ollieconnolly

Reaction score
The Story

With the league season over, some FM’ers are finding it increasingly difficult to get stuck into the game. So for my last save I’ve come up with a new style of story that will hopefully keep me interested in a save throughout the Euro’s and up to the release of FM13.

The story is similar to a story I ran as Wigan at the start of the year. The story is from the perspective of the club instead of from the point of view of a manager. It will track how the club evolves from manager to manager. In doing so I’ll take on the persona of each manager using their tactics and managerial style, e.g. Rafa Benitez 4-2-3-1 Counter attack, Alex Ferguson 4-4-2 Attack etc.

This is where the story gets interesting. For this story im going to incorporate the readers, with four people taking up members of the board, they will be the deciders in every decision taken at the club. Using the in game balance they will decide the transfer/wage budgets, any facility changes, managerial appointments/removals and approving any staff that said manager wishes to bring in.
There will be four members on the board.

Chairman

He will be the head of the board, and will have the deciding vote on all matters (in the event of a voting tie) so managerial changes and budgets.

The Directors

Two directors will be appointed, and will be able to vote on all matters. Although not having the deciding vote in the event of a tie, their vote is as equal as anyone else’s.

Director Of Football

The football head honcho. In the story the manager is basically a head coach, with board adopting a more ‘continental’ approach. The Director of Football, will be in charge of all player recruitment and the manager will work with the resources provided. The chairman and Directors cannot block any of the recruitment from the DOF, but they can remove him if they think his decisions are poor.

Derby County

175px-Derby_County_F.C._logo.png

Derby County Football Club is an English football club based in Derby, England . As of 2012 the club play in the Football League Championship and is notable as being one of the twelve founder members of the Football League in 1888 and is, therefore, one of only ten clubs to have competed in every season of the English football league. They are managed by Nigel Clough, and Shaun Barker is the club captain.

History

Derby have won the top division in England twice, during the mid 70’s. They are one time FA Cup victors (1946) On the European front, Derby have had limited success, their most notable achievement being runners up in the Anglo-Italian Cup.

Facilities

0,,~3058423,00.jpg

Stadium - Pride Park - 33,455 All Seater
- Undersoil Heating

Top Training Facilities
Good Youth Facilities

Adequate Junior Coaching
Above Average Youth Recruitment

Why Derby?

I chose Derby because they are somewhat of a ‘sleeping giant.’ They aren’t backed with overwhelming finances, therefore the role of the board will be even more crucial to get decisions right.
Media Prediction – 12th​

The Rules
So that is pretty much it! Hopefully people will find this interesting and there will be people who would like to get involved. I’d only ask that those who get involved in a role like DOF are available rather often, especially during transfer windows.
I'm using a Summer update as of 15/6/2012 - so Michael Laudrup at Swansea etc.
The only real rule i’ve imposed on myself is not to use any downloaded tactic. Reason behind this being it makes the game more random, and makes it more interesting than romping to EPL champions within two years with a glory tactic!
If anyone has any questions please ask away I understand it was a long post!

Twitter: @OJAllSports

guardian-logo1.jpg
nigel_clough_1242683c.jpg

Clough: I'm Out!
Son of Brian Walks Out On Derby Citing 'Ownership Issues'

Nigel Clough yesterday walked out on Derby County amid the clubs impending takeover from a homegrown consortium. Clough is quoted as saying he has found the recent times 'troubling.' 'I'm not sure i was wanted here after last season, and it became clearer by the hour, that whoever was coming in i would most certainly not be their choice to take this club forward.' Clough continued to say 'I've thoroughly enjoyed my time here, i'm grateful to Derby for taking a chance on me when i was managing at non-league level. This club will always remain close to our families heart and we wish everyone involved every success in the future.'The timing of the announcement has allowed which ever party takes over at Pride Park to install whoever they want at the helm. Thus far a whole host have names have been linked, but the decision will surley be dictated by whoever takes the reigns of the club.

Paddy-Power-logo.gif

Ian Holloway 5-1
Alan Curbishley 5-1
Gianfranco Zola 7-1
Paul Ince 7-1
Glen Hoddle 11-1
Ruud Guillt 11-1
Ray Wilkins 14-1

Last edited:
Sounds good, I'll be a director if you like?

Ok yeah brilliant mate :) obviously, you'll be involved in votes and stuff through PM's so will have to check in every now and then :) whats your full name mate??

Ok yeah brilliant mate :) obviously, you'll be involved in votes and stuff through PM's so will have to check in every now and then :) whats your full name mate??

Yeah okay. My full name is Tobias Powers. :) Looking forward to this.

Last edited:
Yeah okay. My full name is Mr ShyGuy :) Looking forward to this.

Me too mate, i think it can be excellent gets four people involved in one story, a possibility of multiple people

Name's just to put in game btw :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I won't give you my surname so I will give you my favourite fake name - James Hughton.

I'll be chairman if that's alright? Derby ST holder so would be really interested, and never seen a Derby save before on here!

And I'll be Jake Davis, just a completely random made up name

Last edited:
Board Confirmed :)

Names of Directors
Chairman
Jamo456 - Jake Davis
Directors
Kwixx - Tobias Powers
TamMcCann

DOF
Ncfc4lyf1 - James Hughton

Will update, with newspapers etc. tomorrow. If you have any questions ask away, a guess the chairman should schedule a tim for the first meeting regarding the manager etc.

Hope this goes well lads, should be fun!

This is a great idea mate, any more roles that I could take up XD

I have replied to the PM I was sent regarding who I felt should be manager. Unsure of the way ncfc4lyf did it, but an option would be for everyone to PM me their chosen manager from Ruud Gullit, Mick McCarthy or Ian Holloway, but if anyone feels that there is another option, then PM me the name, and we can re-vote, a bit like a shortlist process.

I could then call a press conference and announce the new manager, when you, Ollie, answer the questions you would if you were just starting a new save in-game?

Sorry if this isn't the right way that each of you imagined, just a thought as to how we could do it?

I have replied to the PM I was sent regarding who I felt should be manager. Unsure of the way ncfc4lyf did it, but an option would be for everyone to PM me their chosen manager from Ruud Gullit, Mick McCarthy or Ian Holloway, but if anyone feels that there is another option, then PM me the name, and we can re-vote, a bit like a shortlist process.

I could then call a press conference and announce the new manager, when you, Ollie, answer the questions you would if you were just starting a new save in-game?

Sorry if this isn't the right way that each of you imagined, just a thought as to how we could do it?

I've PM'd both you and ncfc4lyf my decision.

We have all voted out of the 3 possible manager, and there is one clear winner. I have pm'd you Ollie who this is!