England Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter iNickStuff
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4K
  • Views Views 377K
Indeed, Roy has only had three days to train with the England squad, I just hope for our sake we play more progressively than we did tonight, press more to try and regain possession and keep the ball better.

In time it'll get better imo. We just need to prepare for this tournament, get it over and done with because tbh I don't expect much, and then start afresh. There's a lot of talent out there that we haven't used properly a la Rodwell, Barkleyetc...(lots of other names I can't remember off the top of my head) though with Rodwell that's been down to fitness issues. I would like us, like you mentioned, press more and attempt to get the ball more, but fitness majority of some players prevents that, and tiredness rapidly sets in, not entirely their fault though-there's just so many matches.

So all in all, I'm not expecting much for the Euros, but more hopeful for the future.

That was dull and quite depressing.

Functional. Pretty much as expected though? Two banks of four, look to Carroll to be the outlet for someone pacy, hope that someone has a moment of class to get the goal etc.

Gerrard didn't do too badly, but I can't see him breaking forward a lot over 90 minutes, and as ever his distribution from 20 yards inside his own half was erratic, to put it kindly.

Rooney's discipline will be tested a lot under this system. He's going to have to graft for very limited rewards.

In time it'll get better imo. We just need to prepare for this tournament, get it over and done with because tbh I don't expect much, and then start afresh. There's a lot of talent out there that we haven't used properly a la Rodwell, Barkleyetc...(lots of other names I can't remember off the top of my head) though with Rodwell that's been down to fitness issues. I would like us, like you mentioned, press more and attempt to get the ball more, but fitness majority of some players prevents that, and tiredness rapidly sets in, not entirely their fault though-there's just so many matches.

So all in all, I'm not expecting much for the Euros, but more hopeful for the future.

Agree with all that, also I think Adam Johnson showed more in 10 minutes than Downing did in 80. Apart from that cross, which was not hard, he had no contribution at all. I would play Alex Oxlade Chamberlain on one side of the flanks, because he looks a good prospect and he seems really up for the games when he plays. I do feel Roy has made some bad choices so far with player selections for the Euro's though, Carrick/A.Johnson/Richards/Jagielka in Barry/Downing/Jones/Terry out.

Functional. Pretty much as expected though? Two banks of four, look to Carroll to be the outlet for someone pacy, hope that someone has a moment of class to get the goal etc.

Gerrard didn't do too badly, but I can't see him breaking forward a lot over 90 minutes, and as ever his distribution from 20 yards inside his own half was erratic, to put it kindly.

Rooney's discipline will be tested a lot under this system. He's going to have to graft for very limited rewards.

Although I expected us to be organised, I did expect more of a control in this game, much more pressing to regain possession and to keep the ball better.

Agree with all that, also I think Adam Johnson showed more in 10 minutes than Downing did in 80. Apart from that cross, which was not hard, he had no contribution at all. I would play Alex Oxlade Chamberlain on one side of the flanks, because he looks a good prospect and he seems really up for the games when he plays. I do feel Roy has made some bad choices so far with player selections for the Euro's though, Carrick/A.Johnson/Richards/Jagielka in Barry/Downing/Jones/Terry out.

Only thing I'm torn on is Gerrard. Ok he plays for Liverpool et al, but I've ALWAYS loved watching him play, he's just such a fantastic player.....I can't decide wether he should start or not because he's become erratic.. Tbh he may have CL medal, domestic winner medals....but personally I'd think it would be such a travesty for such a gifted player to finish his career, without winning a major international tournament. Just think it would be such a shame if he came away with nothing internationally.

Thought it was worse than functional, expected some of the overall play, but then the second half was dire, and even within his more cautious set out, we were very limited, and I expected more. Whether we will see that vs Belgium is another thing.

Only thing I'm torn on is Gerrard. Ok he plays for Liverpool et al, but I've ALWAYS loved watching him play, he's just such a fantastic player.....I can't decide wether he should start or not because he's become erratic.. Tbh he may have CL medal, domestic winner medals....but personally I'd think it would be such a travesty for such a gifted player to finish his career, without winning a major international tournament. Just think it would be such a shame if he came away with nothing internationally.

He should start, as an AM. Absolute wrecking ball there.

No doubt he is a great player on his day, but the position he was played in tonight is not where he should be playing, his distribution of the ball in his own half was pretty woeful, he needs to play in that AMC position behind the striker. The problem is I do not see a place for him in the first eleven when Rooney is fit, but I think Hodgson will play Gerrard where he did tonight when Rooney is fit, simply because he is the captain and can be a game changer, not from the position he played tonight though.

The above posts pretty much summed up what I thought-he has (unfortunately) been the square peg being forced into a round hole. Everyone can pretty much see he's destroys at AMC as Mike. pointed out-everyone can see it. But if you put him in places he cannot perform as he has in the past-he'll suffer. If he'd been placed in positions where he plays his absolute best in the past-who knows what would've happened. Hindsight is a great thing I guess lol. Which is why I'm hopeful for Barkley in the future. He is pretty much a Gerrard but an Evertonian one. Give him the right coaching etc, and he WILL be an excellent international for England.

The above posts pretty much summed up what I thought-he has (unfortunately) been the square peg being forced into a round hole. Everyone can pretty much see he's destroys at AMC as Mike. pointed out-everyone can see it. But if you put him in places he cannot perform as he has in the past-he'll suffer. If he'd been placed in positions where he plays his absolute best in the past-who knows what would've happened. Hindsight is a great thing I guess lol. Which is why I'm hopeful for Barkley in the future. He is pretty much a Gerrard but an Evertonian one. Give him the right coaching etc, and he WILL be an excellent international for England.

I am excited about quite a few young players we have for England especially the ones you mentioned, also Steven Caulker seems to be a good prospect, been very solid for Swansea. Also still have high hopes for McEachran, although he is not getting game time at the moment, which is worrying for his progression. Probably more you and I have not mentioned as well, the forseeable future does not look too bad imo.

I am excited about quite a few young players we have for England especially the ones you mentioned, also Steven Caulker seems to be a good prospect, been very solid for Swansea. Also still have high hopes for McEachran, although he is not getting game time at the moment, which is worrying for his progression. Probably more you and I have not mentioned as well, the forseeable future does not look too bad imo.

Yeah,if Josh gets the game time he deserves he'll develop into a tremondous player. It's a shame he hasn't got the gametime his ability warrants, but thats football I guess-if other players play better you're screwed. But I still think he'll become an excellent player. No doubt (if we're lucky) he'll get some development at Goodison-which i'd dearly love to see. He's just such an exciting prospect

Thought it was worse than functional, expected some of the overall play, but then the second half was dire, and even within his more cautious set out, we were very limited, and I expected more. Whether we will see that vs Belgium is another thing.

Think the lack of penetration against teams where England are expected to dominate will be an issue. May be that we'll see Lampard and Gerrard rotated in the centre to try and provide some quality running into the box. Norway are a very poor team at the moment, but can see why Hodgson would want the win above anything else. Belgium have a bit more about them so will be interesting to see whether the midfield will be exposed by players with a bit more class going forward.

Think the lack of penetration against teams where England are expected to dominate will be an issue. May be that we'll see Lampard and Gerrard rotated in the centre to try and provide some quality running into the box. Norway are a very poor team at the moment, but can see why Hodgson would want the win above anything else. Belgium have a bit more about them so will be interesting to see whether the midfield will be exposed by players with a bit more class going forward.

This is my worry, we lost control of the game in the second half against a team who played like they were on holiday and didn't have any real kind of pressing game. Belgium most certainly have more about them, and I am not confident at all. And agree about penetration as well. Hopefully I will turn out to be completely wrong against Belgium.

This is my worry, we lost control of the game in the second half against a team who played like they were on holiday and didn't have any real kind of pressing game. Belgium most certainly have more about them, and I am not confident at all. And agree about penetration as well. Hopefully I will turn out to be completely wrong against Belgium.

Agreed, surely we have to press teams a lot more to try and regain possession, if we play like that in the Euro's I am very worried. But at the moment I am slightly optimistic because Roy has only had like three days with the squad (not the full squad) and that team will probably look nothing like the one that starts against France (probably Belguim as well).

Adam Johnson did more in five minutes than Downing did in 85. Johnson can actually have an impact on the game, Downing has done **** all and somehow manages to get in the squad despite being utter *****.

Agreed, surely we have to press teams a lot more to try and regain possession, if we play like that in the Euro's I am very worried. But at the moment I am slightly optimistic because Roy has only had like three days with the squad (not the full squad) and that team will probably look nothing like the one that starts against France (probably Belguim as well).

With the squad that Hodgsen picked, and the way we played yesterday: i don't see us playing a pressing game in the euros. 10 Men behind the ball and hit them on the break. Which could work really well, as long as we have a good regista to start the play from deep. Not sure who that playmaker is though, even though I'm a massive fan of his, Gerrard seems to misplace a lot of passes.

Last edited:
Adam Johnson did more in five minutes than Downing did in 85. Johnson can actually have an impact on the game, Downing has done **** all and somehow manages to get in the squad despite being utter *****.

If he wasn't left footed, he wouldn't have half the England caps that he does IMO. Always thought he was fairly good at best, poor at worst and most of the time completely ordinary.

With the squad that Hodgsen picked, and the way we played yesterday: i don't see us playing a pressing game in the euros. 10 Men behind the ball and hit them on the break. Which could work really well, as long as we have a good regista to start the play from deep. Not sure who that playmaker is though, Gerrard seems to misplace a lot of passes.

Not sure I agree, maybe against far superior teams but against a team like Norway, we should be the team that has the control in that game, not inviting them on to us, Belguim next week could be a test because they have better attacking quality players who could give Roy a very tough night if we play like we did tonight.

But we are a far better team than putting 10 men behind the ball, apart from the top dogs (Germany, Spain, France) our team is more than capable against anyone in my opinion to actually 'play' against them.

With the squad that Hodgsen picked, and the way we played yesterday: i don't see us playing a pressing game in the euros. 10 Men behind the ball and hit them on the break. Which could work really well, as long as we have a good regista to start the play from deep. Not sure who that playmaker is though, even though I'm a massive fan of his, Gerrard seems to misplace a lot of passes.

The regista is the problem, we didnt take one. Hard to see where we will create the counter from now.

Not sure I agree, maybe against far superior teams but against a team like Norway, we should be the team that has the control in that game, not inviting them on to us, Belguim next week could be a test because they have better attacking quality players who could give Roy a very tough night if we play like we did tonight.

But we are a far better team than putting 10 men behind the ball, apart from the top dogs (Germany, Spain, France) our team is more than capable against anyone in my opinion to actually 'play' against them.

Theres definitely a lot of talent, no doubt. Just more of a case of time to organise, thats perhaps why he's playing that style of football. They could eventually try to control games, but perhaps not in the time that Hodgson has had with the squad... 3 days was it before that game? Takes time to develop the style of play etc. So I'd expect to see more of the same until after the euros.

Back