What a game with Germany man really thrilling ! Good luck with Argentina and hope you will make it all way to the golden medal !

It was one of the best game's I took charge of in FM to be honest. Non stop action! Thanks man, hopefully we can do it.

View attachment 187102

View attachment 187101

Our final game of the group was a crunch clash vs South Africa. We were only ahead of them by a point and a loss here and a win for Germany would see us out of the competition so it was imperative that we won and have our own faith in our hands. Kranevitter was suspended for this one, though I didn’t mind as it meant he would be rested for a potential quarter final match.

The selection for this one was made with two things in mind. 1. Win. 2. Rest.

I went in with a change in shape that relied on my more rested midfielders than my fatigue attackers. This was largely reminiscent of the style I used at Spartak Moscow. Hopefully it could get me a win here.

View attachment 187100

Kick off.

We almost took the lead 5 minutes in when a cross to Dybala was bundled over for a corner.

Dybala again got a low cross from De Paul in the box, this time he was unmarked and somehow the new Chelsea player blasted the chance over the bar. Madness. He hasn’t been playing very well.

Just when I saw Dybala again miss another chance, I was going to blow a fuse but he was bailed out by Iturbe who got on to the loose ball Dybala missed in the box. The winger smashed it in. 1-0!

Half an hour into the game and we were dominating possession and the game with about 70% of it. We only had 1 shot on target however so I was disappointed.

Speaking of disappointment, Dybala again had a chance but this time the young forward showed everyone that he does indeed have class when he got in on goal and smashed in a shot. 2-0!

Halftime came and we led. In the other game I heard news that Germany were already up 5 against China. They were definitely contenders for this tournament. I praised the players for their dominance in this one and sent them back out.

My player of the tournament so far, Iturbe then got another goal for us when he was played in on goal. He showed his clinical side and got his third goal of the tournament.

By the 75th minute I asked the players to slow things down again as I needed them fit for the next stage in the competition. They did just that and the ref called time on the game just a minute after normal time.

3-0 and the quarter finals. I was beginning to think maybe I could indeed win this.

View attachment 187099

View attachment 187098

View attachment 186894

August 10, 2016
Rio,

I was in my hotel room relaxing when the quarter-final and semi-final matches were announced. First we would take on Denmark and if we made it past them, we would then face either Sweden or holders Mexico. That was somewhat good news for me as Germany, Brazil and Portugal all had to go through each other first. Neither Denmark nor Mexico would pose easy opponents though so I needed to be ready. I made sure the players understood that they needed to get as much rest for today while I would go over my tactical plans with Frank who volunteered to help.

View attachment 186893
Vasily and Viktor were especially enjoying this trip as they were finding the Olympics fun and were off with Vera and Roman to see other events. Meanwhile Andrei and Oksana were touring around the city with Alexis and Alexander.

Meanwhile,
Sao Paulo,

Ramon, Bruno and Renan all met at the house. They were in the office that started all this chaos in their lives. Bruno was puffing on a cigar and reading a newspaper by the window while Renan and Ramon chatted at a desk.

“Our campeao is through to the next round!” he said loudly, demanding attention.

Renan and Ramon looked on with smiles of approval.

“He’s good at this isn’t he Ramon? You’ve gotten the chance to see him develop as a manager. How was it?” Renan asked.

“He’s passionate. Always reading and studying. I don’t think he knows what A Sombra is anymore. He no longer inquires about how things are running or deals or anything of the sort. It’s football or family for him these days and it’s infectious,” Ramon said as he poured himself a glass of scotch.

“That’s good. I never wanted him in the life of A Sombra. I wanted everything to end with me honestly but now Vitor has control of it. We need to stop this.”

“He only has control of the western side. These parts and even then, it isn’t much control Renan. You’re revered and many are loyal to you. Many know the situation and will only follow you.”

Taking the cigar out his mouth and blowing smoke in the air, Bruno said “He’s right Renan. Vitor is outnumbered no matter how you look at it. Alexei has an entire western division under his control along with Ramon’s boy, Andrei. They are great leaders.”

“Yes, that Andrei boy is really like you Ramon. His father would have been proud. Very well then. Our information says that Vitor raised Silvio’s children as his own. Carlos and and Rafael Vargas. From what we gathered, Carlos is much more loyal to Silvio than Rafael is right?”

“Yeah. A connection of mine in Bahia says that Rafael is a bit hot-headed. Also a man of his own mind. They say they saw him and Vitor in a heated argument once while Carlos tried to intervene. He only ended up storming off,” Bruno explained as he now took a seat at the desk.

“Hmm. He could be dangerous to us, Vitor or himself. Which one will it be?”

“I’m not sure. Alexei said he doesn’t see a killer in him. Just a boy who lost his father and is hurt. I’d say Carlos is more dangerous given his loyalty to Vitor,” Ramon said giving his input.

“So do we go kidnapping Silvio’s kids in hopes it will draw Vitor out? Right now we have no location on him. I’m sure word has got to him that we’re alive Renan. He won’t come looking for us so easily.”

“Yeah, it was a smart plan to keep us together and moving but soon we have to settle down. That’s what Alexei wants and it’s best for your grandchildren to be situated in one place. I think we need to get settled first. That’ll lure Vitor out more than taking one of the Vargas boys.”

Renan eased back into his chair and thought about it for a while, while Bruno continued to read the article about the Olympics and Ramon drank his scotch.

“Okay. Let’s have Alexei finish off this tournament then decide where he wants to go next. We’ll settle down there and hope it brings out Vitor. In the meantime, Bruno, can you get an eye on Rafael and Carlos? I want them studied and followed. We need to know what we’re up against.” Renan gave his orders in his typical charismatic but commanding voice.

Ramon and Bruno nodded before Bruno slid the paper across the table so Renan could have a look at his son’s accomplishments.

View attachment 186333

View attachment 186332

It was time for the quarter-finals of the Olympic Games. We were up against Denmark in this one. I opted for the same system because of the tired players in the squad. Our midfielders still had legs to run some more. Messi was drafted back in for this one with Iturbe getting a chance to rest for now. Kranevitter also comes back in after his suspension.

View attachment 186331

Kick off.

The first chance of the game came from Denmark in the 3rd minute when Poulsen muscled his way into the box. His shot went straight to Rulli however.

A minute later we put ourselves in front. A throw-in to Denmark deep into their half was taken. Christensen was the intended target before Messi intercepted the ball and raced in alone on goal. He wasn’t going to miss that. 1-0.

View attachment 186330

We almost doubled our lead from a corner when Noguera rose highest. The keeper got behind it well to keep the effort out.

Corners were always going to be a problem against this Denmark team and it showed when they almost leveled from one. Luckily their effort smashed the post and went out.

We almost doubled the lead again when Messi cleverly played through Dybala but the Chelsea star was denied by the keeper.

Not long after we got the double though when Romero turned on the ball neatly after a throw-in. He saw Dybala’s run and picked him out perfectly and this time the striker got his goal. 2-0!

View attachment 186329

We continued to show our dominance and were awarded with another goal, this time from Cartabia who got on the end of a low cross from Komar who was playing as the left fullback this game.

The referee brought the first half to a close and I praised the players for taking such a commanding lead. I also used the break to make a substitution as Noguera needed a break. Triphichio was his replacement.

2nd Half

Dybala was the next player to be called off to get a break in the 59th. Iturbe was his replacement.

We continued to dominate despite the tired legs and looked for opportunities to further our lead and I was impressed. Gil and Lucas Romero were especially commanding in our midfield.

In the 73rd minute they linked up with crisp passing with the latter playing through Messi on goal and once more the Barcelona ace put it beyond the keeper. 4-0 and this one was certainly over.

View attachment 186328
I asked the players to slow things down and take a breather. Injuries were now the enemy.

In the 83rd minute Denmark won a corner and then a penalty from that corner. The resulting effort was saved by Rulli though and the score remained 4-0.

That was the last noteworthy thing in this match and we were on to the semifinals.

View attachment 186327

View attachment 186326

View attachment 186073

Things only got harder from here with tired players in the squad but we were ready for this semi-final clash against Mexico. The North American side made light-work of their quarter final opponents beating them 4-1 so I knew we were in for a tough game. We were the earlier game of the two semi-final games today with Germany and Portugal the other two teams playing.

I had no favorites for a winner as both teams would be tough having played them both already during my time as a manager here.

Once more I chose to rotate with Messi dropping to the bench to keep him somewhat fit. Kranevitter was also on the bench because another yellow card could see him miss a potential final. The good news was that Patricio Romero and Vietto who were both injured were fit enough to make the bench for this one.

View attachment 186067

Kick off.
Mexico showed their intent from the start when they broke in on goal but a poor finish from Espericueta kept the score at 0-0.

Dybala replied with a scorching shot from distance that barely missed the bar.

12 minutes in we got the lead from the unlikeliest of events. A corner. De Paul sent a teasing ball in that was nodded down by Dybala. Noguera was on hand to bundle it into the goal. 1-0!

Dybala this time turned provider when we launched a great counter that saw him free and alone on the right. He whipped a cross in that saw an onrushing De Paul get to the ball with a fierce volley but the keeper kept him out firmly and the defense scrambled it away. So close!

“Keep going out there. Fight fight fight. I know you’re tired but dig in!” I barked from the touchline encouraging the youngsters.

We finally doubled our lead from a well worked set-piece. A ball that was seemingly harmlessly floated over to the left, found Komar. He then quickly found an unmarked De Paul in the center of the box and the winger made no mistake from that close. 2-0!

Halftime.

At the half, I showered praises as I loved the spirit I saw. Mexico had a few more players that were fresher so they had more possession but we were finishing our chances well and that’s why we were leading. Now we just needed another solid half and we would be in the final.

I made a change and put Tripichio on for Moreira.

Dybala continued to look lively and won us a corner. From this corner, we once again got a goal This time from a thumping Zuculini header. The officials said it took a deflection off Vela however and credited him the own goal. I disagreed.

In the 60th minute I moved De Paul to the middle to bring on Messi and give Lucas Romero a break.

5 minutes later Messi got in on the action by laying on the assist for the ever dangerous Dybala who finally got his goal after all his work in this game.

Patricio Romero got his debut in the tournament in the 75th minute when I took goalscorer Noguera off.

In typical fashion, I told them to slow things down for the remainder of the game.

Iturbe didn’t get that memo though when the want-away Roma star surged down the wing and delivered a low cross in. Messi got to it with a good volley that was parried by the keeper but Dybala pounced on the rebound. 5-0!

A lovely goal saw Mexico pull one back when Espericueta launched a fierce volley from outside the box.

5-1 and that’s all she wrote. We were in the final. A point of concern was Iturbe complaining about his heel at the end of the game.

View attachment 186065

View attachment 186066

Congrats on the win mate, Hopefully a win in the final!! Intrigued to see were you land next!

This was it. I couldn’t quite believe it and couldn’t sleep last night instead looking over the tapes of Germany’s games leading to this match. We played them first in our group and finished 3-3 but now there was no drawing. Someone had to lose. Before the game father called and told me he would be coming to see the final along with everyone else. This made me feel the pressure even more.

Iturbe and Moreira were both absent for this one through injury and suspension respectively. Kranevitter came back into the starting 11 along with Messi and Cartabia. The Romero duo were chosen to marshal the midfield.

“I want to thank you all for giving me everything you’ve got in the tank to get this far. Now I ask you to push past your limits and leave everything out there on the pitch to walk away with the trophy. Let’s do this for the fans!”

View attachment 184977

Kick off.

Germany started out in quick fashion when they broke on the right from the kick off. A teasing ball was sent into the box but no one could get to the end of it and it rolled out for a throw.

6 minutes later we took the lead though. Cartabia played through Dybala who chipped a ball into the box that Gil Romero nodded home brilliantly. 1-0!

View attachment 184976

Muller tried to bring his team back into it when he got into the box and took a powerful shot. Rulli got down well in unorthodox fashion to deny him with his leg.

A free-kick from Kroos found it’s way to Emre Can who headed wide. Close effort there.

Cartabia looked like a man on a mission this game when the winger linked up well with Messi and Dybala well in the first half. Being denied by the keeper twice.

In the 31st minute Cartabia found his way on the left sid of the box and slid a cross across the face of goal. Dybala was quickest to it and tapped it in from close-range. 2-0!

View attachment 184975

Cartabia again popped up on the edge of the box from a corner. Messi found him brilliantly but the winger’s shot blazed over the bar.

Halftime and I was delighted. 2-0 up against a tough team in the final, I could barely hide my grin. “You’ve done brilliantly. Absolutely brilliant stuff. Just one more half and you’re champions!”

Second Half

Patricio Romero came on for the very tired Noguera for the remainder of this. Komar moved into the heart of defense.

Cartabia continued his display when he beat his man to get to the byline. He was tripped up in the box but showed determination to get back on his feet and still deliver his cross. Dybala got to the end of it but his shot was blocked by a defender then the ball was scrambled away.

We continued to create chance after chance in the opening minutes of the second half but got no goal for it.

53 minutes in Muller flashed a shot just wide of the mark. It was their best chance of the game so far.

Dybala hit the back of the net again, this time played through clean by Gil Romero but it was ruled offside. I had no complaints.

Mascherano picked up a knock in the 63rd minute that looked painful. Our combative captain signalled for a change and with no available natural defenders, I asked Kranevitter to fall into the spot while Zuculini came on to screen the defense.

My entire bench started celebrating for what just happened. Romero danced past three challenges in the center of the field before finding Messi on the right. The Barcelona man then found Dybala near the box. The 22 year old didn’t even take a touch before he blasted a ball at goal that flew into the top corner. Absolutely spectacular goal that may have just sealed the win for us!

View attachment 184974

After that goal, I gave him the chance to come off and take a much needed breather. Sublime display. Vietto was on for his first and only minutes of the tournament after recovering from his injury.

In the 77th minute Reus raced into the box and Tripichio in what can only be described as a rush of blood raced across and hacked him down for a penalty.The winger then stepped up and put away his effort in the top corner. 3-1.

That was a small blot on a perfect game so far but it got even smaller in the 84th minute. A great counterattack saw my front three link up well. Messi picked up the ball from the midfield then played it across to Cartabia who tapped it forward and into space for Vietto. The Atletico man took a touch and then slotted it home. 4-1. Brilliant.

I told the players to slow things down to preserve this lead and avoid injuries as they had their club season ahead. Then just shortly after it was confirmed.

View attachment 184973

We did it! We had won the cup and another adventure in my managing career had come to an end with great success. I would celebrate this tonight with my family then look toward the future. I was eager to land another club job now.

View attachment 184972

Congrats on the win mate!! Did it easy in the end! Can't wait to see where Alexei ends up next.

Congrats on the win mate!! Did it easy in the end! Can't wait to see where Alexei ends up next.

Thanks man. The change of approach after that game against Germany in the group stages really helped.

Great stuff as always! Keen to see where Alexei ends up :)

Thanks buddy. That's coming soon! :)

What a win in the final man !! Congragulations !!!!

Appreciated ^^)

What a great win against the Germans!! Next stop....?

It was a solid performance :) Next stop...is back to club football ;)

View attachment 184341

View attachment 184340

View attachment 184334

View attachment 184333

I sat in my hotel room around a desk feeling rather smug as I looked at the various Olympic Games' reviews across various websites. We had swept all awards across the board with Chelsea new-boy Dybala winning the golden boot and goal of the tournament. After being particularly hard on him in the early stages of the tournament, he came into his own and showed his talent. I really enjoyed working with such a talented group of players and only hoped I'd get a similar chance when I went on my search for another job. A call from Leonid, Spartak's owner, made me realize that I missed day-to-day management a lot as he congratulated me and told me he had listened and improved the training facilities.

View attachment 184332
Now it was time to leave Brazil and my post as the U23 Argentina manager so I decided to pen an open letter:

To the Argentine Football Association,

I thank you for making my time here a truly remarkable experience that I can now use to help further my development into a top manager. Everyone involved, from the staff to the players, have behaved in exquisite fashion and has made me feel like one of your own. I'm glad I could provide the success such a footballing organization deserves. I wish all the players continued success at their individual club's in the upcoming season and hope one day our paths intertwine again. I extend the same wish to Marcelo Gallardo and the dedicated FA that are backing him for the years to come.

Sincerely yours,

Alexei Ivanov.

View attachment 183725
Part 1

December 28, 2016

I kept mumbling and fumbling words from inside the room. pacing back and forth with the book in my hand, trying to speak my sentences fluently. Then I came to a stop right in front of my mirror and examined myself. I didn’t look a day older despite all the stress I’ve faced in the last few months.

Finding Vitor proved harder than I imagined it would been as the old man was as elusive as they came. After the Olympics we stayed in Brazil for a while to celebrate my successes while father, Bruno and Ramon continued their search for information on Vitor. I spent most of the time with my boys so Vasily and Viktor could see parts of Brazil and experience the culture. After much discussion with Vera, we decided to tell them exactly why we were moving around so much and everything about the family’s past they needed to know. Even though they were only 3, they understood most things and showed a lot of personality. Both well behaved, expressive and energetic. Viktor was the louder one of the two however and showed a greater interest in football, while Vasily, who also showed an interest in the game, was quieter and would sometimes choose to spend time with his mother or aunt inside, reading or cooking. They also loved spending time with their cousin Alexander, who loved his fair share of sports thanks to Frank’s influence. Then of course, Roman is like family to them, just as his father Andrei is family to me. I spent time with all of them as a group on a number of occasions and this was the most fun I had over the last few months.

The least fun was spent chasing Vitor’s shadow. Though the information we gathered proved useful, leading us to uncover Vitor’s safe-houses and the weapon load we had shipped, we could never find him as he kept moving. We also discovered that Vitor was in control of a moderately sized faction of A Sombra who had sworn their loyalty to him. This led to a lot of gunfights in remote locations. Jungles to warehouses, it became tiring. Both sides had casualties and Vera, Alexis and Oksana’s worries started to reach their limits so it was then decided that enough was enough. The chase needed to end and we needed to move and settle down as was promised after I left Russia. With no immediate threat from Vitor so far, father agreed that it was time to slow things down and let them play out.

That enabled us to be right here today. We were back living in the Bahamas for the time being. With the search ending, we were finally able to experience a normal life. I was able to be a father, a husband, a brother without hiding behind a door to live my shady double-life. The only reason I hid behind doors these days was to study tactics and familiarize myself with the modern game and it’s players and managers. I kept an eye an eye and an ear out for potential management positions back in Europe until I finally heard about an interesting opening and applied. I waited a couple of days and then I finally received a call about an interview. I was ecstatic and elated and booked an immediate flight to the U.S.A where I had agreed to meet the chairman in question.Within days of that initial interview I then got a call about backroom changes that I may be interested in making if hired. If that wasn’t a positive sign, I didn’t know what was.

View attachment 183724

After a long phone call about staff changes, it was confirmed shortly after that I was being hired. I told everyone about the fantastic news and started making the necessary arrangements to move to the country that would become our home for the foreseeable. A home that I hoped wouldn’t be blown up this time around.

View attachment 183723

That's right, I'm not saying where yet :p but I did leave a hint.

Last edited:
Inter Milan will be a very good challenge! I still cant find the hint anywhere though haha!