Diego Simeone Inspired l 4-4-2 l Counter Attacking/Pressing :: by Artisan :: 15.3.0

Please artisan can you help me with how you would set up the team with this tactic to Atletico Madrid?

it would really be appreciated mate:)

Please artisan can you help me with how you would set up the team with this tactic to Atletico Madrid?

it would really be appreciated mate:)

Setting up the team can be done by reading the source information in the original post. It shows where all the players should be placed in the team.

i was appointed as man utd manager on december 20th, and i managed to get the championship.
thanx for your tactic.

There's no doubt this is having success which is great, but I'm slightly unsure about the push higher up instruction with a counter mentality. Atletico tend to defend well inside their own defensive third, and with counter it doesn't quite replicate this. If you use a defensive mentality, there will still be enough aggression, but the defensive block may also be replicated. If this doesn't work then counter is the way to do it.

End of man utd 1st season:
In the game, evans, rojo, jones looked to defend very well in our area. de gea is also superb, better than valdes. The back five seemed to do all the defencive work, and the medfield seemed to helped in the pressing.
Luke shaw was the better Fb and even valencia did decent at right back. I didnt make any transfers!
My biggest problem was at btb position where herrera couldnt finish. although he was very good at passing the ball.
Carrick was very good as defensive cm. I was impressed with the tactic cause i couldnt find one to play after the patch.

I've been using this tactic with Man Utd with great great results, and love to see my team battling for the game like it's the last of their lives!
Artisan you said "Atletico Madrid try to force the opposition into wider areas where play is more predictable. As soon as the ball is sent to the wide man, the players swarm him and win the ball back before launching a counter attack. They do this by leaving these wide players basically in free space whilst tight marking the central area".

And it's true... a player from the wide position can't shoot dangerously... but in you OI's you set to show the right winger-left foot, and lef winger-right foot... which means you funnel the game (as you said).
The intention is to bring the opposition wingers to the middle, where we overcrowd that space to win the ball back, even if the central zone is where all the danger happens? Or should we show the wingers the bylyne so they can only cross from far?

using this with southampton great for dominating opposition physically and shutting their offensive threat but creating very little going forward especially against team that sit deep and counter, and that's the main problem, in FM15 the AI teams have a habit delivering a sucker punch against dominating team who struggling scoring goal, 1 goal just not enough it always ended up in draw or worse, the sucker punch can come from anywhere really it doesn't matter what your tactic is, a wayward cross somehow find it way to the goal directly lobbing the keeper, defender having a great game somehow near the end gave away goal from blunder or careless backpass, corner or long throw in, etc. I need to create more goals or else something like this happen again and again..
View attachment 293167
View attachment 293166
a sucker punch in the 90+3mnt from a cross somehow directly found the net while the whole game they done nothing. so yeah I need help improving my goal scoring rate especially against team who sit deep (pretty much all visiting team in EPL except the bigger teams)

I have the same player set-up with your team except instead of Elia i have Ayew in ML position

Last edited:
I used this tactic with Standard Liège for a season with good results. I finished the season in 1st place in the Jupiler Pro League. I used this tactic exclusively, set the opposition instructions as directed in the OP and applied training as directed in the OP. My season was plagued with serious injuries and red cards, but squad depth kept Standard in contention.

Mid-season screenshots:
View attachment 293003View attachment 293002

Might give this a go. Tempted to tinker one of the striker roles though to a more conventional number 9 though. Defensively it looks spot on I just worry exactly where the goals are going to come from though.