England Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter iNickStuff
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4K
  • Views Views 377K
The 3 in midfield with Gerrard acting in halfback role would have seen them get more possession from Italy I'm sure. The amount of completed passes between Italians in that game should have indicated early on that England needed one of the front 4 in the middle. Wilshere was pants when he came on, but then Wishere was looking at that point to get forward and create chances, not to hold the ball and build patient play. Aside from Henderson, Gerrard and Lampard not sure if England even carried a true centre midfield player - maybe Milner. His work on the left side of the midfield trio might have been helpful to Baines aswell, who no doubt will want to forget his (possibly last) World Cup experience

I think only Hodgson in the entire ****** country didn't know that the we need an extra man in midfield against the Italians.... he's ****** useless, I have no idea how he has managed so many teams.

13/05/2014
Should've named Carroll, Lambert, Crouch, and Carlton ******* Cole as the strikers. 6-0-4. Get the defenders to lump it up for 90 minutes. That's the only way we'll get a ******* result out of any of our games.

May as well use this tactic considering Woy doesn't really do tactics.

I called it.

Wants to prolong his Pool career, and maybe thinks cant offer anymore to the national team. Will be a miss tbh, not been great for England but always gives his all, and his experience will be missed. Assume Rooney will be made captain.

Speaking on the FA website, Steven Gerrard said:
"I have enjoyed every minute of representing my country and it is a sad day for me knowing that I won't pull on the England shirt again.
"However, I do look forward to continuing my strong relationship with the FA and helping out in any way I can going forward.
"This has been a very difficult decision, one of the toughest I've had to make in my career. I have agonised over this since coming back from Brazil and have spoken to family, friends and people close to me in the game before coming to this point."

England manager Roy Hodgson said:
"While I'm disappointed in the decision, I can entirely understand Steven's situation and can have no complaints given the incredible service he has given to his country.
"I must respect his wishes due to the discussions we have had and the amount of thought and consideration he himself has given it.
"He is an incredible man and a fantastic footballer who we have all been blessed to see in an England shirt so often. We shall miss his leadership qualities as we look ahead to the qualification campaign with a youthful group of players."

Gerrard retiring is long over-due, we need someone else given a chance and a more youthful midfield will help England. Gerrard had his day long ago.

Personally I'm going to miss him representing England-his work rate was second to none, and okay there's been mishaps but be realistic-he's not the only one. He always tried and gave his all. Some quarters are going to be overly critical but hey ho-that's their prerogative.

So long Stevie G.

I agree with Phil Mcnulty

Great contribution to England & good timing too after the World Cup. Those who questioned Gerrard's contribution to England never, ever came up with a better alternative. Always worthy of his place.

Very glad Gerrard has retired and in my opinion was never right choice for captain in the first place. Got so much praise last season despite being the shield for a defence who conceded 50 goals in the league. I do feel he is the media's darling and can do no wrong. Sensational footballer no doubt about that but kept out Scholes and Lampard (a man who was scoring and assisting for fun) had to sacrafise his game just to fit him in at times for England. Came at the right time and Liverpool will benefit from this no doubt.

I agree that he was harshly (and sometimes plain wrongly) criticized, and he certainly hasn't been any worse than anyone else recently. In fact, I'd say he was one of our better performers at the WC, but it is the right time for him to retire.

We have a few options to replace him, the problem is, each has their own downfalls.

Very glad Gerrard has retired and in my opinion was never right choice for captain in the first place. Got so much praise last season despite being the shield for a defence who conceded 50 goals in the league. I do feel he is the media's darling and can do no wrong. Sensational footballer no doubt about that but kept out Scholes and Lampard (a man who was scoring and assisting for fun) had to sacrafise his game just to fit him in at times for England. Came at the right time and Liverpool will benefit from this no doubt.

**** me, there's always a 'but' with you isn't there?

Colback. That is all.

DEEEELLLLPH

That team is so stunningly average, maybe we'll actually do well for once.

Back