Deep 4-4-2 Counter Tactic: Huge Underdog Success (Patch 14.1.4)

Tactic worked fantastically for me at Gladbach. Made only one transfer in the winter (Diagne), but other than that managed to win the league with essentially the stock Gladbach side!

De Jong wound up being quite the magical player in the target man role, and Arango was a real treat to watch despite his utter lack of pace these days. He more than made up for it with his crossing and set piece abilities.

Squad Stats

160B87F5DCFAB85172370E90355832AAE9134A90

League Table

ABE5EF1E581278EBF5F74FE11FEF8358CC5BF3FA

Last edited:
I really dont understand the results people are getting, what training are you doing?

Got promoted as Shrewsbury and have a decent team comparable to the crystal palace team you have yet I am barely scraping out of the relegation places, I thought I had found a tactic to save me but no :(

I have quite creative CDMs which may be holding me back, and feel I am looking too much for the perfect player for each position. My defence have average stats yet I cant stop conceding + going forward cant finish!

On defensive positioning as match training

In fm13 i used this tactic all the time and was delighted to use it in fm14 too. since 14.2 came out, i made a few adjustments which seem to work. i pushed my 2 DM's forward and set the role as Central Midfielder defend, i also use the starting stratagy as counter when playing away.. I wont the Scottish championship with Peterhead, and after reaching the final of the Scottish cup the previous season, i am now in the Europa league 3rd qualifying round with a 2-1 lead after the 1st leg.

cracking tactic.

This is still working ok for me since the update, not quite as good as before but I think that might be because closing down was reduced in the tactic familiarity. I'm hoping it will be back to how it was before when everything becomes fluid.

good tactic, consistent performances, some really magic goals too. Well done!

Please make a new one for the millionth patch this year, i'm begging you!!

It was still working for me on 14.2. It lost a bit of it's fluidity, but I think once I get that back, it'll be all good again. Only lost 2 games all season with my Leverkusen team. Mitrovic was a beast for me. 30 goals in 25 games.

Still using this with success on 14.2.0.

I am conceding more goals and I am looking for tweaks but nothing concrete yet. I feel as though I am scoring more though which compensates for the conceding but I crave clean sheets.

Still using this with success on 14.2.0.

I am conceding more goals and I am looking for tweaks but nothing concrete yet. I feel as though I am scoring more though which compensates for the conceding but I crave clean sheets.

I completely agree with this, Im still using this tactic for my main save with PSV eindhoven like I did before patch 14.1.4. It is still working but I indeed concede more goals and I have the idea i create less aswell. Have tried some small tweaking around but it didnt give me better results till now

I have just started a new save with the mighty pars (Dunfermline), and the tweaks i made as mentioned above are working great, and im barely conceading! I use counter statagy away and attacking at home too!

Are yours and computer`s goal keepers conceding "strange" goals with patch 14.2? Since the update I`ve seen at least four goals where the ball is shot from the midfield or a little closer and the keeper is alone to grab it but he falls down nad the ball enters. I`ll try to upload a video the next time I see it happening.

Hi guys. I used this tactic before the new patch. I played with Norwich, got 2. place i the league og van Wolfsvinkel topscorer. Then after the patch, i lost evereyhting, and got the sack in the second season. I would love i the creator of this tactic would help med to get it to work on patch 14.2 :)

Hi guys. I used this tactic before the new patch. I played with Norwich, got 2. place i the league og van Wolfsvinkel topscorer. Then after the patch, i lost evereyhting, and got the sack in the second season. I would love i the creator of this tactic would help med to get it to work on patch 14.2 :)

Hi mate, i pushed my 2 DM's forward, kept the same instructions as before, and changed the stratagy to away for ALL away matches. Having great success! there are a few odd goals and injuries but nothing game breaking.

hope this helps!

I put my cdm at cm on defensive and won league 1 with colchester and got to semi final of fa cup and was unlucky not to beat united..great tactic

Can anyone upload a tweaked version? I just love this formation but I can't seem to get it right!

make the FB's Limited FB's instead, uch more tidy, less prone to be exploited. set them to stay wide.

View attachment 437155View attachment 437154View attachment 437152View attachment 437151
Hi guys, here are pics of my modified tactic, one for home, one for away. So far i have wond 2 league titles and 2 challenge cups.

all i did was move the 2 DM forward (made sure the same instructions were set on both roles) and changed the GK from SWK to plain GK defend. Mentality away is set to counter.

Training: Team cohesion - very high and tactics only until fluid then Balanced average and Def positioning for the rest of the season.

So far i have had great sucess as i have kept Rangers from 2 league titles. Hearts were my main rivals 2nd season and it was only cause i beat them second last game of the season that i went top.

Well done on yet another good 2 striker formation Sean. Used your Arrigo sacchi in fm13 to massive success and as you pointed out, its been "nerfed" in the last patch. My 1st save of fm14, was the AI randomly selecting Saint-Etienne in France and was using your original tactic but it started to falter about 10 games thru the season so used some other tactics. Gave this a go for my 1st match just now and as pretty pleased with the result.

Will try using it for the rest of the season and post some updates.

P.S. My screenie is bigger than yours :p

Last edited: