Diego Milito "Rooney is over-rated"

Don't see what all the fuss is, he's probably been asked the question in the first place and has given a pretty truthful answer...

“When we hear the English or anybody else in the world of football trying to *compare Wayne Rooney with Messi, we find it laughable.

True.

“Rooney is a very good player there is no doubt about that – but to put him on the same level as Messi is wrong. It’s not up for debate, it’s just wrong.

True.

“How can he be compared to anybody currently playing, let alone a player who has never ever won World Player of the Year?

True.

“Like I said, I think Rooney is a very good player, maybe even a top 20 *player in the world – but that doesn’t make him Messi, it doesn’t even make him close to Messi.

True.

“While I don’t agree with it, I can understand Messi being compared to Kaka and Ronaldo, but Rooney? No, no, no.”

True.

“It’s a long way off but if we do draw England in the *quarter*-finals, Rooney will be a player we show respect to.

“But Messi is marked by five or six players at a time and I don’t see us doing that to Rooney.

True.

Fachts eh?

Don't see what all the fuss is, he's probably been asked the question in the first place and has given a pretty truthful answer...

“When we hear the English or anybody else in the world of football trying to *compare Wayne Rooney with Messi, we find it laughable.

True.

“Rooney is a very good player there is no doubt about that – but to put him on the same level as Messi is wrong. It’s not up for debate, it’s just wrong.

True.

“How can he be compared to anybody currently playing, let alone a player who has never ever won World Player of the Year?

True.

“Like I said, I think Rooney is a very good player, maybe even a top 20 *player in the world – but that doesn’t make him Messi, it doesn’t even make him close to Messi.

True.

“While I don’t agree with it, I can understand Messi being compared to Kaka and Ronaldo, but Rooney? No, no, no.”

True.

“It’s a long way off but if we do draw England in the *quarter*-finals, Rooney will be a player we show respect to.

“But Messi is marked by five or six players at a time and I don’t see us doing that to Rooney.

True.

agree with a lot of what you said but really top 20? Rooney is in the top 5 players in the world and as for comparing Messi with Kaka, why? Kaka has been awful last few seasons

Spot on there Lee.

Messi will eventually be up there with Maradona and Pele. They'll be talking about him in 50 years time. Rooney is a level below that but certainly in the top 10

Last edited:
agree with a lot of what you said but really top 20? Rooney is in the top 5 players in the world and as for comparing Messi with Kaka, why? Kaka has been awful last few seasons
tbf, Rooney has only really had a good season last season compared to the seasons of Kaka, Messi, Ronaldo etc.

tbf, Rooney has only really had a good season last season compared to the seasons of Kaka, Messi, Ronaldo etc.

Kaka, in the same line as Messi and Ronaldo?? He was no where near his best and had one of his worst season with form and injuries. Kaka had one good season in 2006/07, sorry he has one good champions league in 2006/2007 thats it. Nothing more than that. I'm really surprised to see so many people had Kaka as top 3 player.

Would agree about Rooney being in the top 20 players in the world.

In terms of strikers, he would be in he top 10.

Would agree about Rooney being in the top 20 players in the world.

In terms of strikers, he would be in he top 10.

Can you plz let me know the list who are better than Rooney?

I like how everyone changes their tune when Lee comes along and posts emboldened "True" for everything like it's now considered fact.

It isn't true. Rooney is comparable to the world's best when he's on top of his form, without a doubt. Top 20? Yeah. Top 10? Yeah. Top 5? Maybe, maybe not, but Rooney is certainly up there with the best.

Rooney's weakness is his temperament.

Dear Mr Milito.
Come to the prem and we'll see how good you actually are.

Sorry Milito but Rooney is not only better than you internationally, but it also didn't take him until he was 31 to actually play for a club worth mentioning. 4 goals in 22 games for an international forward? LOL @ YOU!

Dear Mr Milito.
Come to the prem and we'll see how good you actually are.

Dear Mr MattDamon1990
Come to the World Cup and we;ll see how good you actually are.

See what I did there?

True.

True.

True.

True.

True.

True.

1, Pre injury he was there up with the best in the world.
2. If winning World player of the year is the lone criteria then i dont think Xavi, Scholes are even average players.
3. Top 20? My F*****g ***. He is easily in Top5.
5. Again Kaka can be compared with Messi but not Rooney, What logic is used there?
6. You dont have ******* 3 defensive players to mark a single player . And Messi marked by 5-6 players? Then whole of Barca and Argentina are **** as they cant beat **** out of team. They will be playing 5 Vs 10. At max 2 players mark Messi.

True.

True.

True.

True.

True.

True.
completely different players playing completely different roles.
Messi couldnt run 60 yards back after losing the ball, to win it back.
Rooney cant skin people like messi.
Messi can be a one man team.
Rooney is one man that makes the team.
Both good at what they do.

Dear Mr MattDamon1990
Come to the World Cup and we;ll see how good you actually are.

See what I did there?

You did nothing. Even Ronaldo is looking below average player.

he's obviously class, but the English media has a bad rep for ruining players by over-rating them. I remember when Owen was gonna be the world's best...

5. Again Kaka can be compared with Messi but not Rooney, What logic is used there?

kaka cant be comared to messi. Ronaldo probably can as they play similar roles. Kaka is more of a cm. Messi couldnt play cm

Can you plz let me know the list who are better than Rooney?

Villa
Messi
Forlan
Milito (possibly)
Fabiano (possibly)
Ronaldo
Drogba
Torres
Van Persie
Heskey (no, not really)

These are all strikers who have, over the past few years, been playing at a consistently high level. Rooney has had a good season, but the people who disagree that he is in one of the top ten in the world (please note that I am not one of them) would argue that he needs to be able to reproduce this superb form over a number of seasons to be considered quite in the same vein as the above.

1, Pre injury he was there up with the best in the world.
2. If winning World player of the year is the lone criteria then i dont think Xavi, Scholes are even average players.
3. Top 20? My F*****g ***. He is easily in Top5.
6. You dont have ******* 3 defensive players to mark a single player . And Messi marked by 5-6 players? Then whole of Barca and Argentina are **** as they cant beat **** out of team. They will be playing 5 Vs 10. At max 2 players mark Messi.

1. No denying that. But form can be deceptive: it is temporary, whereas class is permanent.
2. Is a very valid point. Just because somebody won world player of the year doesn't mean that they operate in a completely different league to everyone else.
3. Is an opinion.
5. I'm assuming that Milito is referring to the fact that Messi and Kaka are nominally midfielders, although with Messi increasingly being used as a false nine and Rooney well at home in midfield, it is a slightly outdated argument.
6. He's exaggerating. I hope. Otherwise he's in for a slight surprise when he realises there are double the amount of free defenders than he expected.

Last edited:
Sorry Milito but Rooney is not only better than you internationally, but it also didn't take him until he was 31 to actually play for a club worth mentioning. 4 goals in 22 games for an international forward? LOL @ YOU!

At what point did he compare himself to Rooney?