England Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter iNickStuff
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4K
  • Views Views 377K
The England Injured/Reject XI is looking pretty strong, even without the likes of Scholes, Bent, Barry etc.

Ruddy
Smalling - Cahill - Ferdinand - Gibbs
Carrick - Lampard
Lennon - Wilshere - Johnson
Sturridge

This may sound a little harsh but I'm happy that it was Cahill who came off worse rather than Hart. Cahill is replaceable, Hart really isn't

Kelly instead of Richards or Rio.... what on gods name is Hodgson playing at.

This may sound a little harsh but I'm happy that it was Cahill who came off worse rather than Hart. Cahill is replaceable, Hart really isn't

I am sure most if not all England fans feel the same. If only one of the two could only be in the squad I would rather it be Hart aswell. We have other good defenders such as Jagielka, Lescott Terry etc but if anything happens to Hart we are stuck with either Robert Green or Jack Butland :/

Still no Richards. I hope the media presses Hodgson strongly for an answer to this

Still no Richards. I hope the media presses Hodgson strongly for an answer to this

Just like Carrick he refused to be named in standby list. So Roy didn't much chance, but point is they should have been in main squad in the first place.

Just like Carrick he refused to be named in standby list. So Roy didn't much chance, but point is they should have been in main squad in the first place.

Dont get why Kelly though. Richards can cover for CB and he the best RB in the PLM for my money. Why he has not been selected by Capello and now Hodgson is very interesting and unusual

Dont get why Kelly though. Richards can cover for CB and he the best RB in the PLM for my money. Why he has not been selected by Capello and now Hodgson is very interesting and unusual

Yeah but once Richards shut the door, his chances were close to 0%. But all this could have been avoided.

Yeah but once Richards shut the door, his chances were close to 0%. But all this could have been avoided.

Same like the Carrick situation. Oh well this situation keeps getting better and better

I don't really blame Richards not wanting to be on the standby list... how Hodgson can't see he should be in the 23 man squad is beyond me, definitely our best defensive Right back by a mile, versatile as well because he can also play as a Centre Back. You simply can not excuse his omission from the squad when you have just brought in Martin Kelly.

Well in Martin, never seen him play badly. Gonna be a great player, made up for him.

6 Liverpool players in the squad now.

Yer, 2 by defalt!

Same. Unfortunately Terry will never be dropped.

Terry shoudn't be dropped because he is still a quality centre back, how simple can it get?

So am i, although i am gutted for the lad as he deserves to start im glad both he and Lamps will have a full summers rest.

I'm fine with Kelly being brought in. At the end of the day, it isn't Ferdinand, so we have things to be thankful for.

Mertens did apologise to Gary Cahill on Twitter. Decent thing to do

And now all we need is for Gerrard to get injured. Then we are looking at a Henderson-Parker double pivot in the middle folks. Good times

I'm fine with Kelly being brought in. At the end of the day, it isn't Ferdinand, so we have things to be thankful for.

What is that supposed to mean? How can you say be thankful it isn't Ferdinand... he is one of the best English Centre Back's and he is still arguably the best. He offers more to a squad than ****** Kelly.... my god.

What is that supposed to mean? How can you say be thankful it isn't Ferdinand... he is one of the best English Centre Back's and he is still arguably the best. He offers more to a squad than ****** Kelly.... my god.

In my opinion, you'd have to argue pretty hard that he's the best English centre-back. In fact, I'd say he isn't even the best English centre-back at his own club, let alone the country.

I think that between Ferdinand's injuries and his declining pace, it's probably time to bring new blood into the setup. He's also continuing with his bizarre obsession of playing about 10 yards deeper than any other defender, which really doesn't help matters. Moreover, Ferdinand's lack of pace wouldn't be such a problem if he could play a more advanced role, the stopper rather than the sweeper if you will. However, not only is it not his favoured position, but we've got better defenders suited to it and crucially only one who has the speed and reading of the game to properly sweep (Jagielka).

As such, my dislike of Ferdinand for England is based mostly upon horses for courses, not necessarily player quality. However, I'd be intrigued to see how he offers more to a squad, in your opinion, than the versatile Kelly.

In my opinion, you'd have to argue pretty hard that he's the best English centre-back. In fact, I'd say he isn't even the best English centre-back at his own club, let alone the country.

I think that between Ferdinand's injuries and his declining pace, it's probably time to bring new blood into the setup. He's also continuing with his bizarre obsession of playing about 10 yards deeper than any other defender, which really doesn't help matters. Moreover, Ferdinand's lack of pace wouldn't be such a problem if he could play a more advanced role, the stopper rather than the sweeper if you will. However, not only is it not his favoured position, but we've got better defenders suited to it and crucially only one who has the speed and reading of the game to properly sweep (Jagielka).

As such, my dislike of Ferdinand for England is based mostly upon horses for courses, not necessarily player quality. However, I'd be intrigued to see how he offers more to a squad, in your opinion, than the versatile Kelly.

If you want versatility you take Micah Richards, if you want still a very good Centre Back and a wealth of experience at national level then you take Ferdinand. No way Kelly should of been near this squad.

I agree with this. Ferdinand has been on a slow decline with the amount of injuries he has suffered and, after this ordeal, it's perhaps safe to say that there will not be an England swansong for him. Manchester United are aware of the fact that he is starting to become less important and, with what Jonny Evans has shown in his potential, he could be off by next year - Major League Soccer I'd assume.

And Martin Kelly, although not the greatest option, is a versatile enough option to be brought into the England squad. He is a decent defender, willing to play a bit-part role unlike Micah Richards and this can prove to be a good experience for him. He may not start every game, but it will put him in good stead for the 2014 FIFA World Cup qualifying games and future friendlies. If Hodgson sticks around post-2014 World Cup, Kelly will have become accustomed to the England setup I'm sure.

If you want versatility you take Micah Richards, if you want still a very good Centre Back and a wealth of experience at national level then you take Ferdinand. No way Kelly should of been near this squad.

Meh, Micah Richards is a different argument entirely. From what I heard, he asked not to be considered, Carrick style.

If you want a very good centre-back who is quick, equally comfortable at centre-back, right-back or even occasionally left-back, who is young, can garner experience, won't mind being left on the bench or even not in the matchday squad, will benefit from the experience and be used in the future, is unlikely to get injured and is very capable of playing a sweeper role that England is currently short of, take Kelly. With Ferdinand more than half of those benefits won't occur.

Curious to know who is? Forget English or Irish, he is the best CB at his club. Second comes Evans and Smalling.

His pace has declined and he has adapted to new role superbly. He hardly put a foot wrong since the City game.

Re call up, Roy ****** it up with the initial squad by not naming Carrick and Richards. Then it had to be Terry or Rio, he chose Terry but to give 'footballing reason' was beyond joke.

Even if Lescott, Jags get injured I dont think Rio will get call up, after all what happened at Loftus road.

Meh, Micah Richards is a different argument entirely. From what I heard, he asked not to be considered, Carrick style.

If you want a very good centre-back who is quick, equally comfortable at centre-back, right-back or even occasionally left-back, who is young, can garner experience, won't mind being left on the bench or even not in the matchday squad, will benefit from the experience and be used in the future, is unlikely to get injured and is very capable of playing a sweeper role that England is currently short of, take Kelly. With Ferdinand more than half of those benefits won't occur.

That you never know. He missed most games injured than Rio this season for example. And Kelly has played grand total of 0 games as CB for Liverpool senior team (according to other LFC fans).

Back