England Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter iNickStuff
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4K
  • Views Views 377K
Mike trumpeting carrick and jags zzzzzzz

Carrick is an idiot for making himself unavailable when a new manager has just come in. The only real players that are definite starters for England are Rooney, Cole, Hart and probably Gerrard now he is captain. He could of gone and tried to prove himself to Roy as a possible starter.

Carrick has proven his worth to England time and again. Yes he should have gone anyway and was maybe being a bit precious, but IMO he should be starting most games.

This. Presumably he is going to use Lampard in this role, who is competent at it, and of course is superior at darting into the box late and clearly is a bigger goal threat than Carrick. Maybe this is why he is preferred, although shoehorning him in because he scores a lot seems the kind of thing Keith from the pub thinks we should do :)

The whole Richards thing is weird. To my knowledge nothing has ever been reported which might stain his reputation. It's a shame as he would be a big asset to us.

He is not shoehorning him in because he scores more. Hodgson has already said that it was Carrick who made himself unavailiable for the Euro 2012 squad because Carrick had made it clear that he did not want a bit-part role. So ultimately it was Carrick who is forcing us to shoehorn Lampard in

If we have to watch England play like Chelsea did against Barca and Bayern throughout the Euro's then god help us, surely we are better then that....

He is not shoehorning him in because he scores more. Hodgson has already said that it was Carrick who made himself unavailiable for the Euro 2012 squad because Carrick had made it clear that he did not want a bit-part role. So ultimately it was Carrick who is forcing us to shoehorn Lampard in

Well we could have taken him and not given him a bit part role.

This. Presumably he is going to use Lampard in this role, who is competent at it, and of course is superior at darting into the box late and clearly is a bigger goal threat than Carrick. Maybe this is why he is preferred, although shoehorning him in because he scores a lot seems the kind of thing Keith from the pub thinks we should do :)

The whole Richards thing is weird. To my knowledge nothing has ever been reported which might stain his reputation. It's a shame as he would be a big asset to us.

I've not heard anything bad out him. But both Capello and Hodgson have overlooked him massively. He did lose his spot at the end at at City, but that was because City wanted a defensive option, and Zab is much better. Here we are looking to counter down thanks, so surely powerful attacking fullbacks is what we need. Cant be a footballing reason, because he is better than Jones. Cant be a youth reason either.

Well we could have taken him and not given him a bit part role.

Or Carrick could have accepted his role and tried to prove himself to Hodgson that he is better suited to the role than the other midfielders. His stance is not going to get him anywhere

Or Carrick could have accepted his role and tried to prove himself to Hodgson that he is better suited to the role than the other midfielders. His stance is not going to get him anywhere

Indeed rather he had sucked it up. On the other hand, Hodgson saw him as a holding mid, which means he didnt recognise half of his talents.
Also hard to prove youself when you get 7 minutes here and there, which is what's been happening with him for the last 3 years with England.
Common sense who have started him anyway because we have no one else who can do what he does.

Last edited:

I agree Carrick should have gone and not thrown his toys out of the pram, but it needn't have been a problem in the first place, as he should have been guaranteed some game time.

Indeed. On the other hand, Hodgson saw him as a holding mid, which means he didnt recognise half of his talents.

Exactly but then he should have still gone and tried to convince Hodgson that he is more than a holding midfielder. If he is as good as you make out and is Englands best Central Midfielder, then that should not be a hard task

Exactly but then he should have still gone and tried to convince Hodgson that he is more than a holding midfielder. If he is as good as you make out and is Englands best Central Midfielder, then that should not be a hard task

See my edited post

If we have to watch England play like Chelsea did against Barca and Bayern throughout the Euro's then god help us, surely we are better then that....

Really?? Are we really better than that?? Can you see this England out playing the likes of France, Spain, Italy, Holland and many more?? I don't, playing the way Chelsea played may be the only way this England side could upset some sides.

I agree Carrick should have gone and not thrown his toys out of the pram, but it needn't have been a problem in the first place, as he should have been guaranteed some game time.

Well obviously Hodgson does not share your views as he does not think that highly of Carrick. Just because he is not guarenteed of game time which imo, only Rooney, Joe Hart and possibly Ashley Cole are then that does not mean he refuses to be a part of the squad.

His stance is not going to get him anywhere as I said earlier. In the end it will only prove to be further detrimental to his image

Really?? Are we really better than that?? Can you see this England out playing the likes of France, Spain, Italy, Holland and many more?? I don't, playing the way Chelsea played may be the only way this England side could upset some sides.

The only way you get better is to expand and try. Otherwise we will always be where we are. This is the exact problem with this country. "We arent good enough, so we shouldnt even try" It's a terrible attitude. There is a generation coming through, that likes to get the ball down and play. Are we going to waste them too like we did with this lot?

Swallow your ego. This England squad is very bad as compared to other top nations. But since this is a cup tournament, the best team does not always win. If we play open, attacking football then we will more than likely exit from the group stages.

If we play defensive, counter-attacking football then we do have a chance, no matter how small, of putting up a strong showing

Well obviously Hodgson does not share your views as he does not think that highly of Carrick. Just because he is not guarenteed of game time which imo, only Rooney, Joe Hart and possibly Ashley Cole are then that does not mean he refuses to be a part of the squad.

His stance is not going to get him anywhere as I said earlier. In the end it will only prove to be further detrimental to his image

He's based it on club form no? Lets be honest If he cant recognise what he does from over 45 games this season, 2 half games wont change his mind.

I would rather see us try and beat them by going for it, the tournemant comes along every four years, we could risk going out of the competition without a whimper, Chelse managed to do it by the skin of their teeth, it is not a good way to play, we are not a weaker side than Italy imo, the only side I would probably do the ultra defend thing is against Spain. Not really scared by France, lets be fearless and take them on.

The only way you get better is to expand and try. Otherwise we will always be where we are. This is the exact problem with this country. "We arent good enough, so we shouldnt even try" It's a terrible attitude. There is a generation coming through, that likes to get the ball down and play. Are we going to waste them too like we did with this lot?

Whats the point of playing 3-4 games of attacking, possession-based football this summer before getting kicked out. I am all for implementing that style of play but the fact is that we are underdogs going into Euro 2012 and if we want to put up a strong showing, then a defensive, counter-attacking system is the best way to go

Whats the point of playing 3-4 games of attacking, possession-based football this summer before getting kicked out. I am all for implementing that style of play but the fact is that we are underdogs going into Euro 2012 and if we want to put up a strong showing, then a defensive, counter-attacking system is the best way to go

Who said it had to be attacking, but we need to stop looking at short term thinking. Clearly we have learned nothing from the otehr nations.

Swallow your ego. This England squad is very bad as compared to other top nations. But since this is a cup tournament, the best team does not always win. If we play open, attacking football then we will more than likely exit from the group stages.

If we play defensive, counter-attacking football then we do have a chance, no matter how small, of putting up a strong showing

Compared to Spain and Germany I agree, they have some very good players where we can't compete, particularly midfield. But Italy, France, Holland, we are not far behind them at all..

He's based it on club form no? Lets be honest If he cant recognise what he does from over 45 games this season, 2 half games wont change his mind.

Still dont think thats a basis for Carrick to refuse to be a part of the squad. His stance only serves to work against him and its is more likely now that Hodgson will not recognize his talents. Atleast if he made himself availiable then he would have had an opportunity, no matter how small, to prove Hodgson wrong

Back