England Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter iNickStuff
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4K
  • Views Views 377K
Hart, Walker, Cahill, Caulker/Jones, Gibbs, Henderson, Wilshere, Chamberlain, Walcott, Sturridge and Sterling.

People who say Glen Johnson as RB are ****** mental... he's ****. Clyne or Walker any day of the week.

I'm hoping that from now on Hodgson stops picking the squad based on reputation and sentiment, and does it based on pure merit. We cannot afford to keep going out with a whimper. Not saying we have a god given right to qualify for every single tournament every single time-that right has to be earned regardless of a countries stature in the footballing world, but this World cup was just unacceptable.

Jurgen Klinsmann for England manager! Forget Hodgson... he's old news. :D

Jurgen Klinsmann for England manager! Forget Hodgson... he's old news. :D

Well **** said his job is safe. So we're gonna win the Euro's. Then we got Roy for next world cup.

Heard it here first (H)

Well **** said his job is safe. So we're gonna win the Euro's. Then we got Roy for next world cup.

Heard it here first (H)

The more realistic option is we go out early and **** still says his job is safe.... sad times.

Caulker's a boss. I watched him regularly in the flesh down here in Cardiff, he's a superb player.

Jones has been progressing okay, he is only 22 after all, and he's spent a lot of time in different positions. It's Smalling I'm worries about: he seems to have plateaued.

Caulker, Jones and Stones and maybe James Tomkins should be our promising crop of CBs from now on, with Cahill and Davies as the veterans. Other outsiders could potentially include Scott Dann (had a good half year with Palace, let's see how it goes), Eric Dier (crazy talented but young) and Shawcross (deserves a cap). Smalling will be in and about as well.

I for one believe Smalling will become excellent CB as he has everything in his locker. With Rio and Vida gone maybe this is the right time for him to step up.

Jones, Smalling, Caulker, Stones as England CB options for few years IMO. Jones will get lot of attention as he is a "warrior" type player but Smalling will become better CB.

Also would love to see Clyne getting few chances, he can't be worse than Walker and Johnson for sure.

p.s: apologies for bringing it back as I was not arsed to read complete debate, did we find out the better holding midfielder (English) than Huddlestone last season?

BBC Sport - World Cup 2014: Steven Gerrard says Harry Redknapp should talk

If the above is true then yeah I agree with Gerrard. It is well known that players from certain clubs cry off with injury when it is a pointless friendly and then three days later are playing back in the premier league looking like they had nothing wrong with them.

Or it could be Redknapp has been quiet from spouting his his usual guff and needs to put his oar in.

People who say Glen Johnson as RB are ****** mental... he's ****. Clyne or Walker any day of the week.

How Glen Johnson has won over 50 caps for England amazes me!!!!

Because Johnson for a long period was a very good RB, espeically attacking-wise which the modern game seems to be more about... I mean even though he was poor this year it was his run and assist which put it on a plate for Rooney

Kyle Walker is terrible. No footballing brain and uses his pace to get him out of a mess he always puts himself in. Clyne is a good young player, but even he spent large amounts on the bench for Saints last season

Johnson continues to play because we have little better at the moment

Micah Richards before he was injured and lost his place to Zabaleta, was a very good RB. Would have been superb for England NT. Shame though how it ended..

Oh wait, it never started as for some strange reasons he was always dropped.

Kyle Walker is terrible. No footballing brain and uses his pace to get him out of a mess he always puts himself in.

Watched him regularly last year and when he makes a mistake he does not use his pace to get him out of it. He cost us alot with stupid mistakes which led to goals. Since he won his young player of the year award he has been getting worse. He has this amazing habit of switching off when it matters.

Watched him regularly last year and when he makes a mistake he does not use his pace to get him out of it. He cost us alot with stupid mistakes which led to goals. Since he won his young player of the year award he has been getting worse. He has this amazing habit of switching off when it matters.

I should have rephrased really. IF he gets himself out of trouble his pace does help him of a fair amount of occasions but his positional sense and lack of concentration is poor. It is amazing how much he has regressed the past few years

I should have rephrased really. IF he gets himself out of trouble his pace does help him of a fair amount of occasions but his positional sense and lack of concentration is poor. It is amazing how much he has regressed the past few years

Glen Johnson is 29 though and Kyle Walker is still only 24... which is relatively young... at least if he does make a mistake his pace can sometimes make up for it as mentioned.

I still much prefer Walker over Johnson, but Nathaniel Clyne over them both.

Walker had a poor year last year but so did the whole Spurs Team! He just needs to refine a few parts of his game & he could be a really good RB in a year or so

England were stifled by not having a natural defensive midfielder. Against good opposition you have to have a sweeper in midfield, especially when your wingbacks provide the only natural width. Wellbeck is not a winger and can't cross for toffee, Rooney can do a job offensively, and has a decent pass with weaker foot but is defensively unsuited to the role, and Sterling is a modern floating player - not going to provide a lot of width all the time. I think Lineker is right in that England should have had 3 in the centre to cope with Italy. It kept being worked wide for 1 on 1's and crosses eventually provided the winner. Against Uruguay I have heard that they were both well matched, but I saw in Uruguay more energy in winning it high up the pitch (first goal), and more anticipation on 2nd balls (2nd goal) - and they were ostensibly playing a compact 4-4-2.

Glen Johnson is 29 though and Kyle Walker is still only 24... which is relatively young... at least if he does make a mistake his pace can sometimes make up for it as mentioned.

I still much prefer Walker over Johnson, but Nathaniel Clyne over them both.

I prefer Johnson over all three and that is saying something considering the season Glen has had

Clyne seems to be being overhyped and although he is a good young player has not played anywhere near the standard of international football and has been fighting for his place at Southampton with Calum Chambers

Because Johnson for a long period was a very good RB, espeically attacking-wise which the modern game seems to be more about... I mean even though he was poor this year it was his run and assist which put it on a plate for Rooney

Kyle Walker is terrible. No footballing brain and uses his pace to get him out of a mess he always puts himself in. Clyne is a good young player, but even he spent large amounts on the bench for Saints last season

Johnson continues to play because we have little better at the moment

And for me he plays like a player without any competition.

Biggest thing i think Hodgson got wrong was the Central Midfield area.. Gerrard especially was deployed incorrectly and it cost us

For Liverpool, Gerrard dropped in as the third CB and was a ball-player allowing the two full backs to push on and give us width and gave Henderson a bit of freedom to go forward

Hodgson made them two fairly static central midfielders and Gerrard was supposed to be the ball winning midfielder, something he is clearly not

A line up almost like this would have suited England alot more (when we have the ball obviously)

------------------Hart

-------Cahill - Gerrard - Jagielka
----Johnson --Henderson -------Baines

------ Sterling - Rooney - Welbeck
----------------- Sturridge

Back