But do you really think Cleverley and Anderson are strong enough in the defensive aspect of the game to be able to play in matches versus Chelsea, City, Liverpool etc. eventually an Arsenal team in form (if this happens this year)

yes and no!

Yes if they start together week in week out, play well together, have confidence going from game to game...

No, that is why I have created the tactic EXACTLY for this reason! the Cml is the more defensive supporting mid i.e: Fletcher and the Cmr is the slightly more attacking supporting mid, Anderson! :)

So you seriously think they posses the defensive and perhaps also physical qualities needed to be in the premier league. I know Anderson is rather Strong at the ground, but in the air he is pretty vulnerable and i'd say in defense cleverley ain't really shining much anywhere.

dude, we are talking about emulating the tactic/approach United currently are using the Premier League :) it's not about real life, if you want to chat about United in real life use this thread: http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/english-football/72998-manchester-united-thread.html otherwise we will discuss the emulating of the tactics... cheers

194449d1315211027-deathslayer%99-raikan007-man-utd-v-chelsea-stats_-match-stats-.png

194450d1315211027-deathslayer%99-raikan007-man-utd-v-chelsea-stats_-match-stats-2.png

194440d1315210489-deathslayer%99-raikan007-barcelona-v-man-utd-stats_-match-stats-.png

Well to emulate their tactic you need to know what they will be using, you cannot really be sure how they will play in the future, each of us have our own thoughts about it, i do agree though about your thoughts on the current approach, but i'm quite sure it will change when the regular players are back in shape. :)

The screenshots ain't really worth much if you do not show year they are taken and the squad used :)

No offense intended.

for one it was the 1st season on the official 11.3 upate :)

number 2, I was unbeaten in every competition!

194461d1315212006-deathslayer%99-raikan007-manchester-united-man-utd_-tactics-4.png

194458d1315212006-deathslayer%99-raikan007-manchester-united-man-utd_-fixtures-.png

194459d1315212006-deathslayer%99-raikan007-manchester-united-man-utd_-fixtures-2.png

194446d1315211027-deathslayer%99-raikan007-league-table.png

194439d1315210204-deathslayer%99-raikan007-wayne-rooney-profile_-attributes-.png

194442d1315210489-deathslayer%99-raikan007-barclays-premier-league-stats_-player-stats-.png

no one cares about the future, we are referring to how they have played in the first 2 games of the league and the Community Shield! we as fans/supporters should be ecstatic on how they have come out and played as we have not seen a style like this in years! you really just want to argue a point that is completely irrelevant just for the sake of it :)

I for one do care about the future and i want to try emulating the tactic they will be playing this year and as i've said it will definately be a more fluid one like back in 2008, which btw. is not that many years ago.

And it sounds like you think that the only players united have got capable of playing like this in midfield is Cleverley and Anderson, i've stated my opinion on this point and am done discussing it.

You can troll as much as you want, i disagree with you and you telling me im wrong won't really convince me.

Referring to the game and your save, i'd just like to point out you changed the team, that is just wrong. When you wanna emulate them you should use their own players. It's not really hard to go unbeaten a whole season if you go spend billions at the transfer market.

Over and out.

1) you are trolling, I am staying on topic
2) that was the begining of my 2nd season, I bought Robben, Lukaku and Steklenburg :) the 1st season I signed Young and De Gea, Jones did not want to enter contract talks! so trust me, it was the original team bud!
3) of course I do not think that, I think Carrick is one of the most underrated Cm's in the league, I love him!
4) I think you are just jealous, where is your "emulated tactic" and results then?

Balanced – This is your best option if you're looking for a middle ground between a Fluid and Rigid mentality. With this you'll divide the team into attacking, supporting and defending roles; defenders will sit back, midfelders will sit in the middle to support and attackers will push up to pressure the opposition (depending on their duties) – this will give you the ability to set the entire team up in a manner that will allow them to be much more dynamic in their attacking and defending – without restricting them from being occasionally creative (like either of the Rigid philosophies can do) and it will also keep them from being as exploited as they might be with a Fluid philosophy. It's important to note that this mentality will put more emphasis on the duties and roles your players are set to, as they'll be using those as instructions for their positions on the pitch. If you've got a lack of balance in the duties or roles which the players are set to, it will afect the team movement.

Could this describe united's philosophy heard a few times teams using a holding mid(s) so the front 4 can focus on attacking

Balanced – This is your best option if you're looking for a middle ground between a Fluid and Rigid mentality. With this you'll divide the team into attacking, supporting and defending roles; defenders will sit back, midfelders will sit in the middle to support and attackers will push up to pressure the opposition (depending on their duties) – this will give you the ability to set the entire team up in a manner that will allow them to be much more dynamic in their attacking and defending – without restricting them from being occasionally creative (like either of the Rigid philosophies can do) and it will also keep them from being as exploited as they might be with a Fluid philosophy. It's important to note that this mentality will put more emphasis on the duties and roles your players are set to, as they'll be using those as instructions for their positions on the pitch. If you've got a lack of balance in the duties or roles which the players are set to, it will afect the team movement.

Could this describe united's philosophy heard a few times teams using a holding mid(s) so the front 4 can focus on attacking

Hold on. Are we saying now that united play a more balanced philosophy, or is this jst what works best with them in fm. In real life, i though ferguson was allowing his team to play a bit more fluid like back in 2008 with our ronaldo-tevez-rooney team?

Hold on. Are we saying now that united play a more balanced philosophy, or is this jst what works best with them in fm. In real life, i though ferguson was allowing his team to play a bit more fluid like back in 2008 with our ronaldo-tevez-rooney team?

Just thinking out loud its the way its read, you could possible achieve fluidity with increased freedom and free role

News

Anyone got something new to add to this after the last few games?

well it has sort of gotten a bit worse since Cleverly got injured, Carrick and Fletcher were rather average against Benfica but we did play well yesterday...

Fletcher plays a deeper defensive type role (DLP) but set to mixed passing while Anderson was set as normal! Young did not feature to much last night due to the fact Nani was making Cole look like a 2 bob defender for most of the evening and we attacked out right for this reason!

other than that it was still the same tactical approach, let teams come on to you then counter and once again we did it to perfection!

let teams come on to you then counter and once again we did it to perfection!

Would you say setting the starting strategy set to counter or not because what Im trying to get right is a patient build up play but on the break a quick, direct counter attack. Sometimes when I counter its not fast enough.

Average Position

Man u v Chel
View attachment 195899

looking at this I would say 4-2-3-1 formation with Anderson and Fletcher holding their position in centre midfield Young staying wide also Hernandez coming deep or you could say Hernandez playing as a false nine and Rooney as a False 10?

Last edited:
Rooney false 10 (treq/dlf) start on standard then assess from there :) if you are controlling the game well play on the attack if you are struggling to get possession play on the counter :)

Rooney is operating in the same position that he has for quite a while. The only difference is that Javier Hernandez is dragging the defence of the other team deeper which is creating space for Rooney in front of the defence. Raul Meireles was put in as a holding midfielder to play in that space. Also another thing that can be important, yet overlooked for a "Man Utd tactic" is that our defenders play with the ball at their feet. They are good passers and make a decent amount every match. This season, it has become important to the way we play and it is very noticeable. As an example, Phil Jones v Chelsea attempted 51 passes and completed 45, 88% completion rate. Jonny Evans v Chelsea attempted 47 passes and completed 43, 91% completion rate. It has been like this the whole season so far. In this particular match Jones made 3rd most passes (2nd most for Utd) and Evans made 5th most (4th most for Utd). Fletcher made the most with 58 completed, 63 attempted and Evra made 4th most in the match (3rd most for Utd). So 3 of the back 4 appeared in Man Utd's top 4 passers in this particular game.

Also if you genuinely watched the Bolton match in which Cleverley got injured in, you would have seen that when Michael Carrick came on, as always, he sat in front of the back 4 and he never really went forward. This meant that Anderson didn't have to cover for anyone which gave him the freedom to do whatever he wanted in centre midfield.

---------- Post added at 11:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:33 AM ----------

Another thing, if you want to emulate Man Utd exactly you cannot use the 4-2-3-1 formation in FM. Nani and Young always go back to defence when without the ball. Wingers in 4-2-3-1 formation do not chase back to get between the ball and the goal they are defending. A 4-4-1-1 formation is more useful.

I disagree, it is a 4-4-2 dynamic system they have with the 2 Cm's never committing too far forward and if one does like Anderson, the other is always covering behind them... the Amr and Aml could be dropped back to the Mr and Ml slots and set to run from deep often to create the space behind the fullbacks and move into channels regularly... You cannot replicate the exact formation as there would be some sort of Dm to a degree, an Amc - Rooney and St and wingers...

This tactic/formation is still not 100% tweaked to perfection but does get the way United are playing down pretty well.. here are some video's as well of the game play:

194445d1315211027-deathslayer%99-raikan007-formation.png

194461d1315212006-deathslayer%99-raikan007-manchester-united-man-utd_-tactics-4.png

[video=youtube;9YPru44HpQw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YPru44HpQw&feature=player_embedded[/video]

[video=youtube;fL6zCFMiEFU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fL6zCFMiEFU&feature=related[/video]

[video=youtube;A8fZ9XaK1UA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8fZ9XaK1UA&feature=related[/video]

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...-training/82379-deathslayer%99-raikan007.html

Last edited:
I disagree, it is a 4-4-2 dynamic system they have with the 2 Cm's never committing too far forward and if one does like Anderson, the other is always covering behind them... the Amr and Aml could be dropped back to the Mr and Ml slots and set to run from deep often to create the space behind the fullbacks and move into channels regularly... You cannot replicate the exact formation as there would be some sort of Dm to a degree, an Amc - Rooney and St and wingers...

This tactic/formation is still not 100% tweaked to perfection but does get the way United are playing down pretty well.. here are some video's as well of the game play:

194445d1315211027-deathslayer%99-raikan007-formation.png

[video=youtube;9YPru44HpQw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YPru44HpQw&feature=player_embedded[/video]

[video=youtube;fL6zCFMiEFU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fL6zCFMiEFU&feature=related[/video]

[video=youtube;A8fZ9XaK1UA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8fZ9XaK1UA&feature=related[/video]

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...-training/82379-deathslayer%99-raikan007.html

Hmm that looks a lot like the way Man Utd played when Welbeck was in the team. Do they defend like we do though? We've conceded the most amount of shots this season (over 100 shots against us in 5 games) so I suppose it's better to have our own effective fm defensive system in stead.

it was made exactly for and when Cleverley/Anderson and Welbeck were in the team, just after we beat City/West Brom and Arsenal :)

it does concede a few shots due to the fact the Cm's are semi attacking and moving into channels, but I have negated the Cml to not move into channels...

I concede a few like we do vs Benfica and Arsenal but on the whole it plays some good footie :)

194458d1315212006-deathslayer%99-raikan007-manchester-united-man-utd_-fixtures-.png

194459d1315212006-deathslayer%99-raikan007-manchester-united-man-utd_-fixtures-2.png

looking at some of the results there it seems as though the more we scored the more we conceded :) just like IRL :p

it was made exactly for and when Cleverley/Anderson and Welbeck were in the team, just after we beat City/West Brom and Arsenal :)

it does concede a few shots due to the fact the Cm's are semi attacking and moving into channels, but I have negated the Cml to not move into channels...

I concede a few like we do vs Benfica and Arsenal but on the whole it plays some good footie :)

looking at some of the results there it seems as though the more we scored the more we conceded :) just like IRL :p

Have you got any screenshots of the match stats of some of your draws? They are always the most telling in my opinion.