England side to face France

• Thread starter Thread starter Mike.
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 472
  • Views Views 23K
Status
Not open for further replies.
i just dont rate gaby to be fair, im not sure he has enough about his game. i'd like to be wrong though

---------- Post added at 03:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:49 AM ----------

Terry, Cole and Abonglahor are out

Though it's now a moot point, I am very resistant to this "one-dimensional" criticism of Gabby. He's quick, yes, but he's also a fantastic hold up player, his crossing is good and his technique is improving. Not too shabby in the air either.

Still, now he's injured we have three big lump target men. Disappointing.

I thought i saw Cole struggling abit with his left ankle again so that makes sence. The JT one though im not suprised at.

I thought i saw Cole struggling abit with his left ankle again so that makes sence. The JT one though im not suprised at.
he took a nasty hit on it in the game, and i think it was on his troubled ankle too

Yer i did see it right then, yer its the one that kept him out for 3 months last season.
he's said it takes him longer to recover from that one so not worth a risk in a friendly we already know what he can do

Reo-Coker is our closest, but the point is with two holders we don't need a proper "destroyer" type as much. Playing Huddlestone and Reo-Coker would be good, imitating the Schweinsteiger-Khedira axis that works so well for Germany. Huddlestone holds position and sprays passes around, Reo-Coker uses his energy and work-rate to destroy attacks around him and make late runs. Of course, the point is slightly moot in this case as Reo-Coker's injured.

Interesting point you make, but I would probably argue that Schwein and Khedira are still slightly better defensively than Barry and Thudd. (Not too sure about Reo-Coker as I havent seen him alot.) But Khedira's reading of the game is exceptional, in an age when interceptions are arguably becoming more important than tackles.

4-2-3-1 is worth a try, but the key will be finding the right pair to play in the double pivot. Barry is very suspect defensively so would have to be played along with a better defensive player, and maybe Reo-Coker is the answer. Personally I don't think we could get away with a double pivot without Reo-Coker or Hargreaves, especially against the likes of Gourcuff in their zone.

he's said it takes him longer to recover from that one so not worth a risk in a friendly we already know what he can do

yer he said he struggles to walk when he gets out of bed the day after a game. Chelsea apparently give him quite abit of time off after games or he just comes in and works in the Gym or Pool work.

I honestly think if Rodwell hadn't got injured at the start of the season, it would be a completely different headline.

Interesting point you make, but I would probably argue that Schwein and Khedira are still slightly better defensively than Barry and Thudd. (Not too sure about Reo-Coker as I havent seen him alot.) But Khedira's reading of the game is exceptional, in an age when interceptions are arguably becoming more important than tackles.

4-2-3-1 is worth a try, but the key will be finding the right pair to play in the double pivot. Barry is very suspect defensively so would have to be played along with a better defensive player, and maybe Reo-Coker is the answer. Personally I don't think we could get away with a double pivot without Reo-Coker or Hargreaves, especially against the likes of Gourcuff in their zone.
your first part is absolute spot on about interceptions. its what makes the likes of mikel and carrick so good in 3 man mids, especially as interception is an instant counter while the opposition have left gaps defensively

---------- Post added at 03:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:34 AM ----------

I honestly think if Rodwell hadn't got injured at the start of the season, it would be a completely different headline.
honestly, the further forwards rodwell is pushed, the less i'm actually that bothered about him

They probably are, but we have to take what we have. Simply but, the German pair are far higher quality than anything we can put out. Agreed on Khedira, he's a class above when it comes to awareness.

If only Hargreaves were fit... as it is Reo-Coker is our best fit, he's on good form. But he's injured. If I had my way, Barry would be dropped and Thudd and possibly Rodwell would be played. We need to neutralise Gourcuff as much as we can, and need someone with a destroyer's doggedness and discipline to track him.

Further forwards as in?

no chance, crouch heads it over nearly every time he gets a free header in box for spurs and england

Cardiff fan here.
Bothroyd deserves a chance. He is one of the best players I have seen at Cardiff alongside Aaron Ramsey who was in Arsenals starting 11 before his injury. Is he England quality, Maybe not but he deserves a chance to prove himself. Much more vital to our team than Bellamy

They probably are, but we have to take what we have. Simply but, the German pair are far higher quality than anything we can put out. Agreed on Khedira, he's a class above when it comes to awareness.

If only Hargreaves were fit... as it is Reo-Coker is our best fit, he's on good form. But he's injured. If I had my way, Barry would be dropped and Thudd and possibly Rodwell would be played. We need to neutralise Gourcuff as much as we can, and need someone with a destroyer's doggedness and discipline to track him.

Agreed, im having kittens about what Gourcuff might do to us, hopefully Capello has learnt from Ozil dragging our team all over the place that a player deployed between the lines can destroy a 4-4-2. Albeit Gourcuff is different to Ozil, but the fact reamins that if we once again allow our defence to be torn to pieces by some simple lateral or backwards movement by an AMC we will be hammered.

Of course, a true destroyer deployed as a DMC neutralises this. Reo-Coker and Hargreaves seem the most suitable candidates. Rodwell could be vital for England in the future if he progresses well. It looks like the job will fall to Barry, who I am not convinced about defensively. I agree that Thudd deserves a chance over Barry, but he has yet to really prove that he would be any better than Barry faced with a world class AMC like Gourcuff/ Ozil

---------- Post added at 03:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:46 AM ----------

Cardiff fan here.
Bothroyd deserves a chance. He is one of the best players I have seen at Cardiff alongside Aaron Ramsey who was in Arsenals starting 11 before his injury. Is he England quality, Maybe not but he deserves a chance to prove himself. Much more vital to our team than Bellamy

I think he is a very good player who would have been playing for a better team (no offense meant BTW (K)) if he had had the right atttitude earlier in his career. I was actually very dissapointed when we let him go a few years back, he leads the line exceptionally

Agreed, im having kittens about what Gourcuff might do to us, hopefully Capello has learnt from Ozil dragging our team all over the place that a player deployed between the lines can destroy a 4-4-2. Albeit Gourcuff is different to Ozil, but the fact reamins that if we once again allow our defence to be torn to pieces by some simple lateral or backwards movement by an AMC we will be hammered.

Of course, a true destroyer deployed as a DMC neutralises this. Reo-Coker and Hargreaves seem the most suitable candidates. Rodwell could be vital for England in the future if he progresses well. It looks like the job will fall to Barry, who I am not convinced about defensively. I agree that Thudd deserves a chance over Barry, but he has yet to really prove that he would be any better than Barry faced with a world class AMC like Gourcuff/ Ozil

---------- Post added at 03:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:46 AM ----------

I think he is a very good player who would have been playing for a better team (no offense meant BTW (K)) if he had had the right atttitude earlier in his career. I was actually very dissapointed when we let him go a few years back, he leads the line exceptionally
thing is, it looks like moyes has rodwell pipped for a more attacking role.

if we were to go 4-2-3-1, i would have a slanted 2 in barry and wilshere, who likes to start high but is happy to drop deep

up the pitch. having watched him play over the last year, he would be a fantastic deep fulcrum in midfield
You seem to be forgetting this?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gLxsFp-zaU"]YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.[/ame]

I agree I believe his ideal position would be a midfield maestro, but I have every belief that he could be a sort of Andrea Pirlo midfielder in which he runs games, technically strikes a ball ace and reads the game very well.

thing is, it looks like moyes has rodwell pipped for a more attacking role.

if we were to go 4-2-3-1, i would have a slanted 2 in barry and wilshere, who likes to start high but is happy to drop deep

Trying to sabotage England :)

Maybe in qualifying, but I just wouldnt trust Barry against Gourcuff, or any quality AMC

Trying to sabotage England :)

Maybe in qualifying, but I just wouldnt trust Barry against Gourcuff, or any quality AMC
i just dont trust barry full stop, but right now i dont know what other option we have, barry in a 3 man mid is less open than barry in a 2 man mid

---------- Post added at 03:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:56 AM ----------

You seem to be forgetting this?

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

I agree I believe his ideal position would be a midfield maestro, but I have every belief that he could be a sort of Andrea Pirlo midfielder in which he runs games, technically strikes a ball ace and reads the game very well.
not sure what the video is about, but the point is where moyes plays him and where he would play for england are two different roles. moyes wants him to be a lampard-esque player

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back