England Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter iNickStuff
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4K
  • Views Views 377K
Rooney has announced will retire after WC 2018.

After reading Allardyce wants to bring in Bradley Walsh and Paddy McGuinness to host 'quiz nights' for the England players, I'm surprised half the squad haven't voluntarily retired already!

Ross Barkley must be absolutely gutted to be missing out on that .....

Not sure if anyone cares, but the dutch FA (KNVB) is a ******* joke, consider yourselves lucky ;)

Because I've always had a soft spot for the Netherlands and the Ajax way in particular, out of pure curiosity what's the major problems going on over there?

Because I've always had a soft spot for the Netherlands and the Ajax way in particular, out of pure curiosity what's the major problems going on over there?

Imo it is that they are in an identity crisis. They noticed that we are miles behind in international football and there is no clear vision how to restore it. We have a major problem that the Eredivisie is like a u23 league for the top 3 (Ajax, PSV and Feyenoord) and that our top top talents are being transferred to the big clubs like the PL before they are 17.

This means that the dutch clubs have to compete with these insane contracts and promises these youngsters get, so the players will get anything they want and will never have to think for themselves and grow an attitude nor gain tactical insight.

From the moment they believe it isn't going as well as they like it they can just shout at their agent and some european mid-table club will give the guy a nice contract.

But from the KNVB / Dutch FA point of view there are many structural flaws from youth set-up to the executives.

In the youth set-up they still get a good technique and are focusing now more on phyisique which is good, but they forgot a few simple aspects like making the field smaller in the youth and playing with less people so you get more ball touches. There is also a lot of tactical rigidity (?). You only see 4-3-3 in the Netherlands and they just don't know how to react on other formations. Just look at Belgium at the Euro 2016. They did not know how to disarm the 5-men defenses. And imo there should be atleast a weekly training with the best talents of their youth category at a central location organised by the KNVB imo preferably at Papendal where most top athletes are training with the NT to get the top sport mentality and to bond as a team.

And then there's a huge problem with the staff since LVG left after the world cup. With the ultra defensive set-up NL always started they got far into the tournament (semi-finals), above expectations, which resulted into a discussion which style should be played. If we can still play 4-3-3 or if have to play more defensive / countre football.

Which follows to the next problem. They appointed Guus Hiddink as manager and he had no clear vision AND they promised Danny Blind to be the next manager after Euro 2016. While at that moment Ronald Koeman was available for the job. So... Guus Hiddink and Blind were indecisive with which route they wanted to go to. They were in doubt in playing LVG's system with 5 defenders or playing 4-3-3. Hiddink got sacked Blind got appointed and he still has no clue + he has very few experience and needs good Assistent Managers to support him.

Since NL did not qualify for the Euro's they decided they needed more experienced assistent and they appointed Advocaat, who left after 3 friendlies to manage a Turkish club, so they asked Ruud Gullit, which does not wanna join because he heard from Van Basten (other assistent) that Van Basten is going to leave, which the KNVB didn't tell Gullit. Then the big man from the KNVB decides to quit his job and they appoint his right hand with no experience.

There is actually even more going on but this is already a wall of text lol. In short no one wants to work for the KNVB anymore because it's so toxic and instable and are just giving jobs to their friends.

Thanks for that insight Ix. Real sorry to read about the current mess and how far standards have fallen when in the not too distant past you lead the World in setting those standards with new innovations on how to train/ how the game should be played.

Sounds like it's not so much the Dutch system/ ideals that need an overhaul but more so the right football people need putting in charge from the highest position on down.

No real surprises at all from Sam, Woy would've picked this team tbf.

Hart, Walker, Cahill, Stones, Rose, Dier, Henderson, Lallana, Rooney, Sterling, Kane.

Fancy Sterling to have a big game, looks completely rejuvenated under Pep. I even chucked a tenner on him to score anytime in the entire match at 4/1 (looks a little overpriced).

Still expect England to qualify with some ease for the World Cup before going out in the group stage despite having the easiest one in the world cup

Skrtel gets away with so much, and not just tonight, should've got his marching orders at least once in the Euro's too (particularly against Wales if my memory serves me right). For such well known offenders in the game, both he and Pepe get away with so much.

Skrtel gets away with so much, and not just tonight, should've got his marching orders at least once in the Euro's too (particularly against Wales if my memory serves me right). For such well known offenders in the game, both he and Pepe get away with so much.

About time.

Skrtel was told at half time to put his stamp on the game he missheard it as stamp on Kane

I thought Woy was sacked or left? Thought Big Sam was gonna shake things up? Same **** different manager!

To be fair, Guardiola/Mourinho/Klopp/Ancelotti etc wouldn't win anything with this lot. I'm willing to face facts, English players are simply not as good as they, the media, or the majority of English people think they are, and that's not a dig, just the harsh reality. There's not one world class player in the side (Rooney has certain attributes that are world class, but his deterioration in other areas have lost him the 'world class' tag in my opinion). So it doesn't matter if it's Woy, or Big Sam, they're not going to play like Germany or France or Argentina, etc.

They got the 3 points, job done, nothing more & nothing less. If Wales, Scotland or Ireland got the win, they'd be happy, not overly complaining about the performance. It's almost as if England think they're some sort of sleeping giant of International football :P have a few pints & be happy!

Predictable early evening of football.

England still bang average. Skrtel still a thug.

it's not about World Class. It's about being a team, and being able to execute the basics. England don't do that/

Need to stop obsessing about individual players and the "world class" tag, and start utilising space and movement. Tactically inept.

To be fair, Guardiola/Mourinho/Klopp/Ancelotti etc wouldn't win anything with this lot. I'm willing to face facts, English players are simply not as good as they, the media, or the majority of English people think they are, and that's not a dig, just the harsh reality. There's not one world class player in the side (Rooney has certain attributes that are world class, but his deterioration in other areas have lost him the 'world class' tag in my opinion). So it doesn't matter if it's Woy, or Big Sam, they're not going to play like Germany or France or Argentina, etc.

They got the 3 points, job done, nothing more & nothing less. If Wales, Scotland or Ireland got the win, they'd be happy, not overly complaining about the performance. It's almost as if England think they're some sort of sleeping giant of International football :P have a few pints & be happy!

Actually what makes Scottish fans happy a is England losing, supporting Scotland right now is to depressing to get happy about a win

it's not about World Class. It's about being a team, and being able to execute the basics. England don't do that/

Need to stop obsessing about individual players and the "world class" tag, and start utilising space and movement. Tactically inept.

Exactly. Look at Iceland.

Back