Do you Believe In God

• Thread starter Thread starter TheHig
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 1K
  • Views Views 63K

What would you Describe your Self As ?

• Athiest

Votes: 230 51.7%
  • Religous (what ever Religion that May be)

Votes: 135 30.3%
  • Agnostic

Votes: 72 16.2%
  • Thiest

Votes: 8 1.8%

• Total voters
Creator and God are different things. And God is still a broad term, just because people believe in a God doesn't justify the "wager" being correct. As I said, you say you believe in God, but if Allah is the true God he wouldn't be too happy. Therefore you need to choose a God specific to a religion.

Can we move off this, it has gone on for a while.. You can VM me if you really want to carry it on.

God is God no matter what religion

Creator and God are different things. And God is still a broad term, just because people believe in a God doesn't justify the "wager" being correct. As I said, you say you believe in God, but if Allah is the true God he wouldn't be too happy. Therefore you need to choose a God specific to a religion.

Can we move off this, it has gone on for a while.. You can VM me if you really want to carry it on.

Allah is the Arabic word for God

Allah is a very sophisticated god, I like him. He made the dark people from mud and the pale people from sand. Or so I am told.

Allah is a very sophisticated god, I like him. He made the dark people from mud and the pale people from sand. Or so I am told.

Another example of a.......ah sod it. Can't be arsed with moronic comments like that

Look, man, as far as I'm aware that moronic comment is a fact. Two Muslim girls told me about it.

Simple answer - No but I realise that people are free to have their own beliefs.

i like the idea of religion, i think if the entire world was religious and god fearing then crime wouldnt exist but at the end of the day, the world is completely screwed up and what kind of god would let that happen

You do realise that by holding such outdated vitriolic views as you've posted here, you're even worse than them? I'd much rather have a conversation with a pleasant theist than an Atheist who claims that "All religious people are mad" and "anyone who follows the Bible should be imprisoned".

Contrary to your claims, many people choose to be religious. The Bible is (allegedly) over two thousand years old, I think we can forgive it some inaccuracies. Moreover, your last point is especially stupid: whilst I have already pointed out the imbalance when selecting Bible passages to take literally and which ones to do the opposite, the Bible can for the majority be pointed at as a pretty **** good example of how to live your life. Don't kill, don't be jealous, treat everyone fairly, and worship an invisible friend. (Okay, may have made the last one up. :P)

Granted I haven't made myself look very good in what I said.

However:

I would never display such raw feelings towards a religious person to their face, to try to change their views or anything. This was just my opinion at the time on the inside which is what was asked for on this thread. My post was actually a very non serious account of things. Too bad text doesn't allow for sarcasm :P

I do stand by what I said about disgusting parts in the bible though.
It's not up to followers to decide which parts are to be taken seriously or not; the bible has been around for longer than anyone who follows it, so surely no1 then has the right to come along and say which parts are to be believed. It seems there are more parts to not be taken seriously all the time, the more stuff that science dis-proves.

Sorry if I offended you or anyone with the "Tongue in cheek" prison comment. It's just religon is such and un-important topic for me that I discuss it like a soccer player you hate, you know- you don't really hate the guy just what he does on the pitch. It's kinda like that for me if you get me.

As i said, my previous post was just a tongue in cheek reaction in my mind and not something I would subject a religious follower to. My mother and father are religious and I have a good relationship with them and although my mother sometimes questions my lack of faith, I have never actually let that entice me to sway her from her beliefs.

God is God no matter what religion

God isn't even the same God in The Bible, never mind the differing religion's. The Old Testament is a vengeful, harsh God. The New Testament God is forgiving and all loving. So they're either different, or HUGELY contradictory. Is Zeus the same as the Christian God? If God was God religions would have little to differ on. Why does he behave and contradict himself between books if he is all knowing? There are huge differences between the God of the old testament, new testament and the Qur'an. Let alone all the others. If the God of Islam was the same as Christianity, why does he command his followers to convert non-muslims to Islam?

We're all human beings, are you going to say we're all the same person?

---------- Post added at 06:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:09 AM ----------

Allah is the Arabic word for God

Your point?

i like the idea of religion, i think if the entire world was religious and god fearing then crime wouldnt exist but at the end of the day, the world is completely screwed up and what kind of god would let that happen

So, you think that the Devil had the right idea?

A few things that have really gotten me for a while about Christianity is this,

Why when Jesus himself was a Jew and only there to spread the word of his God is there Christianity at all, when all Jesus wanted to do was spread the Jewish faith?

Also considering it is against Christianity to have a large wealth(another thing that has been changed to suit richer believers), why after costs to run the church etc is the Vatican the richest Business in the world? Not that those who run the church have ever been very good at it of course. I just don't understand how anyone can partake in such a religion that is so hypocritical ESPECIALLY at the top. A very small portion of what the church holds onto is ever given to charity. What is this money being built up for?

Well, I'm told that any day now an army will break through the crust from **** to our streets and a battle which the likes of have never been seen will commence between all that is good and all that is evil. The money is most likely for battle supplies and mercenaries.

A few things that have really gotten me for a while about Christianity is this,

Why when Jesus himself was a Jew and only there to spread the word of his God is there Christianity at all, when all Jesus wanted to do was spread the Jewish faith?

Also considering it is against Christianity to have a large wealth(another thing that has been changed to suit richer believers), why after costs to run the church etc is the Vatican the richest Business in the world? Not that those who run the church have ever been very good at it of course. I just don't understand how anyone can partake in such a religion that is so hypocritical ESPECIALLY at the top. A very small portion of what the church holds onto is ever given to charity. What is this money being built up for?

The **** off huge spaceship that the pope is hand building out of matchsticks for when we find out where in space 'Heaven' is. I bet it's on Uranus. I just know it.

But anyway, I wait in anticipation for this spaceship to be revealed, so you can all see I am not crazy. At all.

People fight for what they believe in.. If there was no religion, there would be much less fighting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_of_God

All the different names of God from all religions Allah is the Islamic name for God. God is the english word for God, Allah is the Arabic word for God both mean the same so how can Allah be upset because I have placed a wager on Gods existence when they are both the same?

Oh wow. So wait, you're telling me that God and Allah are the same person, so lets refer to him as God. So then God created multiple religions that were all different, but all related to him. And then told the followers of one religion to fight believers of another. So God is making all of his followers' fight between themselves? Holy ****, and I thought this religion lark was ****** messed up before. I frankly don't want to believe in a God that will make his follower's fight between themselves.

So, either God wants his followers to fight between themselves, or each God for each religion is different, thus the wager on believing in God is incorrect.

Oh wow. So wait, you're telling me that God and Allah are the same person, so lets refer to him as God. So then God created multiple religions that were all different, but all related to him. And then told the followers of one religion to fight believers of another. So God is making all of his followers' fight between themselves? Holy ****, and I thought this religion lark was ****** messed up before. I frankly don't want to believe in a God that will make his follower's fight between themselves.

So, either God wants his followers to fight between themselves, or each God for each religion is different, thus the wager on believing in God is incorrect.

I'll write a short response to your other post tomorrow cuz I'm too drunk right now but this one is wrong. First of all, Allah is the same God as the God of the Christians and Hebrews...Muslims believe in Abraham and his God but that Jesus came because they weren't getting it right, and then even after Jesus came people still didn't get it right, so then God sent Mohammed. I've heard that many Islamic scholars even accept the virgin birth of Jesus...also, it's very conceivable (if you believe in the idea of a benovelent God) that he revealed himself to all people (or at least influenced them) and every culture simply developed a different understanding of him. A one-size-fits-all religion wouldn't work. God never told the religions to fight each other, there's very little textual evidence for it if that's what you're looking for. The Quran clearly tells Muslims to respect people of the book. But you can't blame a religion for people following it poorly, which is the main mistake atheists make when they condemn religion.

1) Do you Believe In God

I believe that something had to do something, but to say in the question do you believe in god is unfair to the other religions, Something has to do something for human life to happen, but then that something has to come from somewhere, its an endless cycle. One that will never be addressed.

2) Are you Religious

No.

3) Why?

I just feel that there is not enough proof, all the religions point to a superior being and they may be right, but come on, I can hardly Worship Roman Abramovich.

God never told the religions to fight each other, there's very little textual evidence for it if that's what you're looking for.

"Fight and kill the disbelievers wherever you find them, take them captive, harass them, lie in wait and ambush them using every stratagem of war." - Qur'an:9:88
"Fight them until all opposition ends and all submit to Allah." - Qur'an:8:39
"Fight the unbelievers around you, and let them find harshness in you." Qur'an:9:123

That's just 3 of a whole load. I'm not sure what else "Fight them until all opposition ends and all submit to Allah." can mean myself.

Back