England Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter iNickStuff
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4K
  • Views Views 377K
I honestly think we both confused ourselves. I agreed with the tactic you posted up as long as you think it suited our squad. My point later on was that we might have to be even more defensive if we want to grind out a win against a team like Germany or Spain. If we do face that is

The squad can do that, what we could have had is also more. Rather than just riding out the storm, we could have had a genuine counter attacking ability that makes them think twice. Now its effectively just contain, and get lucky

The squad can do that, what we could have had is also more. Rather than just riding out the storm, we could have had a genuine counter attacking ability that makes them think twice. Now its effectively just contain, and get lucky

I agree with you completely but unfortunately due to the squad we possess, we dont have many options

That's why I'm so ****** off, the options were there.

Yes no question we could have gone in the Euro's with a much better squad. The absence of Richards and Carrick is a huge blow. Sturridge also could have snagged a place. Instead we have Downing going

But whats done is done, lets just hope Hodgson knows what he is doing

Personally, I would play something like this:

-----------Hart------------
--Cahill--Lescott--Jagielka--
-Johnson---Parker----Cole--
----------Gerrard----------
-Walcott--Rooney--Young--

That's what I would play, replacing Rooney with Carroll or Welbeck. Would be awesome fun seeing the England team trying to attempt it.

That's what I would play, replacing Rooney with Carroll or Welbeck. Would be awesome fun seeing the England team trying to attempt it.

You unorthodox nutter!!!

Would be a nice thing to try but personally I would play Rooney in Gerrard's position and Welbeck upfront, Rooney plays so much better behind the striker, rather than the lone-forward. Unfortunately that leaves Gerrard on the bench.

And in the likely chance we get dumped out early, it will be a horrible tournament, in which we learned nothing.

But most of these players don't need anything to learn!!! For most of them i.e Terry, Cole, Lampard, Gerrard, Parker and maybe more it is there last tournament.

The England National Team song:

[video=youtube;XFIrirnYMVw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=XFIrirnYMVw#![/video]

But most of these players don't need anything to learn!!! For most of them i.e Terry, Cole, Lampard, Gerrard, Parker and maybe more it is there last tournament.

Most of them? I think the majority of players in the current England squad will be around for a while yet. You say most of them and quote 5 players? What about Rooney, Jones, Welbeck, Baines, Cahill, Young, Walcott, Milner, Downing, Carroll, Johnson, Hart, Chamberlain.

Carrick seems to be getting some undeserved stick on here.
The way I understand it is that Carrick has been retired for months (after years of being ignored) and had asked for the FA to keep it quiet but that he's made it clear he'd be willing to come out of retirement if they were in desperate need. So he wouldn't come out of retirement just to make up the numbers at the Euro's. It's really not a case of him getting stroppy over not being deemed important by Hodgson and so completely pulling out.

Also, CJACKO, it's a bit rich for you to criticise him for supposedly taking his bit part role badly when you've spent half the season defending Lampard for supposedly doing the same thing.

Last edited:
Carrick seems to be getting some undeserved stick on here.
The way I understand it is that Carrick has been retired for months (after years of being ignored) and had asked for the FA to keep it quiet but that he's made it clear he'd be willing to come out of retirement if they were in desperate need. So he wouldn't come out of retirement just to make up the numbers at the Euro's. It's really not a case of him getting stroppy over not being deemed important by Hodgson and so completely pulling out.

Also, CJACKO, it's a bit rich for you to criticise him for supposedly taking his bit part role badly when you've spent half the season defending Lampard for supposedly doing the same thing.

3 years of 7 minutes here and there. And Hodgson thinks he is a holding mid. Like Scholes all over again.

It will be the only useful thing that comes out of this friendly

Pretty much. Would have been better to fully utilise it to really test it's effectiveness. But, it's a start nonetheless I suppose

So, John Ruddy's finger is broken, ruling him out of the UEFA European Championships, allowing for Birmingham City shot-stopper Jack Butland to step in for the injured Norwich goalkeeper.

Things have already gotten off to a good start with the England squad.

why isn't Fraser Foster our back up keeper instead of Butland? He's done well for Celtic whilst Butland has been playing for Cheltenham this season

why isn't Fraser Foster our back up keeper instead of Butland? He's done well for Celtic whilst Butland has been playing for Cheltenham this season

Says a lot for Scottish football lol. I believe the goalkeeping coach Hodgson has bought in (name escapes me) worked with Butland at Birmingham from a very early age.

Hodgson has also confirmed that Robert Green will start in goal for England in the weekend's friendly against Norway, with Steven Gerrard and Scott Parker in a midfield tandem.

Manchester United forward Danny Welbeck also confirmed fit to start in the UEFA European Championships which start in a fortnight.

Back