England squad to face Montenegro & U21's to face Romania

• Thread starter Thread starter Jack Fulham
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 228
  • Views Views 13K
So, what's the general opinion on Downing getting a call-up, you lot? He's been in fine form recently.

Downing is a bit like a left-sided Beckham, really. Not particularly fast, not particularly skilful, but technically excellent, a hard worker, possesses a lethal cross and a potent threat at set-pieces. He's probably the best English crosser bar Beckham, and Becks is more or less past it now. Downing has also diversified - can play on either wing or through the middle, and his right foot has improved. He's added goalscoring to his repertoire as well. One thing I particularly like about his is his awareness on the pitch. For example, he's a master of the traditional opposite-winger-coming-in-unnoticed-at-the-back-post-in-a-crossing-situation routine, and has grabbed himself a few goals that way. Not too shabby in the air, either, for a winger.

I would play:
-----------------Hart---------------
Johnson--Jagielka--Rio--Cole
---------------Barry----------------
------Gerrard-------Thudd-------
Young------------------Johnson
--------------Rooney--------------

I would play:
-----------------Hart---------------
Johnson--Jagielka--Rio--Cole
---------------Barry----------------
------Gerrard-------Thudd-------
Young------------------Johnson
--------------Rooney--------------

Good, but Jags is injured unfortunately.

Good, but Jags is injured unfortunately.

Ah balls, hmm, Cahill it is then.

Also would like to mention, I would use Downing as an impact sub if Johnson or Young don't have a good 60mins.

Last edited:
Ah balls, hmm, Cahill it is then.

Also would like to mention, I would use Downing as an impact sub if Johnson or Young don't have a good 60mins.

Yeah, tricky one really. He's not good enough to dislodge either of those two from their starting places (assuming they start) but he's not exactly an impact player in the same sense Walcott or Lennon could be. Still, at least we have two wingers who are proficient at crossing now.

Yeah, tricky one really. He's not good enough to dislodge either of those two from their starting places (assuming they start) but he's not exactly an impact player in the same sense Walcott or Lennon could be. Still, at least we have two wingers who are proficient at crossing now.

It depends if he is brought on with Crouch/Davies, those crosses he makes could make more of an impact than the pace of Lennon/Walcott.

It depends if he is brought on with Crouch/Davies, those crosses he makes could make more of an impact than the pace of Lennon/Walcott.

Good point. I feel a little sorry for Montenegro, having to face a fired-up Kevin Davies.

I'm all up for a late-game 4-4-2 with Crouch and Davies up top and Downing/Young on the wings. That'd be proper English football, that would. :P

it depends on if we play a crossing or a passing game, if we play the latter, which we should in my opinion, we were much better in our last two games when we gave up on going wide every single time, then i'd go with dunc's formation, with wilshere 2nd half for gerrard

it depends on if we play a crossing or a passing game, if we play the latter, which we should in my opinion, we were much better in our last two games when we gave up on going wide every single time, then i'd go with dunc's formation, with wilshere 2nd half for gerrard

Problem is, I don't trust Barry holding the fort in the centre by himself. He needs Huddlestone alongside him playing deep, as well, which would free up Gerrard to move central and forward, which is we agree his best position.

Problem is, I don't trust Barry holding the fort in the centre by himself. He needs Huddlestone alongside him playing deep, as well, which would free up Gerrard to move central and forward, which is we agree his best position.
thats why i likes dunc formation, and with thudd on the left, it lets ashley cole get forwards

Anyone know where milner is? hes not injured, and was beginning to find his feet for england and city.

Anyone know where milner is? hes not injured, and was beginning to find his feet for england and city.
suspended for consecutive yellow cards. make no mistake, that position is his. its the right flank thats up for crabs

suspended for consecutive yellow cards. make no mistake, that position is his. its the right flank thats up for crabs

Depends really, I mean he's two footed and equally at home on either flank. If for instance Downing proves to be the best candidate, Milner would probably move right. If Johnson took the spot, he'd stay left.

I don't think England will miss Terry much in this game to be honest even though i think he is in some good form but, my only problem is that is this going to be another not fit enough to play for England on Tuesday but is fit enough to play for Club on the Saturday?? I have seen some messege boards slamming Terry saying these things but to be honest these are the same people that don't want him in the squad anyway so they got what they want. I agree i think it should be Rio and Cahill at the back, i also think Capello should drop Rooney and bring him on as a sub just to see how much he wants it.

Last edited:
I don't think England will miss Terry much in this game to be honest even though i think he is in some good form but, my only problem is that is this going to be another not fit enough to play for England on Tuesday but is fit enough to play for Club on the Saturday?? I have seen some messege boards slamming Terry saying these things but to be honest these are the same people that don't want him in the squad anyway so they got what they want. I agree i think it should be Rio and Cahill at the back, i also think Capello should drop Rooney and bring him on as a sub just to see how much he wants it.
drop rooney to see how much he wants it? have you actually been watching rooney play? its nothing to do with not wanting it. hes lacking confidence in the box, but despite that has 1 goal and 3 assists in his last two england games :S lack of goals is a problem when deployed as a 9, less so as a 10, which he has been and will be.

Bent is out, Crouch to replace him.

Rio to Captain the side.

Ferdinand confirmed as England skipper

Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand has been confirmed as England's captain for the Euro 2012 qualifier with Montenegro at Wembley on Tuesday evening.

The Reds star was named as Fabio Capello's skipper after John Terry was sacked following allegations about his private life.

The 31-year-old Ferdinand has worn the armband for only two of the 10 subsequent internationals because of injury problems.

He missed the World Cup campaign with knee ligament damage sustained during England's first training session in South Africa.

Liverpool skipper Steven Gerrard has worn the armband in Ferdinand's absence and earned praise from Capello for the way he has handled the role.

But the Italian has reverted to his original appointment with Ferdinand leading out the side for the first time since the friendly international with Japan in Graz in late May.

Ferdinand admitted to having doubts as to whether he would regain the captaincy.

He said: "I didn't know if I was going to be captain or not - I was more concerned about being in the squad and being fit... it's been a fair road back.

"The manager is always analysing you physically and mentally and you've got to perform. He has seen me as the right person and I'm delighted with that - but if it had gone the other way I would have shaken Steven's hand and said 'good luck to you' - that's the way it is.

"It's a great honour to be named England captain and it's great to be playing again. To come back now and be named captain is fantastic but Steven has done a fantastic job, especially in both European Championship qualifying games - we've won both games quite convincingly.

Leaders

"We've got a number of leaders in this squad - and the more there are the better we will be as a team.

"Steven and Wazza (Wayne Rooney) have worn the armband before so we've got players with experience who know their way around the pitch. If we can continue as we have started in this group we'll be on the right road."

The Manchester United defender admitted missing the World Cup because of injury was "a disaster".

"The first 48 hours when I got the injury were the worst in terms of thinking of the consequences and analysing it. Missing the World Cup was a disaster for me but you've got to wipe yourself down and get on with it.

"I worked hard on rehabilitation and at the training ground at Manchester United. The staff have been fantastic helping me get to this point."

On training this morning Ferdinand continued: "There are a few fresh faces - it's nice to train alongside Jack Wilshere and Adam Johnson, young hungry boys who are talented and trying to get in the team.

"It makes you feel a bit older but it's a good ambience and long may it continue."

The defender knows all about Montenegro front man Mirko Vucinic, who has celebrated goals by removing his shorts and putting them on his head.

Ferdinand said: "I know him from when we (Manchester United) have played Roma. You get booked for something like that in our country so it's not something we'll be following suit with,

"I knew they would be one of stand-out teams in the group. It will be a hard game and we've got to make sure we bring our 'A' game to make sure we put it to bed because they've started very well in the group."

Meanwhile, Sunderland striker Darren Bent has withdrawn from the squad after picking up a groin injury in training on Monday.

http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereve...345307_ferdinand_confirmed_as_england_skipper

drop rooney to see how much he wants it? have you actually been watching rooney play? its nothing to do with not wanting it. hes lacking confidence in the box, but despite that has 1 goal and 3 assists in his last two england games :S lack of goals is a problem when deployed as a 9, less so as a 10, which he has been and will be.

Bent is out, Crouch to replace him.

Rio to Captain the side.

Im just looking at the facts that he isen't playing well and Capello said he would pick players on form (which we know is aload of ****) but i just think it would be good for him aswell. Look what Chelsea done to Terry he was making mistakes when his private life came out in the public so Chelsea took him 100% away from it we kept playing well so in a way he had to win his place back and then he went on to lift 2 trophies later on that season. I just think it will make him want it more make him more hungry for it.

What are peoples thoughts on Albrighton and Johnson?

I like both of these players, future first teamers?

Back