England Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter iNickStuff
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4K
  • Views Views 377K
What do you expect in a friendly before the WC? Players to play in top gear and risk getting injured for a game of no significance?

Good goal.

Me? I don't expect anything from England.

I honestly think England would be better off starting with Rooney on the bench... been poor for England for several years.

I would rather have the likes of Lallana, Barkley, Sterling behind Sturridge

I honestly think England would be better off starting with Rooney on the bench... been poor for England for several years.

You definitely need to change something. Rooney is hit and miss player lately. He developed strangely, he's kind of Jack of all trades.

As much as I kind of would agree... I think from judging tonights game he wasn't to blame.. it was behind him... Gerrard's aimless long balls and Henderson is well... Henderson. We need someone creative there either next to Henderson or next to Gerrard. I'd probably say Gerrard and Wilshere would be better.

Also I'd start Sterling or Ox instead of Welbeck as we need more natural width with some blistering pace.

Problem we have with Rooney is that his name sort of leads him into being forced into the team even if we could realistically do better without him. He's as Vanjagl put it a jack of all trades, we have better options as a lone striker, we have better options out wide and we have better options in the hole behind the forward.

It's hard to leave him out though because IF he does turn up he can win games on his own, it's just a case of if he actually does.

I'd expect Wilshere to start alongside Gerrard/Henderson or both depending on the system and drop Welbeck out for Sterling.

Oh and by the way have you seen Italy's form of late? Pretty stone-average.

BBC Sport - Football - Italy Results
Prandelli's been doing some experimenting recently, so the results aren't so great. They qualified for the World Cup very quickly, though, so they are deadly when they want to be.

Problem we have with Rooney is that his name sort of leads him into being forced into the team even if we could realistically do better without him. He's as Vanjagl put it a jack of all trades, we have better options as a lone striker, we have better options out wide and we have better options in the hole behind the forward.

It's hard to leave him out though because IF he does turn up he can win games on his own, it's just a case of if he actually does.

I'd expect Wilshere to start alongside Gerrard/Henderson or both depending on the system and drop Welbeck out for Sterling.
I agree. Sometimes he's forced into the team when it isn't the best scenario, but then again, I'd say that he probably brings a motivational boost to the team with his aura and reputation. I'd like to see him started against Italy, and then rotated (him and Barkley/Ox/Lallana) if he's not on top form.

Friendly results mean pretty much nothing, particularly when they're mostly all test sides.

Yeh true, can't read too much into them. But they may have lost Montolivo through injury tonight mind you.

Yeh true, can't read too much into them. But they may have lost Montolivo through injury tonight mind you.

Montolivo hasn't exactly been amazing this season like rest of Milan team. Not the biggest loss for Italy.

The starting XI I would love to see is:

Hart
Johnson (unfortunately)
Cahill
Jagielka
Baines
Gerrard
Henderson
Sterling
Wilshire
Lallana
Sturridge

Won't happen, but that's how I would play

I can only see two options with Rooney - either he plays, or he should have been kept out of the squad completely. Benching your biggest (reputation wise anyway) player is always going to backfire in some way.

I can only see two options with Rooney - either he plays, or he should have been kept out of the squad completely. Benching your biggest (reputation wise anyway) player is always going to backfire in some way.

Problem is when Rooney tries to do a lot himself. He has lot the spark which made him such an exciting prospect, he was very good. Now to utilize him properly he should be played only as #9 without asking him to drop deep but then again it will have impact on Sturridge role.

Problem is when Rooney tries to do a lot himself. He has lot the spark which made him such an exciting prospect, he was very good. Now to utilize him properly he should be played only as #9 without asking him to drop deep but then again it will have impact on Sturridge role.

No way Sturbridge is much better as striker, if Rooney plays its no.10 behind Sturridge or nowhere.

Italy is pretty much always bad in the group stages. But if they get out to knockout they transform into their final form, the Terrifying **** Monster of Doom and Destruction.

I really think we need to utilise the likes of Sterling against Italy, if we don't and play more of a containing kind of setup with Welbeck or Milner and co. it plays right into Italy's hands.

I really think we need to utilise the likes of Sterling against Italy, if we don't and play more of a containing kind of setup with Welbeck or Milner and co. it plays right into Italy's hands.

Unfortunately under Hodgson i cant see any other way of him setting up against Italy, although it would be nice to be wrong on this one

Unfortunately under Hodgson i cant see any other way of him setting up against Italy, although it would be nice to be wrong on this one

Hodgson should know Italy's weaknesses better more than most, Welbeck and Lallana in wide-positions is too narrow I think we need Lallana and Sterling or perhaps Ox. Would prefer Sterling though, he's had a fantastic season and will be full of confidence.

Back