Do you Believe In God

• Thread starter Thread starter TheHig
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 1K
  • Views Views 63K

What would you Describe your Self As ?

• Athiest

Votes: 230 51.7%
  • Religous (what ever Religion that May be)

Votes: 135 30.3%
  • Agnostic

Votes: 72 16.2%
  • Thiest

Votes: 8 1.8%

• Total voters
If people werent fighting over religion they would be fighting over something else as it is human nature(why do you think communism doesnt work)

I am a Catholic christian but I am in no way devout and my faith has been challenged by the church child abuse scandals and therefore I believe in my own way nearly like my own religion. I use it for strenght because without God I would have no reason to try and do good

im not trying to say you are wrong here... but "no reason to do good"... what about your family? what about your friends, what about your future? god is a man made thing.. (im not saying that you are wrong for believing, like scott isnt either) but saying "no reason to do good" is a bit extreme isnt it?

I ask him and let you know mate. Thats a question i possibly can't answer and i think you know that.

In which case he's being a bit of a ****, which I'd rather not have my lord and master being.

Please Explain how the world would be better off, with No faith.

Seriously? Crusades? The Holocaust? All the many, MANY wars fought over no reason other than faith? If humans survived on rationality rather than blind faith in a god that rules over us we would be a **** sight better off today.

Seriously? Crusades? The Holocaust? All the many, MANY wars fought over no reason other than faith? If humans survived on rationality rather than blind faith in a god that rules over us we would be a **** sight better off today.

this links in with medieval total war.. (i finally brought it :D) countries turn on each other for no other reason other than the pope saying "do this, do that"... people say religion is far from dictatorship... is it? really? im not so sure

In which case he's being a bit of a ****, which I'd rather not have my lord and master being.

Are you not THE God?

I thought Cubed was just your surname :S

I am a Catholic christian but I am in no way devout and my faith has been challenged by the church child abuse scandals and therefore I believe in my own way nearly like my own religion. I use it for strenght because without God I would have no reason to try and do good

Sure you do. Unless you fancy being friendless, wind up in jail (if you have any criminal urges) etc. as no reason, then sure. I do lots of good deeds, but I don't need a big whacking stick (****) to make me do these things. Philosophically, are you even good if it takes a threat to make you be nice, e.g. do something? That's coercion, at least according to UK law.

Humans have evolved altruistic traits, along with anti-social ones, much like dogs and cats. It's in our nature to help those close to us (our tribe), which can be expanded from family, to neighbourhood, to city, to nation etc. Religion, a part of a culture, is one thing that helps define "you" and "them," the people you don't need to help.

I still think that putting a lightning rod on top of a Church shows a lack in confidence.

I don't live my life by the bible, i live my life, through what i think is morally right and i love my god. I don't follow it word for word, never had never well.

Would have to agree with that mate, my parents never baptised me so I have no interest in being religious, although I do consider myself to be Agnostic, you just can't say God is real or God is fake. My personal opinion on religion is that it has caused more problems than it has solved. Although I have nothing at all against religious people, people are entitled to their beliefs and I completely respect that!

there would be no branding anybody such as "muslim terrorists"... there would be no pope, there would be no people trying to convert other people to their religions way of thinking... there would be no cults, there would be no divisions amongst interacial families (eg christian family and a muslim family comming together through marrage (so there is no issues regarding arrange marrage etc etc)) there would be no need for americans to say "god bless america" (that really gets on my ****)... there would be no vicious stories about catholic priests doing what they are alleged to be doing... nobody would be afraid of ****, nobody would freak out over somebody doing something with their religions book. the list is endless... so im sorry but religion is a waste of time

So what you are syaing is, Racism would exist without religion, well thats bullshit to say the least.

preaching wouldnt exists without religion, another bullshit statement

Divisions amongst famiilies would happen due to racism already happening, it wasn't religion which encouraged racism, it was human nature.

Arranged marriages originally happened, for rich men, to keep the money with in friends/ family/

So Peadophillia wouldn't exist without religion, we wouldn'twake up in the morning read our papers and see a story about a sick 40 year old men grooming children. Bullshit again

Wars, Conflicts happen all the time, religion is usually used as a scapegoat reason. Thats is clear. so sorry but your post was *****.

He "took" the punishment because the Romans couldn't be arsed with another Jewish rebellion, at least until Vespasian finally had had enough and decided to spread them across the Empire.

And what I was suggesting with hypocrisy is the fact that for most Christians, following the Bible to the word this side of the Crusades usually ends up with them in jail. Your pick and mixing is similar to what Intelligent Design is all about, as opposed to Creationists which I at least can respect for being utterly batshit crazy.

As for no faith, name one part of Atheism that suggests we can kill for our lack of beliefs. There's plenty ways to find ways of justifying murder in any Holy Book. The normal response here is Stalin and Hitlbtw.

i don't really get what your getting at but i will try,

Your trying to use a historians fact to disprove jesus dying for our sins.. Well that argument would go no where, so i think it is best we agree to move on.

Now your what, Insulting me for not killing people and having a morale conscious...?

Just for you, Stalin and Hitler

I am an atheist. I can't believe in something that would control our world and if God would exist why should he bring so many penuries and catastrophs over the world. The religion in which I would most likely believe would be the buddhism, because it is the most peaceful religion.

Last edited:
No I really dont... how can people do all this for god when nobody has any proof what so ever...

I never said i why god would do such a think... He works in his own ways not ours. A bit of a ****, i expected that from some noob, but not you.

Humans would fight without Religion... We fought so many wars over Human Greed.... and Pigheaded people.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYigmGyN2RQ"]YouTube - Richard Dawkins: If Science Worked Like Religion[/ame]

Thread needs MOAR Dawkins.

I never said i why god would do such a think... He works in his own ways not ours. A bit of a ****, i expected that from some noob, but not you.

Humans would fight without Religion... We fought so many wars over Human Greed.... and Pigheaded people.

The wars over human greed would have happened regardless, the loss of life due to religion is unavoidable. How is it an argument that wars happen so religion is faultless? Deaths due to wars in the name of religion and faith far outweigh deaths due to wars over human greed.

I still think that putting a lightning rod on top of a Church shows a lack in confidence.

Hahaha XD

Joel all your posts have pretty much summed up what I was going to eventually. Brilliant.

The wars over human greed would have happened regardless, the loss of life due to religion is unavoidable. How is it an argument that wars happen so religion is faultless? Deaths due to wars in the name of religion and faith far outweigh deaths due to wars over human greed.

Religion is used as an scapegoat.... Without a doubt. Just becuase Religion causes Deaths( which it does) doesn't mean we should get rid of it, COmmunism caused more death then any other government in the history of Europe and it was a non religious state.

Back