England Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter iNickStuff
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4K
  • Views Views 377K
What would peoples starting 11 look like if you guys were picking?

Mine would be - Hart,Jones,Jags,Cahill,Baines,Gerrard,Wilshere,Sterling,Rooney,Barkley,Sturridge.

I'm going for a 2-1 to England. But I suspect it's going to be a very nervy affair. Cool heads needed, especially with the inc. playacting

look there is a troll stick to the point this is about england and not about any club bullshit

What would peoples starting 11 look like if you guys were picking?

Mine would be - Hart,Jones,Jags,Cahill,Baines,Gerrard,Wilshere,Sterling,Rooney,Barkley,Sturridge.

Hart, Johnson (Simply because I thought he did ok last game), Cahill, Jagielka, Baines (Even though he was poor last game)

Gerrard, Wilshere

Sterling Rooney Welbeck (Had a good game vs Italy)

Sturridge

Uruguay missing Diego Lugano is a blow for us I think as his lack of pace would of been something we could really exploit.

Bringing the huddlestone debate here for all those interested

Yes indeed. Well said.

Championship league player at best.

Clearly not, seeing how well he's done this year.

Hull were the only team that wanted him so that says wonders for him.

Oh, didn't know you were such an in the know journalist with strong links to Tom Huddlestone.

The way you are going on he is World class. Laughable.

Straw manning already? Nice.

Cant wait to see the top clubs wanting him. Oh yeah, they dont thats why he is at Hull.

Which obviously makes him useless. Except for the fact that he outperformed pretty much every English defensive midfielder this year other than Cork and Delph.

I have followed his career and the player that is better is Livermore by a country mile.

Except in every concievably metric Huddlestone is superior. It's not even close. Even Garth ******* Crooks thinks he's better. When you know less about football than Garth Crooks you should really be taking a look at yourself.

Yes I have watched Hull this year and Huddlestone is still the same player that Spurs released because he is not any good for a top side. If you think he is the future then I am sorry you need to get a grip.

Alright, so leaving aside all logic and reason, who do you think is the future? You can't just shoot down suggestions without offering some of your own. Please, enlighten me.

Oh yeah Godcubed is a tactical genius because he pulls stats from other websites, how silly of me not to realise that!!!. Stats can be used to turn a **** player into a worldie if believed.

Holy ****. This is properly stupid.

At no point has anyone called me a tactical genius (...well, other than you) and more pertinently at no point has anyone called Tom Huddlestone world class, because he isn't. He is very competent, and he is a very good tackler. Some stats can be used to prove bullshit points, but some are basically irrefutable. A tackling stat is one such irrefutable stat. If you pull off 80+ tackles per season, you are a good tackler. Simple as that.

I actually take time out to use my own eyes to judge players on abilities and not from websites or what other so wannabe called experts believe because they have keyboards to type stats from.

And you consider yourself an expert because you criticise a player that's done well this season with accusations are patently false while dismissing all facts and figures and also not offering any credible alternative. Top job sunshine, I'll let the Beeb know they've got someone worse than Robbie Savage. They'll jump at the chance.

Again if Huddlestone is that good he would be playing in a side that is challenging at the top end when Spurs let him go.

Mhmm. That explains why players playing for great top-end clubs played so well this tournament, like Glen Johnson. Christ knows why we took so many Southampton players, they only finished 8th and are therefore substandard. No idea why we took Fraser Forster, he's not even in the English leagues! In the future we should make it simpler, and just not have any team that comes below sixth eligible to have their players picked for England.

He is not, end of argument as the top managers know what he is lacking in. Wenger would be in for him if he is so good, So would Mourinho and half the managers that watch players on a regular basis. So yeah as you said what more needs to be said about a player that is hardly any good and not rated by top managers. End of debate all round.

Do you actually believe this, or are you just ******* silly?

No, really. Do you honestly think that the only way a player can possibly be good is if he's at a big club with a top manager?

It's completely nonsensical. Pick the players that are PLAYING WELL, not the ones that are at big clubs. If England picked on form and merit more often then we might play better. By your metric, Fabian Delph will never get an England chance despite having played very well this season. Steven Caulker could come back up to the Prem after being bought by, say, Swansea, because the top six are all happy with their centre-backs or buy from abroad 'cause it's cheaper. Unfortunately, Steven will never get an England start despite being a quality player with plenty of potential. Saido Berahino, a player who has come through all the youth systems of England and has begun to excel as a promising young player for West Brom: well he might as well declare eligibility to Burundi, because we should never pick a West Brom player.

Bobby Moore should never have played for England. He was only a West Ham player, and they didn't even win the league in the quarter decade he was there. Gary Lineker was a ****** pick for England. Did you know he spent the majority of his career at Leicester?

It's a truly ridiculous position to hold. Look at France. Their top players all play for the best teams, as you'd expect. But the supporting cast, the ones who allow them to shine, are picked on form. Remy Cabella got picked because he was on great form, despite playing for Montpellier. Antoine Griezmann got a chance in Franck Ribery's absence and is playing his socks off despite his club side being Real Sociedad. ****, Loic Remy's team is QPR and he got picked!

Your opinion is fundamentally flawed, but I'm not going to be arrogant enough to call any argument over just so that in my own head I can pretend to have the last word. Tom Huddlestone, no matter what your preconceived notions of him are, had a very good season, and plays in a style and position England need to try players in. As such, he should get his chance, alongside his peers like Fabian Delph and Jack Cork. These three players, despite being 'not rated by top managers' - which, by the way, is another stupid debate, given that football isn't just a case of the best players instantly rising to the top all of the time - have outperformed other players from their own country and others to nail down starting spots and play very well. Glen Johnson's performances for England over the past year prove why we need to pick on form and not on size of club; do any of us really think that Nathaniel Clyne would've been worse? I truly doubt it. And that's why your argument is silly, quite past the fact that you've not offered any of your own options. Oh, come to think of it, let me point out something: the only one out of either of us who HAS actually offered some alternatives is the guy who's putting forward the left-field choice in the first place - me.

Yes indeed. Well said.

Oh, didn't know you were such an in the know journalist with strong links to Tom Huddlestone.

Which obviously makes him useless. Except for the fact that he outperformed pretty much every English defensive midfielder this year other than Cork and Delph.

Except in every concievably metric Huddlestone is superior. It's not even close. Even Garth ******* Crooks thinks he's better. When you know less about football than Garth Crooks you should really be taking a look at yourself.

Alright, so leaving aside all logic and reason, who do you think is the future? You can't just shoot down suggestions without offering some of your own. Please, enlighten me.

At no point has anyone called me a tactical genius (...well, other than you) and more pertinently at no point has anyone called Tom Huddlestone world class, because he isn't. He is very competent, and he is a very good tackler. Some stats can be used to prove bullshit points, but some are basically irrefutable. A tackling stat is one such irrefutable stat. If you pull off 80+ tackles per season, you are a good tackler. Simple as that.

And you consider yourself an expert because you criticise a player that's done well this season with accusations are patently false while dismissing all facts and figures and also not offering any credible alternative. Top job sunshine, I'll let the Beeb know they've got someone worse than Robbie Savage. They'll jump at the chance.

Mhmm. That explains why players playing for great top-end clubs played so well this tournament, like Glen Johnson. Christ knows why we took so many Southampton players, they only finished 8th and are therefore substandard. No idea why we took Fraser Forster, he's not even in the English leagues! In the future we should make it simpler, and just not have any team that comes below sixth eligible to have their players picked for England.

No, really. Do you honestly think that the only way a player can possibly be good is if he's at a big club with a top manager?

It's completely nonsensical. Pick the players that are PLAYING WELL, not the ones that are at big clubs. If England picked on form and merit more often then we might play better. By your metric, Fabian Delph will never get an England chance despite having played very well this season. Steven Caulker could come back up to the Prem after being bought by, say, Swansea, because the top six are all happy with their centre-backs or buy from abroad 'cause it's cheaper. Unfortunately, Steven will never get an England start despite being a quality player with plenty of potential. Saido Berahino, a player who has come through all the youth systems of England and has begun to excel as a promising young player for West Brom: well he might as well declare eligibility to Burundi, because we should never pick a West Brom player.

Bobby Moore should never have played for England. He was only a West Ham player, and they didn't even win the league in the quarter decade he was there. Gary Lineker was a ****** pick for England. Did you know he spent the majority of his career at Leicester?

It's a truly ridiculous position to hold. Look at France. Their top players all play for the best teams, as you'd expect. But the supporting cast, the ones who allow them to shine, are picked on form. Remy Cabella got picked because he was on great form, despite playing for Montpellier. Antoine Griezmann got a chance in Franck Ribery's absence and is playing his socks off despite his club side being Real Sociedad. ****, Loic Remy's team is QPR and he got picked!

Your opinion is fundamentally flawed, but I'm not going to be arrogant enough to call any argument over just so that in my own head I can pretend to have the last word. Tom Huddlestone, no matter what your preconceived notions of him are, had a very good season, and plays in a style and position England need to try players in. As such, he should get his chance, alongside his peers like Fabian Delph and Jack Cork. These three players, despite being 'not rated by top managers' - which, by the way, is another stupid debate, given that football isn't just a case of the best players instantly rising to the top all of the time - have outperformed other players from their own country and others to nail down starting spots and play very well. Glen Johnson's performances for England over the past year prove why we need to pick on form and not on size of club; do any of us really think that Nathaniel Clyne would've been worse? I truly doubt it. And that's why your argument is silly, quite past the fact that you've not offered any of your own options. Oh, come to think of it, let me point out something: the only one out of either of us who HAS actually offered some alternatives is the guy who's putting forward the left-field choice in the first place - me.

tl;dr

The one I can't get is Ryan Shawcross.... **** I think the only reason I can think of why he doesn't get picked anymore is because he genuinely plays for Stoke.... that's all I can think of, literally.

I know he was a bit dodgy in his 1 cap but honestly he's usually a really good CB and deserves more than 1 chance in a friendly against Zlatan.

****, look at Cahill and Jagielka... arguably made errors in both games of the WC and I'm sure they'll be picked again.

Last edited:
Yes indeed. Well said.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ so much **** to read through I fell asleep. Congratulations on being able to quote so much. If I dont actually know so much according to you then you obviously have an interest in my opinion if you disagree with it soi much. Hey tactical genius (as if) he is 27 and had 4 international appearances. Everyone has overlooked him for a reason. From being dropped by Redknapp and replaced by Scott Parker. Not being used by AVB and sold to a team that is his standard. Capello looked but realised he is not the player you think he is. Hodgson has called him to the squad once. The only thing flawed is your dribble about him. As I said on the other thread end of debate. If you want to carry it on lets do it by pm and i will show you how little you know as to do it here would be you embarreasing yourself.. You know nothing yourself if you think he is the man for England. Get over your over inflated ego on thinking you know it all. YOU DONT.

West Ham were one of the top teams in England in the sixties. Oh and Lineker went on to play for Barcelona!!!!!!!! How little you know by trying to throw rubbish into a debate which you know absolutely nothing about. Go back to researching players properly if you are going to use examples like that to counter an argument. Just shown your argument to a few Spurs fans who like me have supported Spurs for 30 years and they agree that you know absolutley nowt. Congrats on giving us the biggest laugh this week. We have needed it since England got knocked out. I bow to your inferior knowledge. The best bit was adding Fabian Delph into the equation. Belly laughs all round. Ever thought of taking up stand up for a living. Your jokes are far better than your opinions.

Last edited:
The one I can't get is Ryan Shawcross.... **** I think the only reason I can think of why he doesn't get picked anymore is because he genuinely plays for Stoke.... that's all I can think of, literally.

I know he was a bit dodgy in his 1 cap but honestly he's usually a really good CB and deserves more than 1 chance in a friendly against Zlatan.

****, look at Cahill and Jagielka... arguably made errors in both games of the WC and I'm sure they'll be picked again.

Think we need a good partnership but its hard to find with players not together regularly. Both Cahill and Jagielka are better individuals than Shawcross but their partnership seems to lack leadership

Its the reason Cahill-Terry would have been perfect. Looking back, i would have added Cole in there as well but pre-tournament i thought his exclusion was correct

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ so much **** to read through I fell asleep. Congratulations on being able to quote so much. If I dont actually know so much according to you then you obviously have an interest in my opinion if you disagree with it soi much. Hey tactical genius (as if) he is 27 and had 4 international appearances. Everyone has overlooked him for a reason. From being dropped by Redknapp and replaced by Scott Parker. Not being used by AVB and sold to a team that is his standard. Capello looked but realised he is not the player you think he is. Hodgson has called him to the squad once. The only thing flawed is your dribble about him. As I said on the other thread end of debate. If you want to carry it on lets do it by pm and i will show you how little you know as to do it here would be you embarreasing yourself.. You know nothing yourself if you think he is the man for England. Get over your over inflated ego on thinking you know it all. YOU DONT.

West Ham were one of the top teams in England in the sixties. Oh and Lineker went on to play for Barcelona!!!!!!!! How little you know by trying to throw rubbish into a debate which you know absolutely nothing about. Go back to researching players properly if you are going to use examples like that to counter an argument. Just shown your argument to a few Spurs fans who like me have supported Spurs for 30 years and they agree that you know absolutley nowt. Congrats on giving us the biggest laugh this week. We have needed it since England got knocked out. I bow to your inferior knowledge.

YOU KEEP MISSING THE POINT... ARE YOU ******* SIMPLE....

I apologise for the language but you just come across as such a douche who keeps arguing back when you don't appear to have a clue about what the point is here....

HUDDLESTONE ISN'T WORLD CLASS... NO ONE IS SAYING HE IS.... BUT WHAT WE ARE SAYING IS HE IS ONE OF THE VERY FEW HOLDING MIDFIELDERS FOR ENGLAND UNDER 30 WHO HAS HAD A GOOD SEASON AND WHO WE CAN PUT INTO THIS ENGLAND TEAM.... WHO ELSE IS THERE???? DONT SAY CARRICK LIKE LAST TIME BECAUSE EVERYONE WITH ANY KIND OF SENSE KNOWS GOING BACK TO A 32 YEAR OLD NOW TO BUILD A TEAM AROUND WOULD BE STUPID.

tl;dr: #startwilf
Both Young and Zaha. They would bring that winning mentality that United has. Maybe even Cleverley for a tempo as well. It could work because they are United players, and they must be world class.

YOU KEEP MISSING THE POINT... ARE YOU ******* SIMPLE....

I apologise for the language but you just come across as such a douche who keeps arguing back when you don't appear to have a clue about what the point is here....

HUDDLESTONE ISN'T WORLD CLASS... NO ONE IS SAYING HE IS.... BUT WHAT WE ARE SAYING IS HE IS ONE OF THE VERY FEW HOLDING MIDFIELDERS FOR ENGLAND UNDER 30 WHO HAS HAD A GOOD SEASON AND WHO WE CAN PUT INTO THIS ENGLAND TEAM.... WHO ELSE IS THERE???? DONT SAY CARRICK LIKE LAST TIME BECAUSE EVERYONE WITH ANY KIND OF SENSE KNOWS GOING BACK TO A 32 YEAR OLD NOW TO BUILD A TEAM AROUND WOULD BE STUPID.

Throwing insults how mature. Calling someone simple because they have an opinion on a player that is not good enough. I also said yesterday that all the players Hodgson took to the world cup were far better and still will be better than Huddlestone. You kindly ommited that bit I believe. So why name players when they are already in the squad that are better. If you want to throw any more insults and use Caps to make your opinion look like you are desperate to get a response then I pity you. I also said yesterday that why put inferior players above others just because of age. If a players still good enough to play at a level regarding age then keep him in instead of using sub standard players. I owned your argument yesterday and now you still want to carry it on. When you have the ammunition to use in a debate then use it but you dont as you have also kept going over the same points. It's so easy to insult someone over a keyboard. Congratulations if it makes you feel better that someone has a differing opinion to you and you just insult them.

Yeah Shawcross is an interesting one. He's been a very solid CB for a while now. I honestly think that had he not broken Ramsey's leg by accident he'd have at least ten caps by now. I think Cahill had a decent WC, but Jagielka was shaky at times, maybe short of fitness.

West Ham were one of the top teams in England in the sixties. Oh and Lineker went on to play for Barcelona!!!!!!!! How little you know by trying to throw rubbish into a debate which you know absolutely nothing about. Go back to researching players properly if you are going to use examples like that to counter an argument. Just shown your argument to a few Spurs fans who like me have supported Spurs for 30 years and they agree that you know absolutley nowt. Congrats on giving us the biggest laugh this week. We have needed it since England got knocked out. I bow to your inferior knowledge. The best bit was adding Fabian Delph into the equation. Belly laughs all round. Ever thought of taking up stand up for a living. Your jokes are far better than your opinions.

Yes, I do have an interest in your opinion. I actually enjoy seeing other peoples' opinions so long as they're well reasoned, which is why I'm so disappointed with this 'debate'.

Huddlestone has been overlooked because at the age of 25, when he was breaking into the Spurs first team and putting in good performances, he got injured. During the time he was out, Sandro - a habitually underrated player who is one of the finest DMs in the Premiership - took his spot and excelled. By the time Thudd got back, Sandro had made the position his own. There's no shame in losing your spot to Sandro and Scott Parker (who, lest we forget, played very well for Spurs), but he needed game time, so he moved to Hull and did excellently. I fail to see how this makes him bad. As a side note, you argue like the small guy hiding behind a bouncer. "COME LETS GO I CAN TAKE YOU but not here lets do it next Wednesday when I can not turn up." I'm not the one here claiming to know everything, I'm just offering an opinion and some alternatives.

Speaking of which, you still haven't named one possible alternative. All you're doing is dismissing examples out of hand. If you became England manager we wouldn't field anyone because "DNT MEHK ME LAFF LEL THYRE NOT KWALITY".

My god, you showed it to some Spurs fans and they agreed with you? I must be right then!

Give me some examples of people who should be picked ahead of Huddlestone.

Think we need a good partnership but its hard to find with players not together regularly. Both Cahill and Jagielka are better individuals than Shawcross but their partnership seems to lack leadership

Its the reason Cahill-Terry would have been perfect. Looking back, i would have added Cole in there as well but pre-tournament i thought his exclusion was correct

Cahill - Terry would've been great but sadly it didn't happen. Looking forward, I think Caulker needs a chance, as does Curtis Davies. Both had good seasons in teams that weren't the best at defending.

Thinking some people here should apply to ITV. If they employed Adrian Chiles then there is hope for the above to prove they know nothing as well.

Throwing insults how mature. Calling someone simple because they have an opinion on a player that is not good enough. I also said yesterday that all the players Hodgson took to the world cup were far better and still will be better than Huddlestone. You kindly ommited that bit I believe. So why name players when they are already in the squad that are better. If you want to throw any more insults and use Caps to make your opinion look like you are desperate to get a response then I pity you. I also said yesterday that why put inferior players above others just because of age. If a players still good enough to play at a level regarding age then keep him in instead of using sub standard players. I owned your argument yesterday and now you still want to carry it on. When you have the ammunition to use in a debate then use it but you dont as you have also kept going over the same points. It's so easy to insult someone over a keyboard. Congratulations if it makes you feel better that someone has a differing opinion to you and you just insult them.

You know nothing... Get over your over inflated ego

2522333-funny-gif-jim-carrey-laughing.gif

Back