Clube Atlético Mineiro- Continuing Traditions

Clube Atlético Mineiro- Transfers

View attachment 265359

This was a tough one but it had to be done. With my midfield packed, I need to offload one of them. Between Pierre, Ramires, Lucas Candido, Eduardo, Jadson and Cirigliano, it kinda hard to keep rotating them so Gremio was interested in Cirigliano. Plus to make my life harder, there a rumour that we may get another midfielder and possibly Pierre might leave the club.​

Clube Atlético Mineiro- Copa Libertadores

Club Atlético Independiente vs Clube Atlético Mineiro

View attachment 265356
View attachment 265355
View attachment 265354

So we lost our 1st game of the year and while I won't mind a lost, we put ourselves in a hole that we need to climb if we want to win this competition. Independiente played very well and hopefully our fans at home will help us win.

Juan Lucero scored in the 2nd half after an error by Felipe Santana and shot with a simple finish from close range. Facundo Pereyra double the lead with a well executed shot from range.

Next match will be a Brasileirão match against Vitoria at home.​

Clube Atlético Mineiro- Brasileirão

Clube Atlético Mineiro vs Esporte Clube Vitória

View attachment 264629
View attachment 264649
View attachment 264642

Close win but I'm satisfied with the result. I needed to rest my first 11 for the return game for Copa Libertadores. Dodo and Marion were on the goalsheet today.

Dodo started the scoring a penalty after Kanu gave away. Diego Lugano gave away a penalty to Vitoria in the 42 minute and Yuri Mamute took advantage. Marion scored the game winner with a close range shot in the 83rd minute.

Next match will be against Independiente for the 2nd leg of the Copa Libertadores Quarterfinals​

Clube Atlético Mineiro vs Club Atlético Independiente

View attachment 264551
View attachment 264550
View attachment 264549

WHAT A COMEBACK!!!! After losing 2-0 in the 1st leg, my team played with heart and hustle and we ended winning this on aggregate. After scoring 2 goals in the first 6 minutes, I knew that we could not let this slip away.

The game started with a goal in the first 40 seconds, Shermans Cardenas shot a very powerful shot that the keeper could not move. 5 minutes laters, Ramires double the lead from an accurate finish from close range after Jesus Mendez's mistake. Lucas Pratto ended the rout with a well struck shot from distance.

Next game will be a Brasileirão match against Santos.​

View attachment 264509

The draw of the Copa Libertadores Semifinals was announced and we are facing a fellow Brazilian club, Sao Paulo. São Paulo Futebol Clube is a 3 time Copa Libertadores winner and 3 time Intercontinental Cup/Club World Cup winner with both title last won in 2005. Sao Paulo was the runner-up for last year Copa Libertadores losing to Internacional. This will the 9th and 10th meeting between the two in Copa Libertadores with a record of 4-1-3 (W-L-D) against Sao Paulo. The last time we faced them was in 2013 when Atletico won 6-2 on aggregate on route to winning our first Copa Libertadores title. The 1st leg will be played on July 14th.

View attachment 264503

Here are the final 4 teams still in the competition.​

Santos Futebol Clube vs Clube Atlético Mineiro

View attachment 264489
View attachment 264488
View attachment 264487

It was a difficult game to win. Santos was very good defensively and managed to score 2 goals with the limited number of times they attacked.

Santos started the scoring in the 31st minute when Osvaldo shot with an accurate shot that also hit the post when it went in. The game was tied when Santos' Daniel Guedes clearance was unsuccessful when the ball he kicked hit Jemerson in the back and went in. Flavio gave Atletico first lead of the game when he shot in a close range. Osvaldo scored his second a couple of seconds later when he shot from close range. Felipe scored the game winner with a well placed shot.

The next game will be a Brasileirão match against newly promoted Criciuma.​

Clube Atlético Mineiro- Retirement

View attachment 264450

Lugano has decided to retire at the end of this season. I asked him reconsider for one more season to help us develop our young defenders. He told me that he may reconsider but said that most likely he will stop playing and hopefully work in a non playing role in Uruguay.​

Clube Atlético Mineiro- May Review

May Results
View attachment 264392

Great month and great start in the Brasileirão. Even though we lost our first game of the year, we still manage to win 6 of the 8 games played. The highlight of the month was the comeback win over Independiente in Copa Libertadores.

June Fixtures
View attachment 264388

Next month will be a tough month with 6 of the 7 club with former Brasileirão winners. We will have 3 straight home which I hope I can win and then 3 straight away games. Hopefully this season we can solve Internacional after losing both games last year. As you can see, we will have no Copa Libertadores matches this month as Copa America will be played in June.

Brasileirão Standing after May
View attachment 264372

So after 5 games, we are in second with 13 points. Our rivals Cruzeiro are in 1st with 14 points but has played 1 more games than us.

Awards

View attachment 264384
View attachment 264383

Both Felipe Santana and Ramires got their respective Copa Libertadores Player of the Week on May 10th and May 31st.

View attachment 264381

After the very convincing win over Flamengo, 7 Atletico Mineiro players were featured in Team of the Week on May 10.

View attachment 264380

Jemerson was featured in the Team of the Week on May 24.​

Last edited:

Criciúma Esporte Clube vs Clube Atlético Mineiro

View attachment 263983
View attachment 263982
View attachment 263981

Even though the score only says 2-0, it was a pretty easy game to win. While Victor and Lucas Pratto were away for Copa America and my backup keeper Giovanni is still out of another 5 weeks, Uilson made his Brasileirão debut today.

Jesus Datolo scored in the 22nd minute after a tidy finish from 13 metres. Ramires double the lead in the 71st minute from a close range shot.

Next game will be a Brasileirão match against Gremio at home.​

Clube Atlético Mineiro vs Grêmio Foot-Ball Porto Alegrense

View attachment 263977
View attachment 263976
View attachment 263975

This game was amazing, it was 5-0 before the 40th minute and I couldn't be happier. Flavio had his greatest game of his young career, 4 goals today and was rightfully named Man of the Match.

Flavio started the scoring after taking advantage of Galhardo's error with a powerful shot that was also deflected in. Flavio double the lead and scored his 2nd with a close range shot in the 18th minute. Maicosuel scored Atletico 3rd goal of the night with a shot from inside the penalty area where it also hit the post before going in. Two minutes later, Flavio scored his hat-trick in the 33rd minute with a close range effort. Four minutes later, Jesus Datolo increased the lead with a simple finish from close range. Gremio's Souza pulled back for Gremio with a screamer of a shot from long range. Flavio ended the rout by scoring his 4th goal of the night with a cleanly struck shot from close.

Next game will be a Brasileirão match against Internacional at home.​

Clube Atlético Mineiro vs Sport Club Internacional

View attachment 263958
View attachment 263957
View attachment 263956

3 matches that we faced them and we still cannot find a way to beat them, at least that we manage to tie against them. Anderson scored a penalty on a controversial call but what done is done.

Luciano scored the first goal of the game with a well timed shot from close range. Flavio, continuing to show his scoring ability, scored in the 19th minute when he header the ball inside the 6 yard box. Ramires gave Atletico the lead when he scored a nice shot from 15 metres. Luciano scored his 2nd after a powerful shot to level the game. Tabata give Atletico another lead in the 62nd minute with a tidy shot from 13 metres. Anderson tied the game in the 77 minute after Emerson conceded the penalty.

Next match will be a Brasileirão match against our most hated rivals Cruzeiro at home.​

Clube Atlético Mineiro- Retirement

View attachment 263854

Even with me trying to convince him to stay for one more year, Lugano has inform me that he will retire at the end of the season.​

Clube Atlético Mineiro vs Cruzeiro Esporte Clube

View attachment 263753
View attachment 263752
View attachment 263751

I know I said this a million times but winning against our rivals is the greatest feeling of all times regardless of the score or match stats. Even though Cruzeiro had more shots on targets but couldn't make their chance and we made them pay.

Felipe Santana scored a goal in the first 5 minutes of the game with a header from point blank range. Walter tied the game with a penalty after Maicosuel conceded the penalty. Jadson gave Atletico the lead by a penalty after Leo gave it away. Flavio completed the scoring with a well timed shot from close range.

Next game will be against Atletico Paranaense.​

Clube Atlético Mineiro- 2015-2016 European Review

This post will be an European Review

England

Premier League

View attachment 263748

Manchester City won their 3rd EPL title in 5 years and Manchester United finished 2nd just ahead of Liverpool with 81 points but ahead in Goal Differences. Fulham, Cardiff, and West Brom were relegated tot he Championship. Sergio Aguero finished 1st in goals with 23 ahead of Ayoze Perez and Jermain Defoe with 21.

The Championship

View attachment 263747

Stoke City won the Championship for their 3rd time in history after finishing with 101 points. Stoke, Hull City, and Derby all were promoted to EPL for the 2016/17 season.

F.A Cup

View attachment 263746

Arsenal won their 2nd title in 3 years after beating Burnley 3-1.

Capital One Cup

View attachment 263739

Leicester defeated Manchester United 3-2 in extra time for their 4th ever League Cup title.

Spain

Liga BBVA

View attachment 263738

Real Madrid won their record 33rd title with a 14 point lead over Valencia. Rayo, Getafe and Elche were relegated to Liga adelante. Mario Mandzukic finished 1st in goals with 27 and Messi and teammate Torres finished behind him with 24 and 23, respective.

Copa Del Rey

View attachment 263737

Barcelona won their record 27th title after beating Villarreal 2-1.

Germany

Bundesliga

View attachment 263736

Bayern won their 4 consecutive year and Borussia Dortmund also finished 2nd for the 4th straight year. Dusseldorf and Hannover were both relegated. Lewandowski finsihed with 20 goals and Branimir Hrgota with 19 goals finished 2nd while both Reus and Klos finished with 18 goals.

DFB-Pokal

View attachment 263730

Bayern won the double with their 4th straight title after beating Freburg on penalties.

Italy

Serie A

View attachment 263729

Juventus won their 5th consecutive Serie A title after finishing 1st with a 11 point lead over Fiorentina. Lanciano, Catania, and Brescia were all relegeted. Carlos Tevez finished 1st in goals with 21 with Berardi and Dybala with 19 and 18 respectively.

Coppa Italia

View attachment 263728

Juventus also did the double with their 1st Coppa Italia title since 1995 with a 2-1 win over Torino.

Portugal

Primeira Liga

View attachment 263727

FC Porto won their 11th title in 14 years with a very close finished were Porto managed to finished ahead of Sporting by Goal Difference. Ferreira and Moreirense were both relegated. Vincent Aboubakar finised 1st in goals with 18.

Taça de Portugal

View attachment 263726

For the first time since 1999, neither Porto, Benfica and Sporting were in the finals. Nacional da Madeira beat Belenenses 2-0 for their 1st ever Taca de Portugal title.

France

Ligue 1

View attachment 263725

PSG won their 4 straight title with Lyon finishing 2nd and Monaco finishing 3rd. Toulouse, Bastia and Ajaccio were relegated. Ibrahimovic finished 1st with 23 goals.

Coupe de France

View attachment 263724

PSG win the double after beating FC Lorient 2-1 for their first title since 2010.

Scotland

Scottish Premiership

View attachment 263723

Celtic won their 5th consecutive title with a tight finale finishing only 1 point over Ross County. St. Johnstone were relegated. Also its the return of Ranger to the Premiership. Kris Commons of the Celtics finished 1st in goals with 18.

Scottish Cup

View attachment 263722

Hibernian beat Hearts 1-0 for their 3rd ever title and first since 1902.

Scottish League Cup

View attachment 263721

Kilmarnock beat Aberdeen 2-1 for their 2nd ever title.

Europe

Champions League

View attachment 263720

Manchester City is the first team to win back to back Champions League since A.C Milan in 1989 and 1990. With title, they have won the Premier League, Club FIFA World Cup, and Champions League for the Treble.

Europa League

View attachment 263719

Barcelona won the double by lifting up the Europa League for the 4th time by beating Valencia 2-1.

Clube Atlético Paranaense vs Clube Atlético Mineiro

View attachment 263711
View attachment 263710
View attachment 263709

Great game against Atletico Paranaense. It was a tough game but we managed to stay ahead in the end. Former Atletico Mineiro Nikao scored against us today.

Tabata scored just over a minute in the game with finisher from 15 metres. Nikao scored against his former team on a penalty shot after Diego Lugano mistake. Lucas Candido scored the game winner in the 37th minute with a placed shot that the keeper couldn't get to.

Next match is against Fluminense.​

Clube Atlético Mineiro- Transfers

View attachment 263267
View attachment 263265

Today, we are happy to announce the signing of a young star Gaston Gil Romero. A very versatile player that can play multiple position. He is a very brave player that will help defend if needed. Romero has the potential to be one of the star in Brasileirão and I promise he will lead Argentina to greatest in a couple of years.​

Fluminense Football Club vs Clube Atlético Mineiro

View attachment 263253
View attachment 263255
View attachment 263254

This should have been ours to win. We had every chance in the world to win in the 1st half but we failed to capitalize our chances.

Victor Ramos scored for Fluminense in the 75th minute with a simple finish from close range. Pierre tied the game with an incisive finish from 16 metres.

Next game will be against Palmerias.

Sociedade Esportiva Palmeiras vs Clube Atlético Mineiro

View attachment 263252
View attachment 263251
View attachment 263250

Palmeiras made this game difficult to win. Almost ever attack that they did, almost resulted in a goal, including they managed to hit the post twice. We only managed to get through in the final 15 minutes of the game.

Tabata scored in the 76th minute when he shot a close range shot after taking advantage of Ernando's error. Flavio double the lead 3 minutes later with a close range effort.

Next match will be against Botafogo at home.​