England Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter iNickStuff
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4K
  • Views Views 377K
Except, if you had picked Carrick, you would have a defintive system for the counter. Diagonal ball to your breaking wingers and forward, while being defensively solid. There is no English mid better than him at doing that. Also again doesnt mean you have to play Cahill or Terry, Jags and Lescott again perfectly capable of doing that.

Lampard has been playing a much more defensive role for Chelsea especially in the Champions League. His tackling and distribution on Saturday was the best i have ever seen it, maybe Hodgson has seen this.

Lampard has been playing a much more defensive role for Chelsea especially in the Champions League. His tackling and distribution on Saturday was the best i have ever seen it, maybe Hodgson has seen this.

he still isnt near Carrick's we've already discussed this. In that Role Carrick batters him all over the place. To say that from one game when Carrick has done it ALL SEASON is crazy.

The Role you are describing is a Regista with defensive capabilities and an eye for a long range passing. That is Carrick in a nutshell.

he still isnt near Carrick's we've already discussed this. In that Role Carrick batters him all over the place. To say that from one game when Carrick has done it ALL SEASON is crazy.

The Role you are describing is a Regista with defensive capabilities and an eye for a long range passing. That is Carrick in a nutshell.

Lampard has played that role more of less since Di Matteo came in not just Saturday. Hence why most of his goals have come from the spot not from his usual late darts into the box. He can do that role for England i have no doubt about that.

Except, if you had picked Carrick, you would have a defintive system for the counter. Diagonal ball to your breaking wingers and forward, while being defensively solid. There is no English mid better than him at doing that. Also again doesnt mean you have to play Cahill or Terry, Jags and Lescott again perfectly capable of doing that.

CARRICK ISN'T GOING! STOP MAKING A CASE FOR CARRICK! IT DOESN'T MATTER! HE. IS. NOT. GOING. Even if everyone with any sense thinks he should be.

We will just have to make do with what we have selected. At the end of the day, I don't think there is too much difference between the four CB's, in Cahill, Terry, Lescott and Jagielka, any combo of these four will be fine imo, all are of a similar standard.

Lampard has played that role more of less since Di Matteo came in not just Saturday. Hence why most of his goals have come from the spot not from his usual late darts into the box. He can do that role for England i have no doubt about that.

Lampard simply isnt as good at this as Carrick, by some way. Ther performances and stats show this. Lampard is a makeshift deep mid, Carrick is a natural regista whose short passing, long passing, tackling, interceptions, positioning (ie the key elements of this role) are all considerably superior. This isn't so much opinion as fact. Why shoehorn a player, when you can pick someone who naturally excels at it?

CARRICK ISN'T GOING! STOP MAKING A CASE FOR CARRICK! IT DOESN'T MATTER! HE. IS. NOT. GOING. Even if everyone with any sense thinks he should be.

We will just have to make do with what we have selected. At the end of the day, I don't think there is too much difference between the four CB's, in Cahill, Terry, Lescott and Jagielka, any combo of these four will be fine imo, all are of a similar standard.

NO! It annoys me! Every two years we find a way to shoot ourselves in the foot. It's like we enjoy making life as hard as possible!

Yes I'm still bitter :'(

Whaaaat... When did I ever say we should not pick Carrick or that we should play Cahill and Terry

NO! It annoys me! Every two years we find a way to shoot ourselves in the foot. It's like we enjoy making life as hard as possible!

Even if we had Carrick we wouldn't win it. Just be happy that he won't be able to get injured and will be nice and fit in time for next season. :P

Lampard simply isnt as good at this as Carrick, by some way. Ther performances and stats show this. Lampard is a makeshift deep mid, Carrick is a natural regista whose short passing, long passing, tackling, interceptions, positioning (ie the key elements of this role) are all considerably superior. This isn't so much opinion as fact. Why shoehorn a player, when you can pick someone who naturally excels at it?

Because Carrick assumed he should start what attitude is that to have, he deserves to be left out for that reason. All attributes you posted are all things Lampard can already do. He has only been playing in this position for 4 odd months and done a sensational job.

Was listening to a podcast yesterday and it had journo Neil Ashton on it (not sure who he works for but think its one of the red tops) and he fully understands why Rio and Carrick are not included. He believes England will try and play a bit like Chelsea have done in the Champions League and there are similarities. England are a side not as good as they believe they are so once they come to realise this the better, we cannot out play the bigger sides so why not just stop them first and maybe nick a goal. Like i said over a month ago now having Cole, Terry and Cahill 3 of your back 5 if you want to play this way would be hugely beneficial. And no one could complain if we defy all odds just like Chelsea done and went on to win the trophy.

What he is saying makes sense and I agree I think that's how we will and possibly should play. But it still doesn't explain why Carrick isn't going.

Because Carrick assumed he should start what attitude is that to have, he deserves to be left out for that reason. All attributes you posted are all things Lampard can already do. He has only been playing in this position for 4 odd months and done a sensational job.

He hasnt been sensational, dont exaggerate.

We shot ourselves in the foot when the FA took Terry's armband away against the managers will but didn't suspend him from playing which looked very petty indeed. Carrick is one player who i personally don't think could improve this team a huge amount.

Sigh no he didnt assume he should start. I already posted it this in full detail.

He hasnt been sensational, dont exaggerate.

Barca both legs he was sensational and on Saturday he looked like he was 27 again. In the big games for Chelsea yes he has been sensational.

We shot ourselves in the foot when the FA took Terry's armband away against the managers will but didn't suspend him from playing which looked very petty indeed. Carrick is one player who i personally don't think could improve this team a huge amount.

Thats a lot of rot RE: Carrick. When he does everything that Lamaprd would be asked to do, considerably better.

Now we have to make do instead,

Last edited:
Mike trumpeting carrick and jags zzzzzzz

Carrick is an idiot for making himself unavailable when a new manager has just come in. The only real players that are definite starters for England are Rooney, Cole, Hart and probably Gerrard now he is captain. He could of gone and tried to prove himself to Roy as a possible starter.

What he is saying makes sense and I agree I think that's how we will and possibly should play. But it still doesn't explain why Carrick isn't going.

Be much harder to play on the counter, seemingly exclusively relying on the fullbacks to break out now. I would love to know whats up with Richards that Roy wont pick him either.

Be much harder to play on the counter, seemingly exclusively relying on the fullbacks to break out now. I would love to know whats up with Richards that Roy wont pick him either.

This. Presumably he is going to use Lampard in this role, who is competent at it, and of course is superior at darting into the box late and clearly is a bigger goal threat than Carrick. Maybe this is why he is preferred, although shoehorning him in because he scores a lot seems the kind of thing Keith from the pub thinks we should do :)

The whole Richards thing is weird. To my knowledge nothing has ever been reported which might stain his reputation. It's a shame as he would be a big asset to us.

Back