Deep 4-4-2 Counter Tactic: Huge Underdog Success (Patch 14.1.4)

I keep getting tasty leads like.. 3/4-0 and then my defence goes to sleep and we concede 3/4 goals to either draw the game or just sneak a win. I usually switch to counter around the 70th minute. I'm wondering if leaving it on attacking and adding the stick to position shout would help me more than counter attacking would?

Anyone else having a similar problem? I've got good powerful centre backs.

am just started using this in skrill north, so can't help u too much, but.. counter at 70th minute + defend duty for DM's maybe? eventually take back d-line to much deeper + long passes + counter (+dm's defend duty) ? :)

My results seem to have sorted themselves out and the defenders seem to be doing well towards the end of the match now. Never changed anything.

jeid, maybe u just needed to tactic gelled m8 ;). am starting now my season in Skrill, wondering how it gonna look like in such a **** team like my ;).

jeid, maybe u just needed to tactic gelled m8 ;). am starting now my season in Skrill, wondering how it gonna look like in such a **** team like my ;).

I took over Rushall in Skrill north. 1 of the promoted teams after i did 1 year holyday. I used counter the whole season and won the league with 3 games left. So it can be done :)

Many thanks for the tactic. Real good job :)

I took over Rushall in Skrill north. 1 of the promoted teams after i did 1 year holyday. I used counter the whole season and won the league with 3 games left. So it can be done :)

Many thanks for the tactic. Real good job :)

nice m8, very nice :). so with playing without holiday it can be only better, my friendlies so far looks really impressive ;).

I was pretty close to fluid, but I think the defensive positioning helped. Happened a lot with my Dresden team last season.

Here's my results this season so far.

View attachment 443744

The Freiburg and Nurnberg results were just before I came off of team cohesion/tactics and switched to Balanced/Def. Positioning. I was winning the Freiburg game 3-0 and the Nurnberg game 4-1 at half time but they slayed my defence in the second half. Since then, my defenders have sorted their lives out.

Last edited:
nice m8, very nice :). so with playing without holiday it can be only better, my friendlies so far looks really impressive ;).

No i played the whole season by myself. I just did the holiday thing for a year, so i could take over one of the teams who got promoted to the Skrill north/south

ah, sorry, i didn't understand properly ;). anyway - even better ;). so far not so bad, but not so good either, but we will see at the end of season.

This tactic is something else!! Started with Crewe in League 1 (media predict 23rd) and began using my own tactic to some success (very rare!) I went on to win the league but results were beginning to drop towards the end of season. I then switched to this tactic in the championship and results were incredible. Finished 2nd in the league and went on to be 7th in the prem after 21 games! I have now been offered the Southampton job and yet to use this tactic with them. But with Crewe as a smaller underdog team was fantastic! Scored lots of goals, especially the two strikers and the defense wasn't too shabby either!! Brilliant tactic, thankyou.

Just testing it with 14.2.0 and I've won 3-0 and 6-0 with Leverkusen. Seems to be continuing from where I was before.

Had to laugh at the headline for the match report...

View attachment 443135

I just had this happen:

Chelsea 1:2 Aston Villa
shots: 43/21 : 5/3
pos: 63% : 37%

And from 49th minute I played with just 10 players, since Delph decided to get a red card.

Won 1:0 with Tottenham too, but that was in Birmingham. But that Chelsea match left me win my jaw open. And its all in 1st season, no transfers at all, just basic Villa squad.

Last edited:
View attachment 443001

as u can see tactic still working the same as before, am verry happy with my results, am 2nd in league in the middle of season (5th media pred).

only thing i try to tweak is corners, because far post is not working as good as before - so far with no results unfortunetly :(
if somebody found some new, good attacking corners routine c'mon, share it ;).

Someone else noticed a lack of goals from corners in the new patch 4.2?

I`m using the original instructions (Far post) and my team didn`t score not even once.

Don't know how many but think I have scored 5-10 on corners, and Im in january, playing with Kidderminster.
Tactic works very well, Malbon is topscorer with 32 goals in 28 games so far and Im at the top 11 point clear.