England Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter iNickStuff
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4K
  • Views Views 377K
Typical England... s**t! But at least I won £85 from a £10 bet by backing Iceland to beat us (I just had a feeling they would).

Made a nice optimistic post about us yesterday, said we could beat France if we get through tonight....and those ***** end up playing like that. That second half might just be the worst performance I've ever seen in sports. Absolutely embarrassing.

I would try my very best to get Ferguson out of retirement and let him take over the NT for 2-4 years. Think it'd be good with this talented team.

I really don't get the obsession with it having to be an English manager. If it's a choice between the likes of Southgate and pardew or a decent foreign manager I'd take the foreigner in a heartbeat.

That said, I'm struggling to think of many great options at all, English or foreign.

Always personally believed a National manager should be from that Nation. Particularly when it comes to major Country's. Have the likes of France, Holland, Italy, Spain, Germany ever had a foreign manager? Pretty sure the answers no and they wouldn't ever consider it. For England to do it, like they did with Eriksson and Capello, was embarrassing to me. It's like a small, developing Country who needs outside help. Except you're England. And that shouldn't be the case.

Does;t bother me none either way as I don't care for England. But I don't think it would be right to go non-English again personally.

Hodgson failed in every aspect, literally organisation, team, formation, selection, the list is endless.

That marking for their long-throw goal was shambles and putting Kane on free-kicks which were indirect.

You don't necessarily need the best manager, you just need someone who has a clue what he is actually doing, organisation, instills passion and confidence.

Just look at Iceland and Italy. Both teams don't have great players for the most part, but great mindset and plan to win the game.

Always personally believed a National manager should be from that Nation. Particularly when it comes to major Country's. Have the likes of France, Holland, Italy, Spain, Germany ever had a foreign manager? Pretty sure the answers no and they wouldn't ever consider it. For England to do it, like they did with Eriksson and Capello, was embarrassing to me. It's like a small, developing Country who needs outside help. Except you're England. And that shouldn't be the case.

Does;t bother me none either way as I don't care for England. But I don't think it would be right to go non-English again personally.

Agreed. It should be an English manager but unfortunately there's not many options available. Also the national job is a thankless job. But what do I care? The FA could hire a dog if they want, I couldn't give a s**t. Chelsea is all I need.

I predicted we'd get knocked out. Mates proceeded to mock me, saying I knew nothing about football etc.

Yeah. Who knows nothing now.

All that is well and good but it really comes down to whether we have suitable options. If we can get a world-class foreign manager instead of a mediocre English one, we should hire a foreigner. Of course, if they are two managers of equal quality then I would agree that hiring the English one would be better but we really don't have any good English ones around.

All that is well and good but it really comes down to whether we have suitable options. If we can get a world-class foreign manager instead of a mediocre English one, we should hire a foreigner. Of course, if they are two managers of equal quality then I would agree that hiring the English one would be better but we really don't have any good English ones around.

Playing Devil's Advocate, where did going foreign get you?

Capello had the best resume any England manager has ever had. Even he failed as badly as anyone else.

You've gone experienced. You've gone younger. You've gone foreign. And you're still getting the same mediocrity whichever way you go.

Even a young, inexperienced Englishman couldn't do any worse.

Wouldn't mind Slaven Bilic, bit of a long shot but reckon he could do that and West Ham.

But that's just it, we do need outside help. The national side has failed under English managers for decades, and there is a total dearth of talented English coaches. The difference between us and those countries you mentioned is that they regularly produce talented coaches. England doesn't. With little to no talented English coaches out there I really don't understand hiring someone **** just for the sake of getting an Englishman.

Capello was a disaster, granted, but I'd argue that was because of his tactical inflexibility and boot camp like approach to managing the team rather than because he was foreign. Sven was also a disappointment, but again I think you can point to other reasons for that teams failing's than being under a foreign coach, as evidenced by Steve McClaren's efforts with the core of the same team.

Like someone else said, if it's a choice between two equally talented managers, of course go with the Englishman. But if there are no suitable English managers, we're just shooting ourselves in the foot by hiring a loser for no real reason.

Also I'd like to just say that I don't agree with all the stick going the way of Roy Hodgson. By no means do I think he's perfect, and IMO he has made mistakes. But I also believe that the 11 he selected for this game, whether it be the 11 you would have picked or not, should have been more than good enough to beat Iceland.

They failed miserably. Not because it was a poorly balanced team selection, not because Hodgson changed his shape unnecessarily. He has done a good job of introducing the 433 and 4312 framework and getting the players used to it. They failed because after 60 minutes every single player had given up hope of finding a goal. They were scared to receive the ball, sloppy, and lacking in character. There is still clearly some sort of mental block and lack of belief deep in the psyche of every player who pulls on an England shirt, which doesn't exist when they play for their clubs.

Don't get me wrong, Hodgson may well have selected a different 11. He could have made substitutions sooner. Things like set piece takers were often questionable. But would different set piece takers and an earlier introduction of Vardy or Rashford really made a difference? Maybe, but probably not. I'm not by any means saying Hodgson has been great, but I honestly think the players let him down big time tonight. IMO they deserve the bulk of the blame, and I don't think there's anything drastically different the manager could have done.

Playing Devil's Advocate, where did going foreign get you?

Capello had the best resume any England manager has ever had. Even he failed as badly as anyone else.

You've gone experienced. You've gone younger. You've gone foreign. And you're still getting the same mediocrity whichever way you go.

Even a young, inexperienced Englishman couldn't do any worse.

I agree with you but we will still have a better chance of succeeding by getting in a good foreign manager as opposed to a mediocre English one like Hodgson.

Wouldn't mind Slaven Bilic, bit of a long shot but reckon he could do that and West Ham.

Don't think thats a good idea at all. Leonid Slutsky tried to do the same with Russia and CKSA Moscow and he failed. And EPL is far far more demanding than Russian League.

Spain, France and the Netherlands all have had foreign managers. For me as long as they do well couldn't care less where they came from

Only English manager of the top of my head I would be happy with is Eddie Howe so if not him then would want a foreign manager

Last edited:
Back