England Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter iNickStuff
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4K
  • Views Views 377K
Also-Sterling will be banned for next friendly but not the World Cup (from FA)
Is the ban from the FA or FIFA - are the FA just announcing it? That's absurd, although I suppose it'll teach him to time his tackles better in the future.

Is the ban from the FA or FIFA - are the FA just announcing it? That's absurd, although I suppose it'll teach him to time his tackles better in the future.

Think someone was saying it was a source from the FA. Basically any ban won't be carried over into the tournament

OilyWebbedAmphibian.gif

Last replay clearly shows what a dangerous tackle it was, how anyone can argue that it was not red is beyond me. Hey but at least it's better than few saying that it's not even a foul on Twitter.

Are people genuinely arguing that that tackle was anything less than reckless and a clear red, or is it just Liverpool fans sticking up for their man? He barely touches the tip of the ball, clearly has no control and is inches away from striking Valencia's shin at full force with his studs...

Are people genuinely arguing that that tackle was anything less than reckless and a clear red, or is it just Liverpool fans sticking up for their man? He barely touches the tip of the ball, clearly has no control and is inches away from striking Valencia's shin at full force with his studs...

I know a rather large number of people who don't think it's a red. I'd agree with you if he actually made any real contact with him but it's his trailing leg that catches Valencias stationary foot.

Definitly reckless and a yellow but Valencias reaction gets Sterling sent off.

Only thing I will say is i am not sure why it is being said it is only Liverpool fans who are saying it is not a red card.

The panel on Itv were split, Sky Sports interviews are split, most of social media is split... People have opinions on the tackle, it is nothing to do with Liverpool fans sticking up for Sterling.

I think the tackle was careless from Sterling and it could of been potentially very dangerous for Valencia, that's why he reacted as he did... there was no need to make a tackle like that in a friendly.

Valencia is usually a calm customer, so take it from him.. it was bad.

I know a rather large number of people who don't think it's a red. I'd agree with you if he actually made any real contact with him but it's his trailing leg that catches Valencias stationary foot.

Definitly reckless and a yellow but Valencias reaction gets Sterling sent off.

If you follow the rules to the letter though, it doesn't even matter that he doesn't make full contact, it's the fact that he didn't have control of the situation and was putting the other player at serious risk

Anyone find Roy's comments on Barkley ridiculous? Way to go to kill a guys confidence. I thought he was one of our better players yesterday, it's just great to see someone with the balls to try something different and run at defenders. Italians don't like that kind of thing.

Anyone find Roy's comments on Barkley ridiculous? Way to go to kill a guys confidence. I thought he was one of our better players yesterday, it's just great to see someone with the balls to try something different and run at defenders. Italians don't like that kind of thing.

I think Roy's been very clever. If there's one thing the British media do with young stars its hype them up to crazy, unattainable levels. Hodgson's attempting to counteract that.

I didn't see the challenge live, but after viewing replays, all I can think back to is Eduardo's situation vs. Birmingham. Martin Taylor went in similarly and, unfortunately for Eduardo, he got a very nasty injury out of it. Valencia on this occasion got off very lucky.

I think Roy's been very clever. If there's one thing the British media do with young stars its hype them up to crazy, unattainable levels. Hodgson's attempting to counteract that.

It's the way he worded it that came across bad to me...

To say Phil Jones was better than him yesterday is a bit insulting!

It's the way he worded it that came across bad to me...

To say Phil Jones was better than him yesterday is a bit insulting!

What he says to the media is pretty irrelevant. Wouldn't be surprised if he explained that he had plenty of faith in Barkley to him privately and then told him exactly how it was going to work. Hodgson's not one to just randomly slate his players, he has his reasons.

Like GC said, Roy isn't stupid. The British press is an absolute animal. Can easily build up a player, then savagely crucify him if a mistake is made-the sort of thing than can utterly wreck a player's confidence and so begins the downward spiral. Ross has to be be kept firmly on the ground-Naismith has said it, Martinez has said it-anyone with an ounce of common sense has said it, so don't worry about what Hodgson say's. He's going about things the right way.

What he says to the media is pretty irrelevant. Wouldn't be surprised if he explained that he had plenty of faith in Barkley to him privately and then told him exactly how it was going to work. Hodgson's not one to just randomly slate his players, he has his reasons.

Fair point, I only read his comments on SSN and thought it came across a bit abrupt.

Wish we could fast-forward to next Thursday now.. this waiting is killing me!

Back