England side to face France

• Thread starter Thread starter Mike.
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 472
  • Views Views 23K
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm excited by the Bothroyd inclusion, hopefully he can get some game time. Was hoping Jarvis or Albrington would get called up but I suppose you still need some experienced heads in the squad. You never know, Capello might play Walcott upfront.
if only. lethal striker, average winger

not put a foot wrong in the England under 21 games; United league games, cup game or european games

Thats fair enough, But it's a different kettle of fish to the level of opposition he will be playing for the full international team. He hasnt played too many games for United, whereas there are other possibilities who have played consistently in the league for their clubs this season and played well. For example Cahill

Thats fair enough, But it's a different kettle of fish to the level of opposition he will be playing for the full international team. He hasnt played too many games for United, whereas there are other possibilities who have played consistently in the league for their clubs this season and played well. For example Cahill
i think the fact that its a friendly is why cahill isnt there, though i still would have taken him over lescott

to be honest, it wouldnt be a massive loss to england. Pretty sure its true, becuase if it wasnt he would have come out and say so

Would everyone believe him if he did?? It wouldn't change anyones opinion on him and the fact she came out and said they didn't sleep together gets hardly no mention at all just shows people have already got their opinion on JT already no matter what has happend or what ever happens.

---------- Post added at 07:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:01 AM ----------

I would have taken Cahill over Lescott all day long but im not sure about Smalling, he has hardly played for Utd since joining (which is understandable with the players they have). But then again when can you give the yougsters a game in the first team if you don't try them in friendlys.

Would everyone believe him if he did?? It wouldn't change anyones opinion on him and the fact she came out and said they didn't sleep together gets hardly no mention at all just shows people have already got their opinion on JT already no matter what has happend or what ever happens.

---------- Post added at 07:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:01 AM ----------

I would have taken Cahill over Lescott all day long but im not sure about Smalling, he has hardly played for Utd since joining (which is understandable with the players they have). But then again when can you give the yougsters a game in the first team if you don't try them in friendlys.
they would have believed him a lot more than now, not to mention he could have sued for libel etc. the fact he did none of that tells me its pretty bang on. but we digress

looking forward to the game. its a sell out as well, set to be a cracker for a friendly

Smalling has played 6 games for us, but hes also been very good for the under 21's. though if this was a competitive game he wouldn't be near the squad

i think the fact that its a friendly is why cahill isnt there, though i still would have taken him over lescott

Agreed. Cahill is, in my opinion, more worthy of inclusion than Smalling. But the emphasis seems to be on giving young players a chance. Like you say though, Lescott being in ahead of Cahill, and even the two Birmingham centre backs, is baffling.

Also would have liked to see Albrighton in there but it may be a bit too soon for him.

The line up should have some youth, but also experienced heads like Terry and Gerrard are a must, or we will get slaughtered. Walcott at right midfield (despite the fact he is an awful winger) purely to pin back the attacking runs of Evra.

Agreed. Cahill is, in my opinion, more worthy of inclusion than Smalling. But the emphasis seems to be on giving young players a chance. Like you say though, Lescott being in ahead of Cahill, and even the two Birmingham centre backs, is baffling.

Also would have liked to see Albrighton in there but it may be a bit too soon for him.

The line up should have some youth, but also experienced heads like Terry and Gerrard are a must, or we will get slaughtered. Walcott at right midfield (despite the fact he is an awful winger) purely to pin back the attacking runs of Evra.

I totally agree that both Dann and Johnson deserve a call-up more than Smalling they have been so consistant for over a year now.

Hart
Richards-Ferdinand-Jagielka-A.Cole
Gerrard-Barry
A.Johnson-Wilshere-Milner
Carroll​

Would like to see this :)

Hm, yeah for the same reason I'd have put Milner there, specifically to track Evra. Play either Young (if you want an inside forward) or Johnson (if you want width) on the other side. Play Walcott up front, please.

Hm, yeah for the same reason I'd have put Milner there, specifically to track Evra. Play either Young (if you want an inside forward) or Johnson (if you want width) on the other side. Play Walcott up front, please.

Forgot about Milner, he would do a better defensive job in terms of tracking Evra and is a much better player overall, but Walcott has more raw pace.

If we are going to play inverted wingers, the full backs need to be much better going forward than they were last time out against Montenegro, where Cole was strangely very reserved, making the space left by the inverted winger redundant

FRANCE SQUAD TO FACE ENGLAND:
Goalkeepers: Cedric Carrasso (Bordeaux), Hugo Lloris (Olympique Lyon), Steve Mandanda (Olympique Marseille

Defenders: Anthony Reveillere (Olympique Lyon), Gael Clichy (Arsenal), Philippe Mexes (AS Roma), Adil Rami (Lille), Mamadou Sakho (Paris St Germain), Bacary Sagna (Arsenal), Eric Abidal (Barcelona)

Midfielders: Alou Diarra (Bordeaux), Yohan Cabaye (Lille), Yoann Gourcuff (Lyon), Yann Mvila (Stade Rennes), Samir Nasri (Arsenal)
Forwards: Karim Benzema (Real Madrid), Kevin Gameiro (Lorient), Guillaume Hoarau (Paris St Germain), Florent Malouda (Chelsea), Loic Remy (Olympique Marseille), Mathieu Valbuena (Olympique Marseille), Dimitri Payet (St Etienne)

Goalkeepers: Cedric Carrasso (Bordeaux), Hugo Lloris (Olympique Lyon), Steve Mandanda (Olympique Marseille

Defenders: Anthony Reveillere (Olympique Lyon), Gael Clichy (Arsenal), Philippe Mexes (AS Roma), Adil Rami (Lille), Mamadou Sakho (Paris St Germain), Bacary Sagna (Arsenal), Eric Abidal (Barcelona)

Midfielders: Alou Diarra (Bordeaux), Yohan Cabaye (Lille), Yoann Gourcuff (Lyon), Yann Mvila (Stade Rennes), Samir Nasri (Arsenal)
Forwards: Karim Benzema (Real Madrid), Kevin Gameiro (Lorient), Guillaume Hoarau (Paris St Germain), Florent Malouda (Chelsea), Loic Remy (Olympique Marseille), Mathieu Valbuena (Olympique Marseille), Dimitri Payet (St Etienne)

Interesting. I forgot Evra's injured.

I'm guessing a lineup of

Lloris
Sagna Rami Mexes Clichy/Abidal
Toulalan M'Vila
Valbuena Gourcuff Malouda
Hoarau

Would be about right.​

Looks like they are taking the oppertunity to field some fringe players too.

No Evra, which is one less attacking threat to worry about.

Taking that into account, i would go for:

-----------------------Hart--------------------------
Richards-----Terry--Ferdinand-----Cole
Johnson----Gerrard---Barry--------Young
---------------Caroll------Walcott------------

With Wilshere, Gibbs Henderson and Smalling all guarenteed some game time

Evra is still unable to play after the fiasco at the World Cup, no?

Looks like they are taking the oppertunity to field some fringe players too.

No Evra, which is one less attacking threat to worry about.

Taking that into account, i would go for:

-----------------------Hart--------------------------
Richards-----Terry--Ferdinand-----Cole
Johnson----Gerrard---Barry--------Young
---------------Caroll------Walcott------------

With Wilshere, Gibbs Henderson and Smalling all guarenteed some game time
if the two sides line the way you and godcubed have put them, we could be in for some trouble, i dont think barry is capable of handling gourcuff, and their fullbacks will be looking to get forwards at all times

---------- Post added at 07:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:31 AM ----------

Evra is still unable to play after the fiasco at the World Cup, no?
yeah he is still banned

if the two sides line the way you and godcubed have put them, we could be in for some trouble, i dont think barry is capable of handling gourcuff, and their fullbacks will be looking to get forwards at all times

---------- Post added at 07:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:31 AM ----------

yeah he is still banned

Nor do I, but nor are any of our holding midfielders, hence the reason a 4-2-3-1 would not suit us in my opinion.

EDIT: with the exception of Owen Hargreaves

There is that. Milner and Walcott could therfore be deployed to lesson the attacking threat of their full backs. The problem is that also severely weakens our attacking threat

Last edited:
Hope that Bothroyd gets a game. He's a championship striker but he's got 13 goals, I hope he does get a bit of game time at least. It's nice to see the championship getting a notice,even if it is only a friendly.

Interesting. I forgot Evra's injured.

I'm guessing a lineup of

Lloris
Sagna Rami Mexes Clichy/Abidal
Toulalan M'Vila
Valbuena Gourcuff Malouda
Hoarau

Would be about right.​

Evra is suspended for 6 games.

I think Gary Cahill deserves a call-up more than Chris Smalling :S

Gourcuff and Nasri in midfield for France:wub:

Nasri vs Wilshere