England Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter iNickStuff
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4K
  • Views Views 377K
I would rather see us try and beat them by going for it, the tournemant comes along every four years, we could risk going out of the competition without a whimper, Chelse managed to do it by the skin of their teeth, it is not a good way to play, we are not a weaker side than Italy imo, the only side I would probably do the ultra defend thing is against Spain. Not really scared by France, lets be fearless and take them on.

The only way you get better is to expand and try. Otherwise we will always be where we are. This is the exact problem with this country. "We arent good enough, so we shouldnt even try" It's a terrible attitude. There is a generation coming through, that likes to get the ball down and play. Are we going to waste them too like we did with this lot?

I personally did not care how Chelsea played against much better opponents, people say its "anti-football" but surely that is still football. And if by the same way England manage to win the Euro's i for one will not give 2 ***** and anyone being "negative" about it i will want to poke in the eye!

Still dont think thats a basis for Carrick to refuse to be a part of the squad. His stance only serves to work against him and its is more likely now that Hodgson will not recognize his talents. Atleast if he made himself availiable then he would have had an opportunity, no matter how small, to prove Hodgson wrong

You have missed the point. If he cant recognise what he can do, he isnt going to now. 2 half games wont show what 45 games can do. I said he should have stuck it out, but it also shows how myopic Hodsgon is.

Compared to Spain and Germany I agree, they have some very good players where we can't compete, particularly midfield. But Italy, France, Holland, we are not far behind them at all..

But their is no point in being fearless and attacking. If England stay compact at the back and take their chances then they have a higher chance of winning. Your comments are very Barcelona-esque where you refuse to win by defending because you think its beneath us.

Ultimately what would you prefer... Being attacking, open and expressive and having an early exit or playing a solid, defensive game and putting up a strong showing

Whats the point of playing 3-4 games of attacking, possession-based football this summer before getting kicked out. I am all for implementing that style of play but the fact is that we are underdogs going into Euro 2012 and if we want to put up a strong showing, then a defensive, counter-attacking system is the best way to go

To be honest I don't care about winning this trophy, it is unrealistic anyway. What I would rather is England trying young blood and trying to get some fluidity in our play, playing park the bus will get us nowhere in the future at all, relying on other team to miss, yeh great way to go.

You have missed the point. If he cant recognise what he can do, he isnt going to now. 2 half games wont show what 45 games can do. I said he should have stuck it out, but it also shows how myopic Hodsgon is.

Obviously Hodgson is a tool if he cant recognize that Carrick is more than a defensive midfielder but Carrick is wrong as well. Ultimately both their faults will perhaps force us to shoehorn Lampard into his role

I personally did not care how Chelsea played against much better opponents, people say its "anti-football" but surely that is still football. And if by the same way England manage to win the Euro's i for one will not give 2 ***** and anyone being "negative" about it i will want to poke in the eye!

Then you're entirely missing the point. We are talking about trying to get the nation to progress. I couldnt give two ***** what Chelsea do. I do care what England do, and its time we stop going backwards. Stop wasting what talent we have.

To be honest I don't care about winning this trophy, it is unrealistic anyway. What I would rather is England trying young blood and trying to get some fluidity in our play, playing park the bus will get us nowhere in the future at all, relying on other team to miss, yeh great way to go.

As about unrealistic as Chelsea winning the Champions League i would say.

Then you're entirely missing the point. We are talking about trying to get the nation to progress. I couldnt give two ***** what Chelsea do. I do care what England do, and its time we stop going backwards. Stop wasting what talent we have.

The talent we have are still miles behind the talent other countries have. We will always be behind it's as simple as that.

To be honest I don't care about winning this trophy, it is unrealistic anyway. What I would rather is England trying young blood and trying to get some fluidity in our play, playing park the bus will get us nowhere in the future at all, relying on other team to miss,yeh great way to go.

You are essentially saying that we should treat Euro 2012 as the Carling Cup where we can give the Youth some minutes and not pay much attention to actually winning the trophy. May I know whats the problem with parking the bus and having a strong showing and then playing a fluid, attacking system when we actually have the right players to do so

Such as Richards, Sturridge, Carrick for starters

The talent we have are still miles behind the talent other countries have. We will always be behind it's as simple as that.

Sigh this is what I'm talking about. You think they suddenly got where they were? No they recognised their flaws and put the work in and it took time and they got there. Spain were underacheivers for 44 years That is what we must do.

As about unrealistic as Chelsea winning the Champions League i would say.

Precisely my point, lets prepare for the World Cup and play the younger players and forget the old generation. How is parking the bus and playing on the counter going to progress us as a National footballing team... even if we win it by some miracle.. where do we go from there with that approach.

Edit: I know this won't happen now because Roy has chosen the same old players....

You guys do realise that there are other mentalities than just 'all out attack' and 'park the bus', don't you?

It should be a tournament where England can go and play without pressure. We're not expected to go far, so why not try some expansive football and build for the future?

I really dont understand how playing a tactic that is doomed to give us an early exit in the Euro's will make this nation go forward.

You are essentially saying that we should treat Euro 2012 as the Carling Cup where we can give the Youth some minutes and not pay much attention to actually winning the trophy. May I know whats the problem with parking the bus and having a strong showing and then playing a fluid, attacking system when we actually have the right players to do so

Such as Richards, Sturridge, Carrick for starters

Right there are not two ways to play, park the bus and attacking fluid football. There are a myriad of options in between for which we do have the players to play.

You guys do realise that there are other mentalities than just 'all out attack' and 'park the bus', don't you?

It should be a tournament where England can go and play without pressure. We're not expected to go far, so why not try some expansive football and build for the future?

Dont understand how playing 3-4 games with open, expansive football will help us build for the future

Right there are not two ways to play, park the bus and attacking fluid football. There are a myriad of options in between for which we do have the players to play.

Exactly but we should focus on putting up a strong performance instead of going for a tactic that may very well suit future generations but would make us look like fools in the Euro's.

Dont understand how playing 3-4 games with open, expansive football will help us build for the future

Well it won't now for this tournament because Roy has chosen the same old players.

Sigh this is what I'm talking about. You think they suddenly got where they were? No they recognised their flaws and put the work in and it took time and they got there. Spain were underacheivers for 44 years That is what we must do.

But they are much superior in terms of coaches and brains in terms of football. Who's to say the way Chelsea played is not football because it is. It was a strength in the team and we used it, for this tournament with the players picked the best way is to play the way Chelsea did.

I really dont understand how playing a tactic that is doomed to give us an early exit in the Euro's will make this nation go forward.

Short term pain for long term gain. We re talking about laying down a system for future teams to follow, that all 3 England sides should be playing. It will be tough, but as we learn it and get better it will improve and we will improve. Although have to be honest, I'm wondering if its coincidence that the people who want short term thinking happen to be Chelsea fans.

Exactly but we should focus on putting up a strong performance instead of going for a tactic that may very well suit future generations but would make us look like fools in the Euro's.

Is how we look more important that where we go as a country? This tournament was a free hit. No one expects to even get out the group stages. If there was a time where you could start to lay down an identity it would have been now.

Back