Cultural Leonesa: Read OP for contents and my progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
thank you, found that a while back. ive ordered the home hirt with the assistance of death ball who translated for me :D

I've ordered myself the Espanyol home and away kit because of my story too. XD

I've ordered myself the Espanyol home and away kit because of my story too. XD

lol espanyol was much easier to find i imagine.

i found the official website early on in my search, but i dont speak spanish so couldnt fathom the order process. i found an english language website selling spanish shirts, but they only went as low as adelante. then i asked deathball if he could help, and he translated the order form for me. :D

edit: the mid season update will finally be posted tommorow!

Last edited:
Mid-Season Update 2012/13

Apologies for the length of this update, im still recovering from my broken hand, i recently downgraded from a cast to a type of brace/splint thing, and its quite difficult to type with.

La Cultu are struggling in the goalscoring department without the class of Macheda this year, but pleasingly my defence has been tight when it matters. We currently sit 6th in the table, nicely poised to mount an assualt on the promotion spots. Unfortunately our fierce rivals Valladolid are running away with it, followed closely by surprise packages Xerez who were tipped as mid table nobodies. Osasuna (who were my tip for the title) round off the top 3, closely followed by the chasing pack of Malaga, Las Palmas, La Cultu and Albecete. Early season favourites Levante and Recreativo are struggling, both are well off the pace and have sacked their managers, i was offered both jobs but politley declined, despite Levante offering me a 4million pound budget. Money cant tempt me, im La Cultu 'til i die, although the board seem to be worried.
View attachment 37314
Im pleased with our position at the moment, although we arent scoring bucket loads, we are grinding out results, this is how my smash and grab tactics are supposed to work, keep it tight and hit the opponents with a very quick, direct counter attack. Maybe the poor state of the pitch at the Reino De Leon has contributed to ugly football, which has favoured my style of play.
View attachment 37307
View attachment 37308
View attachment 37309

Rocamora leads the goal charts, but unusually for the great man, he hasnt scored as many as usual, 13 goals is almost dissapointing! Alipio and Jimenez have shared the lone frontman role and both have impressed me, Jimenez continues to look as though he will dominate world football, and Alipios Real Madrid schooling is showing through. Pernia has contributed with some welcome goals, including his first from open play for the club. The arrival of Alex on loan in January gave me a headache, he scored on debut and has been mesmerising in the handful of games hes played for the club. But as the transfer window drew to a close, i realised i would need to drop one of my foreign players to include him in the squad. There can be a max of 2 non EU natioanls in a Liga Adelante squad, so Rodrigo or Brek Shea would have to make way. Rodrigo has been the best goalie ive had so far in my managerial career at La Cultu, so Shea would have to be dumped in the B team.
View attachment 37319
View attachment 37320

My tactics, although unorthodox and pretty negative, finally seem to be working the way they should. Heres my best team, Soriano and Alex are better players on paper for the 2 central midfield spots, but at the moment the pace and defensive solidity of Salvadori and the flair and guile of Yeste are reaping rewards, reminding me of the early days when Seyfo Soley and Ivan Campo were bossing anyone and everyone back in 2B1.
View attachment 37313

There was no activity in the transfer market, i had a few offers for my youngsters, including 500k from Sevilla for one of my u19 strikers; Juan Joes Paredes. He looks like he could develop into a good player, hes not in the same league as Jimenez, but worth keeping hold of nonetheless.
I'm hoping we can continue our good form and really push hard for a promotion spot. If we dont go up then surely offers will flood in for my top talent and i will have to rebuild my squad, i may not get a shot at promotion for another 2-3 seasons. Heres an update on Jimenez's progress and also a look at new wonderkid Alex, who im hoping to sign in the summer.
View attachment 37322
View attachment 37323

So with big challenges ahead of us, including Valladolid at the Reino De Leon (which will be televised) i look forward to a strong push for the top 3 spots.

Viva La Cultu!

Do you think you can go up this season? You're only 3 points off a playoff place and that's not bad at all.

You've done well to stick to your original tactic too, I see it's still going well.

Do you think you can go up this season? You're only 3 points off a playoff place and that's not bad at all.

You've done well to stick to your original tactic too, I see it's still going well.

im hopeful, but a 25 man squad and regular call ups to international youth teams for my whizzkids means sometimes i have a very small set of players to choose from. If i can keep everyone fit then i reckon i can sneak 3rd place. Yeah tactics finally work! but i think the only reason is because the pitch is awful, meaning direct football is the only way to play.

Last edited:
It's not always good when your team is full of the best kids around ;)

Glad it's starting to work. Good luck for the rest of the season, I'll look forward to the next update.

It's not always good when your team is full of the best kids around ;)

Glad it's starting to work. Good luck for the rest of the season, I'll look forward to the next update.

aside from jimenez and alex (although hes a loanee) i dont have outstanding talents. the likes of salvadori, irigoyen, rapnik and rodrigo will go on to be solid BBVA players, but because they are young, and have been performing well they get attention, both for national call ups and from the managers of other clubs, can be frustrating when you have a small squad.

thanks mate, should be along in a day or 2.

great story jake, ill be doing a" south american adventure" soon, i will be a journeyman in that part of the world, wish me luck, a great story, one of the best

thanks mate :D

i replied to your pm about this, good luck.

This is a really good story mate, well set out, hope you get promotion and can take Cultural all the way! Was attracted to this story cause I'm managing C.P Cacereno, who are predicted to finish 20th in your former twin division, second division B2. No chance of me finding a shirt for them!
Anwyay I'll be following, keep it up!

End Of Season Review 2012/13

Liga Adelante: Finished 3rd = PROMOTION BABY!
Spanish Cup: Knocked out in 4th round by Athletic Bilbao (this is getting annoying now)

I write this on the day that Holland have beaten Argentina 3-0 in the conferderations cup final. hosts Brazil cam 3rd. But of course you dont care about that, and to be honest nor do I, because Rocamora and his ramshackle mix of whizzkids and pensioners have just been promoted to Spains top flight!!!!
We timed our assualt on 3rd place a little later than i had planned, not confirming promotion until the final game of the season. Las Palmas pushed us all the way, finishing level with us on points. But it was always in our own hands, as long as we won every remaining game during the nail biting end of season run in we would go up thanks to our superior head to head record and goal difference. Valladolid romped home and were promoted with games to spare, the battle for second was over not long after, with Xerez claiming their ticket to the big time. That left Las Palmas, La Cultu and Malaga to fight it out for the final promotion spot. Malaga were long shots for promotion and i wasnt worried, but Las Palmas had been solid all season. Im really ****** off i didnt take the screenshots until the next season began, meaning i cant show you the red line thing which shows where we were in the league game by game. Because oursleves and Las Palmas were neck and neck until the last few games, when we just got our noses in front, and once i had a sniff of promotion there was no way i was going to let it slip from my grasp. Jaen were awful all season and were followed back down to the 2B divisions by Huesca, Eibar and Salamanca.
View attachment 38548
View attachment 38550
View attachment 38549
View attachment 38553

Captain fantastic; Alejandro Rocamora capped another fantastic campaign with 25 goals and 13 assists from 46 games. Ruben Jimenez continued to progress, posting his best ever goal return in a La Cultu shirt and Alipio performed well whenever he got the chance. Barretto was probably my best striker on paper, but had to settle for the role of super sub. Ive learned the hard way that a promising loan acquisition probably wont turn into a permenant signing (see Macheda for details). I am not the kind of gaffer who is going to develop whizzkids for big clubs to sell on for massive profits. Pleasingly we managed to score from nearly every position on the pitch, hopefully this means i wont have to rely on 3-4 players to get the goals. We finished 2nd top scorers in the league behind arch enemies Valladolid.
View attachment 38551

This season has been my best both in terms of results and also in terms of my tactics actually working. I'm certain the awful pitch at the Reino de Leon played a big part in it, and im almost regretting asking the board to relay it. I mean would you rather play Barcelona on a brand new, pristine surface or on a bog described as 'terrible'? My whizzkids disrupted the harmony and rhythm of the team because they were often unavailable due to international call ups, Irigoyen and Rodrigo particularly. But on the whole i had a pretty stable first 11, allowing for consistency and a good understanding. Alex showed great promise but i quickly realised he was too good to become a permenant signing. This realisation combined with the emergence of Irigoyen meant Alex only played a handful of games for La Cultu. This was probably my best team based on the entire season, although Agbossoumonde ousted Stjepic for the final 3rd of the season and Alipio socred goals whenever he played in place of Jimenez.
View attachment 38557

Just a quick mention for the game that i feel was the turning point of our season. A typical La Cultu 'smash and grab' (im thinking of trademarking 'smash and grab tactics') win over the old enemy Valladolid at the Reino de Leon. Valladolid threw everything at us, and the best striker in the league; Alberto Bueno went clsoe on numerous occasions, but Alipio slotted home a 1-on-1 on the counter attack in the 70th minute to seal a fantastic win over the runaway winners of Adelante. After this result in March we dropped only a handful of points and i feel it was the reason behind our end of season boost in form.
View attachment 38563

The transfer window has opened again, but im still in the previous season (a familair story by now) so i dont have my first top flight budget yet. I have already been active on the free transfer market though. Potential superstar Alphonse Areola has been bought in to provide back up for my goalies. Ive also swooped for former loanee Nemanja Matic after he was released by Chelsea. Plenty of useless youngsters have been released and Morientes left for Elche on a bosman. Ive currently got the likes Seydou Keita and Segundo Castillo on trial to bolster my hopes of survival. I need to trawl the market long and hard to find a few experienced heads to improve the squad, hopefully i'll be given the funds to secure a couple more whizzkids. In the meantime ive got my first tournament in charge of the USA to negotiate; the North American Gold Cup......

Heres a quick update on the progress of fans favourite Jimenez, and new wünderkind Javier Irigoyen
View attachment 38564
View attachment 38565
View attachment 38566
View attachment 38567

Its going to be a tough season, but a challenge that ive wanted for some time now. I expect tough trips to footballing fortresses like the Mestalla, El Madrigal and Neuvo San Mames as well as the obviously daunting trips to Camp Nou and Santiago Bernabeu. Im hoping Rocamora can carry his outstanding performances on at the highest level, becasue i really dont have another string puller if he falls flat. Irigoyen is still a boy, and asking him to be our creative outlet is probably asking too much too soon.

Anyway im going to be trawling the transfer market for hours and hours so dont expect an update for 2 or 3 days! :D

Viva La Cultu!

Last edited:
Ahh I knew you'd get it (A)

Barcelona, Madrid and Espanyol ;) won't know what hit them!

This stuff amazing Jake, you are getting some quality regens in as well, will be a huge season for Jiminez now, sure Romocara will not crack it at this level ;)

This stuff amazing Jake, you are getting some quality regens in as well, will be a huge season for Jiminez now, sure Romocara will not crack it at this level ;)

yeah im pleased with jimenez and irigoyen, proves you can find wonderkids pretty cheaply, ive seen so many people moan that they cant find any decent regens that wont cost 10mill+

if im honest im worried that rocamora may not perform. his stats are best described as average, but he seems to perform above the level you would expect of someone with his ability. i guess im just going to hope for the best. i'll keep my tactics consistent so he doesnt have to adapt, im not going to let the big boys scare me.

I forgot to add, where does a certain Javier Saviola ply his trade these days ;)

I forgot to add, where does a certain Javier Saviola ply his trade these days ;)

jav-sav is high on my list of targets. he moved to almeria on a free transfer last summer and that transfer was liga bbva signing of the season. i'll see what i can do but even almeria are a big club compared to the minnows from leon :'(

Status
Not open for further replies.