.

Is it possible there's a possibility of a Schevchenko (pardon spelling) situation here? Ancelotti suggested he wouldn't be scared to drop him, but the board desperately want Torres to play in place of Drogba, when potentially, he's not totally adjusted yet? He has shown some of the Torres of old, but it there is a chance that Roman is desperate for Torres to show his worth too early

Well from what i know and have seen the board went to Carlo and asked him if he would like both Luiz and Torres and he said he wanted them both if possible and why wouldnt he. He has dropped Torres on quite a few occasions and i dont think Roman is as bad as people make him out to be. Everytime people question his loyalty to Chelsea he pulls somthing out the bag, i think because he is Russian and will sack managers is results are not good then people assume he picks the side.

I personally don't think it's got much to do with Torres' form. It's the supply. Chelsea are used to sending it straight to Drogba, whereas with Torres you need the through ball. Completely different kind of supply, so it's not that strange he hasn't done well.

Don't get me wrong, totally agree with the supply situation-that'll be sorted. It just may be the case in some games, that a "higher profile" player may be preferred, against Ancelotti's own opinion. Personally, I don't think Torres has been that bad tbh. Drogba showed in the second half, why he may have been a better choice as starter, then Torres later on.

@CJACKO I''ve nothing against Roman myself, after all, he's ploughed so much of his own money into the club, he deserves the success he's brought to the club. But as mentioned before many times, he should stick with Carlo, and just avoid the old knee-jerk reaction that's all, as I know he'd love nothing more than to win the Champions League, and who wouldn't? He's got the right man for the job as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:

Thats exacly what i said before the game.

Don't get me wrong, totally agree with the supply situation-that'll be sorted. It just may be the case in some games, that a "higher profile" player may be preferred, against Ancelotti's own opinion. Personally, I don't think Torres has been that bad tbh. Drogba showed in the second half, why he may have been a better choice as starter, then Torres later on

yeah have a double switch of Torres/Yossi on, that would have caused all sorts of problems

^What he said, completely. I did an article about this a while ago. In his Liverpool heyday, Torres got exactly that kind of supply and thrived on it.

Roman wants Torres to play so badly because he doesn't want to have wasted £50 million on him. It is totally different with Torres as it was actually Ancelotti's signing not Roman's, whereas Shevchenko was signed by Roman because they are good friends and it didn't have anything to do with Mourinho. I love what Abramovich has done with Chelsea but he needs to take a step back and give Ancelotti three years (at least) in charge and letting him sign the players he wants, but most importantly letting Carlo know that his job is safe.

^What he said, completely. I did an article about this a while ago. In his Liverpool heyday, Torres got exactly that kind of supply and thrived on it.

throughballs, and flashed crosses for his superior off the ball movement, gets nothing like that now, chelsea dont really have the players there

---------- Post added at 01:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:32 AM ----------

Manchester United 2-1 Chelsea: Five things we learned
Nemanja Vidic has no inferiority complex against Fernando Torres and Didier Drogba has every right to feel aggrieved

Manchester United 2-1 Chelsea: Five things we learned | Daniel Taylor | Football | The Guardian

1 Vidic does not have an inferiority complex against Torres

Perhaps it is time to consign this fallacy to the dustbin of history. Fernando Torres can certainly lay claim to having subjected Nemanja Vidic to one of the more harrowing ordeals of his time as a United player, but that 4-1 defeat at home to Liverpool was over two years ago now. It was only once, and yet the sense has developed that Vidic is almost frightened of the Spaniard. In truth, it is as much a myth as saying that Frank Lampard is fat. Torres has now gone 11 hours and 33 minutes without scoring for Chelsea since joining for £50m and, even though he lasted only the first half, he gave the impression in that time that he would not score in a month of Sundays. It is not just goals that are missing – it is the dangerous sharpness of old, the sureness of touch where it matters in the penalty area. The only thing that was missing was for Vidic to take his opponent's jersey as a souvenir, perhaps to mount on his wall like the head of some felled big game.

2 Drogba has every right to feel aggrieved

Didier Drogba's form has hardly been exhilarating this season, and nobody can say for certain that the outcome would have been different if the Ivorian striker had been chosen instead of Torres. Yet what we can be sure about is that his presence in the second half gave Chelsea a more penetrative edge and immediately posed new questions of the United defence. Carlo Ancelotti got this one badly wrong and, for the Chelsea manager, there could be serious ramifications.

3 Ferdinand – tremendous defender, average actor

For a while it looked as though Rio Ferdinand would be back in the dressing room before he had barely a scuff of mud on his shorts. He started grimacing after nine minutes and it was clear that he was struggling to continue. In the circumstances, Ferdinand did well to last the 90 minutes. He gritted his teeth, avoided eye contact with the United dugout and put on the pretence that all was OK. Afterwards Sir Alex Ferguson reported that Ferdinand had taken a bang rather than suffering a recurrence of his calf injury but here is the issue for United: can they get him fit for a decent run of games? He is a brilliantly accomplished defender but has played only 29 of their past 79 Premier League games.

4 Lampard is suffering from a severe case of sixes and sevens

He never stops, his attitude is impeccable, he always wants the ball. Yet Frank Lampard looks like a man who is discovering, a couple of months short of his 33rd birthday, that he no longer quite has the legs to be the driving, box‑to-box player of old. This is not to say he played badly. Yet the man Ferguson once described as "a freak" because of the way he never misses games has lost four months of this season to a recurring groin injury and these things can take their toll for a footballer of his years. Lampard, for now at least, has gone from being a player who was routinely marked at eight or nine out of 10 to one who has dropped to the sixes and sevens.

5 Little Pea, little fee

Javier Hernández cost United £6m when he signed from Chivas de Guadalajara. Chicharito has now scored 18 goals in 20 starts with a further 17 substitute appearances and is endearing himself to Old Trafford in a way that means Dimitar Berbatov, the Premier League's leading scorer, is left out of United's European matches as a matter of routine. In terms of value for money, Hernández already looks assured of joining Peter Schmeichel, Eric Cantona, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer et al as one of the best signings Ferguson has ever made.

Status
Not open for further replies.