England Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter iNickStuff
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4K
  • Views Views 377K
Marco Reus is paid 140K pounds per week which is 10 Million Euro per year.
I made a big error there. He was earning 40k a week or something rediculous until his recent contract. That contract also contained a £21 Million release clause. Edit: A quick Google search told me that he earned €60,000 a year which was about £45,000 a week.

Last edited:
Worryingly, he has brought it on himself when he should have known (or been advised) what the likely backlash would have been
I don't think that he expected large scale leaks to be fair, which Liverpool are responsible for. If Liverpool really wanted to keep him, they would done better to protect him from the media. That being said, Sterling is in the public eye all the time, playing for Liverpool football club and should have been prepared to face (some unjustified) criticism due to media sensationalism. This fiasco is music to the ears of the press.

I don't think that he expected large scale leaks to be fair, which Liverpool are responsible for. If Liverpool really wanted to keep him, they would done better to protect him from the media. That being said, Sterling is in the public eye all the time, playing for Liverpool football club and should have been prepared to face (some unjustified) criticism due to media sensationalism. This fiasco is music to the ears of the press.

The leaks started it but the reaction from the fans has come from his and his agents actions since then

Liverpool handled it poorly and almost tried to bully Sterling into signing a contract on occasions, but he and his agents actions have caused such a hostile reception... Silly move from Liverpool but an appalling last few months for Raheem

Exactly how and exactly what leaks are Liverpool responsible for when Sterling himself decided to have a totally unsanctioned BBC interview where HE revealed he'd turned down the 100K P/W offer; and then went on to compound it by bringing it all up again the final week of the season.

This is ALL on him.

Exactly how and exactly what leaks are Liverpool responsible for when Sterling himself decided to have a totally unsanctioned BBC interview where HE revealed he'd turned down the 100K P/W offer; and then went on to compound it by bringing it all up again the final week of the season.

This is ALL on him.

As I mentioned in the last post, Sterling and his agent have caused such a hostile reaction with fans but Liverpool and Rodgers mentioning Sterling had rejected previous contract offers and should sign a deal started it off

This is ALL on him.
The interview was way after the leaks, although I agree that his agent is misguiding him. It was all public knowledge by then.

The interview was way after the leaks, although I agree that his agent is misguiding him. It was all public knowledge by then.

What leaks? The club let no details over his contract out. Just that talks were ongoing.

What am I missing here?

As I mentioned in the last post, Sterling and his agent have caused such a hostile reaction with fans but Liverpool and Rodgers mentioning Sterling had rejected previous contract offers and should sign a deal started it off

He get's asked where we're at in negotiations and he answers as truthfully but blandly as he could. No details were passed as such.

I don't see how the club or manager is at fault at all here.

I made a big error there. He was earning 40k a week or something rediculous until his recent contract. That contract also contained a £21 Million release clause. Edit: A quick Google search told me that he earned €60,000 a year which was about £45,000 a week.

He signed a new contract worth 10Million euros.

Liverpool always leaked details about contract how 100K was offered and Rodgers said Sterling will sign new contract. After that Sterling did interview with BBC without club's permission.

Both parties are to blame but some Liverpool fans just don't see anything wrong from club side. Not you LFCM, there are few on this site too.

You could have dealt with him much better than you actually did initially so its not all on him. Club knew his position for 2 years.

Liverpool always leaked details about contract how 100K was offered and Rodgers said Sterling will sign new contract. After that Sterling did interview with BBC without club's permission.

Both parties are to blame but some Liverpool fans just don't see anything wrong from club side. Not you LFCM, there are few on this site too.

You could have dealt with him much better than you actually did initially so its not all on him. Club knew his position for 2 years.

Yep, Liverpool handled it poorly but at the start the fans were not exactly against Sterling... The actions of Ward and Sterling himself have since made him target number 1

Nobody comes out looking good on this but it effects Sterling more than anyone

Liverpool always leaked details about contract how 100K was offered and Rodgers said Sterling will sign new contract.....

Not once through the process did the club or manager reveal any details of what was offered.

The press speculated, and only had that confirmed when Sterling decided to put himself and his team in the firing line by openly telling everyone he'd turned down £100K P/W.

I can fault Rodgers for a lot, but him answering questions as to where the club and Raheem were at as regards negotiations by saying to that point they were ongoing but he expected hum to sign as he was very happy and incredible deal was on the table I can't knock him for at all. That's as bland as you can be whilst being obligated to answer the sanctioned PL pressers.

The negative attention on Sterling has ALL been brought about by himself and his agent. The manager has gone out of his way to support and boost him publicly right through.

Last edited:
Not once through the process did the club or manager reveal any details of what was offered.

The press speculated, and only had that confirmed when Sterling decided to put himself and his team in the firing line by openly telling everyone he'd turned down £100K P/W.

Liverpool based journos printed 100K per week and it was obvious who leaked it and who was trying to put pressure on whom to sign a deal.

Liverpool based journos printed 100K per week and it was obvious who leaked it and who was trying to put pressure on whom to sign a deal.

The ridiculous notion that a 20 year old with less than 3 years football under his belt was being 'pressured' into accepting a 'mere' £100K a week not withstanding; the only 'leaks' through the whole process have come from the Sterling camp.

I'll happily take the club and manager to task when it's warranted but on this it hasn't been.

He's brought this all on himself.

The ridiculous notion that a 20 year old with less than 3 years football under his belt was being 'pressured' into accepting a 'mere' £100K a week not withstanding; the only 'leaks' through the whole process have come from the Sterling camp.

I'll happily take the club and manager to task when it's warranted but on this it hasn't been.

He's brought this all on himself.

20 year old or not, he was your best player when the offer was made as Sturridge was injured and Coutinho was off form in the first half of the season.

Why would Sterling camp even leak details which paints him as money grabbing merc?

And yes Liverpool put pressure on Sterling using their Journos.

Back