England Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter iNickStuff
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4K
  • Views Views 377K
Short term pain for long term gain. We re talking about laying down a system for future teams to follow, that all 3 England sides should be playing. It will be tough, but as we learn it and get better it will improve and we will improve. Although have to be honest, I'm wondering if its coincidence that the people who want short term thinking happen to be Chelsea fans.

I agree... but unfortunately there is no evidence of this happening, hence the Roy Hodgson appointment. However I will reserve proper judgement until I have seen England play, but I don't think he is the man to help England build for the future, but nor is Redknapp.

Precisely my point, lets prepare for the World Cup and play the younger players and forget the old generation. How is parking the bus and playing on the counter going to progress us as a National footballing team... even if we win it by some miracle.. where do we go from there with that approach.

Edit: I know this won't happen now because Roy has chosen the same old players....

So your saying we should use the Euro 2012 games to prepare for the World Cup which will take place in 2 years time.

So your saying we should use the Euro 2012 games to prepare for the World Cup which will take place in 2 years time.

Not just the world Cup, we talking about changing the scope of the nation.

Going back to Carrick saga, I personally don't blame him for not wanting to go. He's 30 now and has played well for the majority of his United career in the same role. Yet he is always a bit part player and others (barry, Lampard, Gerrard) are wrongfully picked ahead of him. He's probably sick of travelling everywhere and getting very little game time, even though he's shown he deserves it with club form. And as Mike said, if Hodgson ignores what he has done for United this season, playing parts of 2 friendlies won't change his mind

Short term pain for long term gain. We re talking about laying down a system for future teams to follow, that all 3 England sides should be playing. It will be tough, but as we learn it and get better it will improve and we will improve. Although have to be honest, I'm wondering if its coincidence that the people who want short term thinking happen to be Chelsea fans.

I would agree with you if we actually had the players who could play the sort of game your proposing. But since we dont, I dont see how playing that kind of style and getting massacred would really lay down any identity for us. Why not implement that style of play when we actually have a group of players to do it.

What your proposing is essentially AVB esque. Play a style completely unsuited to the squad. Do not care about the results since we are so **** anyways. Why not play a style which is actually suited to the squad we are taking and try to put in a strong performance

There is plenty of time to create an identity before the World Cup

Give the younger players who have been left out vital tournemant experience, I would of thought that would have been a key part for helping them at the World Cup having that experience.

[h=4]Direct approach[/h]Speaking about how Hodgson would differ to Capello, Brooking added: "I know he has spoken to a lot of the players and he appears to like a more direct approach, whereas Fabio was a little bit more detached.

"I am sure it will be different and we will only find that out now they are joining together."

England squad assembles | England Football Team News, Fixtures, Results | Sky Sports

I would agree with you if we actually had the players who could play the sort of game your proposing. But since we dont, I dont see how playing that kind of style and getting massacred would really lay down any identity for us. Why not implement that style of play when we actually have a group of players to do it.

What your proposing is essentially AVB esque. Play a style completely unsuited to the squad. Do not care about the results since we are so **** anyways. Why not play a style which is actually suited to the squad we are taking and try to put in a strong performance

There is plenty of time to create an identity before the World Cup

Rofl, since I didnt mention a style. So I dont know where you got that idea. So none of that makes any sense.

Give the younger players who have been left out vital tournemant experience, I would of thought that would have been a key part for helping them at the World Cup having that experience.

Direct approach

Speaking about how Hodgson would differ to Capello, Brooking added: "I know he has spoken to a lot of the players and he appears to like a more direct approach, whereas Fabio was a little bit more detached.

"I am sure it will be different and we will only find that out now they are joining together."

England squad assembles | England Football Team News, Fixtures, Results | Sky Sports

I am sure most of them get enough of that experience with their clubs. Dont see how getting massacred in 3-4 games on an international stage with the world watching will help them gain 'experience'

I'm sure Hodgson hasn't ignored what he has done this season but Carrick can't just demand to be played, I'm sure Hodgson will want to see all his players in training before he picks his team. Under previous managers, Carrick has been a bit part player, who knows what he could of been under Hodgson. Not sure why Roy is getting blamed for what ultimately was Carrick's decision.

Apologies, got mixed up between you and zzeezy

I will however give you one for the future:

4-2-3-1, medium tempo, looking to break on the wings via diagonal balls, using our bags of pace up front (Young, Rooney, Welbeck, DS, Lennon, Walcott, AJ, Chamberlain; take your pick of who you want to start) to get behind equal/superior teams, who will look to step up and play, forcing their line back. Shortening the length of passing vs "lesser teams", relying on threaded balls from AMC and MCr (Wilshere Carrick Cleverley Young (at AMC), McEachran (later on), and overloading attacking fullbacks (Cole Baines Bertrand Walker Richards Jones).

Thats not including players further down the line like Chabolah Shelvey Zaha etc.

That is something we can play now and can make our own in the future. Progressive, yet pragmatic when needed.

Last edited:
I'm sure Hodgson hasn't ignored what he has done this season but Carrick can't just demand to be played, I'm sure Hodgson will want to see all his players in training before he picks his team. Under previous managers, Carrick has been a bit part player, who knows what he could of been under Hodgson. Not sure why Roy is getting blamed for what ultimately was Carrick's decision.

Roy actually described him as a holding mid and said that he couldnt see that he was much better than Parker or Barry

I am sure most of them get enough of that experience with their clubs. Dont see how getting massacred in 3-4 games on an international stage with the world watching will help them gain 'experience'

Even if we went with the "Chelsea" approach like they did against Barca/Bayern, if you concede one goal you are totally screwed because then you have to start playing anyway..... such a stupid way to play considering we have players like Rooney, Welbeck, Gerrard, Ox... not like we can't compete in an attacking sense.

Even if we went with the "Chelsea" approach like they did against Barca/Bayern, if you concede one goal you are totally screwed because then you have to start playing anyway..... such a stupid way to play considering we have players like Rooney, Welbeck, Gerrard, Ox... not like we can't compete in an attacking sense.

Chelsea went 2 down and a man down vs Barca and scored. We also went a goal down in the final and scored. When the other side scores they will naturally go a little more defensively i.e Bayern brining off Muller for Van Buyten. That is when we bought on Torres for Kalou which made us more attacking which put more pressure on them and it was Torres who won the corner which led to our goal. As long as you stay compact at the back and don't concede then i believe your chances of winning the game go up.

There are many similarities within this England squad in player terms that could start.

GK: Hart - Cech, not much to say expect both are exceptional keepers.
DR: Johnson - Bosingwa, both decent going forward and poor positionally.
DL: Cole - Cole, same player.
DC: Terry - Terry, as above.
DC: Cahill - Cahill, as above.
DM/CM: Lampard - Lampard - as above.
DM/CM: Parker - Mikel, both good at reading the game and keeping the game flowing.
AMR: Walcott - Ramires, both blessed with pace and with this defensive game key when the ball is given to them to try and start counter attacks.
AML: Young - Kalou, Both reasonably quick inside wingers who can get key goals, both can also track back when needed.
AMC: Gerrard - Mata, the only position i believe that is different but if played close to the striker then Gerrard can do some damage. (replaced by Rooney when returned)
ST: Carroll - Drogba, both powerhouses and although Carroll is no where near Drogba standard they do have more similarities then people think.

Like i say there are similarities and if Hodgson chooses to play this way with this side then it won't effect the side of the future because a lot of these won't be there in 2 years time.

Well that was silly. No wonder he ruled himself out.

Thats the thing. I would rather that he had stuck it out. But when Roy says something like that, you know your summer is going to be wasted. Doesnt even know what role you play. Or, he does and has just decided to play you completely differently anyway.

There are many similarities within this England squad in player terms that could start.

GK: Hart - Cech, not much to say expect both are exceptional keepers.
DR: Johnson - Bosingwa, both decent going forward and poor positionally.
DL: Cole - Cole, same player.
DC: Terry - Terry, as above.
DC: Cahill - Cahill, as above.
DM/CM: Lampard - Lampard - as above.
DM/CM: Parker - Mikel, both good at reading the game and keeping the game flowing.
AMR: Walcott - Ramires, both blessed with pace and with this defensive game key when the ball is given to them to try and start counter attacks.
AML: Young - Kalou, Both reasonably quick inside wingers who can get key goals, both can also track back when needed.
AMC: Gerrard - Mata, the only position i believe that is different but if played close to the striker then Gerrard can do some damage. (replaced by Rooney when returned)
ST: Carroll - Drogba, both powerhouses and although Carroll is no where near Drogba standard they do have more similarities then people think.

Like i say there are similarities and if Hodgson chooses to play this way with this side then it won't effect the side of the future because a lot of these won't be there in 2 years time.

Should of appointed di matteo

Is this Robinson any good that has been called up for the friendly? Actually never seen him play.

I will however give you one for the future:

4-2-3-1, medium tempo, looking to break on the wings via diagonal balls, using our bags of pace up front (Young, Rooney, Welbeck, DS, Lennon, Walcott, AJ, Chamberlain; take your pick of who you want to start) to get behind equal/superior teams, who will look to step up and play, forcing their line back. Shortening the length of passing vs "lesser teams", relying on threaded balls from AMC and MCr (Wilshere Carrick Cleverley Young (at AMC), McEachran (later on), and overloading attacking fullbacks (Cole Baines Bertrand Walker Richards Jones).

Thats not including players further down the line like Chabolah Shelvey Zaha etc.

That is something we can play now and can make our own in the future. Progressive, yet pragmatic when needed.

Good tactic for the future but with our current squad, we should play a style of football that suits them and thats a compact, defensive counter-attacking style

Back