Do you Believe In God

• Thread starter Thread starter TheHig
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 1K
  • Views Views 63K

What would you Describe your Self As ?

• Athiest

Votes: 230 51.7%
  • Religous (what ever Religion that May be)

Votes: 135 30.3%
  • Agnostic

Votes: 72 16.2%
  • Thiest

Votes: 8 1.8%

• Total voters
I'll admit I haven't taken the time to read all 16 pages of this thread so I apologise if this has been said before.
I don't believe in a "god" in the traditional sense, meaning I don't believe that everything was created by one all powerful deity that monitors and judges us all. Due to the horrible, sickening acts of violence the human race is capable of doing to each other I don't believe a "god" that truly loves us would let these things happen. I know that we have all been given free will to make our own choices but that seems a pretty flimsy excuse/reason when trying to explain why a "god" would allow a child to be sexually assaulted and murdered.
With regards to the bible I believe it to be a form of control, not so much nowadays but definitely during middle ages/times of crusades etc. Who would disobey someone if they were told they'd spend an eternity in **** for doing so? And the majority of the population would not know any better anyway. Also I don't believe the bible should be used as a moral compass because for every good example we should do (e.g treat others how you expect to be treated yourself) there seems to be a contradiction saying we can own slaves or stone homosexuals.
I hope I'm wrong and there is a god that loves us and all the suffering that takes place is for a reason especially as a member of my family has recently died. Who wants to believe that when you die that's it? It's a much nicer thought to think that when we die we end up in paradise for eternity.

All tests my Friend. Which un fournately many people failed. Job had to flood the world ( if it actually happened) as we ruined it, can god be blamed for righting our wrongs? God is all powerful, all knowing and correct in everything he says and does. I would never question him, but if you wanna be my guest.

WTF. Job had nothing to do with floods.

In her radio show, Dr Laura Schlesinger said that, as an observant Jew, homosexuality is an abomination according to Leviticus 18:22, and cannot be condoned under any circumstance. The following response is an open letter to Dr. Laura, penned by a US resident, which was posted on the Internet. It's funny, as well as informative:

Dear Dr. Laura:

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from your show, and try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination ... End of debate.

I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some other elements of God's Laws and how to follow them.

1. Leviticus 25:44 states that I may possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighbouring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

2. I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

3. I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanliness - Lev.15: 19-24. The problem is how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.

4. When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odour for the Lord - Lev.1:9. The problem is my neighbours. They claim the odour is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

5. I have a neighbour who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself, or should I ask the police to do it?

6. A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination, Lev. 11:10, it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this? Are there 'degrees' of abomination?

7. Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle-room here?

8. Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev. 19:27. How should they die?

9. I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

10. My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev.19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? Lev.24:10-16. Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair, like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively and thus enjoy considerable expertise in such matters, so I'm confident you can help.

Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.

It would be a **** shame if we couldn't own a Canadian.

The Bible is others interpretations of gods words, not his exact words. So nice posts, very well done, but they arent his words.

---------- Post added at 07:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:45 PM ----------

WTF. Job had nothing to do with floods.

Sorry was very tired my bad, It meant to say God....

The Bible is others interpretations of gods words, not his exact words. So nice posts, very well done, but they arent his words.

Sorry was very tired my bad, It meant to say God....

How open are these quotes to interpretation?

Exodus 35:2 - For six days, work is to be done, but the seventh day shall be your holy day, a Sabbath of rest to the LORD. Whoever does any work on it must be put to death.

Leviticus 25:44 - Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves.

Leviticus 11:10 - And all that have not fins and scales in the seas, and in the rivers, of all that move in the waters, and of any living thing which is in the waters, they shall be an abomination unto you.

Leviticus 15
19 - And if a woman have an issue, and her issue in her flesh be blood, she shall be put apart seven days: and whosoever toucheth her shall be unclean until the even.

20 - And every thing that she lieth upon in her separation shall be unclean: every thing also that she sitteth upon shall be unclean.

21 - And whosoever toucheth her bed shall wash his clothes, and bathe himself in water, and be unclean until the even.

22 - And whosoever toucheth any thing that she sat upon shall wash his clothes, and bathe himself in water, and be unclean until the even.

23 - And if it be on her bed, or on any thing whereon she sitteth, when he toucheth it, he shall be unclean until the even.

24 - And if any man lie with her at all, and her flowers be upon him, he shall be unclean seven days; and all the bed whereon he lieth shall be unclean.

I don't know, but there's not a whole lot of interpretation required to understand the Word of God.

Not at all.

I can't beilive in somthing that nobody can prove.

And can make up so many different gods and so on and so forth.

I think it is a major factor as to why our world is in the state it is in today.

This is my opnion only and I would never judge anybody

Spot on mate.

The Bible is others interpretations of gods words, not his exact words.

I know, I know, I don't understand why people take the Bible so literally. I mean, it's not gospel...

2 Timothy 3:16 says: All scriptures were inspired by god.

Meaning they are his words which he told jesus's apostles to write

Meaning they are his words which he told jesus's apostles to write[/QUOTE]

Inspired....Are you thinkin of dictated?

) Do you Believe In God: Yes I do. I believe that Jesus Christ died for our sins, so that everyone would get a chance to get to heaven in the afterlife.

2) Are you Religious: that depends on what you define as religious. But I do pray, and go to church, and gladly preach if anyone who is willing to listen.

3) Why ? because I think that the world is too fantastically made, to not having a great maker, I also have experienced the presence of God to often, so I can only believe :)

sorry if my writing isn't perfect.
and sorry for not taking the time to read the whole 16 pages.

How open are these quotes to interpretation?

Exodus 35:2 - For six days, work is to be done, but the seventh day shall be your holy day, a Sabbath of rest to the LORD. Whoever does any work on it must be put to death.

Leviticus 25:44 - Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves.

Leviticus 11:10 - And all that have not fins and scales in the seas, and in the rivers, of all that move in the waters, and of any living thing which is in the waters, they shall be an abomination unto you.

Leviticus 15
19 - And if a woman have an issue, and her issue in her flesh be blood, she shall be put apart seven days: and whosoever toucheth her shall be unclean until the even.

20 - And every thing that she lieth upon in her separation shall be unclean: every thing also that she sitteth upon shall be unclean.

21 - And whosoever toucheth her bed shall wash his clothes, and bathe himself in water, and be unclean until the even.

22 - And whosoever toucheth any thing that she sat upon shall wash his clothes, and bathe himself in water, and be unclean until the even.

23 - And if it be on her bed, or on any thing whereon she sitteth, when he toucheth it, he shall be unclean until the even.

24 - And if any man lie with her at all, and her flowers be upon him, he shall be unclean seven days; and all the bed whereon he lieth shall be unclean.

I don't know, but there's not a whole lot of interpretation required to understand the Word of God.

I think they wherent his exact words for a start, and i pretty sure that god didnt say, think or said them in this way to anyone, but hey ho, thats my take on religion, you clearly have your, and you welcome to yours, like i am to mine.... :)

Inspired....Are you thinkin of dictated?[/QUOTE]

No, scripture says inspired

1) Agnost, so not sure if I should believe in God, mind tells me no, heart isn't convinced

2) I do how ever loath all religons. There all bad. It's like Gulliver's travel, a discussion about on which side of the egg you should start eating. The big three (jews, christians, muslims) all believe in the same god (sort of) but differ, with bloddy results, on how to worship him. That's just silly, like he cares what kind of clothes you wear.
3. see 2

People who believe in god are mentally unstable and need to believe in something to give them peace of mind and a sense of assurance. The bible is nothing more than emergency toilet paper.

I prefer to side with the side of SCIENCE, The subject that actually explains things backed up by EVIDENCE. Rather than RELIGION, the method of quoting some book witten by an alcoholic.

I undersatand its your right to be religious, but please understand you are wrong. Understand that when you die NOTHING HAPPENS..... Do you know why????? Because you will be ******* DEAD.

Anybody still thinking there is a 'GOD'..... Stop praying and use your time to actu8ally LEARN something rather than BELIEVE in something. For instance, look up the big bang and really learn how we came to existance. Although you are all probably too brainwashed from an early age to even comprehend the TRUTH.

How did he tell them my young friend? Through messages.. Sent how i wonder? It couldnt be them messages where mis interpretted..? god the horror to think, Men mis interepretted things.

How did he tell them my young friend? Through messages.. Sent how i wonder? It couldnt be them messages where mis interpretted..? god the horror to think, Men mis interepretted things.

Then why the **** would god send messages that are so easily misinterpreted?

I think they wherent his exact words for a start, and i pretty sure that god didnt say, think or said them in this way to anyone, but hey ho, thats my take on religion, you clearly have your, and you welcome to yours, like i am to mine.... :)

It's his translated inspired words, from Greek. Either your discrediting the Bible, which I believe to be heresy, and then...

Peter 2:1 But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.

Or, you pick and mix parts from the Bible to suit your own needs, with much the same result. And parts of the Bible are dictated by God ("And the Lord said unto them..."), but most is "inspired" and written down by people who heard it from someone in the pub.

Last edited:
People who believe in god are mentally unstable and need to believe in something to give them peace of mind and a sense of assurance. The bible is nothing more than emergency toilet paper.

I prefer to side with the side of SCIENCE, The subject that actually explains things backed up by EVIDENCE. Rather than RELIGION, the method of quoting some book witten by an alcoholic.

I undersatand its your right to be religious, but please understand you are wrong. Understand that when you die NOTHING HAPPENS..... Do you know why????? Because you will be ******* DEAD.

Anybody still thinking there is a 'GOD'..... Stop praying and use your time to actu8ally LEARN something rather than BELIEVE in something. For instance, look up the big bang and really learn how we came to existance. Although you are all probably too brainwashed from an early age to even comprehend the TRUTH.

1) I am in no way Mentally unstable, Just because i am happy with my Beliefs and can live my life with them, that doesnt make me unstable. The Bible is the book of god, if you dont like it, thats is your problem, But calling it toilet paper is disrepectful and wrong.

2) Your a fool, Science hasnt proved everything, and just cause there no evidence to scientific evidence to support religion, doesnt mean it isn't true, Me nor you where about when the earth was created.

3) I feel sorry for you, What are you living for my friend? If there is nothing after dead your screwed, You ****** up you one shot.

4) I believe in god, and i go to University, I am doing both....? Not all religious people are jsut sitting at home praying, we have lives you know, I go out, I drink, I smoke occassionally. Yes all Sins but i can love God and enjoy myself. Brainwashed at an early age, Another Stereotype, I turnt religious at 16. Is that to young for you? You have no idea what the truth is.

Rant over, but sersly some kids are retarded

Back