Do you write for a living? This is ridiculously good.

Thanks aplenty man. Really appreciate the kind words :) I write quite a bit. Constantly practicing. I want to write my own book or books one day.

View attachment 201243

View attachment 201242

Spartak Moscow vs Krasnodar

Pre-match Thoughts:

Krasnodar was in 2nd place for this one and a win here could do well after our inconsistent form. On paper we were really supposed to be the stronger team though and I needed to see that. I started in our go-to shape and had a bit of a selection dilemma because of some injuries. Notably Kombarov and Yura Movsisyan. This meant I started with Ze Luis in attack with Pereira and usual suspect Promes on the wings. The foreign players rule was a thorn today though because I had very few Russians available with the likes of Shirokov also unavailable and Glushakov not in the best condition after the international games. This meant Josue was on the bench and Bryzgalov started as our defensive screen.

View attachment 201241

Post-Match Thoughts:

So this one ended scoreless. I saw a much more solid unit on the field working together, especially when building from the back but we still lacked a sting in our attack and with only 1 striker fit, there wasn’t much we could do to change that. Ze Luis though was finding his time hard settling in and leading our line. Still without a first goal for the club it was something that needed to change. This was 5 games without a win though. We needed one fast.

View attachment 201240

View attachment 201239

View attachment 201238

Spartak Moscow vs Rubin Kazan

This one was a clash against two teams that should be doing considerably better than they are currently. We were only 1 place above them in the table with 3 points separating us. With my off-field life being quite a stir right now, it was hard to get myself fully focused on this game but with a couple late nights at the office, I was able to prepare myself as much as I could.

Not much changes to talk about except our top-scorer Ozbiliz coming back into the squad after injury problems. I asked the squad to prove their critics wrong in this one. There was a positive vibe going into the match and hopefully this could lead to something good.

View attachment 201237

We were notably better in the opening minutes, holding onto the ball well and controlling the game. This control gave us the chance to take the lead when we won a penalty when Bryzgalov was tripped in the box.

View attachment 201236

Our penalty-taker Dmitry was out with injury so Popov was the man to step up. It was his chance to score his first goal of the season and first goal for Spartak and he did just that. 1-0!

We continued our impressive display attacking with some real intent causing Rubin’s defense all sorts of problems. So when they conceded another problem after hacking down Promes, it was deserved.

View attachment 201235

Popov stepped up once more to double his tally. This time he went the other way and buried it like the first. 2-0!

Our only blot in the first half so far was a knock picked up by Ozbiliz who looked to have hurt his wrist after going down. “Just 3 minutes to half time. Hang on out there and we’ll get it looked at.”

Half-time came and I was delighted with our display which was arguably the best half of football we’ve played all season. I told the players this and sent them back out, making a change with Pereira coming on for the injured Ozbiliz.

I decided to give goal-scorer Popov a rest as the match went on and brought on Glushakov.

I also sent on Parshivlyuk for Kirill Kombarov.

We were comfortably seeing this game out, still looking dangerous as ever but most importantly keeping solid at the back for what was looking to be a certain clean sheet.

View attachment 201234

2 minutes from time though, something I never saw happening happened. A third penalty! The ever dangerous Promes danced his way into the box and was hauled down again. With Popov already off, Ze Luis stepped up to this one. He had a similar chance to score his first goal like Popov. He rolled his socks up and stepped up…

3-0!

That was that. I’m sure there would be a lot of talking about having a hat-trick of penalties but it was a game we clearly dominated and we desered goals from it. Our first win in 5 games, I was proud of the men that it came in this lethal fashion.

View attachment 201233

That's it for now :)

Man, i've been slack & fallen behind on this. Here's a bump while i catch up ;)

Took me a while to catch up, but it was worth it. Wonderful writing! You've taken the story of football management to a whole new level. Looking forward to more.

On a side note, your detailed writing about events occurring outside football management reminds me a bit of Enrico Pucci's Alfa Romeo stories in FM 15.

Man, i've been slack & fallen behind on this. Here's a bump while i catch up ;)

Haha, hopefully you catch up soon then :)

Absolutely mesmerising!

Glad you like it! Appreciate you following.

Took me a while to catch up, but it was worth it. Wonderful writing! You've taken the story of football management to a whole new level. Looking forward to more.

On a side note, your detailed writing about events occurring outside football management reminds me a bit of Enrico Pucci's Alfa Romeo stories in FM 15.

Thanks man. Means a lot. Patrick mentioned something similar about Enrico's stories. I haven't had the pleasure to follow one of his completely but I do know that they're good so means a lot.

View attachment 200481

Alexei sat on his flight that was heading to Tyumen with the team. The match was the furthest thing from his mind currently as he looked through my window out on the runway. His life was somewhat in a stir given all the events that happened in the weeks leading up to today. Let's recap:

The Apple That Falls From The Tree.

A few weeks earlier,
Seattle,

“Alexis!?” Frank shouted as he shut the door behind him. “Babe, are you home!? Alexis?”

View attachment 200464

“In here Frank,” she answered quietly. She was in the study sitting around her desk with Ramon sat across from her. She was slouched in the the chair, her hair let free to hang over her shoulders and her first two buttons of her shirt unbuttoned as a droplet of sweat rolled it’s way down from below her chin along her neck. Ramon was sitting with a glass of scotch in his hand and the documents Alexei had earlier given him at the cafe in the other hand. He had tossed his sweat drenched coat around the back of the chair he was on.

Frank walked into the sizeable room that had the drapes drawn shut with the young Alexander clutched in his hand. He looked at both Alexis and Ramon as he walked closer to the desk and around to the side she was sitting with a confused expression. Alexis reached for Alexander and hugged him, kissing his forehead before telling him to go play in his room. The toddler smiled and ran out of the room and upstairs.

“What’s going on? Who are those men outside the door!?” Frank asked hastily once Alexander was no longer in sight. “And why do you two look like you’ve just ran a marathon?”

“Something like that,” Ramon chuckled.

Alexis smiled as she sat up and held Frank’s hand. “How was your visit to your parents and why are you back so early?”

Frank, still confused, answered, “I heard there were reports of gunshots near the cafe you like going to. Police went to check it out but couldn’t find anything. I tried calling your phone but I couldn’t get through to you and got worried and came home."

Alexis looked across to Ramon and they almost seemingly communicated through their contact. Frank looked at them both and noticed something was going on.

“I was right...wasn’t I?” Frank said slowly. Sliding out of Alexis’ hand and stepping backwards. He ran his hand through his hair and paced the floor. Alexis and Ramon watched him closely.

“Right about what honey?” Alexis asked.

“I...I knew something was different about this family. Those gunshots that were reported. You two were involved somehow weren’t you? Your brother...Alexei, his business that you keep working on secretly for him...it’s something much bigger than what you let on,” Frank began dissecting what was begin to unravel before him.

Ramon smiled as he looked on. Just previously he told Alexis that he believed Frank knew everything but just decided not to see.

“It all started shortly after Alexander was born. I couldn’t help but get the feeling that we were being watched. I always felt uneasy but you were never bothered. Then that day...when we were at the park and I couldn’t find Alexander. I came over to tell you I didn’t know where he went. You said he must have sneaked off into the woods but didn’t seem nearly as panicked as I expected you to be. Then he was brought to us by a man and the look you shared, the small smile, as if you knew each other a while. Then I really opened my eyes...the glances from others around the park. The similar smile. The same faces popping up in other areas we go to. We were being watched over constantly. Guarded,” Frank continued in his revelation rant.

“That’s right Frank. That’s who those men outside are. Your personal guards,” Ramon said calmly to him. Adjusting in his chair.

“But...why? What...who...are they protecting us from?”

There was silence in the room this time as neither Alexis nor Ramon answered.

“Is it Lias? Is that what all this is about?” he asked seeking his answers.

Both their eyes opened wide and Ramon got out of his chair. “How do you know that name?”

Frank realized he had gotten somewhere. “So it is. Lias is what we’re hiding from!?”

View attachment 200463
Ramon, having no time for the back and forth, pulled his gun and pointed it at Frank. “How do you know that name?”

Alexis sat quietly shocked that Frank brought the name up. She didn’t know what to do. She knew Ramon wouldn’t shoot him though so she said nothing.

Frank seeing the gun backed himself against a wall with his hands up, frightened.“I...I was looking through Alexis’ files when I realized she was stressed out. I did my own digging and came across it.”

“What else do you know?” Ramon asked unmoved by his explanations.

“Not much more. I just came across the name and something to do with Armenia. Umm..umm..Bahia...Silvio...1989...Vitor..” Frank started to ramble.

“Wait...wait. Silvio? 1989?” Alexis got up asking Frank. She touched Ramon’s hand to get him to lower the gun and stood in front of Frank, holding his face to comfort him. “What did you find about Silvio and 1989 Frank?”

Soon Frank explained all to them as they all sat down in the study in a much calmer discussion.

“Your files showed a hole in finances that leaked to Bahia under the name Lias. The amount that was missing was the same amount used to pay for some sort of shipment in Armenia. I’m guessing this was to cover that hole. It wasn’t covered well though because there was a delay with the paperwork appeared on your desk and you were quick enough to realize it. So I further did research about this Lias name and Bahia wondering what kind of investment exactly Alexei was involved in. I ended up finding something about this man named Silvio though. He was reported as missing in 1989 by his family. This family still lives in Bahia through his two sons.”

“Silvio...it all started with him didn’t it? That night in dad’s office with Paulo,” Alexis asked looking at Ramon.

“What does this Silvio guy have to do with you guys?”

“Wait. You found out about Silvio by looking up Lias...how? And how is Vitor involved?” Ramon asked as she tried to make sense of everything.

“Oh. It isn’t the Vitor we know. This Vitor guy I saw was reported to be the last person Silvio was seen with. Vitor Lias,” Frank answered.

“That can’t be. It’s too much of a coincidence.” Ramon asked.

“What is?” Frank asked Ramon as he looked at a now wide eyed Alexis.

“The last name. Lias. It’s-” Ramon started.

“My mother’s maiden name.” Alexis finished.

I only wish you had more free time play FM and write this, so good

The Sins Of Our Father.
A few weeks earlier,
Moscow,

“What the **** do you mean they were shot at!?” Andrei shouted on his phone. He had just received a call from one of his guards in Seattle that was a part of Alexis’ security detail. He turned his car around from the direction he was heading a darted straight for Alexei’s house.

View attachment 200461

Before long he was at Alexei’s door knocking.
“Andrei! What a surprise. I thought Alexei said you were going out of town for a few days to check on some things for him,” Vera greeted him at the door with arms wide open and Vasily behind her.

“I was but something urgent came up. I need to talk to him. Is he here?”
Andrei responded as he hugged her and Vasily.

“He is. He’s out in the yard with Viktor kicking a ball around while Vasily helps his mommy around the house,” she reached down and picked Vasily up tickling him. “What’s wrong Andrei?” she asked leading him to outside.

“It’s Alexis. Something happened in Seattle.”
“Is she okay??” Vera asked quickly, startled by what she heard.

“Yes. For now but it’s important Alexei knows what happened right away. She was apparently the target of a hit. She and Ramon.”

“Viktor!” Vera shouted from the back door, “Come on in love. Your uncle Andrei is here to speak with your father. Come play with your brother inside for a bit!” She sighed as she put Vasily down, “He’s going to be furious about this. What’s going on Andrei?”

“I have no idea but something is developing and developing fast,” Andrei answered walking outside the door. He picked up a running Viktor and hugged him before handing him over to Vera. I looked on from the yard as he continued to kick the ball around.

“Andrei. What’s going on?” I asked as I kicked the ball over to him. He just let it roll pass. Now I knew it was something serious.

“Alexei. I just got some news from Seattle,” Andrei said in a serious tone.

He explained everything that went on outside the cafe in the alley. I felt my blood boil. Similar to the feeling I felt years ago before I shot Paul in the head in the diner.

“Tell me what you want to do and I’ll get it done,” Andrei said.

“Go get my sister Andrei. Bring our family here. Ramon, Frank, Alexander. Bring them all here. Find out who ordered those hits as well. I want bodies in the ground for this,” I said coldly.

“Understood.”

I only wish you had more free time play FM and write this, so good

Thanks man :) I've been trying to free some time up recently to update faster. I got two more updates coming up later.

View attachment 200451

Now here I was on a plane. Forced to sit back and do nothing. Andrei had landed in Seattle a week ago but still hasn’t returned with anyone. There was also very little communication between the group and I in Seattle and myself. Alexis, the last person I spoke to before I got on this plane, said I needed to focus on the team and let them handle everything. She said they would fly back to Russia the first week in October. When I asked what was taking them so long, all she said was “we’re gathering everything we need to get to the bottom of this.”

I didn’t know what to do with myself. This reminded me too much of my dreams. My fear was that they would come true, that I would lose everyone without having any influence on it. Ramon and Andrei promised me that they had everything under control however and that they didn’t feel in any danger. In fact, they were more concerned about my safety and had my own security detail amped up along with the one at the house with Vera since I was leaving the city twice in the weeks leading up before Andrei was back.

Vera was at ease about it all and encouraged me to also continue focusing on Spartak issues. She would stay up with me in the office and ask me any and every question she could think of management and listen to my answers until she fell asleep from boredom. She was something else with her support and I appreciated it.

It was almost time for takeoff. I closed my eyes and decided to rest for the flight over so I could focus on the game once I landed. Just before I did though I checked my phone and saw a message from an unknown number, and just like the ones I’ve been getting before it wished me luck on my game but this one was slightly different:

“Good luck in your game tomorrow. Don’t worry. They’re safe.”

View attachment 997912

View attachment 200450

FK Tyumen vs Spartak Moscow

This was the fifth round of the Russian Cup and our first game in it. We had traveled a decent trip here to take on second division team FK Tyumen. Once more the Russian rules were different with cup competitions apparently only allowing seven substitutes on the bench unlike the 12 allowed in the league. Still, I could only have 6 foreigners on the field though so I had to choose wisely.

I had a mostly new selection of players for this game to give players who haven’t been playing a chance and to see how my team could play set up in a different way. Rebrov, Parshivlyuk and Bocchetti all got nods in my backline. Shirokov, Glushakov, Jano and Movsisyan all got recalls to the starting line-up for this one as well after being absent before through injury or bad form.

View attachment 200449

My expectation was simple. I wanted to win comfortably.

View attachment 200448

It took 20 minutes and a big battle in the midfield for us to get a goal. Shirokov won the ball in the middle of the field and surged forward, finding Jano on the right. The 22 year old then smartly spotted and picked out Movsisyan’s run and the forward smashed home a shot.

View attachment 200447
4 minutes later some smart passing saw us get another goal. Shirokov was again at the center of it all from the middle. He first found a surging run into space from Parshivlyuk on the right and picked him out. The Russian right back who once came to me complaining about playing time and promptly left my office when I calmly told him to wait for it, played it back to Shirokov who then spread the ball out left to Bocchetti who was in acres of space. The Italian found Promes brilliantly in the box and the winger volleyed it home. 2-0.

Halftime came and I was understandably pleased with the squad and I let them know that.

Just 4 minutes into the half Bocchetti suffered a gashed leg so I withdrew him for Makeev.

My next substitution was sending on the young Guilev for the solid Shirokov who was tiring.

We put the game beyond doubt in the 67th minute. Jano showed his talent and skill when he danced his way in the past pasted challenges and smashed a low shot at goal that the keeper made a meal of and it rolled in the goal. The keeper should have done better but Jano did well. 3-0!

View attachment 200446

Pereira was my last substitution for one of our goalscorers Promes.

Shortly after, the man who fights for a place against the two mentioned previously scored again. Patient passing around the box found it’s way to Guilev and he played through Jano smartly. This time he made it much harder for the keeper to get a touch to it and put it home. 4-0.

View attachment 200445

Tyumen pulled one back when they won the ball in our half. A quick ball over the top of our defense was volleyed one-time by Chukanov. Rebrov stood no chance. 4-1.

That was it for the action afterward though and the referee brought this game to an end. It was a solid performance from us and our second win in as many games. I was pleased and welcomed the distraction.

View attachment 200444

View attachment 200443

View attachment 200442
View attachment 200441

FC Mordovia Saransk vs. Spartak Moscow
View attachment 200440

We flew to Saransk for this trip for our next league game. We were 6th in the table and a win here would put us level on points with 5th place Lokomotiv Moscow. We couldn’t overtake them though unless we won by a huge margin to improve our goal difference. It was fairly easy to choose my squad based on the last two results. Makeev and Mitryushkin came back into the squad in defense and Popov joined the starting 11 after resting in the last match. Everyone else was unchanged.

View attachment 200439

Our attacking form continued into this match and it showed 9 minutes in. The way we spread the ball around the field always pleased me and after seeing us switch wings no less than 3 times before this goal I had a small smile. Promes was picked out on the left side of the box in space by Popov and the tricky winger drove to the byline and set up a low cross that Movsisyan tapped in for the finish. 1-0.

View attachment 200438

Two minutes later though our defensive side of the game looked suspect and we paid the price. A cross into the box beat everyone and Sadaev smashed it into our goal. Game on.

As the game wore on we didn’t look solid enough and weren’t showing our superiority so I encouraged the players to play harder. “Come on, get stuck in out there. Get the ball back and own it!”

View attachment 200437

My calls were answered when we won the ball high up the pitch in the the 36th minute and played in Promes. He cut inside and was pulled down. It looked like a hard decision but the resulting penalty was smashed home by Shirokov.

View attachment 200436

Our pressing game led to another goal when Mordovia won a throw-in deep into their half. As soon as the ball was put back into play Jano snatched it from the feet of the defender, played it quickly to Movsisyan who squared it across the box with an unmarked Promes capitalizing on the surprised defense to get on the ball and tuck it home.

We could have scored a fourth when some great 2 touch passing around the box sent Promes in a dangerous position but the tricky dutch winger couldn’t place his shot, instead sending it wide. Just a little more composure there.

I was impressed at halftime but I was keen to make sure my defense knew that they didn’t do well in conceding and needed to play better in the second half with Mordovia no doubt keen to come back into this one.

View attachment 200435

Mordovia was back in with a shout in the 70th minute when Makeev inexplicably left Ivanov with acres of space. He used it well and smashed home a goal. 3-2.

Josue who was having a poor day was taken off for compatriot Romulo in the 70th minute.
We had a few chances to restore our 2 goal cushion in this one but poor finishing let us down. We got the win though and the 3 points and that was most important. The flight home would be a happy one, until I landed and waited to deal with my family who were supposed to be joining me in a week.

View attachment 200434

View attachment 199530

October 1, 2015

“We’re starting to look in good shape. Media still says we’re underachieving because of our position in the table but we’re only 4 points off second right now so ignore it I say!” Manfred said before taking a sip of his wine.

We were in a restaurant in Makhachkala having dinner the night before our game against local team Anzhi. We have been unbeaten in the last 5 games in all competitions, winning 3 on the run. Another win here will be good but Manfred was right, the media still targeted the team whatever way they could. It was up to us to to us now to be consistent in our games this month to change perceptions about us.

“The players are getting along well together too,” Otto said as he nodded in their direction at another table in the restaurant. They players were all there sitting and enjoying their conversation.

“Yep, it’s a good idea of yours encouraging them to spend time together Alexei,” Gerd Muller chipped in.

View attachment 199528
“I just want them to be a better unit. That’s how we’ll grow together,” I smiled before offering a toast to the staff for helping me settle into management. As soon as I did that my phone rang and I excused myself from the table. I walked outside calmly and looked at my phone. It was the phone I had that only my closest relatives could contact me on

“Uncle Vitor, hello,”
I answered. It’s been awhile since I’ve heard from him. Longer than I thought it would take him to contact me.

“Paulo. I hope I’m not disturbing,” he responded calmly.

“No, of course not. How are you uncle?”

“I’m confused Alexei. That is how I am,” he said sharply yet calmly.

I paused. “About what uncle?”

“I work hard for us. For you. Don’t I?” he asked, again calm as ever.

“Yes. This is without doubt.”

“Then why do you undo my work Paulo? Why hasn’t the Armenian shipment left port?” There was a small increase in his tone.

“There was something I needed to look at. I’m the one who stopped it.”

“What did you need to look at?”

“The order wasn’t for Armenians. It was for a Lias. That name is Brazilian Uncle Vitor. I needed to look into that,” I said as I paced around outside the restaurant.

“You do not look into orders Paulo. That isn’t our business. Our business is getting paid.” It reminded me of when I was younger and he would scold me about the ways of the organization

“My business is being secured and safe. Something didn’t feel right about the deal Uncle Vitor.”

“So you cancel it because of a gut feeling? This is why I handled this deal Paulo. You weren’t capable of doing it. Set things right. There are people waiting for their arms that they have paid for. If they don’t get it, you will really feel what it feels like to not be safe and secured,” Uncle Vitor said coldly before hanging up.

I stood outside shaking my head. I didn’t think anything of what Uncle Vitor said as he always spoke to me like that but I still didn’t trust this deal and I wouldn’t until I looked into it further on my own.

Last edited:
View attachment 198119

View attachment 198118

View attachment 198117

Anzhi Makhachkala vs Spartak Moscow

I brushed off last night’s phone call and ended the night well with my team and staff at dinner. I made sure everyone got a good night’s rest so we could come into the game fresh and ready. A win here could move us up as high as 3rd in the table as long at other results went our way as well. I had two changes for this one with Romulo and Ozbiliz coming into the team. Something I was looking for particularly in this game was a more solid display in our back-line and I made sure to tell my defenders that I wanted a performance.

It took a while and a real muscling for control of the match but the team took the lead around the half hour mark through an audacious effort from Promes. He was passed the ball from Shirokov and the young winger showed his impressive form is no fluke when he lashed an audacious shot at goal. It hit the underside of the crossbar and fell in. 1-0!

View attachment 198114
Just two minutes later we seized control of the game with a second goal when Shirokov, Ozbiliz and Movsisyan all linked up well. Shirokov played through Oz on the right side and just as soon as he was going to cut inside to release his shot he was tackled, but the loose ball fell to Movsisyan who was 1 on 1 with the keeper and he made no mistake.

The ruthlessness I desired kept showing it’s face when Promes and Makeev linked up very well on the left side with the latter being freed by a through ball by the former. He took it to the byline and slid a low-cross in the box and Movsisyan made no mistake.

“Brilliant work. Keep at it!” I applauded from the touchline.

Half-time came and I praised the team for their first-half display. I also used the chance to substitute Bryzgalov for Tasci as the 22 year old picked up a knock to his shin.

We continued to look solid right through out but Shirokov was tiring so I brought on Glushakov as his replacement.

Unfortunately Anzhi were able to pull one back from a corner. 3-1. With 12 minutes to go I didn’t think we faced any threat though I am disappointed we still couldn’t keep a cleansheet. Even so I made adjustments so we could see the game out comfortably.

That we did to make it unbeaten in 5 games with 4 back-to-back wins and a temporary place in third place.

Welp...as a russian-brazilian from São Paulo myself I suppose I gotta follow this :D (even more coincidentally if theres a team I'd pick to support or manage in Russia it would likely be Spartak...are you sure you're not just making a drug dealing version of me ?! lol )

Welp...as a russian-brazilian from São Paulo myself I suppose I gotta follow this :D (even more coincidentally if theres a team I'd pick to support or manage in Russia it would likely be Spartak...are you sure you're not just making a drug dealing version of me ?! lol )

Haha, shhh Paulo! You're supposed to be undercover :p Thanks for following man ^^)

View attachment 197692

October 4, 2015

Moscow,

After the win against Anzhi yesterday we flew back to Moscow almost immediately per my request because I got a text following the win from Andrei saying they had landed in London and waiting for a connecting flight to Moscow. The plan was to meet at a hotel tonight and I was already in the lobby waiting anxiously for everyone to come down and meet me. Vera, Oksana and the children all went upstairs ahead of me as someone needed to stay with Alexander while everyone else met.

View attachment 197691

30 minutes of waiting and watching the elevator doors later, I saw the doors open again and out came a group familiar to my eyes this time. Andrei was in front flanked by Ramon and Frank with Alexis in the center. She almost looked guarded among them which I had no problem with.

I stood up and walked towards them to greet them. “What took you so long?”

Alexis maneuvered around the men in front of her and hugged me tightly. “Alexei. I’m so happy to see you.”

“And I, you. How are you sister?” I asked as I examined her face and arms for bruises.

She giggled and held my hands together. “Stop embarrassing me in front of everyone. I’m fine. I’m a big girl. I even shot someone.”

I looked over her shoulder and saw an unsettled Frank. “I’m guessing he knows now,” I said looking back at Alexis.

“He does. He’s also been very understanding and helpful of the situation,” she said warmly. You could tell she was hinting at me to play nice.

“Very well. Let’s take this to somewhere more private then shall we?”

View attachment 197690
We moved our meeting from the lobby to a conference room at the hotel that we had booked. There we got into deeper discussion. I introduced formally introduced myself to Frank as Paulo Barbosa and explained to him the need for my name change and why secrecy, trust and loyalty are an essential part of my family. Ramon recounted the events of the shooting in the alley in Seattle and Alexis explained to me how Frank had helped them uncover information about the possible meaning behind the name “Lias.”

“Natalia Lias-Barbosa,” I said quietly as I reflected on everything I just heard. “I knew the name sounded familiar.”

“Yeah. She wrote her name at the back of all of our story books when she was younger,” Alexis said.

“When she got sick she said she wanted you two to remember her. So she came up with ways to leave a part of her. That was one of her ways. She would always read to you before bed so she wrote her own stories for you and signed the back of the book,” Ramon recalled.

“I remember her books. I kept one under my pillow. I actually still have it,” Alexis said.

“How? We lost everything in the explosion,” I asked puzzled.

“Um...” Alexis hesitated.

“You said you spoke to your uncle about the Armenian shipment?” Andrei asked quickly, shifting the focus.

“Oh...yeah. He wasn’t very pleased about it. I think I’m going to get Mikhail to push it through,” I answered.

“What? No. We need to know why he wants this deal to go through this badly and why his name turned up with Silvio’s,” Ramon said.

“Wait. You guys seriously think that man was uncle Vitor? It’s just a coincidence that he has the same first name and last name of two people related to us no?” I asked. There was a silence in the room now with no one making eye contact. “You...you guys really do believe it. Are you serious? This is family we are talking about. If that was indeed uncle Vitor, we are accusing him of far more than a shady arms deal but the murder of father and uncle Bruno. We are accusing him of uprooting our lives. For what? He would never do that.”

“Why don’t we just...ask him?” Frank joined in.

“We are not questioning my uncle about murdering his brothers. It’s ludicrous!” I shouted slamming my fist on the table.

“Alexei. Calm down. We just need to look at the facts,” Alexis said calmly.
“She’s right Alexei. It’s too coincidental to not be concerned about. Even if it isn’t your uncle, he must know something. The name Lias has popped up too frequently now. He would have recognized it just like Ramon did,” Andrei reasoned.

“Enough of this! Uncle Vitor is not involved in this. He loves Alexis like a daughter, he raised us both. Why would he order a hit on her!? I continued to rage. I couldn’t believe the room was against him.

“Did he really raise us?” Alexis said leaning forward to me from where she was sat. “Paulo...think back. Uncle Vitor was hardly around. He was more concerned with A Sombra than us. Ramon raised us,” she said softly.

I remained quiet still stewing inside.

“Where is he?” Frank questioned, “If you believe he is really as caring as you say...where is he? I’m sure he knows that Alexis and Ramon were attacked yet his concern is more about this shipment. I’ve been to many of our family holidays and events and I’ve only seen him once or twice.”

“He didn’t show up for your first match as a manager either. He watched us from the park that night. Something’s just not right there Alexei,” Andrei continued on Ramon’s point.

I got up from my chair. “I’ve heard enough. This isn’t family. Questioning one of our own like that! Despicable!”

“Alexei! Come on,” Alexis pleaded.

“No! I’m calling Matthias to put through the shipment. That’s my final decision. You do whatever you want as a group but no one confronts uncle Vitor. That is my final word on that. I’m disappointed in you all. I don’t wish to speak to any of you in the coming days,” I said coldly as I opened the door. “Alexis. I expect you and your family to stay in Russia for a while. Until I have credible proof that you’re now safe. End of discussion.”

“But Ale-”

“Let him go,” Ramon said as I left the room and closed the door behind me. “I told you he would never believe it.”

There was a collective sigh around the room. “What now then?” Frank and Andrei asked.

“We should have told him…” Alexis said with her face in her hands before running her fingers through her hair.

“We should have but we couldn’t have. To announce that we think his uncle is betraying him...then drop that on him? He wouldn’t be able to handle it all. You saw how mad he was just now. Give him time,”Ramon said.

“Everyone but him knows now. Including Vera and Oksana from our meeting back in the room. It doesn’t feel right keeping it from him,” Andrei said as he got up from sitting on the table.

“Ramon is right. There’s a lot on his shoulders right now. Everyone who knows will keep quiet. All he needs now is time and we’ll see what he does before we talk to him again. Or before he talks to us again. He may ignore us for weeks. He’s like that. Just keep a distant eye on him Andrei. Please,” Alexis said getting up too.

“I will. I had already spoken to Mathias about the shipment just in case. He’ll have it massively delayed. Another month at least. It gives us enough time to make a decision and a move,” Andrei explained as everyone was now up and heading for the door.

“Very well. It’s decided. We wait. Everyone keep an eye on him but don’t approach him.”

Come on maaannnnn! You can't leave me hanging like that!! I want more!!